Re: Anyone know anything about 1961 AMC Ramblers?

Judge Phil wrote:

...They are butt turrible, but I think AMC used them....

The discrete and individual parts of that sentence verifies beyond doubt the validity of the pairing of the two halves, and thus again reinforces the single parts.

RACE THAT MOFO

Yeah, I'm jealous as hell. Got me a cardialogical palpitation when I spotted the "Weather Eye" in your photos. Damn my youth, and the brain chemicals that bind the memories thereof.

- Carlos
Obviously been reading too much Cormac McCarthy, obviously; to the point of infecting my speech.

Gormless Racing
1968 MGB GT, mostly kinda running

27 (edited by cdickman12 2013-07-09 05:58 PM)

So the carb I have is a Carter RBS. It sits in place and all the linkages connect to it, so I have to assume it is correct for at least the engine, the only thing that it appears I need is the gasket to the intake manifold and the accelerator pump return spring and retainer.

Here are some pics of it, if anyone has one of these laying around or would like to sell/donate the spring and retainer or whole carb I would be interested. See first pic for explanation of known missing parts;

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/CarbParts.gif

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0063.jpg

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0064.jpg

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0066.jpg

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0067.jpg

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

I don't have any RBS carbs, but they were all over the Ford 250 in the 70s. Should be some Granadas in the junkyard still.

But the real solution is tri-power, maybe even with 3 totally different carbs.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

1967 AMC "The Now Cars" Rambler-American TV Ad (HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HItgaxxbxYo

They had me at the 'whip' sound effects...

Gormless Racing

So here is the first rip at getting it to fire with starter fluid only. Some a hole swapped the original dash - made for the stick, with the automatic dash, Ater some re-routing of the wires I was able to get voltage to the coil, starter, and get the ingition switch to kick the solenoid. And it fired! One step closer to domination in class C!

http://youtu.be/PuBWqxK4AEc

Now to clean the gas tank so I can see if it really runs - anyone have a good way to do it at home for free or should I just have it cleaned at a shop?

I also need some mobile fab work to fix the clutch linkage, I have a missing bracket. So if anyone in Sacramento is willing to come by and fab up the bracket I will provide steak and beer for their efforts.

Corey

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

chillijohns wrote:

I have some ideas

Please send me a message so we can go over these ideas - I am all ears.

When I got my '66 Dodge A100 van, it had been sitting with a full tank of (increasingly bad) gas for 15 or so years. I drained the tank (the sludgy, coffee-colored stuff that came out was barely flammable and smelled like an organic-chemistry experiment gone terribly awry), let it dry, then dumped in a couple pounds of drywall screws plus some 1/2" ball bearings and some lug nuts. Then I spent most of a weekend shaking the tank and vacuuming out the horrible varnishy crap that got knocked loose. Then I poured rubbing alcohol through the fuel lines and blew them out with compressed air. It still clogged several fuel filters with icky brownish-reddish-blackish crap once I started driving it, but eventually it worked OK.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/550x444xTunachuckers_LTD-32-550x444.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pFOG7EkiXM.jpg

Of course, the rigors of road racing (plus ethanol in modern gas) have a way of loosening vast quantities of old fuel-system crud that you thought you'd exorcised, as proven by the Tunachuckers and their LTD. You'll want to bring lots of spare fuel filters to the race. You might consider running two filters in parallel, so you still get fuel when one clogs.

cdickman12 wrote:

So the carb I have is a Carter RBS. It sits in place and all the linkages connect to it, so I have to assume it is correct for at least the engine, the only thing that it appears I need is the gasket to the intake manifold and the accelerator pump return spring and retainer.

Here are some pics of it, if anyone has one of these laying around or would like to sell/donate the spring and retainer or whole carb I would be interested. See first pic for explanation of known missing parts;

How easy is it to access that linkage with the carb installed?  It looks like a couple of washers (I think the staked section on the linkage just holds a washer, not a fancy clip), a selection of suitable diameter coil springs in various lengths, wire gauges and coil counts, a set of Dykes, some beer and some experimentation may be all you need.

-jt
Unionized Physicist
Tetanus Racing
1986 Porsche 944, #986

I've done the same thing as Phil except I use chains now.  On some tanks there are internal walls and such that make it time consuming to get that crap you dropped in there back out.  Chains you can snag easier and pull out.  It's tough to get that syrupy fuel out.  You could kill a day easy on that.  I currently have a TR250 that I resurrected a few years ago and I still have to clean the filter twice a year and the the float bowls every so often.  When I first got it the fuel line was plugged solid.  I sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in both ends of the hard line but no go.  I ended up attaching an air line from the compressor to it and just left 120lb of pressure sitting on it.  A few hours later I heard the compressor running and went into the yard to find it had pushed a 5 ft stick of foul smelling black licorice looking stuff out onto the ground.  I sprayed carb cleaner through it until it came out clean on the other end.  After all the filters I've replaced since then, I probably should have just replaced the hard line but sometimes I'm too cheap for my own good.  Then again, the crap I'm still getting could be from the tank.  In any case, you are going to want to drive this thing for a couple weeks before you bring it to the track just to give it time for the remaining crap to clog up the filter when you are on the road rather than dicking with it at the track.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I know nothing about Ramblers, but I thought I'd drop by to deliver a huge thumbs up to your vehicle choice.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

When I got my 1960 Chevy wagon on the road I had the darnedest time getting the tank clean, only to then discover the rust & varnish was all that was sealing the pinholes in the bottom of it. Be prepared to buy a fuel cell if you really want to race it, or at the very least find a new stock tank.

Can you get a new reproduction metal tank for it? I am amazed what is available, but alas my wagon uses a different tank than a coupe or sedan, so it I can't get one.

jimthefirst wrote:
cdickman12 wrote:

How easy is it to access that linkage with the carb installed?  It looks like a couple of washers (I think the staked section on the linkage just holds a washer, not a fancy clip), a selection of suitable diameter coil springs in various lengths, wire gauges and coil counts, a set of Dykes, some beer and some experimentation may be all you need.

Got the throttle linkage figured out now. The stock system is full of fail. It has three or four pivot points with bushings in order to hook up to the carb, but not bad once I set it on there and sorted through the spare parts in the trunk.

Junk yard throttle cable should be less fail prone and easy to adapt

Judge Phil wrote:

...You might consider running two filters in parallel, so you still get fuel when one clogs.

THIS.

Do it anyway, even you think your system is brand new.

Gormless Racing

40 (edited by cdickman12 2013-07-13 02:28 PM)

And our introduction into the Class C world has begun;

Turns out we had a couple of valves that decided they did not want to open which resulted in the first pic;

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0082.jpg

SO we pulled the head to repair them, at least the cylinders are in good shape;

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0080.jpg

Hopefully our pit spot will not look anything like this at our first race;

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0081.jpg

Looks like the exhaust ports are all Siamesed on that head. Why not go one better than the guys with the V8s and V6s and have triple exhausts, instead of duals? Just run three 1 3/4" pipes, one bolted to each port, all the way back and out the passenger side right in front of the rear wheel? I bet it would be quiet enough even with out any mufflers on it.

Quick update on the Rambler, have finished descucification of the floor, had some minor surface rust which is being neutralized by POR-15 as we speak. The gas tank and radiator get dropped off tomorrow to be cleaned and rebuilt respectively. The head should be coming back from the shop next week along with a new gasket. Rebuilt the carburator on Thursday so hopefully it works (first one ever BTW). The factory seats actually have a pretty beefy frame and double locking sliders - looks like that will be a little money saver. Oh and I got tags for it - lucked out turns out it was in the evil California DMV system as non opped within the last few years and I even get to kepp the black and yellow license plates, which makes me happy! Still looks like it will be drivable in street trim to the Thunderhill race in about eight weeks.

It always amazes me how easy things are with the California DMV, but then I grew up in Connecticut & Massachusetts. They seem to get off on making stuff hard for you.

Parkwod60 wrote:

It always amazes me how easy things are with the California DMV, but then I grew up in Connecticut & Massachusetts. They seem to get off on making stuff hard for you.

I just go online, fill out every piece of paperwork I think I will need then go in with a stack and let them decide what they need to complete the transaction. I seem to have better luck and get through much faster that way. This is the first time I have bought a car that was on a bill of sale only and did not have a title, I was pretty scared. I bought a Mercedes for Brandon a couple of weeks ago and they wanted $350 from him just to get a title. I thought I was in for a $500+ bill and only had to pay $139 to transfer the title, bring registration current, and get my stickers. I found that to be a huge victory. Now I have a racecar that I can drive to the track - This makes me verry happy and definately makes things easier during the build process when needing to move the car from shop to shop.

Back registration fees is where California gets you. It boggles my mind that it is legal for them to charge you registration fees  for previous years without having to prove you were driving it on the public roads.

Joined the AMC forums and have started to locate some of the clutch linkage pieces that are missing. Starting to know way to much about Ramblers at this point. Hopefully some of the extra pieces in the trunk will make for some good trading material. Looks like I have made a trade for the drivers visor for my missing clutch linkage pieces. Should find out tomorrow. Trading is fun and keeps the cost down.

One disappointing thing I learned about these cars lies in the front suspension setup. Instead of ball joints it uses trunions (which I have never heard of until I bought the car), which each cost $300 (X4) to replace or have refurbished if they get jacked up, or if they are jacked up currently.

Looking for a good place to buy stainless brake lines if anyone has suggestions. I have to replace the rubber ones anyway.

Can we get the Rambler race ready by Dec. 7th?  Will we need a large red triangle on the back of the car? Will SBC headers actually fit a Rambler 6? So many questions, stay tuned for the exciting answers.

Panting Polar Bears, #58 Crown Vic, #78.5 Rambler, #76 Omega, #58 Camero

Paulie Lugnuts wrote:

Can we get the Rambler race ready by Dec. 7th?  Will we need a large red triangle on the back of the car? Will SBC headers actually fit a Rambler 6? So many questions, stay tuned for the exciting answers.

Yes, No and do you have a torch and a sawzall? Motorcycle junkyard headers may be a better starting point because typically the flange is loose. I made 3 individual flanges from 3 pieces of 1/4" steel with a hole saw and a wire feed welder. You can pie cut pipe and end up with 2 cross sections close enough to the same to butt weld. A motorcycle system typically bends 90 degrees out of the port, then another 90 to go under the motor. So you have lots of bends to play with if you cut it up.

49 (edited by Paulie Lugnuts 2013-07-27 12:17 PM)

I'm going to have to cut the flange off and reweld it at an angle, but its looking doable. Getting the bolt holes to line up was fairly easy, but there are challenges ahead.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg135/paulruggeri/Picture242_zps4f60661e.jpg

Panting Polar Bears, #58 Crown Vic, #78.5 Rambler, #76 Omega, #58 Camero

Cockpit descucification complete. Ready for race seat then cage.

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0122.jpg

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0123.jpg