Topic: cup to lemon

what would be the legality of taking an old (old meaning non competitive in any series beside chump)ARCA/Cup roller chassis that I can get for around $500 these can be found pretty regular on racing junk if you look close the only real value being the cage and putting running gear out of a cheap 300ish dollar car in the rolling chassis and going lemon racing seems like a really easy way to get all the safety stuff out of the way. an old cup car really has no advantage over your average lemon when you put lemon engine suspension etc in it but its definatly safe

smile

thanks in advance

Re: cup to lemon

First sentence in section 2.1 of the rules will probably pose a problem for you:

Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture.

White Trash Racing - Fail Neon

hmm i gottcha what is considered the vehicle the chassis would have the lemon body and running gear in it....

and suspension...

You are talking a tube chassis car right?

If so.. No.

Daniel Sycks

Whatever it is, it has to be a road worthy, mass produced, titled vehicle at one time.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

7 (edited by RogueLeader 2011-08-19 06:26 AM)

This has been brought up in the past, I think one team went so far as to actually bring one.

That said IIRC this is a definite no, no matter what engine or running gear you put in it.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Tube frame, no go.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

There is/are/was a ARCA circle track spec-car class that starts with I think a B-body frame - and is supposed to be mostly unmolested from that - but those also had the bodies completely ripped off and thin-skin doesn't-look-like bodies were put back on, which makes the no crumple-zone modifications rule take effect, so Nope, not those either.

Evil Genius wrote:

Tube frame, no go.

I'm new so .....

Tube chassis are scratch built frames made from "tubing" and are not allowed in Lemons. Factory suspension components connected by custom made ladder-type frame rails are allowed?

Jalopyshoppe wrote:
Do the best you can with what you have. If someone else has what you want beat them up and take it. Can't do that? Don't know what to tell you.

Hangernade wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

Tube frame, no go.

I'm new so .....

Tube chassis are scratch built frames made from "tubing" and are not allowed in Lemons. Factory suspension components connected by custom made ladder-type frame rails are allowed?

No, that would also not be considered to be a production based car.  Now it may be possible to take on of the so called "modified" cars that were based on the GM G-body chassis, remove the fake race car/truck body, re-assemble it with the stock Monte Carlo body, put a stock Monte Carlo 305 in it and make it meet the letter of the rules.  But wouldn't it just make more sense to get an old race car, strip it for the racy parts and bolt them back onto a G-body that you pulled out of someones back yard?  You may even be able to cut the whole cage out and drop in in, then weld the roof back on like Speedy cop did with the Impala Wagon recently.  Of course the roll cage the care came with is not necessarily going to pass muster with Evil Genius and the Lemons judging.

There have been quite a few ex-local short track street stock cars that have be re-purposed for Lemons racing though.  But those are usually much closer to a "Stock" car then a Stockcar.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

I have to ask on the frame issue because I'm a huge fan of the Model T GT. Have you seen the Hot Rod magazine pics of the T? They custom hand made a frame for that car.

Jalopyshoppe wrote:
Do the best you can with what you have. If someone else has what you want beat them up and take it. Can't do that? Don't know what to tell you.

oh i was waiting on that question.

Team Mid-Life Crisis    Smokey and the Bandit 300zx Twans Am
                                           LeMonza CMP Spring 2013

14 (edited by crazymike 2011-08-19 04:12 PM)

MTGT is a Model A frame grafted to a tube-frame safety cell. or vice versa.
The whole model A frame is there. Bodywork is mix 'n match to fit where it does.

while kinda intrinsically racey 'cause when you build said safety cell you have unlimited potential for suspension sub-assemblies and p/u point geometry changes, it's legal.

~they used out-of-the-wrecking yard parts for said suspension, with some thought to locations, restricted by lengths and location on the Model A frame.

(I think it's a Pinto/Mustang II front cross member and something like a Ranger rear axle? the engine that was formerly in DeathCab, A T-5WC out of so many trashed boxes spares they keep breaking - but all Found On Road Dead parts, true to form)

I think it is wrong to call it a Model "T" though - it is a Model "A" frame, a whole different animal and I don't care if you put a lunar lander on top of it, what the tires attach to started out as Model "A". Sort of...
Call it a Rangy Model A Pinto Tee Truck...

Model T GT does not use a model A or T frame. They used the frame as a guide to build a new frame. You can see the set up in Hot Rod magazine. They leveled up a model a frame and built a new frame over the top of it. It uses a pinto front cross member with a ford 8.8 axle on the back. Frame looks more solid than most factory frames.

Jalopyshoppe wrote:

They ~said~ it was a model A frame, it looked like one when they were putting a cage on top of it (and a mile of "other" tubing)
- I guess I need to look at the article, see if they cut the A frame out from under the tubing and perhaps respect them less...

The Hot Rod article clearly shows the frame being built. I think with a local dirt-track chassis, you're going to want to speak with the head perpetrator and make sure it's kosher. That'll probably require a ridiculously cool/funny/uncompetitive theme. Even then you're going to want one of the tech inspectors to look at the chassis before you get too far to make sure the original builder didn't use iron pipe or something stupid like that. Having talked with a few circle track guys, ERW is the tubing of choice for their cages, and you want DOM.

18 (edited by Jalopyshoppe 2011-08-20 08:32 AM)

The hot rod article kinda mixed up the facts. It is a Model A frame. We have ANOTHER model A frame (actually a AA truck frame) that we use as a frame jig. We made several modifications to the rails, including Z'ing the front to stub the Pinto clip on.
The front clip is pinto, and the rear is Fox body Mustang. It's titled and registered as a Model T, because the body and pick-up bed are both 27 Model T. The other 27 Model T I drove was built using Model A rails as well. Still titled as a T. The VIN verifier (yes, it has a real VIN) looks at the vin, looks at rhe car and says, yes it's a 27 T, and that vin is attached. There is no such thing as VIN decoding on frames that old.

Smokey Yunick, Jim Hall, Chad Knaus, and Me...

And, the "mile" of other tubing is all part of the cage. It needed to be reinforced tip to tail, and have. Nerf bars added in order to meet safety requirements. The nerf bars, fenders, bumpers, front crash protection, etc. were all added so it would comply with safety rules. The last thing a hot rodder wants to do is add more metal. Kinda defeats the idea of building a light-weight car. It would look much better and be much lighter with less tubing... It just wouldn't be safe enough to race.

And, the "mile" of other tubing is all part of the cage. It needed to be reinforced tip to tail, and have. Nerf bars added in order to meet safety requirements. The nerf bars, fenders, bumpers, front crash protection, etc. were all added so it would comply with safety rules. The last thing a hot rodder wants to do is add more metal. Kinda defeats the idea of building a light-weight car. It would look much better and be much lighter with less tubing... It just wouldn't be safe enough to race.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/2545208473.html

Yep - what I saw, an A frame sandwiched in there somewhere.
Not entirely what Spank's doing with the Mokiat, but on a similar track

(He should tube-frame reinforce that beast!)

I know the body number is attached to the cowl in most of the early car crowd, and that that is what "everybody has done for years" but...
IMHO I feel that it's more like a motorcycle where it's the frame that makes the VIN and you can call the body whatever you want... Call someone's Harley creation an S&S, or a 'rumph, or a... 'cause that's the tank, engine, or whatever and they'll just shrug and think you aren't a biker. For bikes I guess the classic racing/club-bike example is Rickman.
and in my old sports-car brain we call them things like "Devon bodied Corvette" or "Pininfarina Ferrari" or such... So I still feel you are T-bodied A

~shrugs~ Different backgrounds I guess

I think we're all getting, and the original intent of the thread is this...

what's the difference between
This:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vinta … messer.jpg
and This:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Frank … y1980s.jpg
and then This (MTGT):
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/0 … se-behind/

and thus, why can't we buy an out-of date one of these and hang ~whatever~ fenders on it:
http://strickland-racing.com/2007%20Pic … _shinn.htm
(example, "we'd" be looking for an old beat up one wiht driveline, not an un-do-able task)

and then if "we" couldn't do such a thing, is the MTGT a purpose-built racecar or not?

(I was lazy and didn't want to hash/thrash the pics)

This is as far as I went with the moke.

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/3121361/DSC03703_detail.JPG

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/3094880/DSC03655_detail.JPG

And the only reason I did that was because there was no structure left to the unibody box sections-- the floor was gone, the bottom of the side pontoons was gone, the heelboard was gone... So nothing to weld the cage legs to. I tried to use my interpretation of some sanctioning bodies that limits the number of cage "points" and restrict cage elements to within the suspension pickup points. Essentially, I just built a LeMons-legal cage, put a 2" box frame beneath it to weld the cage to, and then used that box section "frame" to link the front and rear subframes together.  I wanted to stay within what I thought the spirit of the Lemons rules (and my ability levels). The subframes are still free to flex and twist independently and nothing about what I've built reinforces any suspension component.-- I mean, we had the rusty rear subframe give way at Buttonwillow and it ended our run and we had to patch it back together to get back on track. Sure, I coulda built it so I could run without a rear subframe from the get-go and incorporated extra rollcage tubing and pickup points, but again, I didn't want to stray away from it's inherently crappy moke-ness.

In hindsight, I could've probably built a kick-butt tubechassis buggy ala Ariel Atom and hung some moke panels on it.

http://www.fastdrivencars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Ariel-Atom-2.jpg

Spank wrote:

Sure, I coulda built it so I could run without a rear subframe from the get-go and incorporated extra rollcage tubing and pickup points, but again, I didn't want to stray away from it's inherently crappy moke-ness.

And this is why you don't get votes for curse and why MTGT does, I'm pretty certain of it...
(no I don't vote that way, but others do)