Re: True tales of the Super Snipe

Judge Phil wrote:

First- and second-gen Civics also have very nice carb-friendly electric fuel pumps, with a well-engineered vibration-damping mount that should make them last longer. Located behind a panel below the rear seat. They flow pretty well, too- I ran an Olds 350 with one for over a week.

X-args wrote:

1st gen Accords, too. Right up in the left rear fenderwell, similar rubber mount.

Thanks for the junkyard fuel pump hints; I'll look for them the next time I'm up there.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

True Tales of the Super Snipe -- Episode 10: Give Me A Brake

Now that I knew the engine ran, I had much more confidence that I could get the car to go.   The question then became, could I get it to stop?   As you recall from Episode 3, the Super Snipe came with no brake calipers at all, and the parts car had drum brakes.

The full story has been covered in the separate thread at http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … pid=107578 so I will just hit the high points here.

I set out to search every self-serve junkyard in the area, but accidentally wound up at one that wasn't even on my list: U-Pull-It in Sun Valley (California), which handles only foreign cars.   About two-thirds through the lot, I discovered a 1972(?) Mercedes 250 (not 300, as stated in the other thread) which looked promising.   Indeed, upon removing a caliper I found that it matched up to my cardboard template perfectly!

The price was exceptional: $13.74 each, plus tax, $2.00 entry fee, and "environmental charge", for a grand total of $32.63.   You can't beat that with a stick.   The pads were almost new, too!

The only problem was minor: the mounting holes in the caliper are 0.498", to fit the metric bolts with a 0.4975" shank.   The Super Snipe requires 7/16-20 bolts, which have a 0.434" shank.   I just have to make four small sleeves to fit.   My friend Richard just happened to have a piece of steel tubing with a 0.501" OD and a 0.404" ID -- almost all the work is done for me!   An hour or so with the lathe and an adjustable reamer will take care of the rest.

Of course, German (metric) calipers on an English car would require special hoses, if not a peace treaty.   In addition, the caliper inlets were in the wrong location, and a straight hose fitting would hit the trunnion at full steering lock.   The local NAPA store referred me to Hose Line, just up the street, where the proprietor quickly made some custom hoses with right-angle fittings.   Perfect!

This brings us pretty much up to date on the Super Snipe story.   I'm waiting for Grainger to deliver the adjustable reamer so I can make the sleeves.   If it doesn't arrive soon, I'll just use a boring bar.

I have taken the brake master cylinder and booster off the car to disassemble and inspect.   It is an odd (to me) arrangement.   The brake booster is an entirely separate unit from the master cylinder.   It has, of course, a vacuum hose connection to the intake manifold, and two hydraulic pipe connections: one from the master cylinder and one to the brake lines.   I suspect that the booster has a leaky diaphragm and is probably unrepairable.

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0075a.JPG

If this proves to be the case, I'm guessing that I should replace the master cylinder with one that will do the job without a booster.   Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to select one of the proper size?   The brake system is so old that it is a single line system, not dual as in modern cars.

A Google search reveals a large variety of new master cylinders with various piston diameters.   For this big heavy car, should I be looking for a large diameter or small?   Any advice?

The next episode will be another out-of-order one from mid-summer, when I discovered just how hungry the British Tinworm can be.   In the meantime, I'll be installing the brakes, flushing the radiator & block, re-installing the radiator, and getting the car ready to move under its own power.

Next: British Engineering and a Tinworm Feeding Frenzy

53 (edited by X-args 2011-09-20 09:27 PM)

Figure out what size the original DISC brake Snipe master was and go 1/8" smaller or so.
In my experience replacing power boosted brakes w/manual (two and a half cars) that's a reasonable place to start. (the half was the '64 Buick Special @ Reno 2009- bad booster diaphragm=cap that sucker and run manual!)

Maybe measure the Merc 250 master size and go with a similar downsize. Make sure your rubber lines are good. Better yet, throw some steel braided ones in there.

Basically: Large Master Cylinder=high-effort pedal with short travel.
Small Master Cylinder=low(er)-effort pedal with more stroke, better feel but less margin for fade or any other malady leading to a long pedal.

My Honda Z600 had a similar remote booster, apparently that was how it was done sometimes in the old days... In that case I've gone from 7/8" to 13/16", but I haven't driven the car yet.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

I would just go back to the yard and get the master that came on the Merc and figure how to make it work.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

I would just go back to the yard and get the master that came on the Merc and figure how to make it work.

You have such smart ideas it scares me.   smile   Yes, I should do exactly that.

I have several remote brake boosters (Lockheed no less!) that are independent of the master cylinder-- came off  of minis. If you feel you need a booster just plumb one in.

Spank wrote:

I have several remote brake boosters (Lockheed no less!) that are independent of the master cylinder-- came off  of minis. If you feel you need a booster just plumb one in.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm better off without a booster -- one less thing to go wrong.   Unless, of course, I have trouble stopping without it.

My gut feel is that the car was designed for a light touch on the brakes.   If I don't find the current booster to be in perfect condition, I will hook up just the master cylinder and see how that works.   I can do that just by making one new pipe.   If that doesn't do a good job, or if the current cylinder is beyond saving, then I'll go for a new cylinder without a booster.

You are planning on updating to a dual circuit master cylinder since you're replacing it anyway right?  I would not be relying on ANY of the stock brake system except maybe the pedal itself on a car like this.

Nice work so far...  Motor does sound GOOD!

Nick

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

I was just thinking...

I know the old GM diesel cars had a mechanical brake booster, is there something similar in the Mercedes cars?

zebrabeefj40 wrote:

You are planning on updating to a dual circuit master cylinder since you're replacing it anyway right?  I would not be relying on ANY of the stock brake system except maybe the pedal itself on a car like this.

I know absolutely nothing about how to update a car to a dual circuit system.   How would I go about it?

CowDriver wrote:
zebrabeefj40 wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about how to update a car to a dual circuit system.   How would I go about it?

Usually all you have to do is plug off one side of the T fitting that sends juice to the rear.  Then plumb the rear from the other output on the master cylinder.  You have disc front/drum rear, correct?  Then you ought to use a Master from a car also set up thusly.  If you get a maser off a disc/disc car you will need a residual valve for the drums to keep the pistons pushed out until they are just about touching the drum.  Chances are you will also need a proportioning valve as well because if the front and back get the same amount of fluid the rear will lock up way before the front.  If the Mercedes you stole the calipers off of had drums on the back, it may or may not have a proportioning valve.  Some of the early cars didn't.  And I would expect the Germans just engineered a way to make them work perfectly right off the bat.

I know nothing about such foreign cars, but some of the most adaptable stuff was made right around 1967 when the DOT mandated dual circuit brakes.

62 (edited by zebrabeefj40 2011-09-23 07:42 AM)

Parkwod60 wrote:

I was just thinking...

I know the old GM diesel cars had a mechanical brake booster, is there something similar in the Mercedes cars?

GM and many others also used hydroboost.  This sysem tapped into the power steering system for boost pressure vs. the vaccum system of the motor.  That said a smaller vacuum booster and matching master cylinder (aluminum master cylinder so if doesn't corrode internally) would be easy to adapt.  Though maybe not as easy as no booster at all.

Nick

Nick

CowDriver wrote:
zebrabeefj40 wrote:

Since you're playing with your car's brakes have a look at this tech article on Pirate4x4:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Brakes/

There is a fair bit of theory in the first 1/3 of the page.  Stick with it though because it will help you understand what you need to build a good safe brake system.

Nick

Nick

True Tales of the Super Snipe -- Episode 11: Breakthrough.  Or is that Brakethrough...

Now that I am temporarily prevented from working on the car, perhaps I can get caught up on the Super Snipe status.   Why am I prevented from working on it?   I came close to amputating my index finger with a cut-off disk in the angle grinder.   For all the gory details, see http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=14380

Now, back to the tales...

I'm going to defer the promised episode on British Engineering and a Tinworm Feeding Frenzy, and finish up the brake topic.

It is now late September and early October...

I discovered that Wilwood Brakes had an (almost) exact replacement master cylinder, and were just up the freeway from me.   A quick (OK, an hour each way) lunchtime trip netted me a new master cylinder and a few accessories.   The mounting holes were exactly the same, and I only had to file the main hole a little bit to clear the thicker rubber boot.   Neither the original nor the new pushrod would fit exactly, so I had to cut the threads a bit longer and make a new end for it.   Big deal.

Since the steel brake lines had been open to the atmosphere for 20 years, they were pretty rusty and looked totally untrustworthy.   In one of my "throw money at the problem" moments, I simply took all the old lines to a local hydraulic shop and told them to make a new set shaped just like the old set.   They also made some custom brake hoses to go from the German (metric) calipers to the British line fittings.   Meanwhile, I set about cleaning the remaining parts.

As you may recall, the brake booster looked pretty bad.   It was.   Opening it up revealed lots of rust and water -- not what you should find in a brake booster.   I spent a weekend or two cleaning it out.   One of the memorable statements in the repair manual says, "Remove Plug (#37) by tapping the flange end of the body on a soft surface."

I will pause while owners of British cars recover from their laughing fits.

That "simple" operation actually took several hours, using lots of penetrating oil, whacking with a plastic mallet, swearing, an ultrasonic cleaner, compressed air, more swearing, wiggling an interior part with a tiny probe, and breaking several fingernails attempting to get a grip.   Loads of fun.

In the end, with a fresh coat of paint, the booster looked like new, save for a copper pipe kludge that I had made to replace a non-obtainable rubber fitting.

Then it turned that the booster could not be re-installed because my kludge replacement for the rubber fitting ran right into the battery.   At that point I decided to reassemble the brake system without the booster.   In the end, that turned out to be the right decision, as I am told the booster only provides about a 1.1:1 advantage, while requiring lots of travel.

I then turned my attention to the rear brakes.   They were a mass of rust and corrosion, so I figured that the cylinders were a lost cause.   At that very moment, a set of NOS spares appeared on eBay, and I got them!   While waiting for them to arrive, I started cleaning what I had.

The drums, after lots of wire-brushing, turned out to be in great shape, as were the shoes.   This was wonderful, as replacements are unobtainable, except by applying new linings to the old shoes.

To my great surprise, the wheel cylinders turned out to be OK after being throughly cleaned!  The next day the eBay NOS replacements arrived from England.   Oh well, I now have spares.

Hooking up this new British-German-American brake system actually went well, and I was able to con a friend into helping me fill and bleed the system.   We'll just have to see if they go to war or peacefully coexist.   Now I can proceed to the next stage, seeing if this barge can move under its own power!

Next: British Engineering and a Tinworm Feeding Frenzy

See this makes me feel much better about the Benz build!  Unobtainable rubber parts FTW!

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

disarrae wrote:

See this makes me feel much better about the Benz build!  Unobtainable rubber parts FTW!

Now you know that if you need front brake calipers, you can always use the ones from the Super Snipe you find in the junkyard!   smile

I didn't think there were two Humbers in the whole US of A, let alone two Super Snipes. Glad to see it making progress!

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

British Estate........

Awesome

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

Dood, the Brits called that a 'shooting brake'. big_smile

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Episode 12: British Engineering and a Tinworm Feeding Frenzy

This is somewhat out of order, as it actually happened back in July (2011), but the brake story got in the way.

While inspecting the underside of the car, I spotted a potential problem: the transmission support appeared to be bent, as if by a jack.   This seemed odd, as they are usually pretty beefy, but this one looked rather flimsy.   Since I had some time to kill, I decided to pull it out and check it.

Removing the support revealed the sad story: the metal was simply a lacework container packed full of dirt.   Some brilliant British engineer had designed a U-shaped channel with only a tiny drainage hole.   It must not have taken long for it to fill with dirt and water, providing an excellent environment for the hungry tinworms:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_1486a.JPG

In places, the metal was completely gone:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_1490a.JPG

It was no wonder that it had bent when someone used a jack on it.   Of course, bending the support also sheared the rubber transmission mounts, which no auto parts store in the country has.

This turned out to be the one part that the "parts car" was good for.   Not only was the support in perfect condition, but so were the rubber mounts:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_1491a.JPG

A close examination showed that they must have learned something over the years, as the later support had drainage holes that were large enough to be useful.   While this was a part that I could have easily fabricated myself, it was nice to get some use out of the parts car!

Next: Getting tired and ready to move

Episode 13: Getting tired and ready to move

It is now early November.   With brakes working and the engine running, it was time to put the pieces together and make it roll.   However, it might be better if it is had something to roll on, like tires.

You may recall that the "good" tires dated from the Nixon administration.   "Good" in this context means that they would hold air for more than an hour.   Between the two cars, there were a total of four "good" tires.   Originally there were only two lug nuts per wheel, but I had upgraded to five by this time -- first class!

The tires were also of dramatically different sizes:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_1865a.JPG

In the right part of town, you can find bargains if you are not too fussy about brands or provenance.   Perfect for Lemons!   I loaded up the four worst specimens and hauled them over to a friendly tire vendor.   For slightly more than a pittance, I returned with four Capitol Sport tires.   I had never heard of the brand but, then, who has heard of a Super Snipe?   One of them needed a return trip to fix a slow leak around the rim (probably from the rust), but now I could take the Super Snipe out on the road!

Next: Moving forward.   Only.

"New Tires? A Capitol Idea!" they can have that slogan for free.

Episode 14: Moving forward.   Only.

With a running (well for a few seconds, anyway) engine, brakes, and tires, it was time to make this beast move!   For safety, it was still up on jack stands.   I didn't want any untoward "incidents" until I knew all systems were "Go".

One final bit of preparation was the fuel system.   Early in the project, I had removed the drain plug from the gas tank, drained the oily mess, and wasted a few gallons of gas flushing it out.   But I had forgotten the fuel line, which turned out to be plugged.   Compressed air to the rescue, but this was a hint of problems to come.   Mindful of that possibility, I installed two fuel filters, one before the fuel pump and one after.

The transmission in the Super Snipe is a thirsty beast.   It takes nine quarts of ATF to fill!

As part of the filling procedure, you are supposed to shift it through all gears with the engine running.   Hmmm, something doesn't feel right here.   Yup, moving the shifter didn't result in any movement at the transmission.

Problem #1 was that the selector shaft at the transmission was very stiff.   Turning it with a wrench many times eventually freed it up, but its condition had led to Problem #2:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0350a.JPG

The flexible shifter cable had been forced at some point, bending the center part.   No matter how I tried to fix it, it would quickly bend again.   Parts car to the rescue!

With the cable replaced and adjusted, the column shifter resulted in corresponding movements at the transmission.   Now for the final tests before putting the wheels on the ground.

Hmmm, that's odd, putting the selector in "Park" doesn't lock the wheels.   Also, with the engine running, the wheels always rotate forward, regardless of the shifter position.   Disconnecting the cable and turning the shaft directly at the transmission doesn't change the problem.   Aw shit, it has a busted transmission.   With nine quarts of fresh ATF, to boot.

Again, the parts car to the rescue!   Thank goodness I had bought it, as Borg Warner DG-250 transmissions don't exactly grow on trees.   But is this transmission any good?

My friends Richard & Bernie knew that the Super Snipe was close to running, and showed up for the entertainment.   Bernie (whose parking lot I was using) then opened his shop and offered to let me use his car lift, transmission lift, and Richard volunteered to pull the transmission from the parts car.   It was a filthy mess:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0355a.JPG

But a liberal application of solvent and degreaser made it actually presentable:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0359a.JPG

You won't find one of these in your neighborhood Pick 'N Pull:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0358a.JPG

The Workshop Manual warns you that it is impossible to mate the transmission to the torque converter without using a special tool (Churchill CBW.5 -- SE1831) to align the splines of the three concentric shafts with those of the torque converter:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0361a.JPG

With the nearest alignment tool on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, all I could do was line up the female splines in the torque converter, and do the same with the transmission, all by eyeball.   By some miracle, it went together perfectly on the first try!!!

By now it was getting dark and my host had to kick me out of his shop.   I still had to put ATF in it and connect the linkages, so the moment of truth would have to wait until tomorrow.   I knew I would have to call in sick for a second day in a row.

Next: Testing, one two three -- gears, that is.

74 (edited by Parkwod60 2012-02-29 08:38 AM)

According to my brief research the DG(Detroit Gear)-250 came in Jaguars, Studebaker, and some Packards, Dodge Trucks, Hudson and Rolls Royce. http://www.charlietranny.com/Automatic%20Drive.htm So its not quite as rare as hens teeth.

Also, revving the motor to high in Park or Neutral will destroy it.

Parkwod60 wrote:

According to my brief research the DG(Detroit Gear)-250 came in Jaguars, Studebaker, and some Packards, Dodge Trucks, Hudson and Rolls Royce. http://www.charlietranny.com/Automatic%20Drive.htm So its not quite as rare as hens teeth.

Also, revving the motor to high in Park or Neutral will destroy it.

Thanks for the information, but I hope I don't need it.   I would really like to convert to a manual transmission, but I think the bell housing and clutch issues are a killer.