Topic: We built a LeMons-grade fuel injector tester/cleaner

I'm normally not the build journal / photo documentation type, but I thought this project was cool enough to share.  It started as the subject of a random conversation between one of my Lemons teammates and I.  Something like: "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could test and clean fuel injectors outside of a car?"  He's an electrical engineer, and I'm a computer engineer, so we made a deal: if he gave me a driver circuit and built the test stand, I would program a microcontroller and build a board to make it all work.  Well, after an order from Digi-key, a couple nights of programming, an afternoon of soldering, and a trip to the junkyard, here it is:

http://i44.tinypic.com/346lqmh.jpg

The fuel rail is from a later Quad 4 (Sunfire GT, I think).  We were dumb and used a fuel pump from a TBI Chevy truck, so it only made 1 bar (14.5psi), but that was good enough for a trial run.

The board is hiding behind the battery in the picture above; here's a close up shot.  It's basically a 5v power supply, a FET driver circuit, and a PIC18F microcontroller I programmed in C.  I scavenged a 0-7 binary switch from an old SCSI CD-ROM drive and am using that to select test routines on the microcontroller.  It has a couple cleaning and flow testing modes, can ramp frequency and duty cycle up and down, etc.  One mode simulates a 15-second quarter mile pass through three gears, which is fun to watch smile  Maybe manual control knobs and an LCD display will be in version 2.0.

http://i40.tinypic.com/4tvjog.jpg

Despite running at 1/3 of normal fuel injection pressure, we were able to check out the spray patterns and flow rates of several injectors.  I proved that the set of injectors I bought off some random guy on a forum for $25 not only worked, but all of them actually flowed pretty close to the same.  They were dry when I got them, and a couple of them leaked at first, but after a little exercise with a mixture of gasoline and fuel injector cleaner, they looked good to go.

We were surprised to see that all of the different kinds of used OEM fuel injectors we tested had narrow, jet-like spray patterns.  My friend had some brand new 60 lb/hr aftermarket injectors, so we compared those side by side with my mystery forum injectors.  His (on the right) produced a wide, finely atomized puff of fuel, compared to the jet that came out of mine.  Hmph, maybe mine aren't that great...

http://i44.tinypic.com/24n009f.jpg

By weighing the bottles after running for a while, and using his 60#s as a known value, we were able to calculate the flow rate of my injectors.  Surprisingly, they were flowing dead-on what they're supposed to, so I guess the wider spray pattern is just a feature of his aftermarket injectors.

Here's the longest video I took of it in action.  It's a one minute ramp from 5-90% duty cycle, from 7Hz (idle) to 50Hz (6000RPM).  I'm not sure what's with the hiccup at 20s.  I don't remember seeing or hearing it, so I think it's probably the camera's fault, but who knows, might be a little quirk in my PWM code...

As far as safety goes, we certainly could have done better (but we didn't have any judges around to keep us in line).  The catch bottles fit snugly on the fuel injector o-rings and didn't leak fuel, but the fumes from the reservoir were probably bad enough to give us both cancer and/or brain damage.  I think that at the very least, we'll be switching to something with a flashpoint above room temperature, maybe kerosene.  Apparently the pros use a special non-flammable fuel injector test fluid that has about the same viscosity as gasoline.  If anyone has a line on where to get some of that stuff, let me know...

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Re: We built a LeMons-grade fuel injector tester/cleaner

That's cool.

I suspect the plastic bottles will have a short life when exposed to gas.

While all that sounds simple to you, it sounds out of my range of geekdom.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I can't see your pictures right now (blocked from my work PC) but from your description, we did something similar, for testing only (not cleaning), except without the fancy electronics.   i just took a spare connector, and hooked it to a switch, and 12V.   switch on to check spray pattern.   leave it on for 1 minute, and weigh the resulting fuel to check flowrate.

You're cycling system is probably better for cleaning though.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Troy wrote:

I suspect the plastic bottles will have a short life when exposed to gas.

If they're PET bottles (which most convenience size bottles are in the US) they should be fine.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

Total cost? And would you be willing to produce more/another for me? smile Seriously though, let me know! We have a bunch of spare injectors, and if we could test/toss them, I'd love you long-time smile Mark W.

next step- Lemons grade plutonium!!!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

7 (edited by gunn 2012-03-07 03:21 PM)

Pretty cool DIY job; the thing that scares me most is the spraying of fuel right there in your garage. One stray spark from the battery connection (or dumbass buddy lighting up a cigarette) and poof -- no more eyebrows (or worse).

Google "Gasoline Calibration Fluid" yields:

Recommendations
50% deinonized water / 50% alcohol (lemony)
Heptane
Stoddard Solvent (not bad for 32oz)
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=209516

Viscor 16A and 16B
http://www.rockvalleyoil.com/cf.html

MVTM - Gasoline
http://www.petrotest.com/index_2681a6f7 … 01_en.html

Total Lubricants - XE 7140 (contact info)
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=117108

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Very nice but word of warning. Get a fuel filter in there.

We were actually testing our new fuel injection setup in a similar fashion a few days ago and all the injectors were spraying fine and life was good. A few tests later and one of the injectors started asking funny. We're guessing we sucked up a piece of junk outta the generator fuel tank we were siphoning from.

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

Troy wrote:

That's cool.
While all that sounds simple to you, it sounds out of my range of geekdom.

Thanks.  I had to throw a few geeky details in there for any fellow engineers out there...

Mike98036 wrote:

If they're PET bottles (which most convenience size bottles are in the US) they should be fine.

Yep, no apparent problems.  Version 2.0 may use polycarbonate Nalgene bottles, which I believe are also tolerant of fuel.

thaduke2003 wrote:

Total cost?

$25 fuel rail, $25 fuel pump (bought at the local non-pick-n-pull), and an $8 fuel filter were the only things we bought specifically for this.  The lines, hoses, clamps, piece of metal, battery, wires, a couple Powerades, etc. were just sitting around.  The board cost me about $15 to build.

And would you be willing to produce more/another for me? smile

I wouldn't want to support a copy of this prototype in the field, but if you or anyone wants code or schematics, no problem.  The board was very time-consuming to produce, mostly because I am a perfectionist (the bottom side has a lot of wires, all trimmed to the shortest possible length and neatly routed).

I would consider doing a basic cleaning/flow testing service for other Lemons teams, but we would need to improve the design first to make it a little more user-friendly.  The hose clamps are tedious, and we need a bracket to mount the bottles (and the bottles themselves need drains back to the tank).

gunn wrote:

Pretty cool DIY job; the thing that scares me most is the spraying of fuel right there in your garage.

Thanks.  All the sprayed fuel stays in the bottles, but I know what you're getting at.  We knew it was unsafe, and we did it anyway...we'll do better next time smile

St. Mary wrote:

Very nice but word of warning. Get a fuel filter in there.

Thanks.  That cylinder you see clamped in the feed line is in fact a filter; the pump is in the jug.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

10 (edited by Anarchyjet 2012-03-09 04:54 AM)

Way to nice for Lemons but I thought of doing something similar with this.
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Catalog%20Images/Fueling/AdditonalInjector-225225.jpg

atpturbo

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

Good quality fuel delivery is something we tend to take for granted at the power levels we make. I mean it just does not take a lot of sophistication to make 150hp.

As we see cars get stronger and faster and newer we are going to see the level of sophistication needed to get the most out of our piece of crap death traps rise a great deal.

Sign me up for coming technical revolution.

Daniel Sycks

^ You're making 150 HP?! Cheater... smile Mark W.

In our current car we aspire to one day hope to make 150hp maybe.

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:

In our current car we aspire to one day hope to make 150hp maybe.

Downhill with a tailwind.  AmIright?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

With a second Paseo engine, we MIGHT make 150 WHP smile If it'll stop rod knocking... Mark W.

obsolete wrote:

We were surprised to see that all of the different kinds of used OEM fuel injectors we tested had narrow, jet-like spray patterns.  My friend had some brand new 60 lb/hr aftermarket injectors, so we compared those side by side with my mystery forum injectors.  His (on the right) produced a wide, finely atomized puff of fuel, compared to the jet that came out of mine.  Hmph, maybe mine aren't that great...

From what I know, port injection will have a narrower spray pattern aimed at the intake valve.  I use some ford CFI injectors from mid 80s V8s.  They used throttle body injection with only two (or maybe 3-4) large injectors.  They have a wider pattern, but have worked OK on my car with port injection (4 cyl, 4 injectors, injector in the intake manifold near the entry to the port in the head).

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

Cool.  I'm guessing those are low-impedance / peak & hold style injectors, right?

Anarchyjet wrote:

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Catalog%20Images/Fueling/AdditonalInjector-225225.jpg
atpturbo

Hey, that's really cool!  Would be good for a street car project.

obsolete wrote:

Cool.  I'm guessing those are low-impedance / peak & hold style injectors, right?

Yes, the ford CFIs are.  I use a resistor pack with them, running with MS1.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

Anarchyjet wrote:

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/graphics/00 … 225225.jpg

atpturbo

That's basically what we're doing on our Chevette, but it's all being built from scratch (except the injector of course)

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Obsolete:
Are you still using gasoline, 50/50 water+alcohol, or one of these fancy gasoline calibration fluids for your tests?

I told a friend of mine about your testing and he told me the story of how he tried to DIY a retrofit a fuel injection system onto his aircooled bug and ended up singeing off his arm and chest hair during testing of the injectors. His feedback: spraying gasoline in your garage is never a good idea. smile

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

It's had the fuel drained out of it and has been sitting under the workbench since its first test run.  Haven't had a need to break it out again.  Next time I use it, I'll probably try Kerosene.

Hi Obsolete,
I like to do something like that, I was looking on the web and found some circuit with 555 and other with a LM1949 and a pic,
I like to take a look at your circuit and program if it is posible.  thank you very much. Fabian

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17mc5l0vjonh5jpg/k-medium.jpg

This is remarkably similar to a tester I made when my turrible Tercel wouldn't run right.

+2 (1 for the geekdom, and 1 for writing in C!)

Ex-USAF civilian, still a wench