Re: Corvair Build Thread (Transcontinental Drifters)

neat. love it.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

127 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 05:32 PM)

I think we have found a solution to our 90's Jag rear suspension woes.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXOWR6Ni1sUzlrdVk

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXWHRGbVdwTEk2a1k

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXSVdLUVNBZkcyd1k

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

LOTS of ebay $$ to be made off that VIII

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

129 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-09-19 01:43 PM)

Team Infinniti wrote:

Too bad I have the customer service skills of Walter Matthau in Grumpy Old Men. Considering the people I have met trying to sell Corvair and Jaguar parts, I'm good stripping it and scrapping it.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Too bad I have the customer service skills of Walter Matthau in Grumpy Old Men. Considering the people I have met trying to sell Corvair and Jaguar parts, I'm good stripping it and scrapping it.

Corvair owners are notoriously cheep, jag parts are of no value, on the other hand those mark vIII folks, they will give 100 for the door handle!

Saying that

if you have working HID headlights, we should talk

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Corvair owners are notoriously cheep, jag parts are of no value, on the other hand those mark vIII folks, they will give 100 for the door handle!

Saying that

if you have working HID headlights, we should talk

I will check as soon as get a good battery in it.

I topped off the battery and charged it. She fired right up. Now the problem is do we cage it.

I don't understand why more teams don't build those (and Thunderbirds) up as race cars.
The IRS more than makes up for the weight difference from a Mustang, lots of the parts transfer over, and they can be had for not much money.
Bonus that you can fit just about any engine in it without too much trouble. Not sure on a straight 6, but a 300 out of an F150 should fit with a little trimming of the hood.

134 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-09-20 10:51 AM)

Firebelly wrote:

I don't understand why more teams don't build those (and Thunderbirds) up as race cars.
The IRS more than makes up for the weight difference from a Mustang, lots of the parts transfer over, and they can be had for not much money.
Bonus that you can fit just about any engine in it without too much trouble. Not sure on a straight 6, but a 300 out of an F150 should fit with a little trimming of the hood.

Yeah, there are 5X the amount of $500 Thunderbirds as there are Mark VIIIs. Parts are cheap for both.

Well if the 4.6l is not viable, you know a 4.0l Jag is not too far away.

Based on what I've seen in Lemons, the reason more folks don't race them is... The diff explodes. Not enough heat transfer. Maybe a setup like Alpina used to do on BMWS  is the answer. Oil pump and heat exchanger. What could go wrong there?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

The mark viii has an aluminum diff, fingers crossed.

Here's a picture of what I did to try and keep rear break temps down last weekend at CMP.
PVC piping from Lowes, a couple of well placed holes, and they ended up mostly centered on the caliper and less than 1/2" away.  I know the piece of 3" that I added to the drivers side mirror helped keep cockpit temps down.  Any extra airflow in that area has to help keep temps down, and hopefully keep the seals on the diff from melting.
I haven't gotten under it to see if they helped yet, might be a couple of weeks...

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSF16/018-IMG_2470.html

138 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-09-20 02:03 PM)

Firebelly wrote:

Here's a picture of what I did to try and keep rear break temps down last weekend at CMP.
PVC piping from Lowes, a couple of well placed holes, and they ended up mostly centered on the caliper and less than 1/2" away.  I know the piece of 3" that I added to the drivers side mirror helped keep cockpit temps down.  Any extra airflow in that area has to help keep temps down, and hopefully keep the seals on the diff from melting.
I haven't gotten under it to see if they helped yet, might be a couple of weeks...

We are running (ruining) '93 XJ6 suspension (outboard brakes) with C7 Corvette calipers and rotors on the Jagvair, they run about 200 degrees with ducting in the front splitter and nothing out back. We are actually looking to decrease rear brake bias as the rear has a tendency to lock up. I have heard of inboard brake diff seal problems and that was a factor in going with the '93 (not the $230 price tag).

Most of the reasoning with going with a more conventional independent suspension is that the Jag offers no adjustments other than camber. We have also discussed the probability of a u-joint failure (drive axle is the upper link) that would cause the rear suspension to consume itself and possibly destroy the car.

Firebelly wrote:

We are running (ruining) '93 XJ6 suspension (outboard brakes) with C7 Corvette calipers and rotors on the Jagvair, they run about 200 degrees with ducting in the front splitter and nothing out back. We are actually looking to decrease rear brake bias as the rear has a tendency to lock up. I have heard of inboard brake diff seal problems and that was a factor in going with the '93 (not the $230 price tag).

Most of the reasoning with going with a more conventional independent suspension is that the Jag offers no adjustments other than camber. We have also discussed the probability of a u-joint failure (drive axle is the upper link) that would cause the rear suspension to consume itself and possibly destroy the car.

Fabricator of your caliber can't adapt the eccentric bolts of a 1995-03 XJ to attain toe adjustment?

Son, I am disappoint...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

140 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-09-21 07:57 AM)

Type44 wrote:

Fabricator of your caliber can't adapt the eccentric bolts of a 1995-03 XJ to attain toe adjustment?

Son, I am disappoint...

Dad, if there was a '95+ Jag for sale for less than $1000 within 200 miles I might think about it. I am also aware of future cost and availibility of parts. The 8.8 LSD is half the cost of the Dana 44 conversion for a Salisbury. With our performance beginning to surpass the abilities of 100000+ mile parts from a safety standpoint, I can no longer send my team out with parts of unknown quality.

Firebelly wrote:

http://i59.tinypic.com/4jkzn.jpg
After 15 races, 14 checkered, 1 dnf. I can give you my impressions of the MN12 platform used as a race car.
The good: Decent handling, OK power when running the 3.8l SC or the 4.6 modular or the 5.0, good braking w/ mustang upgrades. Tons of used/new parts available.
The not so good: Big, HEAVY, full size grandma car. $800 set of tires last 2 races(unless Inde--then only 1), 16 gal OE fuel tank of which only 10 gal are usable, ie short stints.
So unless we put in a fuel cell to get longer stints we will never be competitive in class B. All that said, I really like driving the #19 car. We finish 93.3% of the races we start and to finish is to win.

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

142 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-09-21 07:56 AM)

Well the Jagvair is running on its 3rd Lemons DNF and it is starting to wear on me. Year One: failed con rod (Air-cooled Six, 27 laps), Year Two: fuel pick up failure (new fuel system, 133 laps), Year Three: rear suspension failure (contact, 284 laps). Now that I look back on it I guess it is not too bad. Thanks for the info Chuck, I am sure I will have more questions as the time to race draws near (Cage the Mark VIII or fix the Jagvair). Tonight we drive the Mark VIII and start disassembling the Corvair parts car. Once I know what we have I can make a better decision, unless somebody calls me chicken, then I get all Marty McFly.

143 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 05:40 PM)

I did not work on the race car this weekend, but did strip the parts car and get it ready for the claw. We had originally bought the red Corvair for its front bumper and hood, but the car had been restored in '95 and I felt bad about cutting it up. After dealing with the mouse condo above the diff and pulling back the carpet, I now know that a $200 Corvair is NOT worth saving. BRING ME THE SAWZALL!

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXS0otX1RJUUQwR28

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXa0s0aThCZWxMRDA

144 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 05:41 PM)

On today's episode of "Who Wore It Better", Avian Carnivore vs. Electrical Snake Oil Salesman

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXdE1kMTVNVUNHZHM
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXanNfMHZDcm1TNlU

30,000 views! That's incredible! We are almost as popular as the radio thread! Should be starting the Mark VIII disassembly this weekend. I might have time to paint the inside of the car before SIAS. Thanks to everyone for their support!

The Sacramento International Auto Show is this weekend and I am loading up the Jagvair tomorrow, now that it has stopped raining. I am looking forward to hanging out with other racers and irritating my wife at the same time.

Jagvair Reconstruction 2017 started today to repair the damage incurred during the 2016 season. First on the list was to replace the rear suspension to increase adjustability and safety, so we took the motor and front suspension out.

Jagvair Reconstruction 2017 started today to repair the damage incurred during the 2016 season. First on the list was to replace the rear suspension to increase adjustability and safety, so we took the motor and front suspension out.

Yup, sounds like the correct order. Carry on

Silversleeves Racing
Austin Mini #42 | John Lemmons Wolseley Hornet
Austin 1800 #49  V6 Landcrab - Organizer's Choice PNW2013 | Class C Winner 2015
Barbie's Corvette #44 - Organizer's Choice PNW2014

149 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 05:42 PM)

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXT2ZDYWJ1OVFydE0

Jagvair, racecar. A car barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic car. The Jagvair will be that car. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Is that the last center post lift?