Topic: Uncreative But Crappy Team Needs Theme Ideas for Butt-Turrible Car

So, we have this car:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/524/19710976663_3c81ab5fe7_c.jpg

And we're very bad at themes.  We've done like 6 or 7 races with it, and our theme has usually been, "It's a 1975 Ford LTD Landau". 

Once, though, we did stick an oil derrick on top of it.  That was pretty cool.  It even oscillated.

I have limited money and even more limited time.  Themes that involve mostly just paint, possibly with some focal piece of "art" (like the oil derrick, for example, though probably less involved than that this time) are on the table. 

I do have a bunch of body parts from 40's cars (and 40's-looking cars, like a PV544) laying around.  And wood.  And old, rusty wire fencing.  Plus many 3/4 empty cans of random-colored spray paint.  And some vinyl siding.  And an old bathtub.  But the bathtub is an old, cast iron one that I can't even lift (hence why I still have it in my yard)

And....go.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Re: Uncreative But Crappy Team Needs Theme Ideas for Butt-Turrible Car

Since it is a Landau, do a "Landau" Calrissian theme. Dress up as Lando Calrissian, but the cape should be purple swede and wear a pimp hat. Car should be a mix of Millennium Falcon and pimp mobile.

How about a "Love Boat" theme?  Put a couple stacks on the roof, paint it all white, and paint "The Love Boat" on the quarter panels.

Have one of the crew dressed as Captain Stubbing, and go from there.

Bonus for having a sound system that plays the Love Boat theme on a loop.

Isn't this the car that already had 29 passengers at one time?

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Watch "The French Connection".  This is what I think of when I see your heap. 

For you guys that are too young to remember - The French Connection is a movie from the 1970's that teaches us that if you want to send drugs into the US, and you get caught red-handed, there is no way you're going to go to jail.  Suspension in the early 1970's was merely a suggestion.   There are several iconic characters that have been lost to time.  Men still wore hats.

This space for rent.

racinrob wrote:

How about a "Love Boat" theme?  Put a couple stacks on the roof, paint it all white, and paint "The Love Boat" on the quarter panels.

Have one of the crew dressed as Captain Stubbing, and go from there.

Bonus for having a sound system that plays the Love Boat theme on a loop.

Isn't this the car that already had 29 passengers at one time?

It was 44. 

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w479/Ball_and_Trunnion/posted/0303122256.jpg

We can't do that anymore, thanks to Jay's rules, and the fact that we've removed a lot of the sturdy sheetmetal from the car

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

6 (edited by ICAustinMiniMan 2015-08-13 08:38 AM)

So... this is one of those *high concept* themes.

Follow carefully.

1. There was an LTD used by a main character extensively in the movie "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore."

2. Unrelated entirely to that movie, as we all know, Alice doesn't live in the restaurant, she lives in the church near by the restaurant with her husband Ray (and Facha the dog.)

3. So paint the back half of the LTD to look like a Red VW Microbus. Take shovels and rakes and implements of destruction. Cover it in a half a ton of garbage.

4. Now the inhabitants of that VW were arrested by Officer Opie. Opie was the kid of the police officer in the Andy Griffith show. So the front half is painted as a Mayberry police car.

Bonus: Aunt Bee took care of Opie. Bea Arthur was a star of the Golden Girls. So you all need to dress up like old women.

Done. All you need is some white, red, and black paint. Some garden tools. A few petticoats. And a man that looks a bit like Don Knotts.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

Huggy Bears ride?

Any Blaxplotation theme.  Here is a list of Blaxplotation films : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b … tion_films

there was one used in the Terminator.

The Interntnet Movie CAR data base. http://www.imcdb.org/

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

NSF wrote:

Watch "The French Connection".  This is what I think of when I see your heap. 

For you guys that are too young to remember - The French Connection is a movie from the 1970's that teaches us that if you want to send drugs into the US, and you get caught red-handed, there is no way you're going to go to jail.  Suspension in the early 1970's was merely a suggestion.   There are several iconic characters that have been lost to time.  Men still wore hats.

I really like that movie, and the LTD is sorta close enough visually to that Linc to make it work.  Gene Hackman kicks ass.  Don't really know what much to do to the car for the theme, though, other than paint it brown and stick some Lincoln badges on it, maybe write "No Coke Hidden Here" on the rockers.

9 (edited by mechimike 2015-08-13 09:25 AM)

I like the Landau Calrissian idea...my concern is going too far with that theme in that it becomes possibly racist.  Same with blaxploitation.  Not really comfortable encroaching on those boundaries.  For the same reason I wouldn't do a Boss Hog/ Confederate flag theme.

Any Martin Landau movie will be awesome, my favorite is Frankenweenie.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

That car screams "Escape from NYC" to me.  A couple recycled chandeliers on the front fenders and some decent costumes from a used clothing store/scrap yard and poof one killer theme.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/automotive/93877d1334399485-french-connection-what-black-car-01.jpg

http://s3.foxfilm.com/foxmovies/production/films/43/images/gallery/gallery-frenchconnection-4-gallery-image.jpg

...  And it was heroin.  Coke came later with disco...

This space for rent.

mechimike wrote:

I like the Landau Calrissian idea...my concern is going too far with that theme in that it becomes possibly racist.  Same with blaxploitation.  Not really comfortable encroaching on those boundaries.  For the same reason I wouldn't do a Boss Hog/ Confederate flag theme.

I have a hunch that Lemons is probably one of the very few places you could pull off a totally racist theme without coming across as the least bit racist.  I heard rumor that real KKK members showed up at one of the southern races one year and tried to hold a serious rally, and ended up winning a Judges Choice award.  (I made that last part up, but it was completely believable, right?)

bs

https://fogsmoviereviews.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-french-connection1.jpg

look at all those hats!

This space for rent.

...and turtlenecks

This space for rent.

mechimike wrote:

Plenty of other have done pimp themes. Don't think there is too much to worry about.

http://i57.tinypic.com/dlksxz.jpg

The Trailer Park Boys.  Granted, their heap is a Chrysler, but who cares?

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

Any Martin Landau movie will be awesome, my favorite is Frankenweenie.

My favorite was Space: 1999

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/1999/js_warp_Ssm7.jpg

http://www.anthonywynn.com/returnofvictorbergman/1999cast.jpg

19 (edited by Burdizzo 2015-08-13 09:20 PM)

Hmmm, 1975.

Perhaps a "Happy 199th Birthday, USA!" limited edition paint job in celebration of the Bicentennial Eve

I got nuthin  Sorry.

Oh, wait.  Has Uncle Buck's car been done?  His was a 2-door Lincoln, who's counting?

Battleship. Turrets, Bridge, decking, whole 9 yards.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Burdizzo wrote:

Hmmm, 1975.

Perhaps a "Happy 199th Birthday, USA!" limited edition paint job in celebration of the Bicentennial Eve

I got nuthin  Sorry.

Oh, wait.  Has Uncle Buck's car been done?  His was a 2-door Lincoln, who's counting?

Alas, we have no one on the team who resembles John Candy.  Not even a little bit.  None of us are even Canadian. 

I had an idea for a locomotive livery.  We could dress up as train engineers.  Union pacific has a pretty appropriate livery:

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/1/1/1/7111.1179403200.jpg

WHY AM I UPSIDE DOWN?

My personal fav is the French Connection theme, but the team seems to be cool on it.  All of the ideas posted so far are great, you guys are a pretty creative bunch.

PV544 bodyswap and then go full Swedish flag. Body swaps are super easy and don't take a long time or lots of work or hours of bondo or tirelessly watching your teammate pull out hair.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

I worked in liquor store during college. We sold boat-loads of "LTD" Canadian whiskey to the local "Professional Drinkers"  It cost $1.86 for a half pint, add the tax and it was $2.00 even. Every Hobo had a different nickname for it. Some of my favorites were;
Last Two Dollars
Leads To Death
Long Tail Dog

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

Ron Burgundy - Anchorman.
Never really featured an LTD, but it's the right time frame...

Kurt Russell - Used Cars.
No Ma'am, That's yellow primer.
Plaid, bell bottom pants, wide neckties
(Paint the car yellow)

Generic 70's Bad Guy get away vehicle
Currently being chased by; (check one)
Starkey & Hutch
Barnaby Jones
Rockford Files
Streets of San Francisco
Kojak
CHiPs

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

Burdizzo wrote:

http://www.anthonywynn.com/returnofvictorbergman/1999cast.jpg

You've got to love bell bottoms and high-heeled boots for space uniforms!

Here is a link to a site that lists car models and the tv shows and movies they were used in.  There are 139 pages for LTD!  Maybe one of these will strike a note with your team.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make= … amp;page=1

A few TV shows to pick from, Barnaby Jones, Eight is enough, and Wonder Woman.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013