Re: My First Experience with that *other* Crapcan Racing Series

therood wrote:
Tubby wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I'm wondering if the malibu was the Ghetto motorsports car that they sold.

Did it have 1/2 of a roof?

The white malibu was a beast.  I had a front row seat with it battling the chopped probe. 

I don't think it had a chopped top.  It looked and sounded mean.  Fast on the straights but not so much in the corners.  Although it handled much better than I thought is ever could.

Was it the "One Piece at a Time" car? I'm pretty sure that's a different car from the Ghetto Malibu.  It's been running Chump for a few years and they've come close to winning a couple times.

I don't know if it was that car or not.  I'll tell you that the cars in the SE are very impressive and the level of competition is clearly a step up from the Midwest.

Tubby

Don't get me wrong - I love the track.  I was coming over the hill under the bridge in 4th gear and was on the shift light in 5th going past start finish.  Rollercoaster is right.  But the same things that make the track great for cars like mine, is going to make it bad for slower cars and create huge closing speeds going into blind corners.  I feel comfortable running Chump there because there is more parity among the cars.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

28 (edited by Team Infinniti 2012-12-11 09:09 AM)

While it is a fun track I could see where 100+ cars of various class could get sticky, saying that we cant wait to have another crack at Tubby (and everyone else)under better circumstance.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Lemons has gradually opened up to faster and more challenging tracks without an appreciable increase in wrecks, though.  Remember the very first CMP race?  Short course, with a chicane to break up the front straight.  The next race, no chicane, and actually fewer wrecks.  Now we're running the full course and I've yet to hear of any issues. 

The blind corners and hills at R/A would be interesting with a Class A E46 coming up on a Class C '62 Fury, though.  And there was a lot of concrete to be hit.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

30 (edited by Tubby 2012-12-11 10:17 AM)

I was actually surprised there weren't more incidents.  Especially later in the race when the rain was coming down at night. 

There were a few cars that were too far to the left and ended up on the pit out vs. the track. 

When can I go back??!!

Here's a video post that I think is the Malibu but I'm not sure.  Make sure your speakers are cranked up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … CmICunyJNc

Tubby

Tubby wrote:

I was actually surprised there weren't more incidents.  Especially later in the race when the rain was coming down at night. 

There were a few cars that were too far to the left and ended up on the pit out vs. the track. 

When can I go back??!!

The red @ the beginning of the rain somehow finished our trans, the driver thought it was wheel spin till it wouldn't  pull in high, not that I enjoy it but I set  fast wet track time at night at sebring, it was my stint next sad so regardless of weather Feb is the next time that series there.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Tubby wrote:

When I was coming in to pit at night, I was in a pack of 5 cars.  I come out of 10b and we all line up on the outside of 11.  As we crest, not a single car turned right.  I panicked, and start looking to get even more left to get to the pit out road.  All I saw was wall.  When we finally came over the top and my lights hit the pit out road and I saw that I was oriented correctly came as a big relief.  5 of us randomly pitting at the same time...

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

RobL wrote:
Tubby wrote:

When I was coming in to pit at night, I was in a pack of 5 cars.  I come out of 10b and we all line up on the outside of 11.  As we crest, not a single car turned right.  I panicked, and start looking to get even more left to get to the pit out road.  All I saw was wall.  When we finally came over the top and my lights hit the pit out road and I saw that I was oriented correctly came as a big relief.  5 of us randomly pitting at the same time...

Or was it just the other four following your line?

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:
RobL wrote:
Tubby wrote:

Or was it just the other four following your line?

I was the last one in this conga line.  For a long couple of seconds I was looking around for escape routes because someone HAD to have made a mistake.

When I pitted, I had the same reaction to a Saab in front of me.  I was thinking "what is this guy doing?" but it was quickly obvious that he was pitting too. 

With everyone needing gas between the 1:30 and two hour marks, there is a wave of pit stops then it gets quiet again.

Tubby

The back of our Jimmy on the way home from R/A.  I bought this at the race:

http://www.roadflares.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5898&g2_serialNumber=2

On my way in to work this morning I saw a black Porsche 944.  I had this uncontrollable urge to pass him.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

That is a fun, fun track.  At night in the rain was an interesting experience.

Tubby wrote:

The white malibu was a beast.  I had a front row seat with it battling the chopped probe. 

I don't think it had a chopped top.  It looked and sounded mean.  Fast on the straights but not so much in the corners.  Although it handled much better than I thought is ever could.

LOL...that guy blew past me heading onto the back straight.  He pulled away so quickly I lost sight of him.  The next time around he was sitting 50 yards into the runoff of 10A.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I saw the 'bu sitting in the sandtrap at 10A as well.  When I came in after my stint I was telling the rest of the team about it, and didn't realize the Malibu guys were standing right next to me.  "Yeah, that was us." they sighed!

Buzz Killington wrote:

That is a fun, fun track.  At night in the rain was an interesting experience.

Tubby wrote:

LOL...that guy blew past me heading onto the back straight.  He pulled away so quickly I lost sight of him.  The next time around he was sitting 50 yards into the runoff of 10A.

Near the end of the race, a car overshot 10a and just motored up the hill to reenter the track under the bridge.  The drivers out there were amazed to see him make it all the way.  It was highly talked about in the paddock at the end of the race.  I have no idea which car it was.

Tubby

Mike, get your SWA on a Greyhound and get to Dallas.

(Skinny White Ass) = SWA

This space for rent.

Sorry Bob, I have a feeling that would result in DBW.
(Death By Wife) = DBW

Only if you DGH
(DGH) = Do Go Home