1 (edited by JayCee 2015-01-21 09:21 PM)

Topic: Guinness World Record at Thunderhill - UPDATED: GET YOUR CERTIFICATE!

Heard a few things flying around about the world record attempt at the 5-mile "Thunderschleife" course at Thunderhill. I'm in a position to clear things up (and I also need your input on something), so here's the scoop:

Q: What's this about a world record something Thunderhill something Lemons something?
A: We are (collectively, as a group) going to attempt to a Guinness World Record for "Largest Auto Race" at the Thunderhill Lemons race Sept 13-14th.

Q: Who the hell are you?
A: Just some run-o-tha-mill Lemons racer (#300 Snowspeeder) with his own fancy sheet of paper from the GWR folks in London. Seriously, they'll hand these things out for just about any ol' thing dudes want to do these days. Anyway, Jay thought I'd be just the right kind of idiot to see this through for us, so I'm coordinating all of this world record bidness.

Q: So what's the current record?
A: Surprisingly, there is no current world record for this category with GWR. In some ways, this is easier, and in some ways, this makes it harder. I've had to negotiate things like not having FIA certification, using flags for the race start as compared to audible signals and other super detailed items.

Q: Ok, cool. Why bother doing this?
A: To help raise money for Alex's Lemonade Stand, for starters. Also, Jay thought David Vodden needed something new to talk about over the loudspeaker, so...

Q: So Guinness World Records will be there, I hear?
A: No. Not that *I'm* aware of. GWR's "adjudication process" is where they fly out from London/New York and personally certify your record after the attempt, and it's very expensive (north of $7,000 USD). Eff that noise. We are collecting our own evidence to "prove" our record, and GWR will review it and make a judgement on if our record will be certified at a later date. I will, however, be putting cool GWR "Official Attempt "stickers on the cars during Friday tech inspection. If you see me in the GWR shirt, say Hi!

Q: So what do we have to do to get the record?
A: In short - nothing special, other than take a look at the ALSF question at the bottom. Participants have plenty to do to keep things safe, so please concentrate on that. I'll try to dot all of the "I's" and cross all the "T's" to give us the best chance at getting marked official.

Q: When do we get our World Record ?
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, speedy. *IF* GWR reviews our evidence and decides to certify our attempt as a world record, we should know by the end of the year. Yes, it takes a long time. After that, you'll certainly be eligible for your own personalized GWR certificate. I'll talk to Jay about how folks get the information they need to buy their own yellow participation certificates, if they want. Maybe we'll figure our a group buy or something to save on shipping from London.

Q: So we're going to be in THE Guinness Book of World Records?
A: Maybe. They publish it once a year, and not every world record is printed. If they do, my guess is that the full record won't name names, just refer to the event.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
Q: How can we use this to raise money for our awesome charity partner, Alex's Lemonade Stand?
A: Good question. I'll be chatting with ALSF on some ideas. My initial thought is that we ask teams/individuals to share news of the GWR attempt on social media, and ask their fans to donate to ALSF on behalf of the team, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. Ideas?

Thanks everyone!
Julian

#303 '63 Pugeot 404 - PugeotDaddy - IOE Winner, Thunderhill 2014
#300 '86 MR2 - Snowspeeder Pilots Association - I Got Screwed - The Ridge - 2013, Heroic Fix - The Ridge - 2015, Class B victory, Thunderhill 2016
Guinness World Record - Largest Car Race, Thunderhill 2014
Southern Oregon

Re: Guinness World Record at Thunderhill - UPDATED: GET YOUR CERTIFICATE!

Sent you of PM. Let us know how we can help. Anything that helps ALSF raise awareness and money to cure childhood cancers is something I can get behind. Thanks for taking on all the GWR legwork, too!

-Jim B.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

Thanks much, Jim!

#300 '86 MR2 - Snowspeeder Pilots Association - I Got Screwed - The Ridge - 2013, Heroic Fix - The Ridge - 2015, Class B victory, Thunderhill 2016
Southern Oregon

Thanks for taking this on.  Way cool to be a part of it.  Now, can we get one of your stickers with our car # on it?  Ha!

bs

What do you guys think about world record tee shirts?  I don't have the where with all to do it but tee shirts with some design combining ALS, Lemons, T'hill, and GWR might be a money maker for ALS.    Maybe copyright laws might get in the way.  If it can be done our team will take at least 5.

Well, we don't have permission to use the GWR logo for publicity or anything like that, but...

...you could pick up some of these GWR t-shirts and do something with them ;-)

http://store.guinnessworldrecords.com/p … ducts_id=6

(I see they are out of stock on a bunch of sizes, I've asked when they'll be back in stock)

Southern Oregon

rodknox2 wrote:

What do you guys think about world record tee shirts?  I don't have the where with all to do it but tee shirts with some design combining ALS, Lemons, T'hill, and GWR might be a money maker for ALS.    Maybe copyright laws might get in the way.  If it can be done our team will take at least 5.

Great idea but would definitely take some legwork to have all four logos / group incorporated into one. Perhaps Thill, 24HOL, and ALSF, but only stating "World Record Attempt Weekend" but no mention of Guiness would keep Lemons clear of any legal/copyright entanglements. 

Also, be careful with using the acronym "ALS". Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation goes by "ALSF." ALS is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or Lou Gehrig's disease.

8 (edited by rodknox2 2014-08-12 05:08 PM)

Yeah, there might be some kinks.  Maybe we don't need the logos.  Could we put all 300 team names on the back?

Just a thought about the front:

Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation

Goin' for World Record 300

24 Hours of Lemons

Vodden the Hell Are We Doing?

Thunderhill Raceway, California

Septemper 13-14 2014

Also - because there's no one governing body for world records (GWR is simply a brand), we can also use "World Record" all we want without the GWR name.

Here's their position:

Keep in mind that you can always use the word mark “GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS®” in describing your event and your record at no cost in an editorial or factual account (i.e. a news item, a press release, limited social media mentions).  But there is always a fee for logo or trademark use in commercial content or paid media (i.e. advertising, social media campaign, etc.)

I could ask about using the GWR logo for use on team shirts. Worst they can say is "no".

Southern Oregon

I'm in for shirts and certificates, BTW, great choice on color, yellow.

Not sure how else I could help other than buy this stuff.

I'd think Dave Vodden would want to help out with this whole GWR business.

For ALSF, I'm figuring on a $1/gallon of fuel donation in addition to the 2 liter thing.

I'll buy a shirt, why not?

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Julian- I have a friend working on a tshirt design now. Can you ask the GWR and Thunderhill folks if it's ok to use their logos?

JayCee wrote:

Also - because there's no one governing body for world records (GWR is simply a brand), we can also use "World Record" all we want without the GWR name.

Here's their position:

Keep in mind that you can always use the word mark “GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS®” in describing your event and your record at no cost in an editorial or factual account (i.e. a news item, a press release, limited social media mentions).  But there is always a fee for logo or trademark use in commercial content or paid media (i.e. advertising, social media campaign, etc.)

I could ask about using the GWR logo for use on team shirts. Worst they can say is "no".

If an official entity (like Lemons), or a for profit organization, uses somebody's logo without permission, then they subject themselves to lawsuits.

If a bunch of guys prints up a few t shirts for themselves to commemorate something, nobody cares.  And if anybody does care, who are they going to sue?

I'm guessing almost everybody here has used the Lemons logo in some form or another.  How is this any different?

I'm all for protecting copyright, intellectual property, and all that, but I dont think we're doing any of this to harm or compete with the Guinness folks, are we?

bs

I tend to agree. I'd still want to get Jay/Nick's permission to use the 24HOL logo and the Thunderhill owners' permission to use their logo before we got to press with tee-shirts. Also since both the Lemons' folks and Thunderhill folks both sell their own t-shirts and gear for profit, having another t-shirt design for sale at the event might be an issue if we don't get permission ahead of time.

Going to start up a separate thread to float the concept and see how many folks would really buy them. Last thing I want is to be stuck with 100+ t-shirts that tons of folks said they'd buy but then don't.

I've got permission to use Thunderhill's. and Buttonwillow's, and Reno-Fernley's logos in my track videos. I just called/emailed and told them what I was doing and it was all good.

A t-shirt that is being sold might be different, even if for no profit or for charity. That's why I noted above that Vodden might want to get going on this. Maybe a Lemons/Thunderhill/ALSF collaboration could be worked out.

I think a great t-shirt can be done without using the logos.

I've got enough keeping me busy with the GWR stuff, so I'm not able to drive the ship on some of these cool ideas with the t-shirts.

Please let me know if there's something I can help with, though.

I do remember that T-Hill did a pretty cool Lemons shirt last year. It had every teams name on the back.

Southern Oregon

One other item:
There's nothing preventing us from saying either:

- "World Record"
- "World Record Attempt"

Although, if it were me, I'd just use the first one like this:

World Record Achieved: Largest Auto Race in the World!

(or something like that)

Southern Oregon

m610 wrote:

I've got permission to use Thunderhill's. and Buttonwillow's, and Reno-Fernley's logos in my track videos. I just called/emailed and told them what I was doing and it was all good.

A t-shirt that is being sold might be different, even if for no profit or for charity. That's why I noted above that Vodden might want to get going on this. Maybe a Lemons/Thunderhill/ALSF collaboration could be worked out.

But an even greater shirt could be made with the logos!

I'm happy to help with this effort.  I'm probably not the guy to design the shirts, but I could help out with logistics, up front costs, distribution, etc.

bs

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=27780

bshorey wrote:
m610 wrote:

But an even greater shirt could be made with the logos!

I'm happy to help with this effort.  I'm probably not the guy to design the shirts, but I could help out with logistics, up front costs, distribution, etc.

bs

Excellent. This is coming together. I've asked Vodden and Lamm for official permission to sell the shirts at the event. The person who designed our BertOne team shirts and stickers is working on a design for the t-shirt now. Time is short, but I think with a team effort we can pull it together. $20 as a price-point make sense for most folks? If we do a multi-color print on a 100% cotton shirt for a run of say, 250, any experience on what the unit cost will be?

Vodden said "no" to the t-shirts (they're selling their own event-specific shirts at the event already) but yes to pretty much everything else we're planning on for the ALSF fundraiser. He said we could give a few away as prizes which I'm hopeful we can do in the course of the raffle and the Over/Under awards ceremony.

That will be one of my bucket list ! No more trying to eat 12 donuts in 30 seconds!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

FYI - according to our Guinness WR contact, 175 cars is the minimum, so we need at least this number of cars running with good transponder data at the start of the race. If not, we're cooked before we even get started.

Southern Oregon

JayCee wrote:

FYI - according to our Guinness WR contact, 175 cars is the minimum, so we need at least this number of cars running with good transponder data at the start of the race. If not, we're cooked before we even get started.

So help out all those struggling teams you see scratching their heads after tech inspection!

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Racin_G73 wrote:
JayCee wrote:

So help out all those struggling teams you see scratching their heads after tech inspection!

If, by "help out", you mean "point at things, look confused and smack various engine parts with a crescent wrench", I'm totally the guy you want "helping out"!

Southern Oregon