Topic: What is everyone using for a fuel cell

Will any steel tank with a bladder work or is there a certain certification needed?
Thanks in advance!

2 (edited by Parkwod60 2012-10-23 07:05 AM)

Re: What is everyone using for a fuel cell

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/pricesandrules.aspx

3.25: Fuel Tanks/Fuel Cells: All fuel systems, including OE fuel tanks and aftermarket fuel cells, must be sound and in good working order. Maximum allowed capacity is 24 gallons or less. Fuel tanks or cells must be completely behind, or completely in front of, the driver (unless OE parts in their OE locations). No second fuel tanks allowed (unless OE parts in their OE locations).

3.25.1: Aftermarket Fuel Cells Versus OE Fuel Tanks. Fuel cells are allowed,but they are NOT mandatory. Don't make the rookie mistake of assuming that anything billed as a "fuel cell" is safer than a sound OE fuel tank.High-quality, professionally constructed, correctly installed fuel cells tend to be safer than OE tanks; cheap and/or poorly installed fuel cells tend to be less safe than OE tanks.
        3.25.2: Fuel Cell Installation: If you decide to install a fuel cell, it must be securely mounted in a professional manner and must be installed in a safe location where it won't be damaged in an impact or drag on the ground if the car leaves the track. All aftermarket fuel components must use threaded fittings and appropriate hose types, and must include all appropriate racecar-quality vents, valves, and other safety features. Fuel-cell installations will be judged on their overall execution and apparent safety. Cars whose fuel cells do not feature internal foam, a puncture-resistant bladder, and/or metal encasement are considerably more likely to fail tech inspection.

Also this section spells out an FIA certified fuel cell if it is going to be sharing the passenger compartment with the driver (or in the rear hatch area in a hatchback)

3.18: Fuel Bulkhead: The fuel-tank area must be totally separated from the driving compartment. For example, if the fuel tank is in the trunk area, any openings between the trunk and the cockpit must be permanently sealed with bolted, riveted, or welded metal panels. OE fuel tanks that are separate from, and located completely below, the trunk floor or rear-cabin floor are acceptable. If the fuel tank can't be completely separated from the cockpit by metal panels, a metal-encased, FIA-certified fuel cell with all related compliant fittings must be used.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

High-quality, professionally constructed, correctly installed fuel cells tend to be safer than OE tanks; cheap and/or poorly installed fuel cells tend to be less safe than OE tanks

Thats it?

mgutyan wrote:

High-quality, professionally constructed, correctly installed fuel cells tend to be safer than OE tanks; cheap and/or poorly installed fuel cells tend to be less safe than OE tanks

Thats it?

I'm not sure that I'd jump to that conclusion with regard to fuel cell versus OE tank. At least on relatively modern cars, the OE tank is remarkably safe due to all the testing and safety regs that the Federales require.  But the second part -- cheap and/or poorly installed cells being less safe than OE tanks -- is a fair conclusion.

It bears mention that a "fuel cell," for Lemons purposes, is comprised of three critical parts: (1) a purpose-built metal can (2) in which is placed a puncture-resistant fuel bladder (3) which is filled with foam.  Anything else is just a fuel tank. The 2013 rules are expected to draw this distinction more clearly and emphasize that anything other than a fuel cell or the OE tank in its OE application is pretty unlikely to pass tech.

It also bears mention that the installation of a fuel cell is fraught with peril and cannot be accomplished without significant financial outlay. It is not the place to cut corners and tech is exceedingly (and justifiably) strict with regard to fuel cell issues.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

5 (edited by Team Sensory Assault 2012-10-23 07:24 AM)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/IMG_3015.jpg  big_smile

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Any steel tank with a deformable bladder that is properly installed will pass tech, but if it's not FIA certified it needs to be completely isolated from the passenger compartment, meaning either in a trunk with all openings blocked off or with a metal housing built around it.  The "fuel cells" that don't have a bladder will not pass tech - arguably they're not actually fuel cells but rather just gas cans.

The cell needs to be solidly mounted with a full perimeter enclosure.  You can't just set it down in a well - it needs to have bars or heavy steel angle over it.  It should have a cage around it for crash protection.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

Any steel tank with a deformable bladder that is properly installed will pass tech, but if it's not FIA certified it needs to be completely isolated from the passenger compartment, meaning either in a trunk with all openings blocked off or with a metal housing built around it.  The "fuel cells" that don't have a bladder will not pass tech - arguably they're not actually fuel cells but rather just gas cans.

The cell needs to be solidly mounted with a full perimeter enclosure.  You can't just set it down in a well - it needs to have bars or heavy steel angle over it.  It should have a cage around it for crash protection.

Thats what I was looking for.
Thanks

If I raced a car with the OE fuel tank behind the rear axle I personally would ditch it and put in a proper fuel cell.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

What is your car and where and in what shape is your tank.

Typically FWD that have their tank infront of the rear axle are going to be in a safer location then you will get your fuel cell.  I won't go as far to say they are safer than all fuel cells, but you will need an installation that is well thought out and executed to match that protection, so if your tank is in good shape it might be wise to leave well enough alone and worry about the thousands of other things you probably need to do to get the car ready for its first race.

Older rwd cars with the fuel tank hanging by the rear bumper, a fuel cell will definitely improve safety.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

10 (edited by Brett85p 2012-10-23 07:38 AM)

I added a picture on page 3 of this thread http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=18488 It shows the frame we had to add around our "Jegs" fuel cell at Autobahn. Because it is not an FIA cell we had to isolate it from the driver, in the case of a hatchback this means below the floor in the back. Jay didn't like that it was open to rear impact. We were never 100% comfortable with it as it was so had no problems adding the bars.

Important thing is to make sure it is secure, isolated from the driver by a metal firewall and not prone to explosion in the case of rear impact.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

If you install a fuel cell, you should remove your OE fuel tank, correct? (At least that is what i thought I heard somewhere from Jay's second cousin that knows the Evil One)

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Can't see why you would keep the old tank.  It is against the rules to use both, so it would just be a big hunk of metal adding weight to the car, plus its hard to make sure the tank is 100% empty without dropping it.  So I'd assume you should remove the old tank.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I have heard or read that the 2013 Fuel Cell Rules will also require the use of foam in the tank.

I have seen so many teams sidelined pulling little pubic hair looking pieces of foam out of their fuel pick ups. 

We had looked at foam at one point but after seeing the misery of others, we have not yet added foam to our fuel cell.  Looks like we will have no choice in the matter now.

From what I can tell - you can either get foam for gasoline or you can get foam for alcohol.  They break down if you introduce the wrong liquid to either one.   If you bring in pump gas from outside, its really gasohol.  I suspect the alcohol in the gas is what slowly breaks down the foam.   Of course I am just speculating.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

BoB wrote:

Can't see why you would keep the old tank.  It is against the rules to use both, so it would just be a big hunk of metal adding weight to the car, plus its hard to make sure the tank is 100% empty without dropping it.  So I'd assume you should remove the old tank.

You could fill it with jello to lower your center of gravity. Add vodka and you could break it open at the end of the race like a piñata and have jello shots.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

I have heard or read that the 2013 Fuel Cell Rules will also require the use of foam in the tank.

I have seen so many teams sidelined pulling little pubic hair looking pieces of foam out of their fuel pick ups. 

We had looked at foam at one point but after seeing the misery of others, we have not yet added foam to our fuel cell.  Looks like we will have no choice in the matter now.

From what I can tell - you can either get foam for gasoline or you can get foam for alcohol.  They break down if you introduce the wrong liquid to either one.   If you bring in pump gas from outside, its really gasohol.  I suspect the alcohol in the gas is what slowly breaks down the foam.   Of course I am just speculating.

I can't remember where I saw it, but there is a product you can put your fuel cell foam into that will help stop this from happening.  It was like pantyhose basically.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

you would think they would make the foam out of a silicone base so that wouldnt happen.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

From what I can tell  the best solution to the foam degradation is to plan to replace it once a year or so - and then actually do it.

Probably helps to empty the cell between races as well.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

From RCI, a maker of non-FIA fuel cells, there is no foam out there that will hold up to a tank full of methanol.  Gasoline, yes.  Methanol, no.  I don't know how the blend will affect the foam.  I want to say that it is preferred that you don't drain the tank, as the drying out of the foam is what makes it dry and brittle - leading to decomposition.

Of course, you should make your own phone call because I called them about 3 years ago with the same questions then.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

20 (edited by dculberson 2012-10-23 01:03 PM)

Do you mean  ethanol or methanol?  Gas is mixed with ethanol.  Methanol is a race fuel that's a good bit more volatile.

Or do I have that mixed up?  I am pretty sure it lists ethanol content on the gas pumps.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I was referring to Methanol.  But, you're correct about ethanol being the mix at the pumps - corn based instead of wood based alcohol.  But I would suspect (if for some reason you weren't willing to call subject matter experts) that alcohol in general is bad for the foam.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)

Its just my prediction that when the foam is required in the cells - there will be lots more discussion about it.

So far we have just dealt with the slosh.

The slosh has been dealt with through the creative use of other objects - like wiffle balls.  But that doesn't help with the unlikely even of a fuel cell rupture.

You have two options when going with a fuel cell and either one is both costly and time consuming.

Non-FIA rated RCI cell-  it is of good quality but there are drawbacks since the pickup is in the right rear corner and it doesn't come with foam.  After purchasing the foam, Walbro fuel pickups (that's right, plural as you'll need one for each rear corner of the cell) and in-tank hose, you'll end up saving about $200-$300 over Option 2.  If you are running a carburetor, have a trunk rather than a hatchback then go this route.

FIA rated ATL or Fuel Safe cell- Better quality, comes with foam and pickups, and works better with fuel injected cars better than a roundy round cell.  Plus, you don't have to build a metal bulkhead.

As far as execution of the install, e-mail The Evil One to get his blessing.

If your car doesn't have starvation issues and it has the capacity to go 2 hours before re-fueling, I'd stick with the OEM tank.  Just my .02

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Mercury Bobcat

What Mulry said: For 2013 a cell will have to have a metal container, deformable bladder and foam, or it just isn't allowed.     OE tank or a conforming cell, FIA or not, will be required.  believe it.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'