1 (edited by thedude 2009-05-10 11:13 AM)

Topic: A couple Newbie Q's Lemons car build

Hello all,

New to the Lemons race and have a couple of questions regarding the cars build. 
The car in question is none other than the oh so sought after blue 1994 ford probe gt:)

The car was purchased through craigslist and i have a copy of the listing and signed bill of sale...will this usually be accepted documentation for the purchase price(car did not have title)?

I cannot find any specific rules on the windshield, rear glass, roof or hatch....In my case all are cracked and damaged in some way and I would like to just run with out them, is this allowed?

I am planning on installing a Fuel cell in the trunk area and running aeroquip to the engine, are the fuel lines and pump considered "safety items" and thus not included in car price.

Thanks for any recommendations and advice

the Dude

Re: A couple Newbie Q's Lemons car build

I can't wait for John to chime in.... but:

Yes, the ad and bill of sale should be fine... unless they both say you paid $100 for a Ferrari..

Glass is track specific generally.  We have a windshield, but removed the rear glass.  As far as the roof goes?

# 3.20: No Open Sunroofs: All sunroof openings must be covered by either the original sunroof panel; a new panel securely fixed into place; or securely fixed mesh with openings no larger than 1/2-inch each.

# 3.21: Open T-Tops and Convertibles: Arm restraints are required when driving an open T-Top or convertible.

Fuel cell?  Why?  You could argue safety to the judges, but that's a lot of work for a Ford Probe.  Does the stock tank violate existing Lemons rules?

3 (edited by thedude 2009-05-10 11:26 AM)

Well frankly the stock fuel tanks is um....scary and I have an old ATL cell so its going to be easier to just plop that in the trunk and run a line to the rail on the engine....I am planning on running the Lemons south fall race.

On the probe you know the glass is most of the hatch so I'm temtped to just remove the whole thing just unsure If thats allowed

are there people who run without the windshield?

If your existing fuel compartment is "un-safe".. then adding a fuel cell might be considered "safety".

Lots of people run without windshields and just use a visor on their helmet..  I personally wouldn't recommend it considering the amount of debris generally found with 110 $500 cars barreling around a track and god-knows-how-fast speeds.

Yank the rear hatch glass so the cell is easier to get to imo

Get a screen capture of the original Craigslist ad and receipts for any new parts (or a good story for new-looking parts that were on the car when you got it). We don't sweat the Probe as ruthlessly as, say, a Miata in the BS Inspection, but we're still going to go over it.

FreeRange wrote:

If your existing fuel compartment is "un-safe".. then adding a fuel cell might be considered "safety".

Lots of people run without windshields and just use a visor on their helmet..  I personally wouldn't recommend it considering the amount of debris generally found with 110 $500 cars barreling around a track and god-knows-how-fast speeds.

Yank the rear hatch glass so the cell is easier to get to imo

We run our Camaro without any glass (or roof) but we did put a 2' x 2' piece of Lexan in the windshield frame in front of the driver, to catch any debris that may fly off of a lemon. You could also use some hail screen in the windshield frame, to catch debris. We used the lexan to block the wind off the driver. It was cold in Houston in Feb.

Jim B
Los Diablos Flamed Camaro

Thanks,  I was planning to run some small down tubes in front of the driver al'la dirt modified racing.  I just wanted make sure I wouldn't get da boot if I went ahead and chopped the whole roof off. 

The Dude

Okay, my turn!

1) Fuel cells are ALWAYS identified as safety and, when you've got one (especially just laying around), you're ALWAYS wise to use it.

1a) Just remember that if you happen to get "The Curse," you've only got a limited amount of time to strip off what you want from the car before it's destroyed.  A valuable fuel cell may fall into the time vs cost equation/consideration.

1b) Running fuel lines through the passenger compartment is a no-no.

1c) External fuel pump is considered a part of the fuel system and, therefore, has to be enclosed or shielded from the driver's compartment.

2) There's no rule at any track that says you have to have any glass -- windshield or otherwise.  In fact, they'd probably prefer if you don't have one.  It's a loss less weight, too!

2a) What if it rains?  (Invest in a lot of Rain-X)

3) Bill of Sale but no title?  Hmmmm.  Sounds stolen.

4) "I am planning on running the Lemons south fall race."  South?  Now I know its stolen.

5) BTW -- you should know that Judge Murilee's favorite bribe are old copies of "Horse Lover's Journal" and I hear that Judge Jonny has a peculiar penchant for Boone's Farm (especially the light blue "berry" stuff).

6) Eibach springs, Penske shocks, Howe swaybars -- all the trick set-up for Ford Probes.

Good luck -
John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Eibach,Penske,Howe    woh woh Woh!   have you seen the car?  I thought it was a real steal im suprised no one else picked it up off of craigslist it still has the NTI sticker in the window.  horse lovers is pretty hard to come across these days the euro crowd is moving in and have tipped the market towards the SK*** /SM publications as for the boones,  yes i believe it will will stay a local favorite right next to the black velvet plastic bottle.

Be sure to read all the fuel cell and fuel line routing requirements in the rules.  They're pretty stringent and totally not flexible.  More than a few teams have spent friday night welding lots and lots of metal into their car to try and pass their fuel cell.  If the stock tank is anything other than non-salvageable you're asking for a lot more trouble when there's no requirement to do so.

You can cut the top off, the doors off, the hood off, or the car in half if you want to.  You just have to wear wrist restraints as soon as you remove the structure from above your head.  Ok, I was kidding about the cut the car in half part, don't do that.

troubleonwheels wrote:

You can cut the top off, the doors off, the hood off, or the car in half if you want to.  You just have to wear wrist restraints as soon as you remove the structure from above your head.  Ok, I was kidding about the cut the car in half part, don't do that.

YES!! can you say 3-wheel probe smile:):)   Gigitygigity

If you install a fuel cell, keep a close eye on the tech inspectors at the track when they inspect the cell. At Houston in February, the Bikini Racer/Witch Doctor Camaro suffered a persistent and intermittent fuel sender failure that took them nearly the entire 2 days to figure out: a tech judge accidentally (and, I presume, unknowingly) dropped his pen cap in their fuel cell while inspecting it. It did lead to their winning some award or another (heroic fix?), but I suspect that they would have preferred to not have the problem and have to fix it at all. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Re: Car value

So the car we are running is my daily driver (obviously not for long) that I bought for $300 two years ago.  I have no bill of sale that I can recall, however its a 93 VW Fox... I mean even a mint one is $500, and this car is far from mint.  Aside from some safety fixes (brake pads, etc) an alternator, and a radio I've spent basically nothing on this car.  I mean do I really need to prove its value somehow?

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Hey, Rogue -- Just go on CraigsList or other websites and start collecting comparable listings.  If you have 10 comps that range from $200-$400, your $300 story will hold up.  However, if the other cars are $500-$1,000 and all look crappier than yours... you're toast.

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

professional.dreamer wrote:

Hey, Rogue -- Just go on CraigsList or other websites and start collecting comparable listings.  If you have 10 comps that range from $200-$400, your $300 story will hold up.  However, if the other cars are $500-$1,000 and all look crappier than yours... you're toast.

John

According to Jay, that will not fly.  It falls under the "lame ass rationalization" rule.

I would start looking for a way you ACTUALLY bought it for $300.

We had this same debate on the email list about 2 months ago

16 (edited by RogueLeader 2009-05-13 03:13 PM)

FreeRange wrote:
professional.dreamer wrote:

John

According to Jay, that will not fly.  It falls under the "lame ass rationalization" rule.

I would start looking for a way you ACTUALLY bought it for $300.

We had this same debate on the email list about 2 months ago

I really don't think I can prove it, I got the car off craigslist 2 years ago it was advertised for $450.  If you see this car you wouldn't give more than $300 for it, its no spring chicken, paint is shot, kid who had it before me painted a checkerboard on the roof, leaks oil, a/c is dead, and it has no options no nothing.  I hear people getting away with salvage E30s, so I see no reason why they could ever value this car over that, aside from maybe a Geo metro it was probably the cheapest new car you could get in 93.   

I even tried looking for ads, there arent a ton of these cars around, but when you do find them they are cheap.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I'm no expert, but somehow I doubt anyone is going to question the 0 value of a 93 fox.  If it was a Corrado you'd have some explainin to do, but a fox?  No.

Mulry wrote:

If you install a fuel cell, keep a close eye on the tech inspectors at the track when they inspect the cell. At Houston in February, the Bikini Racer/Witch Doctor Camaro suffered a persistent and intermittent fuel sender failure that took them nearly the entire 2 days to figure out: a tech judge accidentally (and, I presume, unknowingly) dropped his pen cap in their fuel cell while inspecting it. It did lead to their winning some award or another (heroic fix?), but I suspect that they would have preferred to not have the problem and have to fix it at all. Cheers.

My father did tech for a road rally back in the day when Laguna Seca just started and he refused to touch any part of the car so the owner/driver couldn't blame him for anything going wrong.  I'd hate for anything I did to a car (pen cap in fuel tank; not me) screw with anyone's hard work so at Reno i'll kindly ask persmission before I jiggle anything to check its safety worthiness.  If its questionable and repairable I could be persuaded to let it slide with some behind the wheel time. smile  But I hope it won't have to come to that since these will all be finely tuned machines ready for racing.  Oh who am I kidding they were welding the cage race day in a Yugo at Thunderhill last fall.  I'm preparing for every safety sob story.

Chris "Safety never takes a holiday" Hanzel

MurileeMartin wrote:

Get a screen capture of the original Craigslist ad and receipts for any new parts (or a good story for new-looking parts that were on the car when you got it). We don't sweat the Probe as ruthlessly as, say, a Miata in the BS Inspection, but we're still going to go over it.

What if the original screen capture option is not available because the listing no longer exists? 

I have contacted the seller of my car and he has offered to write a notarized statement describing the car and how much he sold it to me for ($400).  In addition, I have an e-mail record between the seller and myself that includes the Craigslist listing, but not a screen capture.  How well would that hold up?

Lemons Newbe,
Miles

milesgary wrote:

What if the original screen capture option is not available because the listing no longer exists?

With a Probe, you're probably OK with a nice itemized list (as long as we don't find a cheat-tastic cheat-stravaganza of costly-looking goodies once we start sniffing around the suspension). But do your best to get airtight documentation.

MurileeMartin wrote:

With a Probe, you're probably OK with a nice itemized list (as long as we don't find a cheat-tastic cheat-stravaganza of costly-looking goodies once we start sniffing around the suspension). But do your best to get airtight documentation.

It's not a Probe but a Prelude.  The guy I bought it from was offered $300 from a salvage yard.  I don't plan on upgrading anything, but running it a-la-natural.

Thanks for the info, I have yet to do anything to the car that actually costs money.  When I do, I'll keep all receipts. 

Miles

Hi, I'm new to Lemons and had a question about a "FREE" car. I have an auto repair shop and a customer abandoned after failing miserably on a state safety inspection
he gave me the title and we called the failed inspection ($20.00) even. He is a good customer and I wouldn't have charged him anything any way. Should I have him sign an affidavit or just say I stole it ?
Dave

Don't say you stole it, you can't steal cars and race them - otherwise I'd be driving some sort of 911.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Just to chime in here on the worth of these cars that you didn't "buy" from someone. You might find it worth your time to PM a judge with pictures, story, etc. and see if they'd be willing to give you a value which they would put the car at.

Not every judge would assign it the same, and i imagine this would become an issue if too many people tried it, but if you can get them to say it's worth $367 to them, then your in luck and have a good starting point.

At least that's what i'd do.

btw: good luck on that probe. I had one as my first car, total piece of crap mazda...

I always thought one of the keys to bs inspection was documentation.  The easiest way to show how much you spent is with documentation.  Prints off craigslist or ebay, reciepts, videos of the transaction taking place, pictures, paintings, professional reinactments, whatever you can get to prove that what you said you paid for the car is what you actually did.  The same should be true for what you sell off the car.  Hell you get enough documentation they might just get bored and send you on your way.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page