Topic: Merkur build thread

It may be premature, as the car is still at Kiwi Steve's shop, but here is my entry into this insanity. 
http://i57.tinypic.com/i1bn29.jpg

2 (edited by fyremanbill 2015-02-21 08:32 PM)

Re: Merkur build thread

The original turbo EFI engine and T5 trans don't come with it, but I get something even better!  Note dumpster in the background in case I need to bail out.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2mpdjeu.jpg

Nothing says reliability, simplicity, and horsepower like the 1979 Mustang 4 cyl turbo!  Carb on top of turbo on top of intake manifold, and miles of hoses going God knows where.  Clearly this will DOMINATE! 
http://i59.tinypic.com/52ezrt.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2w6hssn.jpg

Um- Where do the numbers go?

This space for rent.

Soon to be the T  aco car.

Let me know if you need anything.  Like sense.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Clearly I have none.

Nothing can POSSIBLY go wrong here.

I love it.

It does stand for "eXperimental Racing, 4 series, Turbo, advanced Injection system". Blow through late 70s carb is definitely advanced masochism, I guess. I'd go with a Sierra Mist or Lutz Potato Chips theme.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

You are aware we have enough trouble in Lemons keeping FI T 2.3s alive, aren't you?

Awesome!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

You are aware we have enough trouble in Lemons keeping FI T 2.3s alive, aren't you?

Awesome!

shhh....

He's gotta learn this one on his own.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Oh come on, how hard could it be.....

The solution to this is a twin-turbo setup, one that blows through the carburetor and a second for supplemental suckiness to additionally overheat the intake charge AFTER passing through the carb.

smile

fyremanbill wrote:

You're gonna fit right in. big_smile

Drdanteiii wrote:
fyremanbill wrote:

You're gonna fit right in. big_smile

Bill's a good guy, he's A&Ded a few times with me and he'll be fine.  Actually sorry to see him go as besides being a good guy, he's a good wrench with good knowledge.  I tried to lure him in with the Rover but he's gone for what well might be a much more Sisyphean direction.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Thanks Rich, but the car should probably be done in a couple of weeks, right?  I mean, how hard could it be to swap rare, malaise era mediocrity into rare, European built 80's weirdness.  Sounds like a bolt in and go!

17 (edited by Drdanteiii 2015-02-24 07:01 AM)

actually, the factory motor mounts should work fine, and if you need a set, let me know.   Then if you find a T5 to go behind it, the pre-made driveshafts, adaptors, and crossmembers are readily available on the 2nd hand market at reasonable prices. (i also have a t5 hydraulic bell housing, flywheel and clutch from a turbo-coupe that I'll be throwing out otherwise)   or you could go with the factory merkur t9 trans if you already have it, but dont waste your time finding one if its already gone.

your biggest issue will be plumbing the exhaust around the engine bay, and figuring out where to put all the dominationz that you will be generating.

18 (edited by Sir Thomas Crapper 2015-02-24 09:35 AM)

Dante, Don't throw them away, I'm sure someone can use them if Fire Marshall Bill doesn't take them.  Natomessageboard.com if you decide to sell.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Dante, Don't throw them away, I'm sure someone can use them if Fire Marshall Bill doesn't take them.  Natoforums.com if you decide to sell.

If no one else gets them you can set them beside my other parts.  I found out a 2.3na and 2.3t flyweel/clutch are not identical, so a spare would be good.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Drdanteiii wrote:

actually, the factory motor mounts should work fine, and if you need a set, let me know.   Then if you find a T5 to go behind it, the pre-made driveshafts, adaptors, and crossmembers are readily available on the 2nd hand market at reasonable prices. (i also have a t5 hydraulic bell housing, flywheel and clutch from a turbo-coupe that I'll be throwing out otherwise)   or you could go with the factory merkur t9 trans if you already have it, but dont waste your time finding one if its already gone.

your biggest issue will be plumbing the exhaust around the engine bay, and figuring out where to put all the dominationz that you will be generating.

Thanks, I should know what I need in a couple of days.  I may take you up on the clutch and bell housing parts, will let you know.  Probably will have a ton of questions about your build too.

Well I've got plenty of 2.3t flywheels sitting around. at least 3 or 4.

The T-bird Clutch kit, slave, and bell

a merkur clutch kit.

And rob, I haven't forgotten about your head/turbo/manifold.    I've been super busy and haven't made it out in your direction, or any direction, for quite a while.

The 2.3t flywheel is the same as the 2.3 Ranger so they are readily available.

Little slow around here, so thought I'd post a few pics.  Anyone ever see a T-4?  It looks like a T-5 without the 5.  http://i61.tinypic.com/2q1z3wl.jpg

I seriously don't know where to begin. http://i61.tinypic.com/16s2dw.jpg

fyremanbill wrote:

I seriously don't know where to begin. http://i61.tinypic.com/16s2dw.jpg

I like to start by taking off all the un-necessaries, and sometimes a few of the necessaries.  I'd start with the AC and smog pump, unless you are trying to keep it street legal.

Now, if I totally missed this as a sarcastic post, please ignore me.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013