Re: Rocket-inspired styling--1961 Cadillac coming to Nelson Ledges! (pics)

You guys have a big job gettint that thing ready for Nelsons.

If you make it, it will be an epic entry.

I'm sure EVERYONE will do whatever they can to help you guys finish the race.

In the mean time I have one request for when you get on the track......

PLEASE DON'T HIT ME.     I'm and old man with a wife and kids driving a small car. Please have mercy.

I PROMISE, I will be giving you plenty of room.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

I will be hiding behind Spud.  Our Z could fit in the trunk of that beast!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Our plan is to try and stay the hell out of the way. It's gonna be tough, given the size of this beast, but we'll do our best not to hold anybody up.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

so long as you're predictable it shouldn't be a problem...don't get out of the way.  just stay on your line.

but you guys know what you're doing, so i'm not concerned.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

JThw8 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

I wonder if late-60s Caddy disc brake components are bolt-ons for the '61...

I dont belive they are, not to mention they are god awful expensive (prepped a 69 Caddy for BABE)

But if Mr Speedycop gets a moment to pass through Mullica Hill I have the old hubs/rotors from the 69 which he may have for test fitting purposes.  Sorry the rotors are too far gone to be used.   Might have the calipers still too (might be rebuildable but the calipers are fairly cheap, the rotors/hub, if you can find them, cost $150-$200 each...sux)

I REALLY appreciate the offer, but for now, we're planning to keep the car 100% stock. It has newish front drums, and we will have to get it running right to even test drive it properly. If they don't feel up to the task I'll have my cousin pick them up (he's in Mantua).

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

I hope you find some whitewalls for it!

Painted whitewalls looks like whitewalls at speed. wink

Speedycop wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

I wonder if late-60s Caddy disc brake components are bolt-ons for the '61...

I dont belive they are, not to mention they are god awful expensive (prepped a 69 Caddy for BABE)

But if Mr Speedycop gets a moment to pass through Mullica Hill I have the old hubs/rotors from the 69 which he may have for test fitting purposes.  Sorry the rotors are too far gone to be used.   Might have the calipers still too (might be rebuildable but the calipers are fairly cheap, the rotors/hub, if you can find them, cost $150-$200 each...sux)

I REALLY appreciate the offer, but for now, we're planning to keep the car 100% stock. It has newish front drums, and we will have to get it running right to even test drive it properly. If they don't feel up to the task I'll have my cousin pick them up (he's in Mantua).

At best these parts are good only to see if it will work, the calipers can probably be rebuilt but the hub/rotors are toast.  PO ran the brakes down to the rivets then keep going for a few thousand miles.  Stupid move on $200 rotors.

With the cost of stock caddy parts it might be cheaper to go with something custom from wilwood.

But you are welcome to them to try some things out if needed.

Also have a local guy who's kinda an old caddy expert so if you have questions/need something I can reach out to him.

Even with disks big caddys are slow to a stop, make the brakes the best you can and hope for the best smile

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Since you guys did such a good job rigging up the Judge Murilee GrilleCam™ at CMP, you're welcome to put it in the grille of the Cad at Nelson. You know what wiring and stuff you need.

I'll be there to hook things up, and I'll have my A530 keeping watch out back.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Judge, you mind if we loop a 5 hour version of Aretha Franklin's "Pink Cadillac" for a soundtrack?

wait... that sounds like a penalty waiting to happen...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

MurileeMartin wrote:

Since you guys did such a good job rigging up the Judge Murilee GrilleCam™ at CMP, you're welcome to put it in the grille of the Cad at Nelson. You know what wiring and stuff you need.

We'd be honored to do so. This vid will be the opposite of the last one, though. Everyone will be sailing past us!

Well between the full sized van and the caddy I think you have some rolling chicanes....

Bonedriver wrote:

Judge, you mind if we loop a 5 hour version of Aretha Franklin's "Pink Cadillac" for a soundtrack?

It's funny.  I was just thinking how hilarous that would be.    How about Bruce Springsteen's "Pink Cadillac" as well.  We would fall over laughing on that one.

A full sized Van - a la "A Team" style side by side with the Pink Caddy.  Beautiful.

I with team #88. We have a Scirocket. Please please please don't hit us. tongue

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

We weigh more than twice what you do. If we did hit you, we'd probably have to throw your car in the trunk, just so it could finish.

Finally got the cage in!!!
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/caddycage.jpg
[Austin Powers]Who cages a '61 Caddy? I mean honestly?[/Austin Powers]

Also rebuilt the stock 4bbl Quad Jet Rochester (Pat Pending, according to the top---LMAO!). Look at all the trash in the bowls!
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/caddycarbtrash.jpg
Miracle of miracles, it actually ran pretty darn well when I finished!

Lastly, how cool is this gonna be on the track at night?
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/caddytails.jpg

I think I want to mount the GrilleCam on the front fender, facing back down the side of the car- that way the fins will be in the frame! Not saying you're going to get passed a lot, but...

Bonedriver wrote:

Or maybe this song.

That'd be a sweet shot.

It looked pretty cool on the Cajun Jihad Mirage!

I think it might be best to put it in the back window facing rearward, to get both fins in the frame. We should probably set it up first thing, in case the Cadillac doesn't run for a full 24 hours.

that is a great angle.  love the suspension articulation, tire sidewall deflection, slip angle...very sweet.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Judge, I have a Galls Streetthunder 110 db horn and an old PA/siren to hook to it... we'll make it work!!!

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Bo Diddley - now there is your theme music!

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

So, I'm sitting here at work on a rainy Saturday evening, killing time until 7pm, going over what's left to do in my head. We've only spent parts of 4 days on the car in the week and a half since we bought it, what with work, and most of our team being too far away. The only local guy besides me is too busy half the time, so we have a lot left to do.

The cage is in, which is HUGE. It looks great, but all that 1.75x.120 DOM steel weighs like 200+ pounds. What do we care? The car weighs 2 1/2 TONS!
I rebuilt the carb, and drained the tank (gotta love old cars, it had a drain plug!). Not much of anything came out of the fuel tank in the way of trash, so we'll just add a big inline filter, and hope for the best. I had to weld the front bumper and lower radiator support on. Somebody had jerry-rigged it with two axle U-bolts, and when you stopped, the bumper dropped way down in front. When you took off, it picked back up. Those threaded steel rods that go through the detached lower radiator support? Yeah, they kinda need to be rigid if you want the front wheels to track, especially while braking.

-The starter is out, and I have it partially disassembled. It needed new brushes badly, and I'm hoping that's all, because that's all I ordered. The solenoid seems to be okay, it just cranks too slowly to start the car when it gets hot.
-The old VERY rotten exhaust is off. I gotta fab up a pipe and a muffler after the Y pipe, and I'll probably do a driver's side exit in front of the rear wheel.
-The wheels and drums are removed, and we need to rebuild the wheel cylinders, and possibly the master cylinder. The new rear shoes need to go on, as the newish ones on the right rear are soaked in old brake fluid, and will probably break apart while racing. We might also replace the lines, depending on how they look, and if they loosen for us. We also have all new hoses, to avoid a fire (coughTunachuckerslessonlearnedcough).
-The safety gear (seat/harness/cutoff switch/extinguisher/etc.) needs to be installed.
-The tires all need replacement. We need wheels for spares.
-The car needs to be painted. It's raining.
-The rear air shocks need installation, and the 2x4's a previous owner wedged in the rear coil springs need to be removed, before they shift and rip out a brake line.
-The lights need work. We have one headlight, no brake lights, and no dash lights.
-The wipers need a motor. It's missing. If not, the windshield needs a good coat of rain-x.
-We need to buy front shocks, and install them.
-We need to repack all the wheel bearings.
-We need to clean the previous owner's coat of primer off of all the pretty chrome.
-We need to put the new radiator hoses on, and flush the radiator.
-We need to tune it up, and change the oil. Lucas additive is a must, this thing has 48 years worth of oil leakage caked on underneath.
-It needs the new valve cover gaskets to slow said leakage, at least from one point of origin.

It probably needs a bunch of other things I'm forgetting at the moment. Some of you have built a car in a week and a half. You know how difficult it can be. It's worse with a 48 year-old car that hasn't been really used in the last decade or two. We're gonna get it all done, Lord willing, but it aint gonna be easy. Any MD/DC/VA area peeps with free time on their hands and some basic knowledge of crap cans can come on out and lend a hand! Your payment willl be seeing the car make it out onto the track at NL. That, and frosty beverages while you work, of course. My cell is 301-675-8006 if you're interested!