Topic: Converting a gasoline engine to diesel power.

This is a total spitballing thread. I probably don't know enough to even start asking the right questions. I brought up this topic on the Slant Six boards and didn't get much of a response, but if any crowd is willing to expend brain power on terrible ideas, it's Lemons. Anyway, here are the issues as I see them. I had obviously been thinking of using a 225 slant six for this.

1. Can a good RG block and head casting even handle the 20:1 or so compression that would be required? Let's assume NA for now.
2. Selecting pistons and rods that won't be thoroughly destroyed by heat or stress.
3. Selecting a head gasket that'll put up with it.

I would think the answers to these questions are all "probably yes." You can run a well-built 225 with 9:1 DCR and 15 psi boost, so why not ~18:1 DCR normally aspirated? I imagine it would be a matter of ensuring you start with a good casting, milling clean deck surfaces (necessary anyway to raise compression), and using a high-end head gasket, head studs, forged pistons and forged rods.

Granted, the experimental prototypes Chrysler made in the early 80s had 7 main bearings with 4-bolt caps (as opposed to 4 main bearings with 2-bolt caps), but that engine was designed to use a turbo. You could probably modify the block to take slightly larger custom 4-bolt main caps (still only 4 of them), but that would cost money, and we're already paying the shop to mill a total of like .250 off the block and head, so forget all that. We'll just use ARP blots everywhere and promise not to rev this thing very high, okay?

4. How much would have to be milled from the block and head to achieve 20:1 SCR?

According to the calculator I used, this might be an issue for the slant six unless you use domed pistons. Let's assume flat-top pistons and a 0.000" deck height (which either requires taller pistons or milling a BUNCH off the block... I'd probably do a little of each). You would then need to get the combustion chambers in the head down to about 28 CCs from their stock size of about 57-60 CCs. I'm pretty sure this is impossible, so domed pistons are gonna be required. Something like a 15 CC dome in a 45 CC combustion chamber should work.

5. Grinding a custom cam.

This isn't a problem, and it isn't even that expensive. I just don't have any idea what kind of lift and duration are required for a diesel cam. I imagine it would be less aggressive than the camshaft on a typical gasoline engine, which would be nice, considering how small we just made the piston-to-valve clearance in Step 4. We might be grinding a little on those domed pistons.

6. Combustion chamber design.

Just throw glow plugs in the spark plug holes? I dunno. I don't really want to design a custom pre-combustion chamber, whatever the hell that is. Which brings us to...

7. Designing and fabricating a custom intake/injection manifold.

[Insert glorious feat of redneck engineering here] There are already existing slant six intake manifolds with fuel injectors at the very end of the runner, essentially spraying fuel about 2" behind the intake valve. Would this be good enough for diesel, or am I being stupid? I don't know how to diesel.

Re: Converting a gasoline engine to diesel power.

I think the key is items 1-3.  I would change your answers from "probably yes" to "probably no".  Cylinder pressure in diesels is about double of gasoline engines.

#5:  Don't think a custom cam would be needed.

#6:  If for non-every day use, then glow plugs aren't needed.  You want the combustion chamber and piston head to be as smooth as possible, though.  You want to avoid hot spots.

#7:  This would probably work fine.

Throw injectors in the spark plug holes.
18:1 is fine.
Custom cam should not be required.
The crafty solution would be a common rail electronically controlled system, but for ease of backyardigan-ness, find an old straight six BMW M21 pump (about the right displacement) or an early Cummins pump.

The intake just needs a giant air filter on it with no other restrictions.

I don't think the pistons will survive too long, but it'll be a great thing to watch. Look at bespoke diesel pistons- they usually have the combustion chamber in the crown, you basically want a little chamber right next to the injector.

I love the idea of a DI diesel 225.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

4 (edited by NSF 2015-02-24 07:11 PM)

I will say the 273 Mopar engine is the way to go.  It is the thickest walled LA engine and has closed chamber heads. 

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! 

The 273 has a natural stroke of 3.31 but can be increased to 4.00 as easy as tying your velcro shoes.  The intake will match up after you match cut the angle to the heads, whatever you decide to take off.  The 318-360 intakes can be used if you notch where the intake is bolted to the head.   The 273 have a straight cut the 318-360's are angled where the bolts go through. 

Now how to get the injection pump to the exact timing - This is critical.  Nothing...

Go ahead and sell your soul to the devil.  You don't need it anyway.

This space for rent.

X-args wrote:

I don't think the pistons will survive too long, but it'll be a great thing to watch......

Do it....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

It can work, but cutting too much off the block and head deck surfaces will make them weak and less capable of holding a head gasket.  Add stroke to increase displacement + piston domes + tight deck clearance and you might get enough compression.  You must inject into the chamber through the plug hole as already stated.  Longevity will be determined by how much power you try to make...if you don't put in much fuel, it will last.

All the Kings Horses and all the Kings men, to say  nothing of all GMs R&D budget back when they had 40% market share in the 70s, couldn't make this work, and that was with an Olds Rocket 350.

Ask Spank how well that Vette ran. And mind you, that was with GM R&D, ARP hardware, and Cometic gaskets. Still went poof.

OTOH, if you make this work, I have always wanted that TURBODIESEL badge on our Benz to be actually accurate. I want to keep the DOHC 32V config though:) So, carry on. Good show...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

All the Kings Horses and all the Kings men, to say  nothing of all GMs R&D budget back when they had 40% market share in the 70s, couldn't make this work, and that was with an Olds Rocket 350.

Ask Spank how well that Vette ran. And mind you, that was with GM R&D, ARP hardware, and Cometic gaskets. Still went poof.

OTOH, if you make this work, I have always wanted that TURBODIESEL badge on our Benz to be actually accurate. I want to keep the DOHC 32V config though:) So, carry on. Good show...

Yeah, but the GM diesel had stupidly high compression (so the thing'd start in frigid Midwest weather) of 22.5:1 and not-really-up-for-it head bolts. My crazed GM Powertrain pal had an idea along these lines for an Olds diesel: 262 iron heads with tiny combustion chambers taking the compression down to 17.5/18:1 then modern electronic 'pilot' multi event injection and an intake heater grid and there you go...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

What you should do is actually run lower compression ratio (much more attainable with the piston/ head geometry that's out there for those engines) and run boost to compensate.  NA diesels suck big blue donkey balls (and I'm dd-ing a N/A 300TD right now).  I think some of the hotter diesels are running like 12:1 compression and adding boost on top.  It'll idle like shit, and get terrible fuel economy, and be hard as a mother to start, but think of the POWAH!!

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

To me, this idea strikes me as something you'd see out of the whole DIY/MAKER movement which expouses the idea of taking a perfectly good scarf, deconstructing it, and knitting your own sweater from the remains. The goal is NOT a useful sweater (which probably could have been bought for less than the cost of the scarves) but to see if it can be made.

Amiright?

Or, is there still an advantage to running diesel vs. gasoline even at super low compression?
Apparently, Mazda's Skyactiv-D diesel is designed to run at 14.1:1 compression and still nets a 20% better fuel economy (than what -- I'm assuming its' gas counterpart). If you could allegedly get better fuel economy, which would translate to fewer fuel stops, well, that might be a cool goal (and not just a cool journey).

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

11 (edited by mackwagon 2015-02-25 05:45 PM)

Frank, did I send you my slant 6 engine calculating spreadsheet?? Dan.

So I ran some versions.

Take a 225 Stock block
225 Head with a 25cc volume head chamber (normal is 54) (that's milled a lot!)
Clevite TC2192 Pistons (39.878 mm from piston pin center to piston top, 0cc dish) (stock pistons are 44.381mm PPc to PT, with 7cc dish)
198 con rods (the longer 177.927 mm C-C)
225 crank

I get the piston is 1.6509 mm below the top surface of the block (no impact with the head)
18.7  static CR. If you give me the Intake Valve closing angle for a stock cam (ABDC) I can tell you what the dynamic (actual) CR will be.
1.698 rod to stroke ratio. This should rev into the 7 k range as the 198 rod plus aftermarket pistons are the basis for the long rod 225, which is claimed will rev to 7K. Our long rod 225 has seen 5500 regularly and 6K a few times. Still strong after 3 full races.

Version 2:
With a stock head (54cc head volume) and the same stuff above, except for shaving the block from 271.294 mm( crank center to top surface) down to 269.4mm (reduce by 1.894mm)
CR is 12.36
Piston to head clearance is 0.0075 (assumes a 0.080mm head gasket thickness)

Take version 2 and reduce the head volume (mill the head) to 40cc you get 16.33 CR static
35cc head volume gets you to CD 18.51 static
30cc gets you 21.43 CR
25cc gets you 25.51 CR.

Time to BUILD!!!!!!!!

P.S. I have a  stock 225 head that has been milled .120. Not sure what the head chamber volume is. The valves do not hit the pistons with a long duration higher lift Delta Camshaft in a stock 225 bottom end. You send some $, I'll send the head, you make a diesel Slant six, WIN!!!

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

I hate to poop at your party, but keep in mind,diesels have a slightly different ideal combustion chamber than your average gasser. best case: it'll start if you crank it fast enough to overcome the inefficient design. worst case: it'll burn a hole in the piston tops before it gets that far.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Can I echo Tsog's point? The injector melting a hole in the piston would be a serious problem.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

gunn, you've hit it on the head. This isn't a good idea, just a thing that would be cool to make work.

Stroking the 225 is definitely doable, but it would require a custom or welded/reground crank (expensive) if you wanted to go far enough to be worth it. This is actually a reason why it might make more sense to go with the low-deck 170 block. With the right pistons, you can install a 198 crank in a 170 block to get considerably higher compression before milling anything. Unfortunately, you now have a shorter-stroke, lower-displacement engine. It would also have a rod ratio lower than a stock 225, but I'm not sure how much that matters. These are typically built to be high-revving drag engines, not low-end torque monsters.

You'd definitely need pistons designed for a diesel. I'm not sure there's anything out there that would be in the right bore neighborhood (3.4-3.5") and also have a prechamber and valve reliefs in a spot that makes sense for a slant six head design.

This is a fine idea.

Big block Cadillac; the motors are build like a brick outhouse. Boring .080" over is common and is only considered the maximum because parts for larger bores aren't readily available. Late heads on an early motor gets 14:1 without even decking them. There's a guy who used to shave 17 lbs off the crank for drag motors, so there ought to be plenty of meat. You have to grind the crank journals down to fit BBC rods.

EriktheAwful wrote:

Big block Cadillac; .

They basically have a diesel torque curve already anyway.  Revving them past 3800 rpm is a complete waste.  They produce about 20 hp/L but 100 lb.ft./L

Of course they also run at about 180 f when running "hot"...also diesel-like.

18 (edited by shredator 2015-03-28 06:28 PM)

The mercedes om603 has a bore of about 3.43". Just fyi.

you could probably use a toothed belt, or rig up a chain drive for the injection pump.  if you converted a v8, you could get two 4-cyl pumps...
setting the timing of the injection pumps is pretty easy.

I wouldnt stress too much about getting the shape of the piston to line up with anything in the head, as long as there is no mechanical interference, and the compression ratio is high enough to start it

I say go for it!

You can advance the cam to shift the power down so you're on cam well within the diesel rpm range. I don't think diesels do well with high rpm even if the crank is ok at high rpms.

I'd expect a piston or rod failure unless the head or cylinder is too thin and they go first.

I believe a diesel wants fuel added as is burning (I'm not much of a diesel guy.) I don't think an intake diesel injector would work very well.  I think the problem will be getting both a glow plug and an injector into the combustion chamber.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

I'm thinking going to longer, more spindly rods is probably a bad idea.  Diesel rods look like dumbbells, and pistons look like coffee cans.  I'm thinking that the injector timing and injector pressure are going to be tough also.  The injectors typically have their own cam lobe to control timing and give the required pressures to crack the injectors.  S/F....Ken M

21 (edited by markaudacity 2015-04-14 01:23 AM)

Mechanical diesel injectors in non-common-rail systems are usually just pop valves, with the injection events timed at the pump which is essentially a tiny scale model of the engine itself, just a row of pistons driven by a crankshaft.

Since the combustion chamber needs to be ground smooth to avoid hot spots anyway, would it be possible to take some volume out of the CC by adding metal rather than subtracting it? Weld a lump onto the CC roof either side of the valves, for example? DI diesels usually have the flame front start in a recession in the center of the piston crown anyway, so a smaller-than-bore section of CC around the injector shouldn't bother the burn pattern too much.

Also, since pistons are going to need replacing anyway, could you sleeve the bores to fit smaller pistons from an engine that was born dieselized? Unless there's a materials problem, it seems like that gives you three birds with one stone: piston fit, reduced CC volume, and strengthened bores.

Logistics Pessimist/CAPCOM for Escape Velocity Racing
Heroic Fix - Gator-o-Rama 2014

Judge Phil wrote:

This is a fine idea.

When Phil pipes in to promote an idea, I say it's time to run. Exhibit One: K Car.

Prosecution rests, yer honor.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

This is a fine idea.

When Phil pipes in to promote an idea, I say it's time to run. Exhibit One: K Car.

Prosecution rests, yer honor.

After the PNW race, I should have at least one Jag 4.0l left. Just texted my Cummins friend looking for an injector pump. Can make the pistons at work. Class D (Diesel) domination. Anybody interested? Email me.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Yeah, but which one of those is a Slant Six? ^_^

Logistics Pessimist/CAPCOM for Escape Velocity Racing
Heroic Fix - Gator-o-Rama 2014

Jaguar AJ6 engine

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ6_engine): The cylinders are inclined, as in a slant-6, by 22 degrees.

JagWeb (http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/aj6_performance.php: Despite being cast in aluminium the AJ6 cylinder block is extremely stiff and rugged, having been designed with the possibility in mind that there might be a diesel version at some future date.

Pistonheads (http://www.pistonheads.com/news/general … ions/26664): So we were surprised to hear from Jaguar's famous former test driver Norman Dewis that he'd spent a long time back in 1975 testing a diesel (though not an aj6). Very surprised.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook