1 (edited by mikespeed95 2009-11-17 09:46 AM)

Topic: New Texas Team officially started build on Friday Nov 13 2009

So yesterday three astute gentlemen banded together with a common cause, saving America.  A mission, a pact.  The 24 Hours of Lemons Win.  The Overall, the Index of Effuluency, bathing in Nickels.  Iconism.  Winning a Bingo Championship before the age of 43.5.  All goals we share, and we will work to attain in the epic battlefield known as Lemons.

Today we present to you, Rust in the Wind.

Hailing from Texas, the current trio brings an interesting resume to the Lemons field.   

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs119.snc3/16654_10100154119729704_8356319_59347178_1879318_n.jpg
Derrick Rodgers, 28, Houston, TX.  Currently finishing up his Math and Physics degree from Houston Baptist University in Houston, TX.  He is the proud owner of a beat up Mazda Miata, and some other never-to-be-finished project that involves a Ls1 or something in a Miata with some sort of Ford rearend or something.  Derrick was well-known for his 2004 success in Formula Drift and events across Texas in a blue-and-rust colored El Camino Drift car.  He was also very well known within the Texas A&M Sports Car Club, and has built/helped build some of the best machines to come out of Texas that are competing in the Drifting circuits across the nation.  Derrick also has several Auto-x championships under his belt, as well as being the 1st person in Texas to drive a skyline into a K-rail.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs119.snc3/16654_10100154119734694_8356319_59347179_144902_n.jpg
Michael Peters, 24, Huntsville TX.  Currently finishing a Business Degree at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, TX, Mike brings a love for mustaches, sideburns, and cheap but awesome t-shirts and argile socks to the team.  His daily weapon of choice is a 1995 Tomos Sprint, or a 2003 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.  If you can get around the standup jetski parts in his garage you will also see a 1993 Nissan 240sx coupe he is building to replace his old drift car, which was the worlds 1st LS1 Powered S13 (240sx) in the world, and helped create an image for him after he drove the Bubba Drift/Flowmaster El Camino to the 2005 Formula Drift Rookie of the Year and 8th place finish in the points.  Mike has dreams and aspirations of winning Lemons, and that John Denver really is a very under-rated American Hero.  Like Derrick, Mike also has several wins/championships in several Autocross classes.  His wheel to wheel experience however is limited to beating Wade Marcantonio on Gran Turismo two, and at Basketball, and several pie eating conests and buffet eat offs.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs099.snc3/16654_10100154119744674_8356319_59347181_6093792_n.jpg
Wade Marcantonio is the 3rd Leg on the team.  23 Years old from San Antonio, Texas, Wade is ironically the youngest one of the three, and also the only one with a completed degree.  Class of 2008 from Texas A&M's Mechanical Engineering Department, while Wade never dropped out of school to pursue motorsports like the other two, Wade has 2006 & 2007 Formula SAE Titles under his belt as he was Texas A&M's Driver of choice during their championship stints in those years.  Wade also won the Chevrolet Rev-it-up challenge in 2006, scoring himself a free Chevrolet Cobalt for being the fastest competitor in the whole country.  Wade enjoys playing video games, and spending time with his kitty-cat, Kidder, who does not like swimming pools as Mike Peters has discovered.  Wade also has recently started a real estate agency, which is good since any expanding Lemons operation will need several yards to store crappy sub $500 projects that will never be finished.

The Team has chosen to go the non cookie-cutter route.  No Miata, no Mustang, no E30 here.  We have picked up a georgeous 19++ ++++++++++ +++++++ from a craigslist ad in San Antonio Texas.  We were originally told the vehicle was $400, but after some hard negotiations, and the owners realization that since the vehicle was not marketed to the right target market (ballers), that the normal craigslist buyer just wouldn't appreciate the vehicle, and that he should indeed sell it to us for a grand price of $50. 

We decided that a custom fabrication route would be a swell Idea, and we found a 1983 Mazda Rx7 for $100, and with a genuinely free stripped-down/wrecked/totalled/Russell-Walker-drove-thru-a-fence-at-gulf-greyhound-park modification to steal a couple parts off of we have our gameplan.

We will slowly update the progress, we're hoping to have our +++++++ rolling around by the end of the weekend, so now we're going to put down our Twix Bars, quit watching F1 videos, and quit buying products from firemeetsdesire.com
and get back to work.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs099.snc3/16654_10100154119185794_8356319_59347154_1792491_n.jpg

If you would like to send us money, free candy, cool t-shirts or other items, or if you'd like to show America that your product is indeed the hottest stuffz evar, and you want the iconic males putting this vehicle together to endorse your product, please feel free to contact us.

To the other teams, Good luck, you're going to need at least one mustache to keep up with us, and probably some sort of foot propulsion, but keep in mind, all we are is Rust in the Wind.

Follow our build on (Facebook for now) Facebook here:
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A … 21a055f619

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Re: New Texas Team officially started build on Friday Nov 13 2009

You might want to think about modifying your team bio to look less magnificent. Boastful guys who actually have talent tend to get heavily scrutinized at BS inspection. Boastful guys who have no talent are just boorish. Guys who have talent and manage to stay stealthy can do well at Lemons. Cheers and good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

They've got a math and science geek, a business major and an ME. 

They have driving experience.

They are at the ripe age of knowing everything.

It all looks good to me.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

A lock to get in. It's the Marvel Mystery Ship reborn.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs119.snc3/16654_10100154731917874_8356319_59377600_1164258_n.jpg

drop it like its hot.

rust in the wind 2010.

Mulry, we gotta list these things to increase our "e-rep".  Pimpin on the internet aint easy. 

ASL?!?

Mike Peters
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Good point. E-rep goes a long way with the BS judges. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Plus its more fun to make fun of yourself, and try to get some smack going with the other teams who are building possibly equally shoddy crapcans, while doing the worse possible fabrication work possible.

I wish we took pictures of us grinding off the lead paint of some used guardrail we found.

Mike Peters

8 (edited by mikespeed95 2009-11-17 09:52 AM)

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs099.snc3/16654_10100156004407794_8356319_59431509_117189_n.jpg

its not a legit Lemons build till someone is going nuts with some sort of cutting device.

you're not overcomplicating your Lemons build till your cutting device costs 1000% of the vehicle your cutting up's purchase price.

Rust in the Wind, keepin it real in the hood, yo.

Mike Peters

That's some Lemons approved use of safety goggles right there....

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

That's some Lemons approved use of safety goggles right there....

That's the "OSHA Squint," if I'm not mistaken.

-TPC

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Gloves. Sheesh. Pussy.

/smack

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Goggles?

I didnt know this was some prissy spec-miata build.  Not only does Derrick not wear goggles, he knows deodorant is for women.

Mike Peters

Yeah vision is highly over rated.  Ask Ray Charles. /sarcasm

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

wasn't expecting the uptight crowd on here, maybe if he wasn't wearing glasses he'd be more inclined to wear goggles.  we'll wear full riot gear next time.  not.

Mike Peters

Mike,

While I think a lot of guys are just giving you a hard time, safety is important.

Lemons is perceived as "cheap" racing.  Some guys take cheap all the way through their safety stuff.  I think some people are starting to notice that and are trying to emphasize being safe. 

Read some posts about racing on used or crappy tires or maybe bad brakes.  You can also find posts about guys who did and how it bit them in the ass.

In your pic, the glasses are hard to see.  Looks like you guys are working hard. 

If that's a plasma cutter, I'm jealous.  Those things are bad ass.  Also you really need a welding hood to use one and see what you're doing.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

16 (edited by mikespeed95 2009-11-18 07:10 AM)

I discussed the Welding hood with Derrick

"Dude where's your mask for the plasma cutter, I wanna play with it"
"Dude its a Lemons car, Are you really going to care to cut everything perfectly straight"
"Good point"

We're being safe, but after spending the last two years trying to do everything perfect, quality, "pro-level" Stuff to get/keep sponsors when buliding stuff, sometimes its just fun to do a completely haggard job on purpose.  Case and point, this plasma cutting job.

Sound deadening was similar

"Hey wheres the air hammer" -me in car on lift 8'up while derrick is cutting
"Dude, Lemons"
"Oh yeah my bad" , grabs vacuum, then cuts out wiring harness peices not needed with tin snips.

You save so much money getting rid of wiring when you just cut the crap ghetto style instead of skinning/de-pinning all the circuits like normal.  Its kind of...fun, haha.  I know all of you watched junkyard wars and always wanted to do some crazy post-apocalyptic build without worrying if everything is absolutely asthetically perfect, here's our chance!!

$500 with $100,000 in fabrication are awesome, but $50 cars with fabrication that is asthetically unnaceptable for payment asthetically is what we feel is the new hotness for 2010. (except on safety stuff, we'll have a semi-baller cage when we make it, and we'll actually do the chassis mounting right) but everythin else is haggard town usa.

Mike Peters

Excellent. That's what's bugging me about some of these builds- that lack of backyard engineering. Any pro/semi-pro team can make a $500 ANYTHING into a decent race car with enough CAD/machining time and a workshop full of fabrication tools, but that seems somehow against the amateur ethos of Lemons...

I'm not saying dangerous, I'm saying ghetto/hillbilly make-the-most-with-the-least engineering!

Volvo PV544 (RIP) - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Have fun, fellas.

I'll enjoy seeing the progress all the way to the track!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

X-args wrote:

That's what's bugging me about some of these builds- that lack of backyard engineering. Any pro/semi-pro team can make a $500 ANYTHING into a decent race car with enough CAD/machining time and a workshop full of fabrication tools, but that seems somehow against the amateur ethos of Lemons...

Hey, if you want to give me all the CAD and machining tools, i'll happily make my car faster.  The reality is that most Lemons drivers deliver your mail, pump your gas, fix your car, or fry your burgers.  There is a very small percentage of teams that actually know what a machine shop does, let alone have the tools in their basement.

Hell, most Lemons teams build their car in their driveway on cinder blocks in the rain.

we *may* use CAD to design our suspension before we cut up CV shafts and make a 4 link out of them.

I think we're going to play RPS to figure out if its a good idea or not.  We're also gonna be auto-xing and *gasp* drifting it for the hell of it, be nice to have it not completely suck.

We'll be posting more pics slowly as teasers over the next couple days.

Mike Peters

Not trying to be a jerk -- I'm a noob here myself -- but judging from your youtube channel, you're likely to be black-flagged approximately 6.28318446 seconds into the race. With a crowded track full of amateur drivers like me, remember to leave your drifting days behind you smile

but isnt drifting fastest way around a corner?

joke!!!!!!

Mike Peters

DORIFTO!!!!!!!

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Troy wrote:

Mike,

Lemons is perceived as "cheap" racing.  Some guys take cheap all the way through their safety stuff.  I think some people are starting to notice that and are trying to emphasize being safe. 

Read some posts about racing on used or crappy tires or maybe bad brakes.  You can also find posts about guys who did and how it bit them in the ass.

Um, don't forget the PVC Roll Cage...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

pics or bs, thats too awesome to toy about.

Mike Peters