Topic: Looking for help in the Phoenix/Glendale area

My sister went to start my car yesterday and it started running rough and the check engine light came on. Is there anyone out there that can stop by with a code reader and let me know what codes it's showing?

The car is a 2004 PT Cruiser that I bought sight unseen in Tombstone. My sister picked it up and is storing it at her house until I fly out for the AZ race in March. Afterwards I'm driving it back home to Chicago. I'm flying in Thursday night before the race and won't have much time to work on it before heading to the track so I'd like to at least have an idea what I'm looking at. I can compensate for your time with cold refreshments at the AZ race.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Re: Looking for help in the Phoenix/Glendale area

Those are famous for the fuel system pressure in the injection system leaking down and causing rough running at first start after sitting for a while. The best thing to do with that is to cycle the key on and off several times to re-prime the fuel system and then drive it around some. You likely just have a misfire code that should go away after a few drive cycles or you could reset after the engine is running smoothly again. Pulling and checking the spark plugs is also a good idea.

3 (edited by cabinboy 2016-01-18 06:40 AM)

I told her to start it once a month until I get out there. Would it help to do it more often?

Driving it around would be a problem since it won't have plates on it until I get there.

Yea, You need to start it once a week. If she understands how to cycle the key till the fuel pump stops 4-5 times you can advise her to do that and still start it once a month.

Talked to my sister today and it's running fine now. The only thing she's concerned about is the check engine light. I'll clear that when I get there. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome. If its running good now I expect its fine.