Topic: Alright... Give me anenclosed trailer rundown.

Our team has been around a while and has always looked "the part" of being well stocked with equipment.  We have traditionally had a 1 ton Dually and a 40' fifth wheel trailer.  The reality is, our core 3 owners don't own a truck or trailer.  We've always relied on other teammates who are also part owners of our team to loan the trailer or truck. It is now time we have access to our own rig so we are researching enclosed trailers.

I have pulled open and enclosed trailers with everything from a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton diesel.  I have pulled 17 ft open trailers, 24 ft closed bumper pull trailers and 40+ ft fifth wheel enclosed trailers with two cars.  The trailers we use have been fairly well used recently, so hard to decide on quality as they have lots of years and are stored outside.

I think we want this for a trailer...

24-28ft enclosed bumper pull

Dual torsion axle with electric brakes

A/C (or add on later)

LED lighting

Doesn't need to be Aluminum

Flexible on how interior is finished

New or Used

So.  What is realistic in the $6-10,000 range?  What brands to stay away from.

My sense was that Featherlite > Haulmark/Pace/Wells Cargo/Triton > off brands. Is that right?

Like I said. Lots of experience with pulling/using.  No experience with brands.

Are off-brand trailers found for $5K new garbage?

Thanks!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Re: Alright... Give me anenclosed trailer rundown.

Here's one that might be near by...a little spendy but some nice additions...  http://www.racingjunk.com/New-Trailers/ … AILER.html

racingjunk.com has lots of enclosed trailers

I bought a really cheap ($8000) new 20' featherlite in 2000.  I think it is a Featherlite in name only. Plywood floor, single wall, aluminum construction.  It weighs 3k and can carry 4k.  It tows great but the tire size/load rating is a little weak.  They are 205/R75/15.  I think a 265/17 would last longer.

Yeah.  I've looked through there quite a bit.  $13K is too much even split a couple ways.  Thanks.

All enclosed trailers are overloaded.  All overloaded trailers have wheel & tire issues.  Nothing goes as planned when your tires pop on the way to Lemons. 

Your decision to buy an enclosed trailer is solid.

This space for rent.

My advice is when you sell your enclosed trailer don't forget to file the release of liability. A trailer I sold years ago continues to cross bridges with it's new owner and I get dinged.

6 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2016-02-29 05:58 PM)

Thanks guys.  Leaning towards a 20' now.  Thinking of keeping the entourage as small as possible so I don't need a Kenworth to pull it, and we're cheap.

I read the thread on trailer tires.  So will make sure we have good radial tires.  Seems like all the trailers are only 15" tires, which sucks, as we like to pull our trailers at 70 mph and our big trailer had 17" tires and did fine with that.

We have to have enclosed.  It is our shelter when it decides to snow, sleet, hail and rain at Gingerman.

Being a guy who pulled an 8500-9000#, 24 enclosed trailer to and from Barber from Chicagoland I can say in all honesty, keep it under 8000#, learn how to load it, etc, etc.  You can pull it with a well set up 1/2 ton or older 3/4 ton.  You won't be carry much weight in the bed.  You will be averaging 60-65 mph but it is not actually that bad until you push the weight up.  1995 C2500 LD with a pre-vortec V8 and an NV3500 5-speed...and crappy 3.42 rear and my only real issue was brakes.

I am actually perfectly fine with spring axles.

24' "economy" trailers are often cheaper than 20' at least close to the trailer manufacturing meca of NE Indiana...certainly cheaper than 22' trailers with a 9-10K capacity.  Outfit how you like.

Get radials.  Be prepared to change out the tongue jack.  Pay for e-track low on the walls if it is an option.  Do everything else your way.

Thanks!!!! Good advice!

9 (edited by rodknox2 2016-02-29 08:50 PM)

I carry 2 spare tires.  Just last time on the way to Sears, I felt a strange recurring vibration in my seat.  So I stopped at the next tire shop.  Sure enough, 2 tires were separating.  I lucked out that time. 

20" is just enough.  Ours has a V front so we put a 36" tool box in that area.  We bought a matching overhead cabinet from HiWay products...I think.  We riveted stringers on single wall/ exposed stud sides.  The stringers are amazingly strong.  We tie our shop tool box to them.  There's also a bolt/washer/nut selection on the black tool box. oh, and pit pal cabinet, and a helmet bin.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7211/7328806742_0cfff625c7_z.jpgP6030082

I looked at picture.... and saw TV!!!! smile  Thanks for the additional thoughts.

rodknox2 wrote:

I carry 2 spare tires.  Just last time on the way to Sears, I felt a strange recurring vibration in my seat.  So I stopped at the next tire shop.  Sure enough, 2 tires were separating.  I lucked out that time. 

20" is just enough.  Ours has a V front so we put a 36" tool box in that area.  We bought a matching overhead cabinet from HiWay products...I think.  We riveted stringers on single wall/ exposed stud sides.  The stringers are amazingly strong.  We tie our shop tool box to them.  There's also a bolt/washer/nut selection on the black tool box. oh, and pit pal cabinet, and a helmet bin.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7211/7328806742_0cfff625c7_z.jpgP6030082

11 (edited by Brett85p 2016-03-01 07:36 AM)

I went with 24 with V nose and an extra foot taller than standard, it's a little overkill and in retrospect I should have brought a standard height 20 ft with V. My situation was I had the opportunity to save a bunch on delivery or buying local as one of the original Apocalyptic team members was driving up from Georgia and could deliver for me so i had to choose from the sales lot rather than custom build my own.

I used http://diamondcargo.com/ they are cheap and it shows a bit with the finish and overall attention to detail. Little things like two hubs had been overfilled with grease to the point they blew the rear seals out and coated the brakes in grease, fortunately one on each side so still had some brakes! But I got a whole lot of trailer for the money. Basically paid what a lot of 20 ft trailers were advertised for used for a new 24 ft.

One nice thing with the 24 ft is once the car is in and everything loaded there is still a good 4 foot of space to toss random stuff in like bikes, gas grill etc. I could properly park a golf cart or ATV in there with the race car if I needed to.

The V is nice, I added a bench at a height where I can roll carts under it and mounted a vice at a good working height. I have grand ideas to fit it out better but the race car keeps needing attention.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Good advice Brett.  Take a gander at our race recap vid if you get a chance.  See you at Gingerman!

Trailer purchased.   24' Stealth.  Bumper Pull. White.  Standard car trailer.   No A/C or any special add ins (we can do them later if we need to.  On lot. We pick up in Indiana.   $5100 with 3 yr warranty.

Tell us how we did wrong.  wink

14 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-03-06 08:55 AM)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Trailer purchased.   24' Stealth.  Bumper Pull. White.  Standard car trailer.   No A/C or any special add ins (we can do them later if we need to.  On lot. We pick up in Indiana.   $5100 with 3 yr warranty.

Tell us how we did wrong.  wink

Did you get the Radial upgrade?  Weight capacity?

I paid slightly ($5300) more but for a 10K trailer, "screwless" exterior....with crappy bias ply tires.  Stealth was my second choice but I suspect these value car hauler's all about preference and availability.

Edit:  Looks like a Stealth Express 8.5X24TA2.  If so, you biggest challenge is the 3500 # axles.  They come with 5-lug wheels so even with better tires later (stock radials!) the axle and wheel combo will limit you to about 3800# cargo.  If you car is about 2800#, that means only 1000# of spares, gear, tools, console TV's, paddock couches, etc.

Yep. Exactly. We actually made that as a conscious decision to go with a lower weight rating.  That will force us to bring only what we really need and not a whole 'nother car's worth of parts.  smile

Since we may. Need to pull with a half ton we are try to keep the weight down.

Car is 2500lbs.  We figure a 1000 lbs of stuff with it in the trailer.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Yep. Exactly. We actually made that as a conscious decision to go with a lower weight rating.  That will force us to bring only what we really need and not a whole 'nother car's worth of parts.  smile

Since we may. Need to pull with a half ton we are try to keep the weight down.

Car is 2500lbs.  We figure a 1000 lbs of stuff with it in the trailer.

Ok, I can help you with lighting and minimum 12V stuff you have to have as well as some suggestions on shore power/generator hook up.

Two of these light my trailer end to end enough to read anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QV0 … ge_o00_s00

This gives you USB ports and a lighter plus battery voltage.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QKD … ge_o00_s00

6 circuits for fused distribution.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMT … ge_o00_s00

Two ideas for a battery. One identical to what you use in you car in a box on the tongue...make it a big enough box for a tiny trickle charger as well.  Second idea is what I did...sealed trolling motor battery in the cabin.

Search ebay for "takeoffs" of steel wheels with radials for your spare.

You might consider upgrading the diff lube.  I put some major wear on a f 150's diff pulling the 20'.

If we are talking tow vehicles, do not discount the conversion van or Suburban. 

Yukon/Suburban 1500's are dirt cheap, comfortable and need only have a brake controller and preferably air bags added.  Even toothless Joe the corner mechanic knows how to work on them.

Vans...conversion vans have a value of about $3 after they are driven off the lot....by 10 years old they are worth $1.50.  Sure, most are 1/2 ton models but even if you have to swap the rear and add bags, you are at like $801.50.

Negatives to no bed space are real but all can be overcome if no one needs a truck in their daily life.  Fuel can go on a hitch mounted carrier.  the grill can go in the trailer.

5.3 1/2 ton GMC Sierra with airbags works fine for me.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I find this thread informative. Good stuff gents

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

I shopped around for a while, actually bought the trailer before the truck. I found a 20' interior -22-24' overall enclosed for $4500 in Nor Cal, but off in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. I used www.searchtempest.com to search Craigslist on the west coast. 20' interior works good. More room and you'll carry more stuff.

Its rated for #7K, but the Tare weight it 3500# and with the 2700# valiant and my tool box and all the spares and tires and , and , and, it was probably always overloaded a bit. The tires were original, and D range and I've managed to ruin everyone of them and the spare. I'm buyin E rate tires now. As noted, learn how to load it so its balanced., and try not to carry so much crap, or put some of it in the truck. I tow it with a 99 F-250 dually, gas. Should have found an early 90s F-250 diesel. Plenty of those 80-90's 7.3l F250s floating around as ex 5th wheel tow trucks.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

One thing I will add since others might be considering "marginal" tow vehicles in regards to suspension, this made towing near the max on my truck not a big deal (except for marginal brakes) even when being passed by semi's at high speed...an inexpensive weight distributing hitch.  The anti-sway bit has proven to be less useful but this hitch...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SB … amp;sr=1-1

...kept me from getting into a dutch roll situation or multiple bucking type oscillations even thought the front springs were sagged out (fixed after the first couple of tows) and the rears were propped up with air shocks.  The trailer outweighed my almost 1/4 million mile light duty 3/4 ton 2:1 and other than some situations where the "hinge" effect was greater than the trailer ground clearance at speed, never had a real uncomfortable situation.

Thanks for all the advice guys.  Our list of "to do's" is getting lengthy.  We have been looking at e-track and accessories.  The lighting options are good ideas.  Lots of light is essential

As for the tow vehicle, we'd love to always have access to a 1-ton diesel.  If that doesn't happen, we will always be pulling with a truck.  The size will vary, but we will be trying to avoid 1/2 tons.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Thanks for all the advice guys.  Our list of "to do's" is getting lengthy.  We have been looking at e-track and accessories.  The lighting options are good ideas.  Lots of light is essential

As for the tow vehicle, we'd love to always have access to a 1-ton diesel.  If that doesn't happen, we will always be pulling with a truck.  The size will vary, but we will be trying to avoid 1/2 tons.

I thought I wanted e-track.  I installed some.  I tend to just install the 500# d-rings from Menards with 2, 1/4" self-drillers wherever I need them into a wall stud and use those.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardw … 1595210664

The truth is, our load has changed ever time we have rigged up.  It will stabilize at some point but d-rings are cheap and if you excel at Tetris'ing your shit like I do, you can load out 3K in spares and tools with 4 straps and some bungees (mostly to keep doors closed).

E-Track is WAY expensive for what it offers.  Cool, configurable and screams "we know what we are doing" but in the end...none of use know what we are doing.

OnkelUdo wrote:

One thing I will add since others might be considering "marginal" tow vehicles in regards to suspension, this made towing near the max on my truck not a big deal (except for marginal brakes) even when being passed by semi's at high speed...an inexpensive weight distributing hitch.  The anti-sway bit has proven to be less useful but this hitch...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SB … amp;sr=1-1

...kept me from getting into a dutch roll situation or multiple bucking type oscillations even thought the front springs were sagged out (fixed after the first couple of tows) and the rears were propped up with air shocks.  The trailer outweighed my almost 1/4 million mile light duty 3/4 ton 2:1 and other than some situations where the "hinge" effect was greater than the trailer ground clearance at speed, never had a real uncomfortable situation.

I'll second this. We started using one a couple years ago and it takes 90% of the nervous wiggles out of towing the trailer.