Topic: Cleaning stuff

I'm doing an engine swap on my street project car where I actually care how the parts under the hood look and I have lots of greasy brackets, mounts, and misc hardware that I'd like to clean off and maybe even paint. They're beyond just hitting them with some 409 and a rag and need to be seriously degreased, however I don't have access to a parts cleaner / solvent tank, and I want to be at least somewhat environmentally conscious and not just hose the parts off and let the gunk drain down the gutter. So what's the best way to get this stuff clean at home?

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

2 (edited by billybobster 2016-01-21 10:57 PM)

Re: Cleaning stuff

I am a fan of the Simple Green for a good combination of degreasing effectiveness and decent non-toxic/biodegradable cred. But that doesn't solve the problem of where the waste fluid goes. Maybe I'm shirking my enviro-responsibility but I don't see how, with a reasonable amount of effort, at home one can capture, store and dispose of the water/Simple Green/automotive effluvia mix. So it's ground, gutter or drain. I would like to hear alternatives.

I think it's kind of a no-win. Water based cleanup - waste fluid produced. Acetone or other higher hydrocarbon based cleanup - fluid evaporates into the air, plus now you have to throw away or wash rags. If you throw away, oily rags in the landfill. If you wash, automotive effluvia goes down the drain.

PS: I just found out there is Crystal Simple Green (I believe it's the same without color or the mint fragrance). Next time I buy some, I'll get that.

PPS: I use a generic pump-up garden sprayer to deliver the diluted Simple Green. Seems like I use less as I'm able to target it better.

http://acehardwaremaldives.com/core/images/products/7215031/large.jpg

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

3 (edited by gtopat 2016-01-22 01:12 AM)

I just do it in the driveway. The asphalt is made of oil anyway.

Not particularly helpful addendum:

My dad likes to recount stories of working in my grandfathers service station back in the 60s. At the end of the day he would squeegee the floors of the service bays straight into the creek that ran behind the shop. 30-some years later the town won a whole bunch of federal money in the form of a gen-u-ine Superfund site. It's a wonder I wasn't born with 3 eyes and gills.

http://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursit … id=0202360

A fun read. Kids today will never appreciate a good chromium wastewater lagoon.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

4 (edited by rlchv70 2016-01-22 04:59 AM)

Harbor freight has a 20 gallon parts washer for $100. You'll have to spend another bill on solvent.  I have one and it works pretty good.

Purple Power is a pretty good degreaser. You can wash parts in a pan/bucket, and then if you leave the bucket alone long enough all of the fluid evaporates, leaving behind the solids, which you can then dispose of in your preferred manor, whether it be in the trash, hazardous waste depot, or in a fire...

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

My driveway is concrete and it drains down a side passageway next to my house and into a drainage culvert in my back yard, so I don't want to let any nasty stuff go down there at all.

I was looking at the HF parts washer and it looks like a decent option. I just have to decide if it's worthwhile spending that much, and the reviews seem to say the pump doesn't really hold up.

I'll likely just go with a big tub and some Simple Green or similar degreaser, and I can take it to the local recycler, but I just figured I'd see if there was a smarter solution.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I do a solvent wash using diesel in a HF parts washer at home and then I take everything to local car wash (in the back of my pickup) and put down a board or sacrificial cardboard and use their "engine degreaser" setting and spray it off and maybe bring a toilet bowl brush and some simplegreen to help with the final degreasing and rinse setting.

I do this at night so I don't piss people off and don't get splatter on anyone but me.

Expect to come home freckled. I wear a tyvek bunny suit if I have one.

The car washes have an environmentally conscious settling tank setup dealio to separate the nasty from the runoff for stuff like this. I mean, they offer an engine degreaser setting for goodness sakes. It's practically encouraged.

The cardboard gets all soggy, but a lot of black stuff gets stuck to it rather than the concrete. And less dirt/grit gets kicked up on the parts than if you were to put them on the ground and then spray them off.

8 (edited by jimbbski 2016-01-22 12:43 PM)

piper.gras wrote:

Purple Power is a pretty good degreaser. You can wash parts in a pan/bucket, and then if you leave the bucket alone long enough all of the fluid evaporates, leaving behind the solids, which you can then dispose of in your preferred manor, whether it be in the trash, hazardous waste depot, or in a fire...

This!  IT can even work if you prefer to use a solvent like mineral sprits or kerosene. I do this when I clean my parts washer. I drain it into jugs, let it settle, pour the upper part off and then let it settle some more. After a while I have about a gal. to 1/2 gal. of very thick sludge in the bottom of the jug. I then pour that into a large shallow pan and let it sit somewhere where it can dry out. Once it has I just empty the pan into the garbage.

I personally have found that Easy Off Oven Cleaner works great for anything greasy or oily.  I just spray it on and let it set for a few minutes and then use a poly brush and attempt to scrub the areas that are caked on.  Then I just rinse it off with a hose.

#124 Product Design Saturn SL2

was always diesel or purple power. but now, gasoline for life.
best cleaning ever, dirt and grease, all gone.
quick rinse, take it out, and done, just dont let it puddle up on the part, or the dirt will settle.
just do it outside, no power brushes like diesel.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Don't use oven cleaner on aluminum unless you like it extreamly oxidized.  No matter which degreaser you use to get it clean you need to use Hot water. The hotter the better. I do know people that have old dish washers in their garages & use them to clean parts. They just scrape off the real thick crud first.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

12 (edited by fleming95 2016-01-23 03:48 PM)

+1 to a modest amount of kerosene, a bunch of elbow grease, then Purple Power/Oxygen Orange/Plum Fierce/degreaser of choice.

I, too, was concerned about making a big old mess.  I ended up just using a toothbrush in a paper cup with about a cup of kerosene, and that's enough to go a _long_ way even in a 20+ year old engine bay.  Repeat with hot degreaser in a spray bottle, then scrub and rinse until you'd rather actually work on the car. 

On stuff on the bench (cylinder head, I'm looking at you, hurry up and reassemble yourself!) it'll do just fine to make it look newish.

Throw down the cardboard to catch the drippings, if you're in the driveway, and have a bonfire with the remains!

I got a parts cleaner and solvent.  Even for the Lemons car, a great investment.  Every time I take something apart the hardware goes into a bin and sits under a spray of solvent for a while.  Transmission pans, suspension bits, they all get cleaned.  Makes putting things together so much more pleasant.

I'd highly recommend just biting the bullet and getting one.

Otherwise, Simple Green and a 5 gallon bucket.  Submerge the stuff you need cleaned, wash it inside the bucket, and save it all for the next job.  The grunge will settle to the bottom of the bucket.

bs