1 (edited by DelinquentRacer 2017-08-14 11:46 PM)

Topic: Skunky SHO BBQ Lessons

Maybe everyone but me already knows this, but I want to pass along the following observations in hopes that someone else may benefit:

In both of the pics below you'll notice the flames flowing across/up the windshield, hugging the slope until they reach the roof line.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Arse-Freeze-14-Burning-SHO.jpg

I do not fault our driver in any way, shape, or form. I applaud his ability to get clear of the car safely,
and appreciate his efforts try and prevent the ghost ride down the hill, though maybe that was ill-considered.

With that in mind, the reason for the conflagration in the first pic, and the flames flowing out from under the hood and car
approaching horizontal in the second is that no one ever thought to turn of the power. (The kill switch was still on when the rollback dropped the car off at our pit space.) The electric fan provided large and forceful quantities of combustible air, and the fuel pump emptied all of the fuel from the tank into the engine bay.

My suggestions:

• If you think you need to bail out, turn off the kill switch. Everyone's survivability goes up

• Practice bailing out of your car every race, and have any new drivers practice multiple times

• DO NOT attempt to re-enter a burning car - EVER!!! Stupid should hurt, but I prefer racing against you.

• MAYBE mount a fire extinguisher where you can reach it from outside of the car safely. Though, clearing out seems best.

• My pre-race inspection now includes firmly pulling on every line that carries a flammable liquid.

We do our part for Mother Earth by keeping these toxic, rolling piles of automotive debris out of the landfill.
Burning them to the ground seems counter productive.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Re: Skunky SHO BBQ Lessons

Wow; glad your driver got out safe.

I don't see a ton of teams practicing emergency exits at races, but then they might be practicing them at home.  We don't do it enough, and to your point, we should practice them every Friday after tech/BS; it's not like we don't have time.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

Fire is the one thing that truly scares me with racing. I've come to peace with the idea of rolling a car, hitting a wall, hitting or being hit by another car. But fire scares the crap out of me. I'm glad your driver got out safely. And making sure you hit the kill switch in an emergency is absolutely something that should be drilled into your head.

good luck rebuilding the car.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Was the engine running while it was burning?

That's unfortunate, but glad the driver wasnt hurt.

We watched as a car burned during practice once, and the safety crew blew several extinguishers at it, and it reigniting each time. We were 200 yards away, screaming "turn off the fuel pump!!!" until someone heard and did it. Went right out.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

ross2004 wrote:

I seriously doubt it. The driver stated that the car sputtered while climbing the hill toward Turn 2 or the crest of Turn 3.

The cause of the fire was the fuel supply hose coming free from the fuel rail. It had not been properly seated/secured and the secondary retainer was missing.

Baron wrote:

We watched as a car burned during practice once, and the safety crew blew several extinguishers at it, and it reigniting each time. We were 200 yards away, screaming "turn off the fuel pump!!!" until someone heard and did it. Went right out.

I was really surprised when the car returned with the kill switch still on.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

When my car burned up back in March, it really kind of surprises you when you see the flames....or at least it did me.   The Car sputtered and then I saw  a puff of smoke.  I pulled into the dirt and BOOM!   A mushroom cloud of flame & smoke erupts from the front of the car.

First thing I did was kill the electricity (...we do practice drills occasionally) , but by then it was too late.  The car was totally engulfed.  Things actually went into slow motion.  What probably took seconds, seemed like minutes.    It was SEE FLAMES.....KILL POWER.....WINDOW NET.....OPEN DOOR....RELEASE HARNESS....UNHOOK COOLSUIT..UNHOOK COMM WIRES...BAIL OUT!  It seemed like it took forever.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/WolfgangZ/DSC02383_zps68e14717.jpg
Oh and a bigger fire extinguisher would have been nice too!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

crashandburn wrote:

When my car burned up back in March, it really kind of surprises you when you see the flames....or at least it did me.   The Car sputtered and then I saw  a puff of smoke.  I pulled into the dirt and BOOM!   A mushroom cloud of flame & smoke erupts from the front of the car.

First thing I did was kill the electricity (...we do practice drills occasionally) , but by then it was too late.  The car was totally engulfed.  Things actually went into slow motion.  What probably took seconds, seemed like minutes.    It was SEE FLAMES.....KILL POWER.....WINDOW NET.....OPEN DOOR....RELEASE HARNESS....UNHOOK COOLSUIT..UNHOOK COMM WIRES...BAIL OUT!  It seemed like it took forever.

Oh and a bigger fire extinguisher would have been nice too!

I teach my drivers to do kill switch, window net, harness and bail.  The other stuff(cool suit, coms, etc)  will all release or come apart by themselves.  I just want them out of the car.  Hell, they can't remember to disconnect those in a normal pitstop, let alone a real emergency.

Glad you are ok, that did not look like a fun one

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

davisriley wrote:

I teach my drivers to do kill switch, window net, harness and bail.  The other stuff(cool suit, coms, etc)  will all release or come apart by themselves.  I just want them out of the car.  Hell, they can't remember to disconnect those in a normal pitstop, let alone a real emergency.

Glad you are ok, that did not look like a fun one

Truth be known, it was more like:

See fire...Think,  "OH SHIT, I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!"....hit kill switch...open window net...open door.....Try to bail "SHIT, MY HARNESS!"....Unbuckle harness....Try to bail, "SHIT, STUPID COOL SUIT!"...unbuckle cool suit...Try to bail, helmet gets whipped back by comm cords, "SHIT, STUPID RADIO!"    Unhook radio and Actually Bail!

Not seeing a fire truck anywhere near, reach back through window and grab extinguisher and go work!

Notice $400 Gopro still attached to it's mount.....reach through the window and grab that. and then stand back and watch it burn.

When the fire truck did arrive, they couldn't get the water to come out, so they had to call a second truck to the scene.   They wound up using 8 or 9 of the big 20 lbs extinguishers to put out the flames!

The whole time I'm watching them, I'm hearing the Benny Hill theme playing in my head!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Serious thanks for the writeup.

11 (edited by rodknox2 2014-12-10 10:34 AM)

Coolshirt makes SFI approved pull-release connectors... http://coolshirt.com/product/safety-pul … onnectors/ ...$34.  17lb pull to release.

Our VFD responded to a fully engulfed Ford Explorer (Exploder?).  We couldn't get the flames out even though we had 200 gallons of foam injected water.  We knocked down most of the flames but there was still fire under the car around the gas tank.  So we directed the hose into the filler and still couldn't extinguish it.  Another truck showed up with more water/foam and we finally got it out.  That was a really stubborn fire.

One other note...the smoke from a burning vehicle is extremely toxic.  The interior is filled materials that when burning give off fumes that have the potential to kill you if inhaled.  There is also the latent effect of inhaled fumes...it won't kill you until the next day.  Our protocol is to never fight a vehicle fire without our SCBAs.  So get out and get away.

Almost sounds like the People's Curse - open up fuel line, light on fire, let gallons of gas spray at 60+psi just behind the fans. . . then let the team get ready for the next race!

13 (edited by stimpyvan 2014-12-10 11:07 AM)

Although we use quick disconnects on our cool suit setup for regular driver changes, we also have these attached to the cooler so that the driver can get out of the car without worrying about anything but the harness:

https://content.colder.com/Portals/0/Library/Products/BreakAway%20Coupling/Photos/BACD22004MBLK.jpg
$11.03 when I ordered in July 2013
Breakaway connector Part 1

https://content.colder.com/Portals/0/Library/Products/BreakAway%20Coupling/Photos/BACD17004MBLK.jpg
$8.58 when I ordered in July 2013
Breakaway connector Part 2

Not sure what the required release force is, but our drivers have occasionally climbed out of the car without disconnecting their cool suit and these have separated without them noticing.  In 10 races we have never had one separate accidentally.  They are also dry break and I haven't seen them leak ever.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

rodknox2 wrote:

One other note...the smoke from a burning vehicle is extremely toxic.  The interior is filled materials that when burning give off fumes that have the potential to kill you if inhaled.  There is also the latent effect of inhaled fumes...it won't kill you until the next day.  Our protocol is to never fight a vehicle fire without our SCBAs.  So get out and get away.

Most of those fumes from from interior bits, which thankfully most race cars have removed. I'm not saying hang around a burning race car though.

I also think I've heard it said that the extinguisher you mount in your car is there mostly for use to get you to safety, not to put the car out. That should be left to the emergency crews. If you really want a system to put out your burning car install a fire suppression kit. CC requires a basic on in every car. I think about putting one in our car every now and then.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

15 (edited by ross2004 2014-12-10 11:44 AM)

DelinquentRacer wrote:
ross2004 wrote:

I seriously doubt it. The driver stated that the car sputtered while climbing the hill toward Turn 2 or the crest of Turn 3.

So is it safe to assume no kill-switch for the fuel pump if there's no oil pressure? Might be something to look into...

My fuel pump is powered by a relay which gets its power killed if my oil pressure warning light comes on. Obviously you won't have fuel pressure when going to start the engine so one of those momentary on/off toggle switches to bypass the cut-off is necessary, or just crank till you build pressure.

I'm a big fan of the fire supression system over a fire bottle.  Out pull cable is mounted on the dash right next to the kill switch. I have a nozzle in the engine compartment and one just in front of the shifter pointing at the fire wall. We have been talking about a third for the fuel cell as well. For that, i'll need  a bigger bottle in the car .

For us  it's hit kill switch, pull fire handle, and eject while bottle does it's thing.

I feel we are at the point where a neck restraint (HANS, Necksgen, etc) not just a donut and a real fire system not just a bottle should be min requirements for safety.

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

ross2004 wrote:
DelinquentRacer wrote:
ross2004 wrote:

So is it safe to assume no kill-switch for the fuel pump if there's no oil pressure? Might be something to look into...

Yep.
A supplemental  momentary on push button override for starting would work well, too.

Capt. Delinquent Racing

WarpdSpazm wrote:

I feel we are at the point where a neck restraint (HANS, Necksgen, etc) not just a donut and a real fire system not just a bottle should be min requirements for safety.

I think this is where HQ is trying to balance safety and affordability. Neck restraints and fire suppression are expensive. I won't get into a car without my DefNder, but I can see where buying a couple of them could start to stretch the budget for other teams.

Linking the fuel pump power to oil pressure is an awesome idea. I think i'll have to rework my car to implement that.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

You're right Chris... $500 for a neck device, plus around $700 for a good fire supression is a big chunk of change, especially for a new team.  and most teams never end up "needing" them. It just helps my wife sleep on race weekends when I'm 6 hours away.

Personally I picked up the car with the FPS already installed, so that helped, but it was on my list.
So maybe not a min req for first race, but if you're in it for the long haul, I would strongly lobby that it should be on your hot list by start of second season.by then you've hopefully been able to get costs under control and plan it in...

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

Does HQ mandate the use of the lightening bolt sticker on the car to show where the kill switch is for corner workers/emergency workers to find? I'm a little surprised the Sonoma guys didn't turn it off when they responded, and I just realized I've never checked to see if any of the cars have these stickers.

A Mazda on its roof goes "wooz wooz"
"Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague longing for something salty"-Peter Egan

Yes. Quoted from the official rules

the switch should be easily accessible from outside the car; and the switch should be clearly marked by a three-inch or larger lightning-bolt symbol.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Marking the kill switch location is required, but not necessarily with the standardized lightning-bolt sticker. Hand-crafted replicas are fine. (And you can make 'em bigger if you like.)

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

The Fuego came from the factory with a Bosch Tachometric relay on the injection computer and fuel pump. It is initially closed when the starter is engaged, then is kept closed by pulses from the negative side of the coil. Engine turns off for any reason, ecu and fuel are killed automatically. Works well.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

gtopat wrote:

The Fuego came from the factory with a Bosch Tachometric relay on the injection computer and fuel pump. It is initially closed when the starter is engaged, then is kept closed by pulses from the negative side of the coil. Engine turns off for any reason, ecu and fuel are killed automatically. Works well.

now if only any other part of the car worked well also...

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Thanks, didn't want to take the time at work to comb through the rules smile

A Mazda on its roof goes "wooz wooz"
"Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague longing for something salty"-Peter Egan