Topic: Fuel (for the fire)

Hello all!  My team will be running a 93 VW Fox in Lemons New England, we are very excited (or terrified... not sure yet).

Anyway I se the track doesnt have fuel services built in.  There are some stations nearby, what is everyone doing for fuel?  Our car only holds 10 gallons, so would it be feasable to have say 3 sets of 2 5 gallon jugs, and have one crewman doing fuel runs as we use them?  Can i show up with a couple 55 gallon drums?

Anyone whos done New england before with a small 4 cyl car, how much fuel did you use over the whole event?

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Re: Fuel (for the fire)

I think that we used 30-40 gallons for the whole weekend in a 1.6l car last year.  We used 4 5-gallon cans and went to the station when we were out.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We made a point not to buy too much fuel ahead of time 'cause we couldn't imagine our car would make it 'till dark.  Held off buying groceries for breakfast even.  Dang car ran all night, had to spring for breakfast and two days of gas smile

We go through 13 gallons an hour, but then you probably aren't running a big block Mopar.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

We used about 40 gallons at Thunderhill.  We have a rolling 35 gal tank that we fill up ahead of time.

13 gallons an hour??? wow...

At the 24 Hours Toledo race I think we went through over 200 gallons (we had more than our fair share of time in the penalty box so we spent a lot of time off the track).

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury

rocketresto wrote:

At the 24 Hours Toledo race I think we went through over 200 gallons (we had more than our fair share of time in the penalty box so we spent a lot of time off the track).

My God, what kind of car? 

My little 1.3 I doubt is gonna use that much fuel.  It gets 25-30 MPG on the street now and i drive like a complete maniac.  I was thinking 15 MPG on the track is not unreasonable.

I wonder how much fuel the MetroGnome uses in a race?

This a good question. We are running a 1.8 8v Golf in NE. Our plan is to bring as many cans has we can and fill them as we need them.

Coming from Jersey though, fuel is cheap(er) so might try and load up a few cans before hand.

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

10 (edited by rocketresto 2009-05-15 02:36 PM)

"My God, what kind of car?"

This answer your question?

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/05/67_0556.jpg

It was really fun filling it up because that was the week of the hurricane and gas spiked 50 cents per gallon between when we got there and the next day for the race.

Team Oly Express

Nice action shot! Looks like a scream to drive.

Stuntman Mike
I Wanna Roc

The Grinch/caltrans honda and Lemondemo CRX went thru 40 gallons for the pair both had 10 gallon tankks .We dumped 5 gallons every driver change every 2 hours

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Wait, you did 2 hour driving stints? How many drivers did you have?

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

14 (edited by RobL 2009-05-18 08:04 AM)

Two hours for the experienced (not just Lemons but with NASA and/or SCCA enduros) teams is typical.  You may only get one or two turns in the car depending on the number of drivers and length of the race.

If it's your first time in a race car, half hour to 45 minute stints should be the norm.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

OK, I feel mildly embarrassed even asking this.  But when thinking about refueling, the absence of pumps at the track, and the pain in the ass of tons of 5-gallon tanks, inspiration struck.  Our tow vehicle has a 30+ gallon tank, and runs on the same 87 octane that the Corvair needs.  Can we just have one 5-gallon gas tank, and siphon fuel from the van into the tank between fillups?  We'll use a real siphon, not just a length of tube, and can even do it on the fueling pad if required.  We'll be careful enough to not light ourselves on fire, but don't want to get kicked out.

Judicial opinion?

Jake--I totally see your logic, but you're multiplying your opportunities to set your self on fire by at least two or three here. The limiting factor sounds to me like your solo five-gallon jug--just buy two more and you'll be fine for the weekend.

I would think fuel jugs would probably be faster as well... no???

We have 6 5 gallon jugs we use to fill up the car.  We have a cell in back and a giant funnel.  We just take the cap off the fuel jug and dump here in.  By the time we get the car full of gas is about the amount of time it takes for a driver change.  Just make sure the filler and the holder of the funnel have full race suits on per the rules.

Team Oly Express