Topic: Journalist looking to write a story/help a team/drive if wanted

Hi, my name is Daniel. I am journalist from Benicia, just a few miles from Sonoma Raceway, and I am hoping to find a few teams that I can cover for a news story in a paper.
As part of covering those teams I would like to take part in as much of the sport as possible so i would be willing to do mechanical work/problem solving, helping the team with general stuff ( getting supplies, cooking, moving stuff, grunt work, ect. ) and driving if at all doable.
I do have some basic knowledge of auto maintenance and building ( rebuilt two go-karts, helped build a 1965 Pontiac GP 421ci, replaced an alternator on a 1989 corvette, just stuff hear and there ) so I wouldn't be completely dead weight =P . I am looking for two or three teams to get to know. Open to suggestions and advice as well.

Thank you for the help!

Re: Journalist looking to write a story/help a team/drive if wanted

Your a week too late ! The database closd like last week . So if you did find a team it would be $200 to lemons for entry and $50 for lemons license .  I'm running 4 cars at this race . Look for the Subaru wagon with 500 lemons stickers on it and Lemons logo on roof . I've been racing this since 07 .
I've had numerous tv and media guys in my cars .
Mat Farah
Dan Neil
Adam Carolla
Jessi Combs

G4
Car Show on Speed.
Some mtv guys

Give me a call

Get a hold of nick Pon he could help you with

Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,LemonDemoCRX,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 dualley LEMONS LOGO TATTOO! 
Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER finally!
Fabrication Required Transport 925-382-1058 I move Lemons and build cage
EX K Captain at The Ridge and now til it burns to ground

If time allows, show up at the track on Friday to scope out the 'competitors' and watch the teams go through tech - that'll give you an idea for how the whole deal starts (or doesn't. . .)

-Jeff

I'm sure you can get lots of teams to let you help, but like Fabtoys said, no one is just going to "let" you drive. You're going to have to pay HQ $200 driver entry fee and another $50 one time at the track license fee. But do that and I'm sure plenty of the teams that aren't in contention for a win will let you have a go for like 30 minutes or so toward the end of the day when everyone is tired and more interested in eating & drinking than driving & wrenching.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

PM me. There's a Team in Benicia who's Looking for crew/ future drivers AFTER you cut your teeth.

New York Rock Exchange Team's first race: ArseFreeze 2007. Finally got to drive: Altamont '08
Cars: '96 Saturn, Prelude, 91-93 SE-R's, '84 Rabbit, '87 Scirocco, '01 Focus
Championships: 2009
Races: Too Many to count

6 (edited by DangerDan 2014-03-15 04:18 PM)

Already talked to Nick and he has me on the participant list so all I have to do is show up and give them my name. He said i can't join a team in any official way but can do all the same things and help out any team that wants me. Whats the name of the team from Benicia? Also, since this would be my first time and i have no idea what im doing, what sort of stuff should i bring to stay the night at the track and keep fellow team mates happy?

"What sort of stuff should I bring to stay the night at the track and keep fellow team mates happy?"
Beer
and
Bacon

Arse Sweat  2012..Blowed Up..T-Hill Vodden the Hell 2012..Blowed Up..Chuckwalla ArseFreeze 2012..I.O.E.!!!  SearsPointless 2013..120/177.. ButtTurrible 2013..86/160..T-Hill Vodden the Hell 2013..90/184  Sears Pointless 2014..125/167..Miller Return of the Lemonites 2014..46/68.. ButtTurrible 2014...Blowed Up..T-Hill Vodden the Hell 2014..71/228
(Still a Class C driver in a Class B car)

DangerDan wrote:

Already talked to Nick and he has me on the participant list so all I have to do is show up and give them my name. He said i can't join a team in any official way but can do all the same things and help out any team that wants me. Whats the name of the team from Benicia? Also, since this would be my first time and i have no idea what im doing, what sort of stuff should i bring to stay the night at the track and keep fellow team mates happy?

Bring three of these:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=25867

You'll be welcomed by pretty much any of us perverts.

bs

9 (edited by fleming95 2014-03-15 09:57 PM)

BigBird wrote:

"What sort of stuff should I bring to stay the night at the track and keep fellow team mates happy?"
Beer
and
Bacon

And bourbon.  (Or rye if you prefer!)

Adding a _bit_ of seriousness, if you're the 'in for a penny, in for a pound' kinda guy, bring along the tools you're comfortable with, find a team with a car you have some notion of, and ask what you can do to help.  That'll get ya over the hump. 

If I may ask, who are you writing for?

Also know that it can get cold and wet at night at the track, so bring warm clothes and a waterproof jacket, even though there is no rain in the forecast.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

I personally write for the PAW, which is a high school news paper. But if I get a chance to cover the team from Benicia then I am sending this article to the Benicia Hearld, which my adviser works for. And I will also send the article to Benicia Magazine, who is a client of mine.

so far what i have for things that I need to bring is:
a kidnapped Chinese metal chick
bacon
alcohol
bacon and alcohol
tools
warm clothing
and a willingness work

What i have already:
a crappy array of tools
work gloves
warm cloths
not enough bacon
a willingness to work

I'd shot you a pm but got no response.

I suppose I should ask so that we're all clear, are you a minor? will you have adult supervision/permission/waiver?

13 (edited by DangerDan 2014-03-17 09:07 PM)

Yea I am 18. Did the PM not work?

Spank wrote:

I suppose I should ask so that we're all clear, are you a minor?\

Have you been burned by this in the past? lol

24 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

TeamPettyCash wrote:
Spank wrote:

I suppose I should ask so that we're all clear, are you a minor?\

Have you been burned by this in the past? lol

http://blakesnow.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/10/url-1.gif

Eric
Contributor at www.hooniverse.com
"Like" my page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheRustyHub
Follow me on Twitter: @the_rusty_hub

Would someone like to tell the story of how this ended up for those not at the race?

Wendell34 wrote:

Would someone like to tell the story of how this ended up for those not at the race?

I'll sum it up based on what Jay stated during the awards ceremony.

Team brings back to life a classic Mustang old school vintage Mustang, allows DangerDan to drive it so he has something to write for his high school newspaper, DangerDan wrecks it either first thing Saturday or on practice Friday, team wrenches on their sentimentally valued car all weekend only to get passed by the slowest thing on the track during the last few moments of the race, Race Rambler!

I got screwed is definitely deserved for these guys!

2010 Arse-Sweat, Arse-Freeze, 2011 Sears Pointless, Arse-Sweat, Skankaway, Arse-Freeze, 2012 Sears Pointless, Arse-Sweat, Vodden, 2013 Sears Pointless, 10X Loser now!, Even More Pointless, Button Turrible, Vodden, Arse Freeze B Class winner!, 2014 Nasa Sprint, Sears Pointless 2014 IOE WINNER!

cdickman12 wrote:
Wendell34 wrote:

I'll sum it up based on what Jay stated during the awards ceremony.

Team brings back to life a classic Mustang old school vintage Mustang, allows DangerDan to drive it so he has something to write for his high school newspaper, DangerDan wrecks it either first thing Saturday or on practice Friday, team wrenches on their sentimentally valued car all weekend only to get passed by the slowest thing on the track during the last few moments of the race, Race Rambler!

I got screwed is definitely deserved for these guys!

All above is true based on what I heard from Dan on Saturday, but I did happen to notice something about said Stang while standing next to it...

No exterior mirrors is probably not a good configuration for a rank amateur to drive in Pointless traffic, I'd say...

Technical support for Team Audi Style Racing '82 Audi Coupe #820 IOE Winner... Super Snipe- Team Tinworm
OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140:
Chuckwalla '12 Sears Pointless '13+More Pointless too BW '13 Pointless '14 Lemonites '14 (top 20!)
(Class C driver of a Class B car. Oh wait, Make that a class A car. Mmmmmmkay...)

I wager this is the last you'll see of Danger Dan!

2008- 2010:  1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
2010-present:  1975 Ford LTD Landau...doesn't have a name?

mechimike wrote:

I wager this is the last you'll see of Danger Dan!

Methinks there hasn't been anyone as aptly named since Anthony Wiener.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Danger Dan had better send us a copy of whatever he writes about this experience.

At least Dan's all right (presumably), so he'll be able to write his article (at gunpoint or otherwise).

mharrell: Yeah, SAABs are like that.

Sounds like it will be a short article:
"I showed up, crashed the car and left."  The end.

Jim C.
Muttonheads!, nee Focke-eWe190 85-87-88-97-99 GTDI
People wonder why I'm obsessed with cars.  I wonder why they are not.
08TMS45/52.09NL78/122.10GM16/51.10SP17/86.10NL3/13.11SP16/102.11NL28/74.12SP20/117.12VIR25/108.12NL12/47.13GM41/68.13NJ24/139

Lets see if he browses back by.

The latest stats are:

DangerDan
    Rookie Driver

fabtoys wrote:

Your a week too late ! The database closd like last week . So if you did find a team it would be $200 to lemons for entry and $50 for lemons license .  I'm running 4 cars at this race . Look for the Subaru wagon with 500 lemons stickers on it and Lemons logo on roof . I've been racing this since 07 .
I've had numerous tv and media guys in my cars .
Mat Farah
Dan Neil
Adam Carolla
Jessi Combs

G4
Car Show on Speed.
Some mtv guys

Give me a call

Get a hold of nick Pon he could help you with

*jealous*

5 grand for the seat Jesse Combs was in! Lol