Topic: The new rules and how its killing Lemons...

IMHO the down turn of Lemons started a few months ago with idiots racing an E30 with the muffler pointed at the gas tank. This lead to new rules, basically mandating a new exhaust system on a car where the exhaust system is probally the most structurally sound peice of metal on the car. Now Autosport /  I/O Port roll cages do not meet the minimum standard. Some where along the lines of saftey and fun i think we have lost sight of what we are doing here. $500 dollar race cars.

Last year my team prepped our car for roughly $3000 in saftey equipment, Roll cage, Racing Seat, 5 point harness with cam lock, new brakes, New brake lines, rotors, tires, and new fuel lines. the exhaust was checked , double checked and triple checked to make sure it was going to stay on. The fact that the morons racing the E30 boiled their gasoline because they pointed exhaust gases at their gas tank is not the fault of the promoter, Idiot Proof does not exisit because the low brows out there will always ALWAYS find a stupid way to kill themselves... Darwin built his reputation on this. Now due to the rampant popularity of the sport, the class of teams has gone into the shitter and we now have to institute idiot rules, and institute higher safety standards. $3000 has now escalated to $5-6000 with the advent of custom cages, continuous DOM tubing, and 360* welds. We now need neck braces, saftey switches, arm restraints, sun roof plugs, catch cans, and  double driver bars. The fact of the matter is 99% of the people whoa re doing this understand the risk, we also understand that we are putting our asses on the line racing a crap box that is so un roadworthy the only option is to throw it on the track, hang it on the revlimiter and see how long till it blows up. but with the increased popularity, we will continue to dumb down this sport for the masses and kill the point of it. Cheap Racing.

Its only a matter of time before HANS devices are mandatory, the cars will have to be impounded for a week while the Lemons tech inspectors pour over the car to ensure safety to keep their insurance costs down. The fact that the governing body has gone thru the trouble of listing the proper way to install a fuel cell leads me to believe its only a matter of time before this is another mandatory item. The costs of racing continues to climb in the name of safety, because the masses cant do the right thing and protect themselves. This venue was my shining star in a sky of dark cost prohibitive racing that untouchable for the 90% of people who wish to hoon a car legally. With the safety costs going up, i dont see the entry fees going down, which has to cover the insurance in some part.

Grass Roots Motorsports is dead gentlemen. and the 24 hours of Lemons just killed it.

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator
1991 Ponticrap OnFirebird
Racing a Camaro/Firebird at Lemons is a box full of fail, thats why we do it.

Re: The new rules and how its killing Lemons...

I don't think it;s dead, but it does feel to me like the series is growing up and becoming just another race series.  As costs climb, spec racing becomes more and more attractive, which is sad.  I'll hang in there, still love it, but agree that the latest round of rules added a lot of costs and the next round could prove to be too much.  I really hope there is no next round.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

alright SILENCE DOGOOD, if it makes you unhappy, dont participate. Just because the car is $500, doesn't mean that it is not still real racing. Hell, it may mean MORE danger due to the POS cars.

BTW, the dumby-o's that boiled their fuel aren't the ones to blame. The blame goes on the lack of responsibility in our society, and the need to have rules, regulations, and insurance for the idiots who cannot think for themselves or accept the responsibility for their own actions.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

4 (edited by LTDScott 2009-06-02 07:35 AM)

I'll never say that additional safety is a bad thing, especially since it seems that racing speeds are now a lot faster than the "freeway commute" speeds originally advertised in this race series. But I agree that there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to investing a ton of work into crap can cars that are supposed to be disposable. I'm not too damn far away from a Spec E30 car!

A lot of the appeal of this series was that my friends and I were able to build our car in our garage with nothing more than hand tools (part of the reason we chose an E30 was due to the availability of a bolt-in cage). The new rules have changed this. It appears a lot of the teams work for/have access to fully prepared shops. I don't have this luxury.

I'm waiting to see what the official ruling on bolt-in cages is. If the new rules require we have to weld every single joint, I may not be able to enter the next west coast Lemons race since we're running our car in the San Diego Grand Challenge series (Grassroots Motorsports' west coast version of their $2009 Challenge) and we will be racing our car nearly every weekend between now and August. Luckily one of my drivers just bought a welder, but I don't know if we'll have enough time to weld everything up if that's what's required.

Having said that, participating in Lemons is the most fun thing I have done with my pants on, so I'll keep following the rules until it becomes unfeasible for me to do so.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

spec racing is exactly what i was getting at. Lemons at one point (we are far and beyond it now) was cheaper then say a hobby stock car or spec car. Now the costs are sky rocketing to the point that its going to be a 10k investment to build a Lemons car and go to a race that was supposed to be for a 500 dollar car. I choked on my beer when i read about the roll cages last night. It made me ill to think that the cost is going so high that im going to have a real hard time pitching racing again next year to the team. I love safety, i think is awesome that Lemons mandated roll cages in the first place. But now that we are making wholesale changes to the rulebook on a monthly basis, its too much. you might as well call it a spec e30 race and be done with it. i mean 50% of the participants are rocking the BMW's any way so what does it matter. i can buy a rolling shell hobby stock for 1500 bucks, explain to me where the value is in prepping a 500 dollar disposable car for 6 grand that is probably gonna blow up 50 laps in. Jay Lamm used to preach about the money wrench and how he was against guys paying disgusting amounts of money for premade race cars, He even said that he wanted the gear heads and the race junkies at the track because that what the series was meant for. But now your driving the cost into the stratosphere and pulling the plug on the small timers with little money. If you wanted rich snobs racing and bitching at you with every last breath, with the latest rule changes you got your wish. the little guy just got stomped on and you betcha im pissed about it grandfather clause or not.

VoR

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator

I'm kinda feeling the same.. its becomming spec "E30L" (L for Lemons) and Spec MiataL anyways.. Most of the fun comes from the lack of a restrictive ruleset and the funny themes which is falling fast. I still don't understand the closed helmet thing in closed cars. Even SCCA doesn't make me do that. Beyond a minimum roll cage, fire suit, belts  and helmet, why can't I be responsible for my own safety? We already accept the risk and have signed the waiver.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Until you guys have started a series... or owned a track... or have had to deal with all the insurance, regulatory and other business matters associated with a sanctioning body -- STFU.

Lemons is STILL the best racing for the $$... and its the only series where Newbies like you could ever walk up and buy a license to go road course racing.  Don't like it?  Go to your local county fair and sign up for the Bombers.  Don't trash what you don't have the balls to start.  This was a risky endeavor form the start... Jay's a great entrepreneur and deserves a lot of credit for making Lemons successful.

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

8 (edited by bongle 2009-06-02 08:29 AM)

I think you guys might be over-reacting a bit.

We re-did our exhaust this weekend to be legal (side exit).  It took an afternoon and cost $70 in metal and mounts.

Assuming that the example given in the rules (front/back hoops) is not the ONLY permitted cage configuration, there isn't that big of a change in the cage rules either.  The metal required is still the same.  I had heard of guys getting rejected in tech for things that  were not previously in the rules, so in practice things like 360 degree welds, proper seat mounts, proper mounting plates and continuous tubes were already rules.

It is unfortunate that the insurance company keeps pushing Lemons for stricter and stricter rules (especially since in this case there doesn't seem to have been an event that triggered it), but I don't think this particular rule change greatly increases the cost.

However: I would gladly have to deal with some chicanes on track to keep speeds down if it meant that the safety cost noose would loosen a bit.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

9 (edited by Mulry 2009-06-02 08:42 AM)

I suspect that all of this is driven by one thing: insurance. And rightly so. The minute that somebody gets seriously injured in this series (and given that it's racing, that's eventually bound to happen), there's gonna be a lawsuit filed and Jay and the corporate shell are going to be fighting for the life of the series in a courtroom (or, really, in a series of pitched legal battles mainly outside of the courtroom). It's important for that future legal fight (and don't kid yourself, it's coming one of these days) that Jay be able to show that Lemons took every reasonable safety precaution. If he doesn't do that, this series is just living on borrowed time.  I'm sure that the last thing that Jay wants to happen is to become the chief rule-niggler enforcer; these rules changes are necessitated to keep the series (and all of us) alive.

The idea that "you signed a waiver" is the barest of evidence in a court when someone suffers a catastrophic injury or death. There are many judges and juries who are loathe to tell a widow and her orphans to pound sand because Dad signed a waiver just prior to his fiery and painful death.

I'm not saying that even the recent rules changes won't need to be tweaked some more (like the cage issue on continuous 1-piece front hoops). But calling this the end of Lemons or the end of cheap amateur racing is just plainly overdramatizing the situation. If we want to be able to keep racing these crapcan cars -- which I most assuredly do, and not in a Spec e30 or SpecMiata series -- then the rules must evolve over time or else the series will be ended with one unfortunate accident.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

And John Condren, to you I say: AMEN!

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

bongle wrote:

However: I would gladly have to deal with some chicanes on track to keep speeds down if it meant that the safety cost noose would loosen a bit.

I agree with you there, but I'm sure lots of the more well-prepared and well funded teams would disagree.

And of course we know all the rules are dictated by insurance, and some are in reaction to things that have already occurred (the fuel tank fire for example). I wonder if this latest round is directly related to the increase in speeds?

Remember, one person HAS died in Lemons racing already, and it didn't automatically turn into a legal nightmare. But of course this may not be the case next time.

bongle wrote:

So would I, and not only for costs - our car is just not that fast.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

LTDScott wrote:

Remember, one person HAS died in Lemons racing already, and it didn't automatically turn into a legal nightmare. But of course this may not be the case next time.

That's a fair point, but wasn't it determined that he'd died from a heart attack prior to crashing? It's probably not a heart attack that's going to likely be the cause of a filed claim -- Lemons has no rules or jurisdiction over the causes of coronary events. Unless the Judges haze somebody so badly that they croak.

14 (edited by LTDScott 2009-06-02 08:51 AM)

Mulry wrote:

That's a fair point, but wasn't it determined that he'd died from a heart attack prior to crashing? It's probably not a heart attack that's going to likely be the cause of a filed claim -- Lemons has no rules or jurisdiction over the causes of coronary events. Unless the Judges haze somebody so badly that they croak.

Correct, but that wouldn't stop an ambulance-chaser from going after Jay if someone paid them well enough. It simply appears that Mr. Summerfield's family understood the risk he took and left it at that.

Anyway, I'm not trying to stir the pot. I was just wondering out loud about what the motivations for the increased safety standards were.

and right or wrong - I did hear several teams grumbling about the increased failure of cars for issues relating to welding being a little suspicious when one of those doing the inspections could be profiting from repairs made to meet tech...

I know there were definitely some hack jobs presented to the tech shed and those definitely shouldn't fly.

don't shoot the messenger - just relaying what I heard - multiple times.

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

ill stir the pot. If it was such a big deal about insurance and liability then why are fabricated suspension parts allowed on the race track, how about a race winning miata that was allowed to continue racing with a rear control arm held on with a chain. Safety? Who is anyone kidding here? you are racing a 500 dollar time bomb. you dont need a NASCAR spec roll cage in a Yugo that is not gonna crest 70 mph (A yugo is a bad choice, but you can pick what ever car you want so this should not matter). Dont wanna chance getting hurt in the Lemons race, feel you might sue if your dainty face gets cut up in a pile up? here's an idea don't race at Lemons. this illusion of safety does nothing but drive up my driver cost. tell ya what when you can show me that the total cost of the entry fees is going down due to the increase in safety standards, and hence less insurance ill be sold on the new safety rules.

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator

17 (edited by bongle 2009-06-02 09:48 AM)

Voice Of Reason wrote:

tell ya what when you can show me that the total cost of the entry fees is going down due to the increase in safety standards, and hence less insurance ill be sold on the new safety rules.

The total product you're getting for the same entry fee is increasing in quality.  Rather than racing around ratty ovals and through chicanes with a top speed around 60mph, you're racing on real road courses with no chicanes at 70, 80, or 90mph.  I'm going to guess that insuring a race on a course like Thunderhill or CMP is more expensive than insuring one at Stafford Springs or Toledo Speedway, unless you have substantially increased safety standards.

That said, if we're going to start needing extreme safety measures (fuel cells, fire suppression, etc) to continue racing at road courses, then I'd be happy to return to lamer racing.  Make it more about who can keep their car running, rather than who can go the fastest.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

18 (edited by Mulry 2009-06-02 09:46 AM)

Voice Of Reason wrote:

tell ya what when you can show me that the total cost of the entry fees is going down due to the increase in safety standards, and hence less insurance ill be sold on the new safety rules.

Dude, wake up. Nobody's suing Lemons when their face gets cut. It's when somebody gets widowed. And then it's not the driver, it's the widow and her contingency-fee lawyer.

Entry fees aren't likely to go down due to the increase in safety standards, but they aren't going to go up as much with increased safety standards. Without increased safety standards, I suspect either the entry fees would skyrocket (if you could even find insurance) or the series would face cancellation. As much as Jay & Co. enjoy running this show, I doubt they are willing to put their personal fortunes on the line without insurance just so you can run only one door bar and a janged-up fuel system.

being as our car didn't have a speedometer (much less any gauges at all) and didnt last very long we have only guesses but anyone know for sure what top speed the faster cars were hitting at Reno?

I'd be suprised if they weren't hitting at least 80 on that long front stretch...

Team The Homer

Mulry wrote:

Dude, wake up. Nobody's suing Lemons when their face gets cut. It's when somebody gets widowed. And then it's not the driver, it's the widow and her contingency-fee lawyer.

Its not YOU they are worried about suing them, its YOUR FAMILY.

See also: Carrera GT fatality at California Speedway

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Spinnetti wrote:

I'm kinda feeling the same.. its becomming spec "E30L" (L for Lemons) and Spec MiataL anyways..

I disagree that you have to have an E30 or Miata for Lemons. Sure that's the quick and easy way but there are many, many very capable cars out there besides those. All of the Alfas were fast and even our Peugeot managed to beat 5 of 9 E30s despite spending lots of time in the pits fixing shifter problems and driving the last 4 hours stuck in 3rd gear. So I highly encourage folks to go out and find the weirdest car out there (400 ci Gremlin anyone?) and not worry that you're going to loose because you don't have a BMW. Besides the fun in Lemons is in competing, not in whether you win or loose. We finished 37th but because of the heroic efforts of my teammates we did finish and we're as proud of that as if we'd have won the race. Not to mention I think we had as much fun as anyone out there and after all isn't that the point, to have fun?

Rob Stercraw wrote:

being as our car didn't have a speedometer (much less any gauges at all) and didnt last very long we have only guesses but anyone know for sure what top speed the faster cars were hitting at Reno?

I'd be suprised if they weren't hitting at least 80 on that long front stretch...

I was hitting 80 before shifting into 4th for a flat out blast through the esses - I'd estimate we hit 90-95 before braking for 2.

At Thunderhill we hit 95 mph (actual datalogger speed and not speedo) down the front straight despite having 2 chicanes.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

rnr wrote:
Rob Stercraw wrote:

I was hitting 80 before shifting into 4th for a flat out blast through the esses - I'd estimate we hit 90-95 before braking for 2.

At Thunderhill we hit 95 mph (actual datalogger speed and not speedo) down the front straight despite having 2 chicanes.

Yeah, those front chicanes at T-Hill weren't doing anything at all really - yet some would brake for them...

GAAAH!!!!

Team The Homer

Wow, what a bunch of whiners.

It's supposed to be fun. People getting seriously hurt is not fun.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

We're very aware of the dangers of not keeping Lemons affordable for the average guy. Remember, Jay and I are the ORIGINAL Lemons fans--that is, car guys that were never serious or well-heeled enough to run even "entry-level" series like Spec Miata. Lemons was, and still is, the most accessible way to go wheel-to-wheel racing. Moving up to the next level will require a greater commitment financially, time-wise, and licensing-wise.

I was one of the people who raced the first Altamont Lemons in 2006, driving a VW Golf in a t-shirt, with a cobbled-together Alfa Giulietta rollbar "protecting" my head. That makes for a neat nostalgic story, but the reality is that if we had continued on that path without changing anything, someone would have gotten hurt as a direct result, and we wouldn't have Lemons racing at all.

Plus, as the Lemons series has grown, we have made a concerted effort to reduce the demo-derby aspect that was present at some of the early races. This was done primarily to increase safety, but it has also made the initial investment of building a Lemons car much longer-lasting. If you built a car to the current Lemons rules, I don't see why you couldn't use that car for years of competition. In the old days, you'd spend less, but potentially throw the car away after a single race.

We spent a long time developing these rules to create what we felt was the best compromise between cost and safety. A lot of the things that appear as "highly recommended" in the rules (DOM tubing, HANS devices, race seats, etc) were not made mandatory in order to keep costs as reasonable as possible. Truth is, we could be sleeping easier if we DID make those things mandatory, but we were willing to accept a certain degree of safety compromise in order to maintain our accessibility. There is a certain amount of danger inherent in racing $500 cars, but I don't buy the logic that racing dangerous cars means that you can throw all other forms of safety out the window. We aren't trying to make the most dangerous race ever, we're trying to make the safest and yet most accessible race ever.

Talk of $10k builds, and becoming a Spec E30 or Spec Miata series is frankly just paranoia. As mentioned, there's nothing anywhere that says you must bring one of those cars--and as mentioned, there's nothing that even says you must race to win. If you can't think outside of that box, then that's just "Spec Thinking."