Topic: Job Seeking experience

I moved to Georgia for a fresh start and to be near my family for the first time in 31 years. I am finding out VERY quickly that the job market for someone 50+ is pretty slim. I have had a couple of people thinly veil the fact that I am trying for a physical job "at my age".

I know in a ideal world your age shouldn't matter but I am finding out really quick, it does. If I hear "over qualified" one more time, I will scream. Unfortunately my previous experience was very specific and dealt with a retirement plan for the state, it's hardly applicable anywhere else as far as experience is concerned.

Some of my background is in the Department of Corrections but that seems to be damn near impossible to get in the state, I will keep trying though.

Just ranting!

Re: Job Seeking experience

Dealt with something similar, best advise is to emphasize your skillset, how you benefited your employers in the past (reduced expenses, increased productivity, etc), and don't focus as much on the actual work you did in the past.  You need to be able to sell yourself to an employer, a good cover letter tailored to that specific job and how you can be an asset to that company should help get you in the door.

When they next bring up the phrase 'over qualified', just smile, lean forward, and ask if they would rather higher someone with skills and can hit the ground running, or someone that may take months to get up to speed.  You need to be able to spin that in your favor.

The job market, overall, sucks anyway, regardless of age.   I wish you well.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

3 (edited by Guildenstern 2016-02-16 11:53 AM)

Re: Job Seeking experience

It's not just 50's I've gotten "Over Qualifieds" at 34. I've also gotten age crap because places want to just hire kids living with their parents so they can under pay them. (because it's funny it never comes up until after they ask me about pay)

Since my airline job I have NEVER gotten another job I interviewed for. It's all been talking to people and informal.

I'd have advise, but I gave up and started working kitchens and crap.

I wish you good luck, it's going to get worse out there before it gets better.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport