1 (edited by CaddyWrecker 2012-09-12 06:30 AM)

Topic: 5 Gal Gas Can Mods for Fueling

Hey folks,

Been scouring the Internets for a good DIY on modifying 5 gallon jugs for maximum air in/out during refueling.  I've seen numerous examples at the track, and wanting to do it to a handful of our jugs here in preparation for CMP in 2 weeks.

Here are the jugs - 5 gallon Jegs (Red) so that they will work in NJ, too:
     http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- … tId=748910

Has anyone come across an Internet DIY and if so, could you please share the link? 

If you don't have an online example, what parts are you using: 
1) Is it a 3/4" brass hose adapter out of the top (using the stockcap) or custom fit? 
2) how are you connecting the vent tube to the area which contains the existing breather hole?  Sandwiching brass fittings between the jug plastic, or some combination of drill-out and/or jb weld? 
3) Is it JB Weld or some other epoxy compound?
4) Any special tubing to stay away from?  In other words, can I pick up all parts at my local Home Depot/Lowes or does it all have to be from an automotive supply store? 

Thanks in advance,
Cousin Dave

Cousin Dave from Speedycop & the Gang of Outlaws.

Re: 5 Gal Gas Can Mods for Fueling

I'd be interested in this also.  When we watch teams with a fuel cell with a dry break attachment it is 10 secs to put in 5 gals, but it takes a 90 secs (at least) per 5 gals with the traditional hoses.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

3 (edited by rodknox2 2012-09-12 07:17 AM)

South Jersey...I was born in Woodbury but haven't been back there in a long, long, long time.

17 seconds...We retapped the cap to 1", plugged the vent hole and used a 1/2" bulkhead fitting at the bottom.

edit....After looking at the Jegs jugs...our mod probably won't work.  The other way is to use the vent hole.  Run a hose to the bottom of the jug both inside and outside.  You'll need a fitting for the vent hole. The idea is to get air to the bottom of the jug without having to bubble through the fuel.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/6792462779_baf8909c61.jpg
P9100141 by rodknox2, on Flickr

I really need to do this. It takes us like 5 minutes to refuel.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Here are mine.

Boat PVC bulkhead fittings in the cap for 1" hose, and a 90 out the side for the vent.  The ball valve & hose is from Lowes.  You can flip the can up with your right hand, and spin the ballvalve to vent the can and let gravity to the rest.  I think we are around 20sec per 5gal. 

No sealent, though I do have one of my 90's on the vent leaking a little bit. 

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/InDashop/Stuff2/42f37c70.jpg

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

I purchased 2 VP fuel jugs, drilled out the vent to accept a 1/4" pipe thread, added an elbow fitting with a 1/2" barb on the end and zip tied the vent hose to the handle.  Buy some Scribner caps, drill and tap for a 1-1/4" pipe thread and install 1-1/4" hose barb fittings.  Takes 27 seconds to empty 5.5 gallons and no spills.  If you need it faster than that, copy what Rodknox built.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Mercury Bobcat

555race wrote:

If you set bulkhead fittings in a bed of two-part kneadable epoxy (solvent-proof, naturally), it will usually eliminate this issue. I had that problem with the first cool suit cooler I built and then re-set the through-hole fittings with the kneadable epoxy and the problem was solved. I used some 3M product for marine use, but I suspect that JBWeld for plastics would work in this fuel jug application if you clean the surface of fuel prior to application. I don't think it will bond to the plastic if there's fuel on the surface. YMMV.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

http://www.tuffjug.com/

Our team captain was looking at how to apply these to car use, but if you guys are able to get 20-25 second fill times, maybe DIY really is the best route to take.

2011 LA-#53 300zx, 10 OA/3 B; 2012 RHoNJ-Guest Outlaw! #115 Parnelli Jones Galaxie; LA-#53 300zx, 15 OA/5 B; HH-#53 300zx KERBLOOIE!!!; 2013 TGTN-#53 300zx, 30 OA/4 B; LA-#86 golf, 32 OA/7 B; HH-#53 300zx; 2014 HH-#53 300zx
2017 HH-Squidrope #847 BATMOBILE, 9 laps of DOMINATION then Screwed; 2019 HH-#847 batmobile, 42 OA; 2021 Thompson-#847 batmobile, 12 OA;  HH-got Corked (#491 Miata), 72 OA

555race wrote:

Here are mine.

Boat PVC bulkhead fittings in the cap for 1" hose, and a 90 out the side for the vent.  The ball valve & hose is from Lowes.  You can flip the can up with your right hand, and spin the ballvalve to vent the can and let gravity to the rest.  I think we are around 20sec per 5gal. 

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/InDashop/Stuff2/42f37c70.jpg

With this setup, any thoughts on using a one-way check valve in place of a manual ball valve to avoid having to operate the valve while holding up the jug?  Or has that worked to keep the spillage minimal before the fuel hose is properly in the car's fuel fill pipe?

2011 LA-#53 300zx, 10 OA/3 B; 2012 RHoNJ-Guest Outlaw! #115 Parnelli Jones Galaxie; LA-#53 300zx, 15 OA/5 B; HH-#53 300zx KERBLOOIE!!!; 2013 TGTN-#53 300zx, 30 OA/4 B; LA-#86 golf, 32 OA/7 B; HH-#53 300zx; 2014 HH-#53 300zx
2017 HH-Squidrope #847 BATMOBILE, 9 laps of DOMINATION then Screwed; 2019 HH-#847 batmobile, 42 OA; 2021 Thompson-#847 batmobile, 12 OA;  HH-got Corked (#491 Miata), 72 OA

I can't help but feel that drilling holes in a jug would invalidate its "DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-" approval.  Just saying.

Scott

We cleared our jugs with Al the 'refueling cop' here in the west.

We just bit the bullet and bought 2 Hunsakers, which are basically already made with the vent set up you are all making.

Jaz makes one now too. I don't know why they insist on calling them 7 gallon jugs, they are the same size as all the other "utility jugs".

http://www.jazproducts.com/new_products.html

http://www.jazproducts.com/media/auto/noGlugJug.jpg

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

We just bit the bullet and bought 2 Hunsakers, which are basically already made with the vent set up you are all making.

Jaz makes one now too. I don't know why they insist on calling them 7 gallon jugs, they are the same size as all the other "utility jugs".

http://www.jazproducts.com/new_products.html

http://www.jazproducts.com/media/auto/noGlugJug.jpg

Just beware for anyone running both series that those are not allowed for ChumpCar use due to the extra volume.  The Hunsakers are 6 gal and the Jazz are 7 gal.  They allow only 5 gal jugs.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

We have jugs that are similar to the ones rodknox has except they have a screw cap for the vent.  I drilled out the vent pedestal and stuck the largest diameter hard plastic tubing I could through the hole all the way to the bottom.  I used sealer around the end before I shoved it all the way in and then cut it flush with the top of the pedestal.  The vent screw top keeps the vent sealed for transport and there is nothing extra on the outside of the jug. I forget the exact amount of time but it takes about 25-30 secs to dump a gal.  The cans came with a 1/2" PVC pipe shoved in the end of the clear tube to put gas in unleaded tanks I guess.  I played around with water and found that it flowed the 5 gals slightly slower with the pipe removed than it did with the 1/2" reducer pipe in there.  Funny fluid dynamics going on or just an anomoly caused be me juggling the jug at the same time as using my android stopwatch.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

You guys realize that per Jay and the rules all of this is highly illegal. We went through this discussion about a year ago when 24HoL instituted the 5 gallon rule (as had Chump Car). Jay's very stern warning was STOCK 5 Gallon jugs - no mods - no more discussion- no mods.

So
1. Stop talking about it here on the Forum. HQ is writing down your teams info right now (well probably not, unless you've pissed them off somehow).
2. Don't Ask 24 HoL if your stuff is OK. It isn't, so don't ask. And if you have 7 gallon jugs that drain in 20 seconds vs someone else's 5 gallon stock jugs be prepared to get a penalty if they get pissed off at you and tattle to HQ.
3. if we need to talk about this, do it off line.  if we need to talk about your tits , we can talk about them off line.

None of this every happened.  And  I did not actually write this, it was someone who hijacked my account temporarily. I was never here.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

I think dry break systems should be outlawed then.  That's the epitome of the credit card wrench.   30s vs 240 seconds for 15 gals.  4 pit stops per day.  That ~13 mins per day.  Hard to make that up if everything else is equal. 

Not that we're racing to win. 

I never even posted this either.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

17 (edited by Dave 2012-09-12 06:00 PM)

I used a 1 3/4 hole saw on the fuel filler neck to remove the fapper,(fuel filler restrictor) put a big funnel in and pour in the fuel. takes no time at all to put in 5 gallons.

It Ain't My Fault

mackwagon wrote:

Jay's very stern warning was STOCK 5 Gallon jugs - no mods - no more discussion- no mods.

This is honestly the first I've heard of no can mods, my jugs have fueled 2 Lemons events and something like santioned 20 desert offroad events. 

I'll take my jugs and you can take a now bankrupt Blitz (75% market share) 5-gal that you could get at Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes with the mandatory EPA nozzle and we'll only test to see who leaks the least amount of fuel.   Speed aside I will get 99.99% of my full can into the vehicle, You will get 50% all over you and the ground, 30% on the car, and 20% in the hole.

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

As I pointed out before when mentioning the Hunsakers, they are marketed as 6 gallon jugs, the Jaz jugs are 7 gallons, but since they are all designed to fit in the same space as your typical "Utility Jug" I don't see how they are any different. Have you noticed the utility jugs all have a fill line about 10 inches from the top? That's the 5 gallon line. You can easily get more than 6 in one of them.

20 (edited by Jeff G 78 2012-09-12 09:18 PM)

Parkwod60 wrote:

As I pointed out before when mentioning the Hunsakers, they are marketed as 6 gallon jugs, the Jaz jugs are 7 gallons, but since they are all designed to fit in the same space as your typical "Utility Jug" I don't see how they are any different. Have you noticed the utility jugs all have a fill line about 10 inches from the top? That's the 5 gallon line. You can easily get more than 6 in one of them.

Was this a reply to my CCWS comment?  The reason I brought it up was because a team was at the MIS CCWS race a few weeks ago with 6 gal Hunsaker jugs and they were deemed too big per the rules by the race director.  The team wasn't in contention for a podium, so they were allowed to finish the race with them, but they were told not to bring them back to a CCWS race.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I had to do a search and dig this old gem up:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 129#p70129

widgetsltd wrote:

I specifically asked Nick about the Hunsaker 5-gallon fuel jug, like this:

widgetsltd wrote:

Hi Nick,

I have attached a picture of a Hunsaker 5-gallon fuel jug.  Does this comply with the new 2011 Lemons fueling rules?  I do not know if it has any DOT, SCCA or NASA markings on it, but then I have several very conventional 5-gallon fuel jugs that are not marked with DOT, SCCA or NASA.  I know that the larger, 11-gallon Hunsaker jugs are marked "SCORE approved, ASA approved."

Thanks,
Greg Smith
Team Los Cerdos Voladores
Corona, California

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/GregSmith/hunsaker_1.jpg

...and today I received his reply:

Nick wrote:

Hi, Greg--

Yeah, that unit is fine--we're trying to avoid homemade stuff, buckets o' gas, etc.

Cheers,

Nick

So, Nick's reply is remarkably similar to Jay's purported statement on the topic.  Does that help?  I think so.

I have been using this as my interpretation of the rules. The whole reason for the 5 gallon jug rule was to ELIMINATE home made stuff.

If you really are worried about those last few seconds in the pits, and money is no object, I did find these. You will need to add your own caps:

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5079312-richard … allon.html

http://pitstopusa.com/images/M14609128.jpg

I definitely remember the thread, where it was stated very explicitly "unmodified store-bought containers, designed and made for the express purpose of carrying fuel"

But the rules don't state this directly.

"handheld DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved 5-gallon or smaller jugs" implies unmodified, but doesn't directly state it.

We are following the intent of the rules, and using unmodified cans, similar to the JEGS style cans.   Our fuel cell doesn't seem to want to accept fuel much faster than that anyway without backing up into the filler neck.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Found it.  Post #47

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 57&p=2

JThw8 wrote:

Ok everyone, I just heard back from Jay with clarification on the fuel jugs.  I was going to paraphrase it and type it up all nice but honestly I think you all need to read it in the original text and grasp it fully.   Let's all stop trying to be Smokey Yunick Jr and find loopholes and just apply some common sense when reading the rules wink

From Jay
"The purpose of the rule is to have people use 5-gallon (or smaller) fuel jugs. If it's 5 gallons or smaller, and it was made in a real factory by a real business, and it's sold to real people at real stores for the express purpose of carrying real fuel, it's OK. It's a 5-gallon goddamn fuel jug: You don't need to be Supreme Court Judge Potter Steward to know it when you see it.

"If it's an old cider jug, then it's not frickin' OK. If you add a pump, or a siphon, or put it on a rack, or do anything else that you think is incredibly clever, it's not OK. We want you pouring your fuel into your fuel tank from 5-gallon fuel jugs that you lifted by hand. Please get on with your life now."

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Parkwod60 wrote:

The whole reason for the 5 gallon jug rule was to ELIMINATE home made stuff.

Ok, let me make clear from the start that this is not an official rule or anything. I could be completely mis-remembering, or mis-stating, or Jay could say "Mulry is an idiot, don't listen to him".  That said:

Jay and I had a pretty detailed conversation about this once upon a time, and my take away from it was really that his main concern was to get back to 5-gallon(ish) store-bought fuel cans. Prior to the rule institution, there were several teams who had built larger fuel rigs that were gravity fed at a height above the drivers and he was worried about those flowing uncontrollably if a fire broke out and having a bunch (like 11 gallons) of fuel right there in the way. And there was a rumor that a team in Louisiana at the last NPR race showed up with a fuel gadget that pressurized the fuel with an air compressor, essentially creating what is technically known as a "bomb". So that's why he wanted to get back to 5-gallon(ish) cans. He doesn't care if we use Hunsaker jugs. He has zero interest in patrolling pit lane for non-conforming jugs. He just doesn't want anybody dying because of some custom fuel rig.

In addition, he told me that he doesn't really care if the jugs are modified so that the air can flow into the jugs faster, so long as they're still 5-gallon(ish) jugs and the mods aren't unsafe. If you're leaking fuel, he'd have a problem with that. But just adding vents to the jugs, so long as they are not leaking, he doesn't have much of a problem with that.

Again, standard disclaimer, YMMV, don't rely on this as legal advice, I don't play a doctor on TV, etc.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

You guys make this way more difficult that it need to be.

I like Pit Posse Jugs.

http://pitposse.com/po5gautju.html

Slip a hose over the male threaded vent, clamp it and run the tube down the size. Poof... vented and spill resistant. I don't want gas on my gloves.

Add a big of a hose as you can and your in good shape.

No need to drill holes or do other crazy stuff to the jug.

Sorry I don't have pics.

VP jugs are okay too but I really like the dual handles on the Pit Posse jugs.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z