Re: Real Hoopties of NJ 2014 - Who's in?

fairgentleman Z wrote:

Hey bros I also come to this thread armed with two questions:

1. What's the deal with garages, are they available yet? 

2. Are tanning beds available in the paddock or are they just in the clubhouse for members only?

Bonus question:

BQ1. How much was Friday practice last year?

We rented our garage directly from the track a month ago.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

How much are the garage rentals?

Black Gold/Sex Panther Racing: '79 Datsun 280ZX
Dirty Penny Racing: Rustyass Datsun 210.

Friday through Sunday was $171 per one car bay, so twice that for a whole double wide space.  They can be reserved on the track's website.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

skivittlerjimb wrote:

More importantly, will Judge Shawn be coming to NJ again, and who's camper is he going to crash in on Saturday night?

You'll be at the mercy of Judge Matt (and Phil, of course) this time.

-M

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

^ Bring top shelf bourbon if you want any mercy from that guy.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

81 (edited by spencer.cookson 2014-04-01 10:20 AM)

Back to Work is in with our fourth number in seven races. This time we're going to be #88 with a Group 44 theme. If we can get our blower spinning the correct direction without eating itself, we'll be running the only GM supercharged '88 Prelude in existence. It'll probably disintegrate on the first lap since we've spent zero hours testing. Good times.

Boosh.

SlowSwedes Racing is in! When does everybody show up? Do they allow admission on Thurday night or is it strictly Friday morning?

SlowSwedes Racing  Volvo #244

Last year I and many others were there Thursday night.  Gates closed at 11pm IIRC.  Most of my team are planning to be there again Thursday night this year.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

Dear god, 1 month.

After NJMP last year I pulled the transmission, put it in the corner and sort of hoped it would rebuild itself.

It hasn't yet.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Are there any details available on the test day?

Black Gold/Sex Panther Racing: '79 Datsun 280ZX
Dirty Penny Racing: Rustyass Datsun 210.

I got this email from the track when I inquired about the fees for Friday:

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been chasing this a bit. The fees are still being finalized, but will be posted (along with registration) on MotorsportReg.com in the next week or so: http://newjerseymotorsportspark.motorsportreg.com/ 

Stay tuned, and don’t hesitate to send me a note with additional questions.

Hope to see you out for the test day and Lemons weekend!

Chris Banker
Manager of Communications
New Jersey Motorsports Park
47 Warbird Drive
GPS: 8000 Dividing Creek Road
Millville, NJ 08332
Ofc: 856-327-7208

As of lunch time today there was no info on this website about Friday.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I have a suggestion / request about the Test Day. At some tracks (NHMS, Shenandoah, Monticello etc.) we have been allowed to mount a proper race seat into my Alfa with a set of belts and strap in a passenger for the test day. The passenger is decked out in safety gear as good or better than the driver. We even have a HANS device on the shotgun.

I was out of town last year for the NJMP weekend but my team and some good friends ran my car there. (Flywheel shattered and created a lot of collateral damage-- another story) So the powers that be at NJMP did not allow ride alongs.

So in a nutshell here is why I think putting your drivers into a second seat is a GREAT idea. All the drivers get double the time to familiarize themselves with the track. No nasty surprises on race day. They know pit in and pit out better. They can discuss and learn where the safe passes can be made. ( Or not made) Trouble spots can be identified and everyone can learn where to avoid contact and where hanging back and giving some space is a good idea. Cars with "unique" challenges like the need to double clutch all downshifts on my Alfa can have an experienced driver show a newbie how not to explode the transaxle. And yes, it can make you and your team faster as well.

I think the 2 up test day makes it a safer race.

Lastly the ride along gives an opportunity to give someone on your crew or your family to get a taste of what Lemons is like. I have some friends who have put in a  lot of sweat equity developing my car (Angelina) that I can pay back a small measure of their work with this small thing.

Some tracks have required us to pay for the passenger as we would a driver. If we don't have to all the better but if we do I would still do it.

So when you contact the track WRT to the test day let them know you would prefer passengers on the test day. Or not.

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

I agree Greg.  Another benefit is to provide instruction, and improving the quality of the driving makes everyone safer on race day.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sonic wrote:

I agree Greg.  Another benefit is to provide instruction, and improving the quality of the driving makes everyone safer on race day.

Too bad the Rolls is gone.  You could have offered romantic chauffered test day track tours for couples.  Or for single guys and that surprized-looking blow up doll you had in there.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Clarification question since I've never been to NJ. I"ve heard a rumor that testing day belt requirements are different from Lemons requirements? Can someone confirm and clarify? I think we're paying for one driver to test so that my sister can learn the daytona on friday. Need to make sure we'll be legal.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Well, the NJ State Police actually have a law that belts in race cars need to be less than 2 years old.  So, if a member of the NJ State Police happened to show up and want to check and want to enforce the law, they could prevent you from racing. 

That being said, I've never heard of anyone ever having a problem related to out of date belts at any of the events we do.  Worst case, I'm sure you could find some newer date belts to borrow, or there is a decent safety equipment store there at the track.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Allowing passengers on practice days is a great idea.

Sounds like I might be grabbing a new set of belts just in case. Also seeing if it's possible to get a passenger seat in the daytona. That might be a stretch goal though.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I am trying to work a deal with a local speed shop to bring several sets along, just in case it becomes an issue.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Just so that everyone knows, you are allowed to run belts that are up to 5 years old in New Jersey, provided that they are FIA certified.  SFI belts are only good for 2 years, per NJ state regulations.  See below:

(c) All vehicles (except motorcycles) participating in
racing, racing event practice, qualifying or testing shall require
a minimum of a five-point safety belt for each occupant
meeting one of the following standards:
1. SFI 16.1 or SFI 16.5, incorporated herein by
reference and available at http://www. sfifoundation.com,
seat belts shall be valid until December 31st of the second
year after the date of manufacture punched or indicated on
the SFI tag. There shall be one original tag attached to one
of the two shoulder belts, one original tag attached to one
of the lap belts and a third original tag attached to the
crotch belt.
2. FIA 8853, incorporated herein by reference and
available at http://www.fia.com/sport/
Regulations/standregs.html, seat belts shall be valid for
five years from the year of manufacture. Belts are
stamped or printed with an expiration year. FIA seat belts
expire on December 31 of the year printed or stamped on
the FIA tag. FIA tags are located on each leg of the
shoulder belt and lap belt, and on one leg of the crotch
strap.

Here's the link to the regulations:  http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/racing_regulations.pdf

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

piper.gras wrote:

Just so that everyone knows, you are allowed to run belts that are up to 5 years old in New Jersey, provided that they are FIA certified.  SFI belts are only good for 2 years, per NJ state regulations.  See below:

(c) All vehicles (except motorcycles) participating in
racing, racing event practice, qualifying or testing shall require
a minimum of a five-point safety belt for each occupant
meeting one of the following standards:

This is what I must have been hearing. I know my belts are SFI only. So the question is does this override Lemon's rules that say SFI belts can be 5 years? I'm sure the answer been covered in the past, but this is my first Jersey race.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I would say it's a safe bet to assume that the NJ state regulations would override the Lemons rule that says you can use SFI belts for 5 years.

That being said, I've been to all three races that have been held at NJMP, and have never seen or heard of anyone being hassled about belts.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

piper.gras wrote:

I would say it's a safe bet to assume that the NJ state regulations would override the Lemons rule that says you can use SFI belts for 5 years.

That being said, I've been to all three races that have been held at NJMP, and have never seen or heard of anyone being hassled about belts.

/agree

The state rules override Lemons. We have never had a problem with the State Police checking them but one never knows.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:
piper.gras wrote:

/agree

The state rules override Lemons. We have never had a problem with the State Police checking them but one never knows.

This is a good enough answer for me. I'll grab a new set just to be safe. Thanks.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Ours are expired by state standards, but good that you pointed that out as I will make sure our replacements are FIA.

Yeah you could risk it, but our luck, the day we risk it is the day NJSP actually decides to show up.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners