Topic: Polaris slingshot, first massively produced track weapon

I saw the announcement for this car earlier this week, and I was curious if anyone would think this thing would make an affordable alternative to the ariel atom, KTM Crossbow,  Deronda , etc or is it just a fugly toy for guys too afraid to ride a motorcycle, IE like the can-am spyder?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/27/20 … fications/

On the surface it looks pretty sweet,  20,000 MSRP, 170 HP, 1700 pounds, and no smog tests, no NHTSA crash requirements, no CAFE fleet standards etc.
By making a trike polaris can skirt many of the emissions and safety standards.

I even wonder if the aftermarket would be tempted to make some sort of 4 wheel conversion to make it a bonafide track car.

Re: Polaris slingshot, first massively produced track weapon

I've always wanted to ride a Spyder.  I don't know that I'd own one, but I think they'd be fun as hell to ride.  My wife and I both have our M-Class and she never really took to riding a bike as she felt too unprotected.  There is a bit more material around a Spyder.

The side-by-side aspect of the Slingshot is pretty cool.  A little more car-like. Dunno.  The Ecotec already has a large aftermarket smile

Dave G
Canadian Border Patrol

I wonder if tracks would even let it run as-is with only three wheels.. seems like it wouldn't fit in any motorcycle or car classes and might have to add rollover protection and a windscreen to run with cars.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

that's a concern too, I mean it's no less safe than a lotus 7 and or clone.   

The spyder is fun if your into it's quirkyness I've ridden it, and it was plush and very easy to pick up,   but the traction control took all of the fun out of it,  you can't turn it off or turn it down and the second you try to goose it out of a corner, or get the back end to step out the traction control cuts the power down to a crawl.

theinvictus1 wrote:

...or is it just a fugly toy for guys too afraid to ride a motorcycle, IE like the can-am spyder?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3550/5733681301_89a874e566.jpg

Personally I'd say all those other three-wheelers are for people too afraid to go out in traffic* with only twelve horsepower.

*Yes, I take my Freeway on the freeway, too.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

looks like a crossbow

Tanom TR-3

Hayabusa engine 194 hp
1040lb dry, call it 1400 wet w/driver

Ok, a bit spendy at $52k

http://tanommotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Tanom-Invader-TR-3-1024x756.jpg

http://tanommotors.com/tr-3/

yea the campagna T-rex is pretty crazy,     

I was thinking of the slingshot as a cheap alternative to a ariel atom or ktm Crossbow,  at 1/3 the price, and 2/3 the power it seems like an option.  But I guess whether it will be allowed at the typical track day is an unknown.

You need the traction control on a Spyder. Without it you'd be able to pull enough Gs to literally eject yourself from on top of it.

I love this new Polaris, but they need to fire whomever is their advertising people. They barely do any advertising, but their intro web site for the sling shot is all sorts of annoying. And then there is the script for the video (which repeats, and repeats, how it rings in my ear). Its full of "Xtreme" sounding stuff, but it all sounds something like "The Slingshot is like having sex with a bullet train!" some actual quotes: Its like surfing asphalt! Its like playing chicken with a hurricane! it puts the road right in the cockpit with you, it grabs you by the seat on every turn. You'll feel the rush of pavement in your chest as you charge every turn.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

...it puts the road right in the cockpit with you....

Yeah, I've also had vehicles with rusted-out floors.  I wouldn't call it a feature.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I went on a 15 minute rant to a coworker when we watched the promotional videos.... They are horrible, and are offputting to any enthusiast.

The advertisements did everything but shout " it'll get you laid" at high volume to pumping techno music.

They also tout features that A. is unimportnat such as "the back up camera", and "Bluetooth"  or B.  dumfounding as to the actual performance implications.  2 videos tout that it has an amazing piece of technology a " sway bar",   of course that damn thing has a sway bar, so does every other multi track vehicle made in the last 50 years.

all of that aside, I think I want one,  I had to give up my track day motorcycle due to some incredible close calls, and I need something to fill the niche that at least "feels" marginally less death coffin'y

12 (edited by MikeZilla 2014-08-02 12:30 PM)

I like it! I also liked the VW GX3, which had less hp @ a lower projected price point ...
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/04/vw-g … s-release/

To bad  VW didn't have the guts to bring it to market .

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

theinvictus1 wrote:

I went on a 15 minute rant to a coworker when we watched the promotional videos.... They are horrible, and are offputting to any enthusiast.

The advertisements did everything but shout " it'll get you laid" at high volume to pumping techno music.

They also tout features that A. is unimportnat such as "the back up camera", and "Bluetooth"  or B.  dumfounding as to the actual performance implications.  2 videos tout that it has an amazing piece of technology a " sway bar",   of course that damn thing has a sway bar, so does every other multi track vehicle made in the last 50 years.

all of that aside, I think I want one,  I had to give up my track day motorcycle due to some incredible close calls, and I need something to fill the niche that at least "feels" marginally less death coffin'y

They also felt the need to shout at us that its got a 4.3" touch screen! Like, so? Are they buying up out of date Galaxy smart phones or something?

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura