Topic: Great race!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/05/Mystery_Machine-600px.jpg
The Goin' For Broken race was a lot of fun for all (except those teams who got totally hosed by our unfair anti-{insert name of car model your team runs here} BS Inspection policies and our arbitrary, chickenshit, and totally unwarranted penalties for alleged on-track offenses that those blind-ass corner workers hallucinated), with vast quantities of driver talent, nail-biting drama all the way to the last lap, and themes that left us staggering back in awe. I'm still expecting to see those dynamite-brandishing Spy Vs Spy guys- who apparently stayed in costume all weekend- popping around corners.

New Orleans racers, start gearing up; the bar has been raised!

2 (edited by X-args 2009-05-25 01:54 PM)

Re: Great race!

Yep, the judging was arbitrary and uneven. And completely expected. You gotta get in with the judges, for good or (mostly) for ill. They are in no way objective. But that IS what is says on the label, so to speak.
Bitching about it is pointless, better to figure out your own comedic revenge...

Quite a weekend- epic saves, epic fixes (our 3am trans swap overshadowed by a bunch of teams' heroic wrenching), and a great track.

I watched Jay doing standup for a local TV station and I was struck by how comfortable/insane he is with this crazy creation that is the 24Hours of Lemons.
I mean, c'mon- the fastest growing racing series in the country?
YOU BETCHA!

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

Yep, the judging was arbitrary and uneven. And completely expected

We actually have a pretty simple formula: the more often we see your car in the Penalty Box, the worse it's going to get for you. By the second day, if we're seeing you for the first time we'll probably just send you right back out. If we're seeing you for the fifth time, however... well, our job at that point is to keep the total menaces off the track for a good long time, while providing entertainment for the spectators who hang around the box to watch the show. That means recidivist miscreants might end up very publicly kissing the boot of Mistress World Talent Force:
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/05/Superhero_Foot_Sniff-600px.jpg

As for the guys who screamed at us about the other teams getting away with murder while they got popped for stuff that wasn't their fault: sure, the corner workers make mistakes and we have no way of knowing exactly what happened out there (all we get is a voice on a staticky walkie-talkie giving us a terse statement like "Car 84, four wheels off"), but it all tends to even out in the end. The best approach is one that doesn't involve screaming.

Well, as the team principle for WAAAGH! I can say without a doubt that every one of my team had an absolute blast. I can also say, that while the judging was arbitrary and harsh (as expected)... they never pegged us unfairly. Every time we ended up in the box (too often) it was because we screwed up on track. Once we got there... the punishments were pretty amusing. Mickey's in the passenger seat was just cruel though...

Thank you, all the judges, officials, and track workers. The weekend was fun from the moment we got there until long after we'd left, and we'd all love to come back and race with you again.

5 (edited by monkei 2009-05-25 03:44 PM)

Truly awesome event and venue!!! Even though we (team iwannaroc, lucky #13) only raced half the event, I personally had tons of fun and will be sore for the next week (oil pan and trans. mount repair/replace...).

Does anybody have a link to results??!

http://iwannaroc.blogspot.com
http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com

8 time Lemons loser!
Go team Faster Farms! [ http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com ]

Guys/gals, that was a blast!
We rookies at Team Pontihack started our wrenching after the green flag dropped and with a wrecking yard rad (last one in the yard!) True Value pipe fittings and bungees, got our evil-handling Fiero out there for the duration....and we were at least  fourth on the repair heroism index in our corner of the pits....the only question I have is, how can I enter the shorter track events after the drama of Reno-Fernley?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
Team Pontihack.....and the only Pontihack driver unpenalized/untouched all weekend...HINT Zac, Brian and Nik......

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

@murilee:
Oh don't get me wrong, having been both a racer and a cornerworker in a couple of disciplines now I can appreciate the spotty data you guys are getting at HQ. And clearly multiple visits equals nonlinear pain for the guilty.

As for the 'arbitrary and uneven' crack, it is that, simply for the reasons you gave above: some of these guys you've known for a while as LeMon racers, and you know that they're 95% innocent (as much as that's possible with any racers) so they might get less of a penalty the first time at least.

It's not a dig at your (in)competence, that's a given by now.

It takes an enormous amount of energy on you the judges' part to make the penalties original and amusing. I can say from personal experience that the penalties and their style/execution have gotten at least three of my acquaintances INTO joining the Lemons insanity.

2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

jimeditorial wrote:

with a wrecking yard rad (last one in the yard!) True Value pipe fittings and bungees

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2009/05/medium_3558988900_c80184d56d_o.jpg

I was a little concerned by their initial radiator setup (huge duct going through the hood to the radiator in the original front Fiero location), due to the high-pressure area that builds up on top of the hood, but these guys didn't waste any time rigging up what was almost certainly the most effective radiator placement of any car at the race. Well done!

Thanks M.M.! the parts we had forced this ugly setup...believe me we tried to find a better way! The rad was the ONLY rad in the yard (they sell them for the aluminum) and I have no idea what it's from...threw 30 bucks across the counter and ran out....I then went to the Fernley NAPA and asked for the longest, most convoluted hoses they had, forget the application....this took some explaining....then it was off to the True Value for PVC  irrigation fittings and hose clamps.....But I have to confess, the rad cap has a slightly less than honorable origin....if the guys at Speedway Wrecking read this, please accept my apology and I hope your pickup made it home O.K...... We started this thrash after the green dropped and joined the fray about 60 laps adrift....with serious overcooling, keeping the ECU in open loop, i.e. rich....A quick thermostat change (no tools required in these 2.8's) and it ran like a watch....you could feel the drag down the front straight! To be honest, I knew the bailing wire/tie wrap setup would work, but we added the bungees for window dressing to avoid the meatball....thanks for your indulgence! And if anybody reads this, consider taping bungee hooks like we did...many clubs require it and it keeps the tire killers from flying off on track.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Team Pontihack @ Goin for Broken 09

Jim "Endo" Anderton

10 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-05-25 09:03 PM)

jimeditorial wrote:

the parts we had forced this ugly setup...believe me we tried to find a better way! The rad was the ONLY rad in the yard

Probably 50 teams at the track had multiple spare radiators, and most of them are willing to share parts with teams in need (I know my ex-teammates on the Mustard Yellow V8olvo team always pack at least 3 spare Mercedes-Benz W126 radiators, and they'd have handed you one for whatever they paid at Pick Your Part). Don't hesitate to ask around for desperately needed parts, or to come to HQ and get us to put the word out.

Likewise, some teams come stacked with a bonanza of expert mechanics and fabricators (in stark contrast to the "all drive, no wrench" teams), and it's not a big challenge to recruit helpers for challenging fixes.

The thought occurred to us, but the wrecker was very close ("Speedway Wreckers") and we had hopes of finding something that would fit under the hood..when we called ahead he said "come on down...ya I think we got one"  etc...and we knew we were the only Fiero out there. If I had had a little less tunnel vision at the time I could have realized that ANY rad will do and put out a plaintive wail....pathetic as that would be compared to the heroes around us changing long blocks and transmissions! I don't think the 80's themed  5.0 Mustang ever made it out, but a dozen guys wrenched it non-stop right to the checkers and kept their sense of humor....it all adds to the feel-good atmosphere.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Team Pontihack @ Reno-Fernley 09

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Thanks M.M. for the comments. We had a blast at Reno. And I promise you haven't seen the last of Spy Vs. Spy. Were going to expand on the theme for the next two races. More Hyjinx,new cartoons and possibly The Grey Lady may show up. I'm putting up a standing order that I would throw in a little help and cash to anyone who would run a third 83 Rabbit (or better yet a Corrado) Under the Grey Lady theme. Ladies heres your chance! Thanks again and see you in August.

Thanks to Jay and all of the officials, also the Reno-Fernley staff and of course all of the racers and crews...This weekend was a blast!!! The redneck racing team will definitly be back.  We would have been glad to hook ya up with our spare caddy radiator, come see us next time!! Thanks againto EVERYONE!!! cya next year for sure. smile

Team Chevy High Performance had a BLAST.... for the 14 laps we were actually on the track. It sure looked good out there though. We'll be back, with a new headgasket and a set of rod bearings. Thanks to all involved with the whole event!

Thanks to all, especially those who helped us after our mechanical malfortune.

Team Unsafe had a tough weekend, first getting meatballed for leaking gas after we overfilled our tank.  At T-Hill the gas gauge read exactly half the actual value in the tank, this time around it was closer to 1/3rd.  Then we threw the fan belt, overheated, and threw a rod.  Frantic attempts to locate spare engines all turned up empty.  Our plan to remove the thrown rod and the corresponding rod on the other side also failed, a brief attempt at push-starting the engine had locked the crank solidly in the block.  Wouldn't move even with an impact gun.

We now have some leads on engines, so we hope to be back soon and better than ever.

ZZ Uber wrote:

I promise you haven't seen the last of Spy Vs. Spy. Were going to expand on the theme for the next two races. More Hyjinx,new cartoons and possibly The Grey Lady may show up.

Hey, you guys are famous now- your snouts are on the front page of BoingBoing!

Our team had a great time as well!  Thanks goes out to the track officials, course workers, judges, staff and to Jay.

See you at Buttonwillow!

Ditto....
Our team had a great time at the race, even though we spun two rod bearings during the test and tune session on Friday. We didn't even get the car on the track for the real race but we still had a great time meeting all the people that make Lemons what it is "FUN"
We came in last place with no laps but lots of memories.
Knights of the round track.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

I would like to repeat a speech (one of many) that I gave to a team that was just about to start bitching about the unfairness of us judges

"Look, the flaggers do this for a living -- this is how they pay rent. And you've been on a race track -- what? -- once? Twice? I'm going to side with the flaggers every time."

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I just saw the Boing Boing article. Classic! And I completely side with Judge Johnny about the Flaggers. I thought they did an excellant job. And would like to thank everyone at Fernley for doing such a good job babysitting us malcontents both on the track and off.

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

We came in last place with no laps but lots of memories. Knights of the round track.

No, you came in third from last, behind two cars that got massive BS Penalty laps... and the Yugo. By the way, great bribe!

MurileeMartin wrote:

We came in last place with no laps but lots of memories. Knights of the round track.

No, you came in third from last, behind two cars that got massive BS Penalty laps... and the Yugo. By the way, great bribe!

We had a great time going in front of the Judges.
We had planned to stay in costume for the race but we were sooo... bummed about the motor thingy we blew it off. Enjoy the Shrubbery and thanks again for the great time.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

we were sooo... bummed about the motor thingy we blew it off.

When your car seems dead, come to HQ and get us to spread the word that you need parts and/or wrenching help. With an MR2, odds are that someone had the expertise, parts, and willingness to help get you back in the race. Doesn't matter if your engine is dangling rods out the block- there's always a way (especially when you have a very common car that shares parts with a bunch of other common cars).

24 (edited by X-args 2009-05-26 11:58 AM)

It was a great race, no sleep for the wicked. The Super Turbine 300 2-speed auto turned out to be about as fast as the TH-350 three speed, and hey- only 2 shifts per lap! We're scrounging a 4-barrel intake for that Buick 300- it was calculated that maybe 90hp was making it to the ground with 3000 lb of vintage iron to haul around

We took our lumps same as anyone, the '40 (oz) on the Floor' penalty definitely reminded me of Oakland.  Another byproduct of a first time Lemons real racerguy™ thinking that the traffic would behave rationally- then when given the 'dirt or t-bone' choice, took to the dirt. You can still go fast at a Lemons race, just be hyper-aware of anyone near you.

In the early stages of the race the Mystery Machine was being driven pretty erratically yikes , but they soon figured it out and were only a mild concern to followers by the end... The Panda BMW had at least one overly amped driver, (it's pretty hard to carve up anything as big as a Buick, but they did it) they were our (half-hearted) Curse choice, but then we lost the form before the deadline.

And the Curse went down wonderfully, with the end of the Penalty Bus (though I shudder at its replacement) and the added bonus of sparking a vintage VW 'you guys have lost all credibility with me!' fanboy Internet Argument™ in these forums.

I am still penalty free after 7 Lemons races. Clearly I am not trying hard enough.

2/25/24

25 (edited by Steve W 2009-05-26 03:39 PM)

We at B-Team had a great race, and achieved everything we wanted to do. Most importantly, every team mate got a drive. We had put a lot of effort into the car, particularly the electrics, in the hope of avoiding the curse of the e30s, and it seemed to pay off.

Pit stops were fun. Maybe we should have practiced them.

At the end of Saturday we found ourselves dicing with Formula BMW for 6-7 laps, then, coming down the main straight, a CRX came out of the pits in front of us but about 30mph slower. We both saw our chance....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3337/3558126491_45e7bb922e_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3388/3558936684_a2c87925b8_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/3558126815_f466c23cd4_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3634/3558936850_e0c9f8cd25_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3616/3558126921_ce4c54408d_o.jpg

Sorry Carpet Pissers (26) you totally didn't deserve that black flag.

Chotus! Chotus! Chotus! Chotus!