Topic: Cooling a suit cooler with the car's AC system?

Here's the idea. Instead of using block ice to chill the water in your suit cooler, plumb in coolant lines from the vehicle's air conditioning system. Remove the evaporator from the AC system, because now the suit cooler is the evaporator. It's basically a crude shell-and-tube heat exchanger. Keep the AC turned on for the whole race. Depending on the car and the AC system, I'm thinking this might actually be more effective than ice, and you never have to change out the ice at pit stops. What do you think? Any reason this wouldn't work?

Of course, I also wondered if you could just plumb up a high-pressure seat cooler and run the AC coolant directly to the seat. This cuts out the entire water system and makes your seat itself take the place of the evaporator in the cooling system. But then you couldn't exactly throttle it, and it would probably be way too cold, and also you'd be sitting on high-pressure coolant lines, with 250 lb. dudes constantly getting in and out of the car... well, I guess you could have the coolant lines on the back side, but that would only work with an aluminum seat. Still, probably wouldn't be terribly safe.

Re: Cooling a suit cooler with the car's AC system?

That would work. The AC capacity is much larger than whats needed for that so the compressor will certainly cycle off.  I would recommend putting an underdrive pulley on it if possible to keep the RPM down on the compressor to minimize wear and tear on the AC clutch. 

If you could install a really large accumulator/dryer to provide cooling when the compressor was cycled off things would work better.

For sure doable.

The way you control the temperature is via the pressure. This can be done with a thermostatic expansion valve. Those aren't typical on vehicle ACs but could certainly be plumbed into one.

We're thinking about something like this since our donor car has a perfectly working R12 A/C system.    Possibly just putting the evaporator in the cool-shirt cooler, and controlling the temp with the cool-shirt circulatory pump.  If the driver gets too cold, he shuts it off, but the A/C system stays running.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Keep in mind, though, that a lot of AC systems will shut off the compressor at full throttle.

I've thought of this too, except using a refrigerant to water heat exchanger and using a normal cool suit.  The compressor would cycle on when the brakes are pressed (additional braking capacity for DOMINATION) and cycle off on a WOT switch.  The LPCO and HPCO would cycle the compressor off if need be.  The cool suit would work as normal, exept no ice would ever need to be added to a cooler at any stop.  If you kept the cooler in the circuit it could be used as a buffer tank to get you through long straights where you wouldn't want the compressor on at WOT anyway.  If the compressor fails, then dump ice in the cooler and you're back to normal.  You could even start the day with ice in the cooler and only use the A/C to keep up later on.  A 1/2" 3-way valve could be used for temperature control of the cool suit itself if you use a CCOT or TXV system, a thermostat in the cooler could be used with a TXV system.  Get the biggest condenser you can fit for a R-134a conversion (or buy a new parallel flow condenser, driver comfort is budget exempt) since R-12 is rather expensive and hard to find and you'll be set.  Not that I've got this planned out or anything...... 

I'd be a bit concerned about the high pressure of the A/C system and would run this past TEO for a ruling.  In the event of an accident, you'll have a 350 psi spray of refrigerant and oil on to potentially hot surfaces as well as pressurized lines in the passenger compartment.  The high pressure lines would be especially close to the driver if you run refrigerant through the seat.  And you'd probably have trouble with oil return to the compressor anyway.

This might work really well.  Except I see 2 potential issues. 1 being the extra heat you're putting into the cooling system from the condenser, along with the extra stress on the engine with the added drag of the compressor on the engine.  2nd issue being the added fuel consumption might complety defeat the time you save in the pits adding ice. That's all obviously highly dependent on the vehicle of course seeing as some compressors are more efficient than others.   Also... In situations where youre rolling into the throttle, the added drag is gonna affect acceleration, of course making guys wanna drive your equipment harder, using more fuel, and raising potential for black flags.  That being said...Youd probably want to start with ice in the cool box first and use the AC to keep it cold.  Water may never have a chance to get cold if the compressor is shutting off every time you go to full throttle.

Not to mention that on most cars if the ac fails and kicks the belt off, youre also losing your water pump and alternator belt....I don't need to explaint the perils of that happening.

I've seen it done with a Peltier:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/3 … -cool.html

mattp wrote:

I've seen it done with a Peltier:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/3 … -cool.html

There is a realllllly long thread on this not that aweful long ago and it was deemed ineffective...YMMV.

SpaceFrank wrote:

Of course, I also wondered if you could just plumb up a high-pressure seat cooler and run the AC coolant directly to the seat. This cuts out the entire water system and makes your seat itself take the place of the evaporator in the cooling system. But then you couldn't exactly throttle it, and it would probably be way too cold, and also you'd be sitting on high-pressure coolant lines, with 250 lb. dudes constantly getting in and out of the car... well, I guess you could have the coolant lines on the back side, but that would only work with an aluminum seat. Still, probably wouldn't be terribly safe.

The evaporator is a low pressure area of the refrigerant circuit.

If you guys really want to do it right, just leave the A/C hardware alone. Recover out all of the 134a and fill it with 404a. 404 is used for commercial freezers. Think of those long rows of open freezers with meat on them at the grocery store.

A friend did this to his street Nova. It was awesome to see snowflakes come out of the vents in July. He went back to 134, when 1 month later he drove through light fog at night that flash froze his windshield. He lost all visibility.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

11 (edited by fishchoke 2014-10-28 07:23 PM)

When I saw this post I had to respond immediately.  I applaud your creativity and commitment to this unconventional idea.  I am not 'hating' on this idea, I'm really not.  For the last 20 years I have worked as a design engineer for a company that is the largest independently owned manufacturer of automotive air conditioning compressors.  Based on my knowledge of automotive a/c, I can only tell you that this idea is fraught with numerous very real and very dangerous hazards, and I must implore you not to proceed. 

I have been racing Lemons since 2008, and I have personally modified my own cool shirt systems, so I am familiar with all of the technology involved here.  Many of the safety hazards are obvious to most people, but many more are not.  In the best circumstances, you would have 25 psi of liquefied refrigerant wrapped around your body.  Cool shirt tubing, or any tubing other than refrigerant grade, will not cut it.  It is not thermally, mechanically, or even chemically compatible with R12 (or R134a) refrigerant.  It will quickly degrade, leak, split, and/or burst (explosively).  At that point it will fill the cockpit with an oily haze.  Then, the a/c system will continue to pump all of the liquid refrigerant (and oil) directly onto your driver's body.  Most people don't realize just how badly you can be burned by liquid refrigerant.  It's not like an ice cube, this stuff is designed to remove heat, and remove heat it does,  Imagine the worst freezer burn you possibly can.  None of these things are good in the midst of a race.

But that's the best case scenario.  A worse, but still realistic, scenario is what happens when the compressor cycles off, and the high side equalizes to the low side.  It's not 25 psi any more, try something like 120 psi.  When that pressure goes up, that's when your degraded tubing is most likely to blow.  You don't want hot oily gas spraying inside your shirt at a pressure four times higher than what's inside your tires. 

Using the a/c evaporator to cool water inside the cool shirt cooler is relatively safer, but still not a good idea for many, many, reasons.  Same thing for plumbing the seat.  For brevity I will not list all of those reasons here. 

I have described only two of the dozen or so bad scenarios that I can think of, I mean, I could go on and on here.  Dude, I love your idea, I love it so much I even want to help you build it.  Please don't get me wrong, I do not mean to rain on this parade because this kind of idea is exactly what I love about Lemons.  But the fact is that physics is not on our side in this case, and this kind of thing is just way too dangerous.

Nate
Team JB Weld / Lemon Cab Co / Buckaroo / Ratsun

Kinda think we interpreted the original post differently.  He talks about removing the need to replace ice in the cooler.  I take that as meaning he wants the evaporator in the cooler to cool the water.   I dont think anyone is crazy enough to run refrigeration through a cool suit vinyl tubing.

I'm interested in hearing why submerging an evaporator in the cooler water is a bad idea.  I'm not a smartass, just ignorant.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

fishchoke wrote:

Using the a/c evaporator to cool water inside the cool shirt cooler is relatively safer, but still not a good idea for many, many, reasons.  Same thing for plumbing the seat.  For brevity I will not list all of those reasons here.

Those are the reasons you should list, though! Not in a million years would I have considered running refrigerant through the shirt. Hell, I didn't even think plumbing to the seat was a good idea, and I was envisioning steel lines for that.

To be honest, I don't think running the refrigerant lines through the cooler is something I would bother doing, either, but that's mainly because at that point you're not gaining much of an advantage. You save a few seconds every pit stop and a minor headache keeping frozen jugs in the pits, but you don't lose any weight in the car, and you lose a few horsepower running an AC system. Still, if people were considering running a setup like this, I think it would be great to hear what some of the potential dangers are.

fishchoke wrote:

When I saw this post I had to respond immediately.  I applaud your creativity and commitment to this unconventional idea.  I am not 'hating' on this idea, I'm really not.  For the last 20 years I have worked as a design engineer for a company that is the largest independently owned manufacturer of automotive air conditioning compressors.  Based on my knowledge of automotive a/c, I can only tell you that this idea is fraught with numerous very real and very dangerous hazards, and I must implore you not to proceed. 

Nate
Team JB Weld / Lemon Cab Co / Buckaroo / Ratsun

Yeah, I think you way misinterpreted.  I am pretty sure he was planning to use the AC system as a liquid chiller for the water in the cooler.  In other words, drop the evaporator in a bucket of water to cool the water.

You want something like the Killer Chiller but for your cool suit. Sounds cold.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

16 (edited by Mulry 2014-10-29 06:39 AM)

cheseroo wrote:

Kinda think we interpreted the original post differently.  He talks about removing the need to replace ice in the cooler.  I take that as meaning he wants the evaporator in the cooler to cool the water.   I dont think anyone is crazy enough to run refrigeration through a cool suit vinyl tubing.

I'm interested in hearing why submerging an evaporator in the cooler water is a bad idea.  I'm not a smartass, just ignorant.

I'd love to hear this too. I think ultimately it's not that big a deal to just swap coolers in the car while the driver is getting belted in, but I'd love to hear the downsides of this solution. Let's even assume (for argument's sake) that one could house the cooler someplace safe like on the floor of the passenger seat area, but inside a metal can (like a fuel cell) with only 2 lines emerging to the driver side (cold water out, driver-warmed water in) and then the necessary lines going between the compressor and the evaporator in the cooler. Still dangerous/not advisable?

Also, Nate, thanks for bringing real knowledge to the table here.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Yeah you guys are right I misinterpreted.  Sorry about that.  Please keep in mind that what I'm writing here is not meant to be negative or poo-poo the idea, I'm just stating the technical facts as I understand them.  Okay, so running the evaporator as a heat exchanger inside the cooler itself, would it be safe?  Short answer is no, I think it would not be safe even still.  I think Lemons tech guys would reject it just because you have pressurized gas, inside some homemade rig you put together yourself, right there in the passenger compartment.

So why is it not safe?  Let's walk through it.  The evaporator is located under the dash inside that big plastic evaporator/heater core/fan assembly.  Let's assume we get rid of all that hardware, except for the evaporator itself, and the two refrigerant lines running to the engine compartment.  (Keep in mind I'm talking about the refrigerant lines running to the engine compartment, not the water lines running to and from the cool shirt itself.)  The evaporator is most certainly too close the firewall for us to fit the cool shirt cooler around it, so we need to move the evaporator from its original location to where the cool shirt cooler is located (probably the passenger seat area).   This means we have to move the evaporator about two feet or so.  The existing refrigerant lines are not going to stretch that far (on most cars they are completely hard lines anyway), so we must modify or replace those lines with something custom made.  This is the dangerous part.   

If we cobble something together from the hardware store or autozone, it is just not going to work.  Any material that isn't specifically designed for a/c is going to degrade from the thermal, mechanical, and chemical effects placed on it by the refrigerant.  Now you could use something like Tygon tubing, and it would hold, but here's the thing: it would only hold for a short time.  Eventually the Tygon tubing will degrade and then one day, most likely right after a pressure increase, it will burst.  Even if it's on the other side of the passenger compartment, it's still going to burst pretty much explosively or at least hiss violently, scaring the pissie out of any driver in there, and then it will release an odd smokey-cloudy mist that will fog the cockpit, maybe not bad enough to blind the driver completely, but it's going to be real distracting.   Even if it's inside a cooler or even a fuel cell type setup, unless it's completely sealed, this stuff will find it's way out and into the cockpit.   

For modern cars, the expansion device is going to be located inside the evaporator assembly itself.  This means that one of our two homemade lines running from the firewall to our new evaporator location is on the high side of the a/c system.   Pressure inside the high side line will vary with environmental conditions, but worst case be ready for 600 psig, and about 275-300 degF of hot, oily, sticky, gas.   Tygon tubing, water hose, even fuel hose, none of it will withstand this kind of punishment.    It might hold lower pressures, for a short time.  But what I'm afraid is this scenario: your lines have degraded, it's hot out, you come in for a penatly (no ram air), and your radiator/condensor fan is busted (no fan air).  Your high side pressure will skyrocket, and that's when the line is going to burst. 

But how could we make it safer?  If you made your refrigerant lines from all refrigerant grade hardware, obtained proper o-rings and seals, and you knew how and had tools to crimp the hoses effectively, and had a rock solid radiator fan, HPCO and PRV, and you ducted everything aggressively (like you would a fuel line running through the cockpit), then you could make it relatively safer.  In that case it would be about as safe as you could make it.  Another option would be to replace the evaporator entirely with a tube-in-tube heat exchanger with water.  But even then, we gotta consider what happens when you get in a wreck, or flip the car.  If the lines are compromised in any way at any time, then to me, it's just too much of a liability.  I've personally seen what happens when an a/c system blows (we test for that kind of thing) and in the worst of cases, it's not a trivial affair.  I mean, you just do not want to be around it when it blows. 

Another unforeseen scary thing is acid.  If you don't change your desiccant and/or pull a really strong vacuum, the water remaining inside the a/c system will react with the refrigerant to form acids and other nasty chemicals.  Would they chemically burn your skin?  I don't think so, they're not that stong, but still, acid.  At the very least these acids will erode your refrigerant lines, and accelerate the rate at which they will degrade and burst. 

Again sorry guys I don't mean this as being against the idea, I love the idea, it's just seriously not the safest thing out there.  If you do decide to do it, then PM me (and this is so ironic that I'm writing this) and I will tell you all the things you could do to make it less hazardous.

P.S.
This reminded me of this article.
Thought I would post for your thermodynamic enjoyment.
http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

That's awesome information. I had no idea the kind of pressures that go on in those systems. Thanks for increasing our collective knowledge & understanding at how to not kill ourselves in the process of trying to cool ourselves.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Like I said, it's easier to replace the refrigerant with a low temp compound. R404a will turn your A/C into a snow machine.

Any for anyone that didn't catch it HPCO is high pressure cut out and PRV is a pressure release valve.

If your gonna run your a/c you should remove the WOT switch and put in a HPCO.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Good info, thanks Nate. I guess I took it for granted that you would use the proper hardware for something like this, but then again my partner-in-crime is a certified (and extremely anal) AC tech. Most teams don't have those.

22 (edited by fishchoke 2014-10-30 03:35 PM)

Other tidbits...

Having a good a/c tech on your team goes a long way to making this work more safely.  If he can make and crimp his own a/c grade hoses that's the biggest thing right there.

Don't know much about the thermo properties of R404, but remember, if you change to R404, your compressor oil is probably incompatible with it.  So, you need to research what type of oil to use, flush the whole a/c system, and then put a full charge of the proper type oil in.  Same goes for your desiccant.

I would leave the WOT switch in actually.  It's not just about horsepower, the compressor will live much longer when it's not spun at high RPM.  Remember on most cars the compressor will spin much faster than the engine due to the pulley ratio (typically like 1.5, 1.75, etc.).   

I would say HPCO is a must.  If it were me, I'd put in two HPCO switches and check them both for proper operation before each race.  Not that I'm actually suggesting we do this mind you.

Keep in mind that the pressures I quote above are under worst case scenarios, not normal a/c operation.

Remember the a/c is only moving heat away from your body (conservation of energy), and it basically moves it to the condenser which transfers it to outside air coming in through the front grill.  The condenser is located right smack in front of your radiator.  So the harder the a/c works, the less cooling is available for your engine.  For an endurance race, you want as much cooling as you can get for the engine.  This depends on your thermostat, water pump, and radiator sizing of course, but for most Lemons cars, engine cooling is in short supply relative to demand, so you don't want to short-change your engine cooling system.

If it were me, I would remove the WOT switch, remove the low pressure cutoff switch, and undercharge the system a bit. In Lemons you are WOT a significant amount of time. Doing those things would allow your system to run at a lower high side pressure due to less refrigerant in the system, and allow the clutch to not kick out when the low side goes under 20-25psi. Remember that this type of system works more off a pressure difference (or Delta pressure), more so than it works off actual pressure values. It would be difficult to keep the clutch engaged in a road race style situation without taking these steps, unless you had a way of changing out the compressor pulley with a larger unit...