Topic: Any automatic transmission stop slip fluid out there that works?

I'm looking for an automatic transmission fluid additive that really helps to stop an automatic transmission slipping problem.  Which one works?

Re: Any automatic transmission stop slip fluid out there that works?

It really depends on the situation, hardened seals usually cause weird stuff when cold, trans-X will fix it in 5 min. Lucas works other times, a clogged filter causes a slip after a few minutes and "fixes" itself when it sits.
Unless there's some other magic stuff sold elsewhere you are usually fighting a loosing battle that nothing in a bottle will fix.

Bring several spares.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

stop slips after you rebuild it....

If its not broke fix it till it is...

If it's worn clutch plates, I've had the Lucas Transmission Fix buy me some time. What make/model trans are you having issues with?

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

Seafoam is supposed to work well, if an additive can help.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Stop slip made one of my MB's go -  bang, whirrrllll.  Caution.  Soft parts are easy, blow a hard part and the price triples.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

Stop slip made one of my MB's go -  bang, whirrrllll.  Caution.  Soft parts are easy, blow a hard part and the price triples.

Agree, I have heard of lucas finishing the job sometimes.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

The stuff you need is only available in Diagon Alley... or perhaps Nocturn Alley..  Or you could just use your wand... It's magic any way you slice it.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

9 (edited by EriktheAwful 2012-01-30 06:50 AM)

Old-timer's trick: if the transmission uses Dexron, put a quart of Type F in it.

That'll get you a couple more hours (minutes?) of race time. I bought a quart of Type F for our Jag's BW55 just in case. It held up just fine and I didn't have to use it.

ihatemybike wrote:

If it's worn clutch plates, I've had the Lucas Transmission Fix buy me some time. What make/model trans are you having issues with?

I bought a 1992 Lexus ES 300 for $500.00 with 245,000 miles on it.  The car ran and shifted great when I first test drove it.  Got the car home and the next day it would barely move.  The trans fluid was not red anymore, it was black(maybe the previous owner put an additive in it).

Two transmission shops said that the automatic transmissions in these cars actually will not operate if the filter is extremely dirty.  I wanted to give one of the transmission shops some business, but I could not drive the car to them, so I ended up changing the trans filter, fluid and doing the trans service at home.  This car's transmission is shifting good again so far.

Team Infinniti wrote:

It really depends on the situation, hardened seals usually cause weird stuff when cold, trans-X will fix it in 5 min. Lucas works other times, a clogged filter causes a slip after a few minutes and "fixes" itself when it sits.
Unless there's some other magic stuff sold elsewhere you are usually fighting a loosing battle that nothing in a bottle will fix.

Bring several spares.

Good info, thanks.  The trans fluid was black and the filter was clogged.  No broken particles in the trans pan though. It's an old car with tons of miles on it, but it went from driving/shifting fine to not moving hardly at all overnight.  That was strange to me.  When I checked it out the fluid was black and over full like an additive had been put into the trans making it overfull, but that is just a guess.

Evil Genius wrote:

The stuff you need is only available in Diagon Alley... or perhaps Nocturn Alley..  Or you could just use your wand... It's magic any way you slice it.

Good advice because some things eventually just need to be rebuilt.  The magic fix in a bottle does not work all of the time or will work for a very short period of time.

I'm big on proper car maintenance which prevents problems.  However my MacGyver car fixes started when I bought my 16 year old daughter a 1998 high mileage Mazda 626.  I became her personal mechanic to keep that car running.  That car ended up having a check engine light come on for an egr code.  The guy's on the Mazda forum said it was usually never the egr valve, but a dirty throttle body.  So I cleaned the throttle body and the check engine light went off (thanks again to those guy's on the Mazda forum).  The big rubber hose going from the air filter housing to the throttle body started ripping pretty bad when I tried to put it back on, so I glued that with JB Weld.  One guy on the Mazda forum said that I could not do that.  I told him that I just did and it held up just fine. 

I remember my dad broke a u-joint on his drive shaft out in the middle of nowhere on his 1972 Chevy pickup.  He just used bailing wire to temporarily fix it just to make it home.  My dad always has a roll of bailing wire, duct tape and electricians tape in his tool box.

After 2nd  gear going out then a tranny line blew off and the driver going until the car stopped moving.  We used 2 or 3 bottles of lucas, a bottle of powersteering fluid and a quart of motorcycle fork oil.  It moved for a lap or two.  The lucas did not fix our problem?

Regular old transmission fluid works. But you have to soak a new set of clutch plates in it first before the rebuild.

Wetland American Racing (WAR)  #77 Swamp Thang Granada
2011 Cain't get Bayou IOE and Class C winner
Shop Location: Bayou Self, La.