Re: Alright... Give me anenclosed trailer rundown.

But I see all the gadgetry and I get all excited.  There are flip down shelves.  Cross stabilizer bars that can be made into a cot or larger shelves.  It just looks fun to play with. 

We could care less about appearance.  smile

OnkelUdo wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Thanks for all the advice guys.  Our list of "to do's" is getting lengthy.  We have been looking at e-track and accessories.  The lighting options are good ideas.  Lots of light is essential

As for the tow vehicle, we'd love to always have access to a 1-ton diesel.  If that doesn't happen, we will always be pulling with a truck.  The size will vary, but we will be trying to avoid 1/2 tons.

I thought I wanted e-track.  I installed some.  I tend to just install the 500# d-rings from Menards with 2, 1/4" self-drillers wherever I need them into a wall stud and use those.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardw … 1595210664

The truth is, our load has changed ever time we have rigged up.  It will stabilize at some point but d-rings are cheap and if you excel at Tetris'ing your shit like I do, you can load out 3K in spares and tools with 4 straps and some bungees (mostly to keep doors closed).

E-Track is WAY expensive for what it offers.  Cool, configurable and screams "we know what we are doing" but in the end...none of use know what we are doing.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

I would not stand between a man and his method of entertainment.

I responded to this thread way back when, but it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

I've got a V neck Featherlight 24' enclosed.  Started life with something cheaper, and the roof caved in under the snow one winter (I lived in Mass at the time).  The seller told me I was supposed to shovel it.  WTF?  Sold that to a guy who was moving to Arizona, where presumably you don't have to shovel snow off the roof of your enclosed trailer every winter, and bought a Featherlight with nice strong roof stringers.

Then I moved to California, where you don't have to shovel snow off the roof of your trailer every winter.

Two upgrades I'm glad I ordered:

1) Heavy weight axles.  Sorry, but I think the notion of downsizing, to force yourself to pack light, is not very bright.  Much better to have a system that's under stressed.  I upgraded from twin 3500 lb axles to twin 5500 lb axles.

2) Got a raised floor.  This allows even low slung cars to open the doors without hitting the inner wheel fenders.  That, and a drivers side trailer door, make a huge difference in getting in and out of the car in the trailer.

bs

29 (edited by offroadr12 2016-03-18 06:20 AM)

NSF wrote:

All enclosed trailers are overloaded.  All overloaded trailers have wheel & tire issues.  Nothing goes as planned when your tires pop on the way to Lemons. 

Your decision to buy an enclosed trailer is solid.

This is not true.  All trailers are not overloaded, smart racers plan and use trailers within capacities.  There is alot of good trailer info on Yellowbullet.com related to axles, rims, and tires.  I did alot of research before I ordered mine.  I have a '28 with upgraded 7200lb dual axle  with 16 wheels

Any racer  that carries serious weight knows what happens to tires and plans around that.  I say that as I carry over 5k in mine and can run 75mph wit no issues. (not Lemons but my drag car)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/offroadr/chevelle/IMG_20140512_125533_982_zpsgxfymvux.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/offroadr/chevelle/IMG_20140513_212051_912_zpsqthtgw6e.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/offroadr/chevelle/IMG_20140513_212104_505_zpsxcdqqdqx.jpg

The Lemons car coming home lol
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/offroadr/Lemons/IMG_20160311_170447809_HDR_zpshc9etp6l.jpg

I can help with trailer questions, brands, options, etc.  I had mine custom built

I never said we were bright. wink

As for packing light.... We've packed for about 20 races and about 8 we brought two cars.   We brought supplies for a 6 man team and 20 person entourage.  We've included compressors, welders, 3 large jacks, many extra sets of tires, 15 jugs of fuel, tool chests, cots, canopies... You name it.  It was quite the ordeal.  We were usually one of the first teams in the paddock and often the last out of the paddock. 

Now we want to pack efficient.  Just the crap we really need.  Only one car.  No food supplies for an army.  Just the tools we need.  Went from air powered to electric tools. 

The plan is to let this be the trailer we learn on, use it for 1-2 years, sell it and then upgrade to something better. 

Truth be told, budget often dictates our needs vs wants.

bshorey wrote:

I responded to this thread way back when, but it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

I've got a V neck Featherlight 24' enclosed.  Started life with something cheaper, and the roof caved in under the snow one winter (I lived in Mass at the time).  The seller told me I was supposed to shovel it.  WTF?  Sold that to a guy who was moving to Arizona, where presumably you don't have to shovel snow off the roof of your enclosed trailer every winter, and bought a Featherlight with nice strong roof stringers.

Then I moved to California, where you don't have to shovel snow off the roof of your trailer every winter.

Two upgrades I'm glad I ordered:

1) Heavy weight axles.  Sorry, but I think the notion of downsizing, to force yourself to pack light, is not very bright.  Much better to have a system that's under stressed.  I upgraded from twin 3500 lb axles to twin 5500 lb axles.

2) Got a raised floor.  This allows even low slung cars to open the doors without hitting the inner wheel fenders.  That, and a drivers side trailer door, make a huge difference in getting in and out of the car in the trailer.

bs

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.