Topic: Trailer Tires what do you all recommend?

Turns out the cross plys that came with my trailer were good for around 3500 miles and all need replacing.

24 ft enclosed trailer total weight fully loaded is somewhere in the 8000 lbs area (my best guess).

I know I need radials but there are a lot of brands and price differences out there. I don't want to spend more than I have to but also don't want to be cursing on the side of the highway for the sake of a $25 saving.

Suggestions?
Experiences?

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Re: Trailer Tires what do you all recommend?

I have Goodyear Marathons for a couple of years now.  Cheap and an emergency buy so I can't complain.  I have heard good things about Maxxis load range E tires.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

If your running that heavy you need to get the best tire you can afford. Load range "E"  if you can but you need 16 inch wheels to get that.
The question is what is the wheel size?

The highest weight rating on a 15 inch tire is less then 3000 lbs with most around 2500 lbs. .
You want the tires to be rated at least 25% over the max weight of your trailer.
I multiply by 4 for the total for the tires despite the fact that the trailer hitch does transfers some weight to the tow vehicle.

4 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-02-16 05:29 PM)

jimbbski wrote:

If your running that heavy you need to get the best tire you can afford. Load range "E"  if you can but you need 16 inch wheels to get that.

The highest weight rating on a 15 inch tire is less then 3000 lbs with most around 2500 lbs. .
You want the tires to be rated at least 25% over the max weight of your trailer.
I multiply by 4 for the total for the tires despite the fact that the trailer hitch does transfers some weight to the tow vehicle.

You can get load range E in 15 but it runs about 2800-2900# rating.  I too have shredded two tires...one to a puncture and one to what appears to be residual damage from the time the shackle was broken.

I will say that keeping your speed down when running heavy is pretty much universally acknowledged as you #1 method of preserving the tires (OK, maybe #2 after proper inflation).  I am patient enough to be that guy doing 60 mph.  Are you?

I run a set of Maxxis tires on my flat deck car hauler.  It get used more for hauling machine tools, firewood and scrap than hauling cars ie I overload it a lot.  The tires have held up great other than a couple nail holes that needed plugs they have been trouble free.  I'd gladly spend the money on Maxxis trailer tires in the future.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

I hate to be captain obvious but you do know that trailer tires are very different than truck tires right? They're made to be dragged sideways with delaminating the tread. The more plies the better

I had a tough time when I lost two tires in 8 hours on the way back from Sebring, headed to New York. The tires looked fine and were properly inflated but they were just past their lifespan. After the second tire blew I was out of spares and bought a truck tire to replace it.

Now I cover my trailers tires with the covers the RV people use to keep the UV off if them and I will replace them long before they wear out probably. And I stopped letting friends drive my trailer. They were bouncing off of curbs like a freakin pinball machine.

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

jimbbski wrote:

Wheels are 15 inch, came with 225 Bias Ply Load Range D.

Not sure if they are still in business, but avoid Carlisle Tire and Rubber.

From what I have seen recently, you can usually get trailer tires already mounted on wheels for the same cost as just the tire.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I've had good luck with goodride super ST trailer tires.    Not a ton of miles on them, but they work well, are cheap, and have "super" in the name.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

racinrob wrote:

From what I have seen recently, you can usually get trailer tires already mounted on wheels for the same cost as just the tire.

They are still in business and their most recent tire is not getting near as bad a rep as some in the past.  That said, although my spare is a Carlisle, unless you are in a pinch (as I was) I would avoid them until more long term reviews come back.

I am curious where you are finding mounted tires, especially load range E tires on 15" 6.5" x 6 rims for anywhere closed to bare tire prices.  Even the take-offs from the bigger trailer companies seem to be about $175 per combo with load range D bias ply tires.

The largest tire/wheel combo I've seen is 205/14 at places like Walmart or Menards and those tires are made in China which I try to avoid.

OnkelUdo wrote:
jimbbski wrote:

You can get load range E in 15 but it runs about 2800-2900# rating.  I too have shredded two tires...one to a puncture and one to what appears to be residual damage from the time the shackle was broken.

I will say that keeping your speed down when running heavy is pretty much universally acknowledged as you #1 method of preserving the tires (OK, maybe #2 after proper inflation).  I am patient enough to be that guy doing 60 mph.  Are you?

Tend to sit on 70 on the flat if that's what the trucks are doing. I know it sucks for fuel efficiency but I can't drive 60!

OnkelUdo wrote:
racinrob wrote:

They are still in business and their most recent tire is not getting near as bad a rep as some in the past.  That said, although my spare is a Carlisle, unless you are in a pinch (as I was) I would avoid them until more long term reviews come back.

I am curious where you are finding mounted tires, especially load range E tires on 15" 6.5" x 6 rims for anywhere closed to bare tire prices.  Even the take-offs from the bigger trailer companies seem to be about $175 per combo with load range D bias ply tires.

You are correct, they do not offer load range E in a 15" rim.  I've only ever owned open trailers, so load range D was sufficient for me.

Here is their website:  http://toolshedofamerica.com/product/22575r15/

I know they run specials at the Carlisle car shows and the mounted prices are closer to the bare tire cost.  Even if they have what you want, they do not ship tire/wheel combos, so you have to be fairly local to get any cost savings.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Brett85p wrote:

Tend to sit on 70 on the flat if that's what the trucks are doing. I know it sucks for fuel efficiency but I can't drive 60!

I know I am the exception in that category of patience.

I would have to find the study again but it was by one of the RV magazines and they analysed the difference in wear between bias ply, and radial on 4 identical trailers with two doing 55-60 and two doing something like an average of 68.  The bias ply tires averaged about half the life with the added 8 mph.  Radials fared better but if was something close to 30% reduction.  This was all tested at about 80% of the tires max weight.  The killer, they concluded, will not surprise you as it was the additional heat generated.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

I know I am the exception in that category of patience.

I would have to find the study again but it was by one of the RV magazines and they analysed the difference in wear between bias ply, and radial on 4 identical trailers with two doing 55-60 and two doing something like an average of 68.  The bias ply tires averaged about half the life with the added 8 mph.  Radials fared better but if was something close to 30% reduction.  This was all tested at about 80% of the tires max weight.  The killer, they concluded, will not surprise you as it was the additional heat generated.

So I need ducting to my trailer tires like I have to my race car brakes....I like the way you think!

Brett85p wrote:

So I need ducting to my trailer tires like I have to my race car brakes....I like the way you think!

Or water cooling...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20708720/Carli_1.jpg

Maxxis 10ply ST Radial M8008 225/75/R15 TL15713000

Cheng Shin 4 Life!

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20708720/Carli_1.jpg

Maxxis 10ply ST Radial M8008 225/75/R15 TL15713000

Cheng Shin 4 Life!

$99 each free shipping on ebay with uspartsoutlet
Done and done!

ill second the good year marathons. most 10 ply radial trailer tires that are new and not dry rotted should give pretty good performance.

if your tires are only lasting a few thousand miles and don't have years of dry rot on them. find a place that will align trailers. i had this problem on a trailer would only get 3-4k miles out of a set of tires. at first glance they still looked great but would start blowing out, however they were wearing much faster on the inside edge. getting the trailer aligned cured the problem.

ezrider_92356 wrote:

ill second the good year marathons. most 10 ply radial trailer tires that are new and not dry rotted should give pretty good performance.

if your tires are only lasting a few thousand miles and don't have years of dry rot on them. find a place that will align trailers. i had this problem on a trailer would only get 3-4k miles out of a set of tires. at first glance they still looked great but would start blowing out, however they were wearing much faster on the inside edge. getting the trailer aligned cured the problem.

The cross plys wore in the middle like they are over inflated. I did have them close to max psi they are rated for.

with a 8k lb trailer weight on 15" rims i would not recommend dropping tire psi. as you are probably near the max load rating of your tires. even center wear across all the tires is not likely alignment. could be speed related. many trailer tire manufactures have not so much kept up with the times and many trailer tires are only speed rated for 55-65 mph. but truth is who tows at 55mph anymore. and the bias ply probably isn't helping.

i think the good year marathons witch i have used quite a bit are only 65mph rated but recommend 10psi over max cold inflation for speeds up to 75mph.

Towmax STR II 10 Ply E Load Radial Trailer Tires witch is also a good trailer iv used quite a bit has a 75mph speed rating. i think this is what i put on my trailer this time around and towed our car to barber on no visual wear on the tires after the trip and i put a couple thousand miles on them

i would put a good 10 ply radial tire on and see how it does monitor the wear and if they seem to be wearing fast again find a shop that can check the alignment. probably not ever tire place can do trailers though.

These arrived today, will see how they work out.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ldwpao.jpg

I was planning on keeping the best of the old cross plys as a spare and maybe buy another rim and keep two.
Any concerns around mixing radials and cross plys (in event of a flat) or should I get some more radials for spares?

I bought 5 new tires and just rotate the spare in like I would on a car so all 5 get used roughly equally.  You can use anything for a "get me to the tire shop" spare but I won't run mixed tires for a long distance.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

Alot of us are going to LT 8ply truck tires as many of the trailer tires anymore are chinese and just not as good.  LT truck tires have the capacity and durability at decent prices.