Re: WHAT have I done!!!!!!

well, Spinetti, Crown Brick vs Franken-rolla it is then!

...shall we say, The Game is Afoot!   smile

Sounds like a cool and crazy project.

Better change the starter before you put the motor in.

Where are you gonna get a cheap Supra transmission and associated parts?

I have always wanted to put a Q45 motor in a Z but it's just seems like a futile waste.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

28 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-05-10 06:47 AM)

Alkire Romeo wrote:

When I told him that it was rough, but what we were looking for, I asked him how low he would go.  The answer was $400.  I then called Mr. Spinnetti (the car leader) and asked him if he really wanted it.  With a little hesitation, he said "can he go any lower"?  I then asked the seller if we gave him $300 cash, would he take it?  Some grumbling and groaning and then "if you take it tonight, then I guess so".....YES!!!

Spinnetti came by an hour and a half later with the trailer and we had ourselves a Lexus.

Oh, one other detail: To get that price, he also took out the battery, so we had to do a 3 ring circus to borrow the battery to get it on the trailer, then grab the battery out of our current Team Celica to get the dang thing off the trailer. More ironic to me was that I towed 6,000 lb of car and trailer home with my VW! Can you imagine saying that just a few years back?

PS
Here's the link to the craigs list ad - its still up, so I want you doubters to go see it NOW before the ad gets deleted. I also did a PDF print of it, and will be using this post as evidence as well.. This feels like CSI Lemons, but don't be a hater; Post everything you want to know as we go and I'll provide details - I don't want anybody to think we can't do this on budget.

The Lex ad - Can't believe we found it at all really
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/1127812112.html

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Troy wrote:

Sounds like a cool and crazy project.

Better change the starter before you put the motor in.

Where are you gonna get a cheap Supra transmission and associated parts?

I have always wanted to put a Q45 motor in a Z but it's just seems like a futile waste.

Serj, funny - I'm sure we'll have fun. Heck, we had fun dodging you with our Celica too.

Troy, the starter is very strong smile we will see how it goes... I hope everybody doesn't turn on us.. that would be a bummer sad We aren't going to try for the manual trans (I'm not anyway)... Though I would prefer that, and the guy I got the Corolla from has cheap parts all lined up for us, the advice is that its just not believable, even if we do it all within the rules. I'm gonna hate getting crushed just because people won't believe the truth. Q45 motor in a z would be great... lighter too..

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinetti,

I just assumed that by SOHC, you meant Several OverHead Cams.  Right?   wink

TravelingWilburys wrote:

Spinetti,

I just assumed that by SOHC, you meant Several OverHead Cams.  Right?   wink

lol... yea, like 4 of them, all lined up, with no waiting... I like your user name btw.

Let's see, I love this motor, I used to own an AE86, and the Lexus LS is one of my favorite cars of all time. There's not a lot here that isn't totally sweet. Godspeed, young man. Too bad you can't do this for $500: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sT2BQ4uc

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Let's see, I love this motor, I used to own an AE86, and the Lexus LS is one of my favorite cars of all time. There's not a lot here that isn't totally sweet. Godspeed, young man. Too bad you can't do this for $500: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sT2BQ4uc

Whuuutttt? Why not? Obvioulsy i haven't done the work yet, but rode in the car of a guy who has. I have a AE86 you might like, and have been racing it for 17 years! I've also had an LS400 as a daily driver...

Corolla was free
Lex was $300
Driveshaft mod maybe around $150 I'm told
I'm sure we can sell off stuff, and reuse most of the rest of what we need from the lex.
We'll use the existing auto trans.
We've bought before, and can again $40 coilover kit.

What else am I missing?

I think what Mr. Nick is referring to is... EXPERIENCE!

Listen to the wise, old sages of Lemons past.  If Nick says it can't be done for $500, it can't be done for $500.  I'd start on a different project.  Maybe a Checker Marathon!

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Spinnetti wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Whuuutttt? Why not? Obvioulsy i haven't done the work yet, but rode in the car of a guy who has. I have a AE86 you might like, and have been racing it for 17 years! I've also had an LS400 as a daily driver...

I think he meant you can't do the ITB setup like in the YouTube video for $500.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

36 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-05-11 05:16 PM)

bongle wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

I think he meant you can't do the ITB setup like in the YouTube video for $500.

Ah, now THAT I would agree with! That was sick! I was at work, so I couldn't watch the video. Clearly that had other mods too.

Well, Nick, you are welcome to come help on the Hachi. I hope we can pull it off and I hope you all like it!

Yeah, I don't see why you can't combine a Lexus LS and a derelict Corolla into a single car for $500....it's just the throttle bodies that'll push it over the top!

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Yeah, I don't see why you can't combine a Lexus LS and a derelict Corolla into a single car for $500....it's just the throttle bodies that'll push it over the top!

Throttle bodies are cheap at Pick Your Part. Just use plumbing fittings and JB Weld to fab up a galvanized-and-PVC intake manifold and you'll be ready to go. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh, and you should definitely print out that CL ad for your records before it expires. And, just to be safe, contact your lawyer to discuss a defense strategy for "receiving stolen property." I mean, why else would you have two cheap-ass cars with no titles?

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Oh, and you should definitely print out that CL ad for your records before it expires. And, just to be safe, contact your lawyer to discuss a defense strategy for "receiving stolen property." I mean, why else would you have two cheap-ass cars with no titles?

The documentation problem sort of solves itself, because if by some miracle the car goes fast and holds together for an entire day of racing and the crowd doesn't believe their accounting...

You guys are scaring me... Looks at the CL ads here in Kentucky.. 1/2 of the cheap cars have no title.. weird I know... Never saw that where  I came from in Michigan....

BTW, I hope Nick and Murilee both checked out the CL ad for the lex before it expires - Thats part of the evidence chain! You can see it is for $500, but not what I paid. I got it from a genu-ine repo man, and the sale was notarized. He said it sat at their place for several years, and by the poor ad you can see how it  was easily overlooked by folks. Probably doesn't help that the air suspension is totally failed and thousands to fix! I can give you the name of the guy I got the Corolla from if you want to call him. He has a yard full and I have pics to prove it. - You can see there's nothing to it- its completely stripped and totally banged up (its the remains from him stripping several different ones for parts and giving me the leftovers). Even nice ones don't go for much money (look on ebay right now for instance)....

I know Corollas as well as anybody, and it dang well better hold together, but if you guys put much more fear of the crusher into me (i.e. discouraging an interesting AND legal build, and not believing the truth as best as I can prove it) then I'll just run the stock motor. We haven't started tearing down the lex yet, and my team is not wanting to give the engine back to me when done racing it anyway, so maybe another time. Heck, if notarized proof on the lex isn't enough, nothing will be anyway I guess. sad

Below is the listing for the '91 Lexus (I printed it out as well).

Really descriptive...must have been a marketing major:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/1127812112.html

I wonder why noone called?

'94 Alfa Spider Veloce CE, '69 Alfa GTV, '65 Alfa Giulia Super
'05 Toyota 4-Runner, '12 Lexus CT200h

Spinnetti wrote:

Oh, one other detail: To get that price, he also took out the battery, so we had to do a 3 ring circus to borrow the battery to get it on the trailer, then grab the battery out of our current Team Celica to get the dang thing off the trailer. More ironic to me was that I towed 6,000 lb of car and trailer home with my VW! Can you imagine saying that just a few years back?

Ha, when we picked up our 200sx, we had to 1) hot wire it to get it to start as the key cylinder was jammed, 2) use the battery from the car we came in to start it and then drive it home on that battery. The car we came in drove home sans battery smile

Hybridchemistry wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Ha, when we picked up our 200sx, we had to 1) hot wire it to get it to start as the key cylinder was jammed, 2) use the battery from the car we came in to start it and then drive it home on that battery. The car we came in drove home sans battery smile

Good one!

The guy I got the Corolla from has a 90 or 91 240z too... only wants $300 for it, and it has a straight body... Automatic tho, and the engine is out of it sad

Spinnetti wrote:

f you guys put much more fear of the crusher into me (i.e. discouraging an interesting AND legal build, and not believing the truth as best as I can prove it)(

You just need to remember that your job isn't done once you sell the judges on the legitimacy of your budget. You need to convince the other teams as well. Just put up a "How We Built This Car" sign like the Eyesore Racing guys did with their Frankenmiata, and then make sure you lend a helpful wrench to other teams in need during the race. They built a turbocharged Miata, stayed among the top cars the whole race, and didn't get any Curse votes that I know of.

then again, we ran a 98 crown vic on it's 3rd event showing, and i KNOW we got at least one curse vote because the Ambulance Chasers had it in for us. lets just say upon the slight mishap we had they were positively cheering for worse upon us...in front of my wife...

...yes, they got an earful!

MurileeMartin wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

f you guys put much more fear of the crusher into me (i.e. discouraging an interesting AND legal build, and not believing the truth as best as I can prove it)(

You just need to remember that your job isn't done once you sell the judges on the legitimacy of your budget. You need to convince the other teams as well. Just put up a "How We Built This Car" sign like the Eyesore Racing guys did with their Frankenmiata, and then make sure you lend a helpful wrench to other teams in need during the race. They built a turbocharged Miata, stayed among the top cars the whole race, and didn't get any Curse votes that I know of.

I hear ya... Heck, at Toledo we gave some of your Jalopnik guys the whole left front corner for their Celica GT-S when it broke, so we do try to help out... Maybe just discouraged a bit... I guess the question is, "play it boring and safe" or be original?...  Always a price for being different I guess. If the team will support it, I'll still do it, and if not, if there's others here that want to do it with me, I'll do it anyway! What's a drive in the Hachi-Hibachi worth to ya people? (PS, the motor supposedly only has 60k on a rebuild and the starter works great wink

Spinnetti wrote:

Heck, at Toledo we gave some of your Jalopnik guys the whole left front corner for their Celica GT-S when it broke

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to join the other Jalopnik guys at that race (they're based in Detroit, I'm in California), but their Toyota turned out to be kind of a horrible pile of crap so it was just as well. Wait a minute, horrible piles of crap at a Lemons race?

MurileeMartin wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Heck, at Toledo we gave some of your Jalopnik guys the whole left front corner for their Celica GT-S when it broke

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to join the other Jalopnik guys at that race (they're based in Detroit, I'm in California), but their Toyota turned out to be kind of a horrible pile of crap so it was just as well. Wait a minute, horrible piles of crap at a Lemons race?

lol... And I was looking enviously at their piece of crap!

Ours is an ST with drum brakes, no sway bars to speak of and the ultra low revving camry based motor... Unlike most manufacturers, the "GT-S" label really meant something back then.. well, at least until 1988 or so when it became just a tack on body kit and sticker package like everybody else.

Spinnetti, awesome scores!  Your LS400 looks better than my wife's...  If you were interested in recouping some of your costs, I might come up and buy some parts from it.  I need some trim, we could trade a fender, trade the front bumper, etc.  I would pay for them and you would still have parts to put on there - just mismatched and slightly dented parts.  It would give you some breathing room in your budget.

I hope your project goes well, because it is one seriously cool idea.  Especially for Lemons!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.