Topic: Free car! WARNING: You might not want it...

I saw this ad on CL this morning, and sent it to Jason Torchinsky at Jalopnik. Some criminals make our job as cops too easy! This is a real Craigslist ad today, and when I called the Baltimore County Auto Theft Task Force, they found it most intriguing.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ … 37185.html

Free cars
1 1998 crown Vic with title n runs great and. 1999 crown Vic with no title. The second was repossessed my my company MC&MC, but was the wrong repoed and we never took back. Car runs great n in mint condition. Can get up a title by swapping vins easily. 100.00 for both. I own MC&MC REPOSSESSION COMPANY. IF WANT TO BUY ASAP CALL 410 365 2042, my name is norm. Best time to reach me is at night or here's my address to stop by n look at em. 2049 Furnace rd. fallston md. Both must go ASAP. Feel free to stop by anytime at my residence. TY. Ill be home all night at furnace rd or my business at 7517 Belair rd. Nottingham md. Please rush

Hey, let me admit to a crime, give my name, my company name, my home address, my cell number, my work address, all on craigslist! Those dumb cops will never catch on!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: Free car! WARNING: You might not want it...

This may be a rival trying to get that company and/or its owner in trouble with a phony CL ad... but something about this ad feels legit (if that's the word for such scumbaggery).

I used to drive trucks for a moving company on the side and our competitor would post "reviews" on CL saying we broke shit and didn't show and so on. Needless to say, I wasn't much better and set up a "botnet" at my day job to vote down as "miscategorized" all mentions of the company I drove for. CL is a dirty dirty place.

K Car Stalker

But why would he sell even the 1998 Crown Vic, with title, for $100?  And why bother swapping vins from a 1998 to a 1999 if the 1998 runs fine and has a title?  Smells of a "try to get Norm in trouble" ad.  Which, if that's the case, the police should investigate and go after the person that posted it.. in a perfect world.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

5 (edited by Speedycop 2013-04-11 08:24 AM)

Judge Phil wrote:

This may be a rival trying to get that company and/or its owner in trouble with a phony CL ad... but something about this ad feels legit (if that's the word for such scumbaggery).

My thoughts exactly.

Let's just say this did not come as a surprise to the detectives, and leave it at that...  wink

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Having just moved back to the area, and having been surfing CL for the past few months here, I'll just say that nothing here surprises me.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I've got a TTAC post going up on this later today. Keep me up to date on busts coming out of this cruel drama, either vengeful phony-ad creators or scumbag tow-yard owners.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/0 … ou-decide/