Topic: Any Bay Area folks willing to pull a 70s custom van spoiler at PnP?

http://www.murileemartin.com/Crap/BobVan1.jpg

I was in the Bay Area visiting family for Thanksgiving (yes, I'm turning around and coming back for the Sears race) and I spotted a hella sweet 1976 Dodge custom van at the San Jose North Pick-n-Pull. I was there to shoot cars for the Down On the Junkyard and Junkyard Treasures series, so I didn't have proper tools on hand. This meant that I couldn't pull the amazing vintage fiberglass roof spoiler for Lemons racer and fellow Denver car freak, Bob Harnsberger (Bob is the guy who built the amazing Sordik Racing Renault R5 Turbo and 454-powered/Jag-IRS-equipped Speed Holes Racing 1966 Rambler Marlin, and he probably has a half-dozen Organizer's Choice trophies by now). Bob has a thoroughly bitchin' custom Dodge van project, which will have this Man-O-War album cover as a mural and now features a 440 with 4-speed plus red Muppet-fur interior, and he needs this wing. If your team can get to the San Jose South Pick-N-Pull, pull this wing, and bring it to Sears Point, I will reimburse you for the cost and will consider it a great judicial bribe (plus Bob will owe you a big favor, and he's got connections/skills to get/do all kinds of crazy car stuff for you).

Re: Any Bay Area folks willing to pull a 70s custom van spoiler at PnP?

Hmm, possible. Is this thing glued on or bolted on from underneath? Just trying to figure out what tools I might need to bring. I need to liberate some Nissan fuel injector plug retaining clips and a few other sundries before Thursday so there's a decent chance I can make it down there on Tuesday.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

skivittlerjimb wrote:

Hmm, possible. Is this thing glued on or bolted on from underneath? Just trying to figure out what tools I might need to bring. I need to liberate some Nissan fuel injector plug retaining clips and a few other sundries before Thursday so there's a decent chance I can make it down there on Tuesday.

Sawzall, remove the rear section of the roof!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

It seems to be held on with wood screws toenailed into the roof from above and Bondo filling the mounting holes in the wing. I started to scrape away at the Bondo on one side and exposed the screw heads, but I didn't have a good enough Phillips screwdriver to turn the screws (which are rusty and packed with Bondo). I think a small chisel to remove the Bondo and a cordless drill to remove the screw heads would do the job. Anyway, Bob says he's a fiberglass expert and can repair any damage if you just pry the thing off.

I agree that the Sawzall is the way to go.  Then you can cut all the way down the side panels and collect the bubble windows as well.  Tripling the awsomeness.

The bubble windows will come out with a screwdriver. The only reason I didn't grab them is that they have really amateurish shaky-dremel engraving on them. I did, however, grab this Mid Night Cruzer mirror from the inside (for my garage), plus a Nekkid Lady-engraved vent window (for Bob).

http://www.murileemartin.com/Crap/MidnightCruzer.jpg

Judge Phil wrote:

The bubble windows will come out with a screwdriver. The only reason I didn't grab them is that they have really amateurish shaky-dremel engraving on them. I did, however, grab this Mid Night Cruzer mirror from the inside (for my garage), plus a Nekkid Lady-engraved vent window (for Bob).

Wow, what a treasure.  You must be so proud.

TKing66 wrote:

I agree that the Sawzall is the way to go.  Then you can cut all the way down the side panels and collect the bubble windows as well.  Tripling the awsomeness.

Bonus points for attaching to your car and handing off after the race!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Sadly, the bubble windows were already gone by the time I arrived. The spoiler was no match for an 8" flat blade screwdriver prying from underneath. Damn thing is as heavy as a Yaris, though,

I thought about bringing the loose seat cushion inside for you, Phil, but I decided I didn't want to catch gonnorhea.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

Now we just need to find someone who can bring the spoiler to Denver...

Though that said 'mid night geyser"

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

12 (edited by billybobster 2015-12-03 02:05 PM)

I thought it was "mid night cryer." Perhaps the van was his Sad Place. Or he was a big fan of Jon Cryer.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Judge Phil wrote:

Oh the horrible stories that mirror could tell.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan