Topic: Dominion Raceway

So if Summitt point is out of the picture from now on...what are the chances of us getting on dominion raceway. I would like to see a push for that track. Right off 95 in Virginia and opens in 2014. 2 mile road course..the layout reminds me of NJ.

Re: Dominion Raceway

Yes please.  The joys of both Richmond and Fredericksburg are in easy reach.  There's an RV center RIGHT THERE (http://www.saffordrv.com/).  Atkisson is down the same road and will sell you a proper Lemons tow/haul rig. http://media.sandhills.com/img.axd?id=109304050&wid=TRK&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=SHP+&lp=TRK&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&checksum=qO3%2fkGbJBWiuQT4Q5Zq9OxW1OVYEPQnpilz1WlMbI53WibUeRCOfGRQ7Ylie6w3g%2fgJJsWEYisB896NjcCldSIGklkiCkXbUtPv5OFJN7u%2bzZTiLbCfvXCSoynvPc%2fLH

Yes, I know they don't usually have anything that cool.  But I had to post that, because flathead.

I'd love to have a race that wasn't 8 hours towing

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

I can't get the course maps to load, where did you find them?

http://i.imgur.com/ZqN0zVH.jpg

Track layout..reminds me of NJMP

We would make the haul if we could have tractor races on the oval in the center while we race on the road course.  smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Coming from Virginia Beach, this would be great. It looks even closer than VIR.

Key Lemon Racing #963
Haze Gray and Underway Wagovan

From the graphic I guesstimate the front straight at 3200' coming off a manageable right from the straight after the horseshoe.  Looks like the V8 guys could have some fun there.

Under an hour from my house/an hour twenty from speedycop's.......

This has so much bad news written all over it....

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

Their website now says "Booking Road Course Events!"

Plus, there's a drive-in theater!  I wonder if they will accept requests for movies from the organizers...

What should they play on Friday/Saturday night?

Friday: Talladega Nights.  Shake 'n' Bake!

Saturday: Death Race 2000, to put the day's carnage in perspective

Yea, I emailed Jay about it a few months ago...I sent him an FYI letting him know events have started getting booked.

I looked up the location on Google Earth and it is still showing thousands of trees. How often do they update satellite images?

About every 2 years

From their website:
Dominion Raceway’s Road Course is 2 miles in length. The Road Course is a minimum of 36’ wide and includes some banked turns and topography to make the course exciting.

DR’s Road Course includes a straight stretch measuring approximately 3,000’ that ends with a long sweeping left hander. That turn is nick-named the Po after the Po River which runs along that stretch of the Road Course.

Dominion Raceway’s design includes sweeping turns (a total of 12 turns) and 70’ of elevation change. The track provides numerous passing zones and terrific visibility.

A fully paved paddock area with self-service fuel, a beautiful clubhouse with full bar and lounge and showers for overnight stays. Site electric hook ups in the paddock areas are also available.

DR’s Road Course runs clockwise.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

It needs more grass paddock area.

I don't like the karting track being part of the road course...if my kids come with me to race weekend its nice if they can go do some karting while i'm driving.

Looks like a great option to me. Give the mid-atlantic / Carolinas crowd another race. It'd be very easy to get 80-90 cars to show up there, I bet.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

It would be fun to do a Lemons Triathlon there on some sort of index. Part road race, part short oval, part drags.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

FJ40Jim wrote:

From their website:
Dominion Raceway’s Road Course is 2 miles in length. The Road Course is a minimum of 36’ wide and includes some banked turns and topography to make the course exciting.

DR’s Road Course includes a straight stretch measuring approximately 3,000’ that ends with a long sweeping left hander. That turn is nick-named the Po after the Po River which runs along that stretch of the Road Course.

Dominion Raceway’s design includes sweeping turns (a total of 12 turns) and 70’ of elevation change. The track provides numerous passing zones and terrific visibility.

A fully paved paddock area with self-service fuel, a beautiful clubhouse with full bar and lounge and showers for overnight stays. Site electric hook ups in the paddock areas are also available.

DR’s Road Course runs clockwise.

Am I on drugs or are they (well, I should be, but that is a different argument)?  How can they run clockwise AND have a "long sweeping left hander" at the end of the 3000' straight stretch?

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Point well made Rob... But its Virgina. They can do many wonderful things there, that us Yankees just don't understand... Either way, I'd be in.... Once I find pistons for the rebuild of the Cortina's motor...

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

20 (edited by EriktheAwful 2014-06-08 05:18 PM)

If you're upside-down, it you can run it clockwise from your perspective and it'll be a left turn to the normal perspective. I believe there is a car local to the track that can achieve this, and it's obviously what they're referring to.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LNJ13/IMG_8961.jpg

21 (edited by zRacer70 2015-11-28 07:14 PM)

Another vote for Dominion.  Summit point is a giant hole in my racing heart.  The carrousel was sooo much fun!

Dominion is laying down asphalt.   Looks like they will open in 2016.   They are already scheduling practices for the oval track.  Progress is being made on the facilities. - check out their facebook page.
I vote for a Lemons race there.

Winner, Class C (The Ugly) #40 Mock Grass Racing (1998 Kia Sephia, Columbia SC)
#55 The Four Lemigos. aka #56 Run Fordest Run -  1995 Mustang (Owner, operator, financer, sucker - self inflicted)

Bkg52 wrote:

Dominion is laying down asphalt.   Looks like they will open in 2016.   They are already scheduling practices for the oval track.  Progress is being made on the facilities. - check out their facebook page.
I vote for a Lemons race there.

I am eagerly awaiting the "free practice" like they had for the oval.  Heck, I was considering taking my car to the oval practice.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Looks like the track is ready, but the landscaping leaves something to be desired.  Here's a link to a video of one lap around the road course:

http://www.thedriversclubatdr.com/

Looks like a blast!  Both of my cars would show up, close enough to Philly area where it shouldn't be too hard to recruit drivers.  Looks like there is still a fair amount of work to do and some potential clearance issues for very tall theme ideas.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix