101

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Wendell34 wrote:
NSF wrote:

K and the Checker are in Vegas!

Take the K to the El Cortez and bet it on black. The El Cortez is one of the few places left in Vegas where you can do that I bet. If you lose, they keep the K. If you win you'll probably get, like, 50 bucks or something.



That may be the best idea ever!

This space for rent.

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

This will go down all time in the anals , uh I meant annals of Lemons  Lore. Homerian Epic. Special K. Hmm, who  will play Phil in the movie? Woody Allen or Vin Diesel?

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Wendell34 wrote:
NSF wrote:

K and the Checker are in Vegas!

Take the K to the El Cortez and bet it on black. The El Cortez is one of the few places left in Vegas where you can do that I bet. If you lose, they keep the K. If you win you'll probably want to let them keep the K anyway.

FTFY

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP. NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB,16GM...

104

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Looks like they're stopped near Barstow now. I'd guess it's a McDonalds from the satellite photo. I'm wondering if they're taking 58 over the Tehachapi pass or going 15 through LA and then northbound.

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Hwy 58

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

According to the FB page, they are both taking a nap in the McDonald's parking lot near Barstow while waiting for the emergency backup driver to meet up with them. 6.5 hours to Sonoma, driver's meeting at 11:30 AM. Plenty of time!

Command Pilot/Flight Director, Escape Velocity Racing
Index of Effluency, Heroic Fix, Class C Trophy, now hopelessly gunning for Class B.
Currently 1-2 vs. Team Fairlylame in the Class of 1964 Championships

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Looks like that turned into a motel 6 off of 5

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

This is how the epic saga of the K was meant to end.  This is how the final trip to the track was destined to play out.  Icing.  Cake.  Legendary.

Two years ago, I thought Spank had beaten Lemons and nothing could top his insane trek for the year ender in Florida.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

That was a epic feat by itself, it likely would have reappeared if it were not such a odd bird with no spares available or understanding of how it works, the K is so easy to shop for it has lured many into thinking it was a good idea.. Kudos to Spank and all the K crew(s)

Wonder if it can make it to Fl for Sebring?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Looks like they made it. What time did they arrive?

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Ricky Louder wrote:

Looks like they made it. What time did they arrive?

As you were posting, they were pulling in.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Outstanding. heading up that way myself shortly.

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Why, oh why, has the tracking been turned off?  I was hoping for a HUGE purple scribble across that acreage by now.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Good seeing you guys there. You were in the pits when we arrived but we cheered when you made it back out. Bummer that the truck had to push you off again but laps were made nonetheless. Major :thumbsup: for the effort. Hopefully you'll be back out tomorrow.

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

See, if it'd have been coated in glitter, it would have arrived on time!

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

It was on time. Before the race starts is on time. We just took longer than the allowed 10 minutes to unload,  repair and tech it.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

EyeMWing wrote:

It was on time. Before the race starts is on time. We just took longer than the allowed 10 minutes to unload,  repair and tech it.

!!!

Congrats. Glad to see it lives on, too.

BTW, it still needs to be coated in glitter.

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Who was driving the K in the last hour?

After a fascinating year of watching this car go back and forth, including watching it run (and not run) at a few venues out here, it all seemed to come together in the last hour.  That thing was hauling a$$!

Where is the K now, and where is it going next?

Well done!

bs

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

bshorey wrote:

Who was driving the K in the last hour?

After a fascinating year of watching this car go back and forth, including watching it run (and not run) at a few venues out here, it all seemed to come together in the last hour.  That thing was hauling a$$!

Where is the K now, and where is it going next?

Well done!

bs

Speedycop was in for a few laps.  Steve was in it for part of that hour I think. And possibly Mike. The hotshoes. I turned my fastest laps of the weekend in the K on Sunday. And it was the fast K lap at that point. 2:18. Mike got a 2:15 later. Brandon did 2:17 or something. That thing was awesome on Sunday. Steve has had the most success getting that car right. Whatever he has done to it should be left alone. There are other things to address but he has her figured out.
And where is it now?
One word...
Overzet.

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

I just got home from this adventure. I have to work in the morning, so I don't have time to collect things for a coherent summary post, but:
1) Sonoma is the best track I have ever driven. 30 minutes (27 of them under full course yellow) told me that much. I shall return.
2) The K is the best alleged racecar I have ever driven. I love it.
3) The K is the worst alleged racecar I have ever driven. I hate it.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

121 (edited by autoxmike 2013-12-10 10:49 AM)

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

Wendell34 wrote:
bshorey wrote:

Who was driving the K in the last hour?

After a fascinating year of watching this car go back and forth, including watching it run (and not run) at a few venues out here, it all seemed to come together in the last hour.  That thing was hauling a$$!

Where is the K now, and where is it going next?

Well done!

bs

Speedycop was in for a few laps.  Steve was in it for part of that hour I think. And possibly Mike. The hotshoes. I turned my fastest laps of the weekend in the K on Sunday. And it was the fast K lap at that point. 2:18. Mike got a 2:15 later. Brandon did 2:17 or something. That thing was awesome on Sunday. Steve has had the most success getting that car right. Whatever he has done to it should be left alone. There are other things to address but he has her figured out.
And where is it now?
One word...
Overzet.


That may have been me. After the 7 days of hell getting it from Chicago to Sonoma I swore I wasn't going to race it - but I could not resist flogging it for a few laps.  DC Doug told me I ran a bunch of 2:15's.  There was more time in the car as the clutch cable broke early in the stint so turned those times with the K stuck in 3rd gear. I bet there was a 2:13 or maybe a 2:12 with a full gearbox.  Someone should seriously make that car reliable, fix the pushy handling, and put on decent brake pads.  It could do well IMHO.

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

122 (edited by autoxmike 2013-12-10 10:42 AM)

Re: Super K Chicago to Sonoma

I plan to write up a "trip report". The K doesn't have an odometer, but Google maps and some math comes up with 2800 miles where I was best buddies with the K. Even after it tried to kill me many times over.

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"