Topic: Ranchero Crash?

Anyone have info on the ranchero crash at Sonoma? FB feed says it's bad, but no other info. Is everyone alright?

Re: Ranchero Crash?

Everyone was alright. Ranchero spun on the run up to turn 2. Was sitting dead in the water facing backwards when it was struck head-on by a corvette. The red flag was almost 30 minutes to clean it up. The Ranchero might have been tipped into the spin.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

I watched the replay. The Ranchero was contacted by a passing car, which caused a fishtail and spin.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

Glad they all walked away. 

I finally found the video today, that was one hell of a crash.  Looks like the Beamer that passed him into two could use a demonstration of exactly how long his car actually is.

http://racecast.me/replays/150-relay-testing

for everyone else. It's at about 7h 36min.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJto-BYSGB8

I think this might be the incident at hand from a prime postion. There clearly was contact prior to the spin, although one-handed driving is never advised.

Aspiring gravel-trap "expert".
Team Babel / Lamborrari / Royal Mail / etc. - 1987 Toyota MR2 | 1997 Mazda MX5 Miata
6x Loser: Thunderhill '12: 119th; Sears Pointless '13: 119th; Sears (even more) Pointless: 13th; Thunderhill '13: 9th; Thunderhill '14: 48th; Thunderhill '15: 25th
http://meltersblog.wordpress.com

7 (edited by gunn 2016-02-16 02:42 PM)

I second that comment about the Surf bum BMW guys.. Even on Sunday after the chaos they caused the day before, these guys were still nosing their BMW into inside positions where there was no chance in hell for them to make clean passes on before the corner.

It's an endurance race. Why take such risks?

My heart goes out to the ranchero and vette teams and I'm glad that both of those drivers were able to walk away.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Yikes.  Glad nobody was seriously hurt (in any of the incidents of the weekend).  Quite a few folks ran severely short on talent in their prep work and while behind the wheel.  I'd say Jay was gentle on Sunday when reminding everyone that poor decisions on (and off) the track can have staggering consequences.
Does Lemons track driver conduct the way other series do?  I know they can simply not accept a team, but do they monitor (or publish somewhere) individual drivers?  Might be revealing at where improvements are needed.  Not trying to start a licensing discussion...

Taypicala wrote:

I think this might be the incident at hand from a prime postion. There clearly was contact prior to the spin, although one-handed driving is never advised.

I never saw the Surf Bums car during my stint, but that nudge wasn't such a big deal. I'm not saying they weren't driving too aggressively, but stuff happens on a race track. Oil, debris, nudges, etc. are part of the game, and if you're going to be so nonchalant that you drive around with one hand on the wheel, you aren't taking this very dangerous game seriously enough. And the Corvette? Plenty of time to miss a fixed object. There's a lot of blame to go around.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

10 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-02-16 06:08 AM)

drKorf wrote:

I never saw the Surf Bums car during my stint, but that nudge wasn't such a big deal. I'm not saying they weren't driving too aggressively, but stuff happens on a race track. Oil, debris, nudges, etc. are part of the game

You expressed this more than once in past threads as well.  I still find is reprehensible that anyone in Lemons would take that casual a view of contact AND verbalize it for other teams to take their queue.

For me at least, if one my team is the instigator of that nudge and I find out, he is done for the day.  You are right that stuff happens, but that was not unavoidable, it was overly aggressive and unnecessary.

OnkelUdo wrote:
drKorf wrote:

I never saw the Surf Bums car during my stint, but that nudge wasn't such a big deal. I'm not saying they weren't driving too aggressively, but stuff happens on a race track. Oil, debris, nudges, etc. are part of the game

You expressed this more than once in past threads as well.  I still find is reprehensible that anyone in Lemons would take that casual a view of contact AND verbalize it for other teams to take their queue.

For me at least, if one my team is the instigator of that nudge and I find out, he is done for the day.  You are right that stuff happens, but that was not unavoidable, it was overly aggressive and unnecessary.

I'm not saying that contact isn't a big deal. It is. I've done over 10 crapcan races and the number of black flags I have is zero. I take contact and clean driving very seriously. But there's another issue here, and that's the incompetence of drivers.If you get nudged, you have to be able to control your car. And if you see a stopped car in front of you, you have to be able to maintain steering so you don't hit it. The contact was really gentle and the stopped car was in a place of decent visibility. Everything was avoidable in this situation.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

WBrandon wrote:

Does Lemons track driver conduct the way other series do?

My impression that it happens, it's just informal in sort of a dim, smoke-filled room kind of way.  You don't know about the shadow government until you know about the shadow government.
Another "budget" series for 5-figure cars started putting QR Code stickers on helmets this past weekend.  You come in to the penalty box, you get scanned and the incident goes on your Permanent Record, which is reviewed when you apply for future races.

-jt
Unionized Physicist
Tetanus Racing
1986 Porsche 944, #986

The good Lord put steering wheels in cars for a purpose.   That is to steer.  You guys that do head ons should try it.  It works amazingly well at avoiding hitting other cars.  It works like this...you see a car in front of you that will hit...you immediately turn the steering wheel and voila...you miss that car.  It works much better than locking up the brakes.  Try it.

I watched it half a dozen times, looking at different aspects of the crash. In the very end there is a very brief glimpse of what I think was the most significant detail, the effectiveness of the head and neck restrain. I talked to the driver later that night and he said he most definitely felt the straps doing their job, keeping his head attached to his body. He also told me that this was the first time he had worn a H&N device. Three cheers for the new Lemons rule.

In defense of the 'vette, from the video you can see the drivers view at around 13sec. He's driving right into the sun, while the traffic around the Ranchero provides reference, the 'vette is coming up that hill on his own and is probably blinded, then gets a reference but that reference is the Ranchero and its stationary.

#44 VW Jetta "Le Mondrian"
Arsesweat '17 finished 10th in (B), 3 finishes in 7 races
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top (formerly)

rodknox2 wrote:

The good Lord put steering wheels in cars for a purpose.   That is to steer.  You guys that do head ons should try it.  It works amazingly well at avoiding hitting other cars.  It works like this...you see a car in front of you that will hit...you immediately turn the steering wheel and voila...you miss that car.  It works much better than locking up the brakes.  Try it.

Very easy to say from the armchair.

There is a very real phenomena called object fixation where if you stare at something, you will usually go towards it. In a situation like this a driver panics, locks eyes on the thing in their way, and while they might know to steer around it, they are going to hit it. It's a hard thing to train yourself against, and it's not just seen in racing. I've been through it on skis a lot. Crash at high speeds and lock onto a tree downhill? You're going to hit it.

You can tell a new driver to look away from the stopped car and see the escape path all you want, but they have to go through it a couple times to actually learn it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

After my post I watched the video again specifically to see how blinded teh drivers might be. This was brought up in the "Corner Workers" thread. I think visibility was OK, not the best, but far form what it would be within an hour.

I don't think anyone will blame the Corvette driver. If anything, I think he/she did good. Hard on the brakes, maintained control, made the best of a bad situation.

drKorf wrote:
Taypicala wrote:

I never saw the Surf Bums car during my stint, but that nudge wasn't such a big deal. I'm not saying they weren't driving too aggressively, but stuff happens on a race track. Oil, debris, nudges, etc. are part of the game, and if you're going to be so nonchalant that you drive around with one hand on the wheel, you aren't taking this very dangerous game seriously enough. And the Corvette? Plenty of time to miss a fixed object. There's a lot of blame to go around.

Disagree.  To blame the Ranchero driver here is out of line.  Don't know the dude, but been in his situation.

This very type of incident happens almost every lap when you are in a Class C car.  Class A car passes you and then as soon as you disappear from the Class A car's B pillar/driver's peripheral vision, the Class A car assumes the Class C car has gone poof and disappears.  The Class A car then moves into the Class C car's lane and this type of thing happens if the Class C car can't avoid/stand on the brakes hard or fast enough.  A number of Class A cars forget they are carrying another 10+ feet of car behind their seat.  I believe I heard that Jay told everyone to wait a little bit after they pass someone before they move over and this is exhibit A for that type of event.

The BMW is 100% in the wrong here.  They are the ones who kicked the whole mess off.  Not a big mistake but there's nothing that says a small mistake can't cause big consequences.  The Corvette?  Well, I can't argue on their behalf.  Maybe they could have, maybe they couldn't have missed it.  I think this is the one area where kart racing experience really helps.  You learn to look for the hole, not where there's something solid.  You need to crash a couple times before you learn that and it's a real "aha!" moment once you do.  But this is an entry level series for the most part and unfortunately most people haven't yet learned to crash properly before they get here.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I was at the top of the hill and watched this entire thing unfold.  First off, the Go Pro guys ALWAYS drive like dicks.  I had them chop down on me really hard coming out of 7, and watched them make a low percentage pass going into 9.   Anyways- going into 1 was pretty fast and I am sure the Vette checked the flag stand, which had not tossed the yellow, and turned his attention back to the track, which was right into the sun and realized a beat too late that the Ranchero was stopped.  Just a bad place for this to happen.

Lou Glutz Motorsports:  Vodden 2012 DNF, Pointless 2013 DNF, Vodden 2013 DNF, ArseFreeze 2013 P-53, Pointless 2014 P-65, Vodden 2014 P-85, Arse-Freeze 2014 P-31 Class A, Pointless 2015 P-105 (brakes) Class A, Vodden 2015 P-75 (Electrical), ArseFreeze 2015 P-41, Pointless 2016 P-53, ArseFreeze P-29

drKorf wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
drKorf wrote:

I'm not saying that contact isn't a big deal. It is. I've done over 10 crapcan races and the number of black flags I have is zero. I take contact and clean driving very seriously. But there's another issue here, and that's the incompetence of drivers.If you get nudged, you have to be able to control your car. And if you see a stopped car in front of you, you have to be able to maintain steering so you don't hit it. The contact was really gentle and the stopped car was in a place of decent visibility. Everything was avoidable in this situation.

I personally owe drKorf an apology for painting him in a bad light.  Though I disagree with his stance in that specific post (though I liked the follow up) I was DEAD WRONG that he had made similar comments in the past.  He made a few comments in the Old Crows driving by braille thread a while back that were adjacent the Old Crows Team Captains denial of anything wrong and a couple comments by others that I vehemently disagreed with. We also disagreed (not vehemently) on the way to manage slow car with multiple fast movers in another thread where incidental contact was made.

The distinctive screen name stuck in my head and I attributed others' comments to him.  Completely my bad. 

I also appreciate him contacting me off-line to correct me instead of potentially starting a flame war.  It gave me the time to review our mutual past comments without others involved so I could come to my senses.

Years ago I worked for Bondurant when he was at Sears.  We had a drill that directly relates to this situation. 

We had 3 marked lanes and above each of those lanes were traffic lights.  Only they were red and green.  All lanes would be green while the driver approached in the center lane.  We had a trip switch which would turn the green lights red for 2 of the lanes.  A driver's challenge was to pick out the green light lane and jerk the steering wheel so he ended up in the green light lane.  We had the driver increase his speed each time through.  This is about reaction time and realizing that a driver can change lanes very,very quickly. 

This isn't about fixation.  It's about seeing and reacting.  Race drivers don't fixate and drive into other folks.  If fixating was the problem, then maybe checkers would be a better past time.

22 (edited by TheEngineer 2016-02-16 10:14 AM)

rodknox2 wrote:

Years ago I worked for Bondurant when he was at Sears.  We had a drill that directly relates to this situation. 

We had 3 marked lanes and above each of those lanes were traffic lights.  Only they were red and green.  All lanes would be green while the driver approached in the center lane.  We had a trip switch which would turn the green lights red for 2 of the lanes.  A driver's challenge was to pick out the green light lane and jerk the steering wheel so he ended up in the green light lane.  We had the driver increase his speed each time through.  This is about reaction time and realizing that a driver can change lanes very,very quickly. 

This isn't about fixation.  It's about seeing and reacting.  Race drivers don't fixate and drive into other folks.  If fixating was the problem, then maybe checkers would be a better past time.

Not the same. I've done that drill, back when I was about 18. It's not the same because the consequences aren't the same. Pick the wrong land and all that happens is you've failed the drill. You also can see and prepare for the exact point where you'll have to swerve.  But a car stopped facing the wrong way on a race track has larger consequences, large enough to make you panic.

Race car drivers (pros) don't drive into stopped cars because they've experienced it at a younger age and have learned the right thing to do. Again, you have to go through it a couple times to learn. Fixation is a natural reaction to something like this, and it's something you have to experience to break. Using karting is a great way to go about it. You quickly learn how to spot holes and avoid obstacles.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

rodknox2 wrote:

It is fixation (actually called "target fixation") and it is a very, very real thing. It can take years to master target fixation when racing motorcycles, and it also happens to be the leading cause of crashes on and off the track. It is a bit different in a car because unlike a motorcycle, the car doesn't steer where you look, but the principle of fixating on an object for too long removes your chances of finding an exit.

Think about it like this. He is moving at 80 MPH and watching the video he had exactly 3 seconds from the moment when he could have possibly (sun, or no sun) seen the car, to his impact. One second was looking at the corner worker. The second, second was noticing the car you can see it in the video, The car shakes right, 'shit, car on my right!', then the car wiggles left, 'Shit car on my left!'. Only one second left, what would you do? Take out the other cars?

24 (edited by rodknox2 2016-02-16 10:39 AM)

There was nobody on corvette driver's left and he was ahead of the car on driver's right.  He only needed a slight correction to pass on his right. His momentum was to the right.  He would have blown T2 all to hell and maybe would have had to go into the dirt but...

Three seconds is a loooong time.

jimthefirst wrote:
WBrandon wrote:

Does Lemons track driver conduct the way other series do?

My impression that it happens, it's just informal in sort of a dim, smoke-filled room kind of way.  You don't know about the shadow government until you know about the shadow government.
Another "budget" series for 5-figure cars started putting QR Code stickers on helmets this past weekend.  You come in to the penalty box, you get scanned and the incident goes on your Permanent Record, which is reviewed when you apply for future races.

That the one that Screwed the pooch on basic fuel system tech inspection this weekend?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport