Re: Rocket-inspired styling--1961 Cadillac coming to Nelson Ledges! (pics)

Speedy,

Team Lebowski will see you on Friday.  Whatever it takes.

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

Good luck, Jeff.  I'm following your progress and staying in touch with "Bonedriver " to keep track on your meaningful and hopefully successful project.

Bill Hamilton
Infidel Racing
Team Number 3
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter with 88 Shetland ponies under the hood

Thanks, Bill! I'm looking forward to seeing you guys next year. Maybe it's time for a motor swap? Go find a turbo coupe, it will all bolt in easily.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Oops! Need to add GIANT trans cooler to the to-do list.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Jeff... Ron and I will be there Thursday night!

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

56 (edited by Speedycop 2009-09-27 10:01 AM)

Dude, we're LEAVING Thursday night! How you guys gonna fix the wiring/lights, in the trailer on the way???

Well, if we gotta do it Friday AM, so be it.

BTW, our car is kinda sorta somewhat almost ready:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M76Rizc8ibw

GOOD NEWS!!!!
The Caddy is now PINK. VERY pink. it's probably my worst paint job ever, and I shot it in the dark outside, but it's pink. Pics in the am.

Here it is, still wet, covered in dew (it's glossier without the dew), our ONE HOUR (start to finish, including surface  prep, 4 people masking, and me spraying IN THE DARK), sub-FIFTY DOLLAR (gallon of gloss white Rustoleum, splash of safety red, sprayed with a Wagner electric paint drizzler/"sprayer") moth and bug-infested paint job! I took these with my cell as I was rushing out the door to work. Better pics soon, of course.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/pinkcaddy2.jpg

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/pinkcaddy.jpg

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/pinkcaddyrear.jpg

Here's a shot of me painting it last night, in the dark:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/paintingthecaddy.jpg

The color I mixed was exactly what I envisioned. My friend showed me this pic, which showed I was pretty much spot-on:
http://www.moviecars.it/images/auto/pink_cadillac_big1.jpg

61 (edited by unknownroad 2009-09-29 08:48 AM)

I've got a spare starter for parts, but getting it shipped to you in time would put a big dent in the $500 budget.

I believe that the generic 1980s GM master cylinder is a direct swap, as that is what was on my '62 when we got it.

The original wipers are marginal under the best of conditions, i'd count on rain-x and invest the repair time in other things.

If you haven't already, check the rag joint in the steering linkage.

Our '62 was also a Virginia car... that "all original lights must be operational" law is tough on old Caddy cornering lamps sad

Good luck!

Mine is a MD car. I have rebuild kits for all the wheel cylinders and the master, a spare lower ball joint, a spare upper for each side, spare tune-up parts, spare brake shoes (riveted), and a Felpro head set. I'm hoping to return most of that stuff after the race, but we'll see. As I can't find a tranny substitue or spare, I'm trying to find a cheap (sub $200) 350 drivetrain as a backup. I'm sure it's not anywhere near a bolt-in, but we can bring our own mig and plasma cutter, and some scrap metal for fab work. We'll do whatever it takes to finish!

Maybe I should bring tubing, in case we have to cage our tow vehicle (my friend's new Dodge diesel), and pull the Caddy around the track...

While that’s one of the finest mid-night paint jobs I’ve ever seen (by a non-felon),  I have to wonder about the difficulties you’re going to face touching up any small stone chips you may encounter while cruising in the outside lane around the track for 24 hours based on your mixing ratio. (LOL)

Great job getting it ready and American Excess is the best.  I predict the Russian ride will need to stop at least four times throughout the race for complete engine rebuilds much like all Russian MiG fighters while the All-American Caddy will still be cruising on track at the checkered flag.

Bill Hamilton
Infidel Racing
Team Number 3
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter with 88 Shetland ponies under the hood

I bought almost $700 worth of tires (8 225/60/15 Fuzion Hri's). Hopefully I can return one set without using them, but if it means finishing the race, we'll use them all!
I put new brushes in the starter this evening. Here's how worn the old ones were, compared to the new ones:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/caddystarterbrushes.jpg
I'm hoping that fixes our hot starter/slow cranking problem. I'll know tomorrow, after I run it a while. It also got the new rear air shocks and new valve cover gaskets installed, thanks to Flounder, and new front shocks installed, thanks to Joey. I took tomorrow off, so that I can try to get this thing done by Thursday night, when we leave. I need to do the brakes in the morning. I got the bleeders loose tonight, but the lines are a different story. Should be fun...

I hope it moves under it's own power into the trailer... hehehehe

I hope it doesn't doesn't break the trailer for that matter!

Do we have spare tires for the trailer?

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

WOW  remind me not to hut you guys!  Thats some good ol Detroit iron there.  Can't wait to see it in person and I hope you guys do well.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Speedycop wrote:

I put new brushes in the starter this evening. Here's how worn the old ones were, compared to the new ones:

Ah, the dreaded Delco starter heat-soak problem! Might want to do what the SBC guys do and install a heat shield of some sort.

MurileeMartin wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

Ah, the dreaded Delco starter heat-soak problem! Might want to do what the SBC guys do and install a heat shield of some sort.

Agreed. My dads 1969 Corvette and my 1976 Olds 98 land yacht did the very same thing. Make a heat shield with some of that silver insulating stuff you can get from Summit (You'll pass Summit coming to the track from the west about two exits out of Akron on I76) and it should help.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

69 (edited by E-Speed 2009-09-30 06:40 AM)

Speedycop wrote:

Maybe I should bring tubing, in case we have to cage our tow vehicle (my friend's new Dodge diesel), and pull the Caddy around the track...

Hey, Speedycop, your describing a chain race. Vehicle in front has the power plant, vehicle in rear has all the brakes. Makes for very interesting racing. Good luck on the Caddie.

Wish I could be there with you'es guys. sad

MurileeMartin wrote:

Could try header wrapping the starter.

Everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

If you're really stuck, go to Home Depot and get the pipe insulating tape with the foil backing and wrap the starter. If you have time, consider a remote Ford solenoid

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

E-Speed wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

Hey, Speedycop, your describing a chain race. Vehicle in front has the power plant, vehicle in rear has all the brakes. Makes for very interesting racing. Good luck on the Caddie.

Wish I could be there with you'es guys. sad

MurileeMartin wrote:

Could try header wrapping the starter.

If you wrap the starter it will just take longer to cool down once it gets heat-soaked.

True, but you'll need it most on track when it's sitting next to the red-hot header...in the pits you can at least urinate on the damn thing

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

True, but you'll need it most on track when it's sitting next to the red-hot header...in the pits you can at least urinate on the damn thing

This I gotta see!!

Being Canadian and being cold and everything aren't you concerned about 'shrinkage'?

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

MurileeMartin wrote:

If you wrap the starter it will just take longer to cool down once it gets heat-soaked.

You just can't help yourself can you? smile
When you leaving CA for NL?

Everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

DIY WWW's!
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/caddywheel.jpg