Topic: ?: Fuel cell vent tube

We got an ATL 100 super cell.  The vent tube is 6 an.  I got a right angle fitting and stainless braided hose.

The question is:  After going forward above the tank, doing the loop and going back, do I need a bulkhead fitting to pass through the floor before exiting behind and below the tank?  The more I think about it, the more the answer seems to be yes.  Of course I ordered/received everything but a 6 AN bulkhead fitting/nut/fitting for the floor pass through.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Re: ?: Fuel cell vent tube

You are following the instructions for the vent line? go up then back down so the outlet path is both above the tank and below the tank (which is above the tank in a flip over)?  Whats the forward and back part?

Bulkhead fitting or just a rubber grommet in a correctly sized hole that hold the hose snugly, but prevents it from getting cut by the steel.?

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

You have this, "DS 381     Racing Equipment Product Safety Bulletin" PDF found at http://atlinc.com/terms.html

My understanding of this is you want to contain the liquid fuel, while providing a vent line, but you want to do that safely for all orientations/accelerations that the tank and fuel will see. So the basic need is to have a open vent tube that vents to out side the car and vents in such a way so no liquid fuel leaks out regardless of which way is up, or how hard you accelerate or decelerate (crash into a wall upside downl!).

Like I posted previously, I think a Lemons approach to this is ok, so long as you follow the basic plan. A long open hose that:
1. is above the tank, so that overfilling won't cause spillage under accelerating or decelerating. Tank lower than vent line highest point.
2. I don't see the need for the forward and backward runs of the vent hose, but ATL thinks they are needed. Maybe it allows for slosh within the tank that gets transferred to the vent line as liquid height(??).
3. You want to go below the tank so that when its inverted (when your car is on its roof, again the tank is again lower than the highest point of the vent line). Think this through so that the nose down or tail down car /fuel tank vent still make sense.
4. secured well so that a crash does not cause the vent hose to move.
5. maybe has a flame arrest-er (Simple screen works) over the end.

I don't think you need to use an AN fitting (note caps, its short for Army Navy). I as noted previously, a lemony long hose that is routed and secured well, through the floor of the car, with a good grommet (could be a wrapped radiator hose), to prevent the steel from cutting the vent line should work fine.

But ask Evil Genius (head Tech).

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Re reading the ATL instructions, it mentions going upward, then forward, then terminates below and behind the cell.

The grommet would be nice, I'd like to hear from someone who has passed tech with one.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Re reading the ATL instructions, it mentions going upward, then forward, then terminates below and behind the cell.

The grommet would be nice, I'd like to hear from someone who has passed tech with one.

No grommets, AN fittings on the vent side; passed tech on a dozen cars.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

6 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2013-06-08 05:09 PM)

The RCi cell (actually it's one of those plastic tanks) in my HC car vents the cell up and the rollover valve is in that fitting. I ran the 8AN line forward then down and out of the trunk area. I capped it with one of those K&N breather filters as a flame trap. I used 8AN because that's what size the tank fitting is, didn't see a reason to add adapters etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/jensenman/Fuelcell.jpg

The side with the stepdown adapter is the return from the injector rail.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Junkyard Dog wrote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/jensenman/Fuelcell.jpg

What's that red cross/upside-down question mark symbol indicate... not familiar.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

8 (edited by BigBird 2013-06-08 10:06 PM)

Blue Öyster Cult

In Greek mythology, "...the hook-and-cross symbol is that of Kronos (Cronus), the king of the Titans and father of Zeus...and is the alchemical symbol for lead (a heavy metal), one of the heaviest of metals."

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

The problem with just a grommet is there is a chance that the hose can pull out/up and end up in the trunk. Securing a hose well isn't an easy thing to do without a good fitting on the end. Adel clamps work ok but you can still yank the hose through it. Yeah the hose is light but for example 40 plus g's from a mediumish hard crash turns a 2 lb piece of hose into 80 lbs of pull on that hose.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

BigBird wrote:

Blue Öyster Cult

In Greek mythology, "...the hook-and-cross symbol is that of Kronos (Cronus), the king of the Titans and father of Zeus...and is the alchemical symbol for lead (a heavy metal), one of the heaviest of metals."

Yep. I'm a Blue Oyster Cult fan. Since that pic was taken, the BOC symbol has been replaced by

http://www.monkeyfuckingafootball.com/images/MFPlain.jpg

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Already ordered and received bulkhead fitting for vent line