26 (edited by ross2004 2016-03-07 10:03 AM)

Re: Trapped in a Burning Racecar

Me too- momentary on/off "prime" switch.

ross2004 wrote:

You guys are running your electric fuel pumps through something like an oil pressure sensor, right?

Nope. Our fuel pressure is our oil pressure, to the extent that this concept has any meaning. It's one of the many* joys of running a two-stroke.

*Few**.

**Mostly just the one.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

FWIW, driver of the car believes that it was a fuel cell install in the car, as he just confirmed to me in a reply to an FB post on the topic.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtmffZV … e=youtu.be

Some additional footage of the car fire

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

crashandburn wrote:

Mostly of the fence.  wink

bs

I'm surprised the Medics hung out with the driver so close to the car right afterwards. 

Also, it is clear they need some bigger hoses.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

bshorey wrote:
crashandburn wrote:

Mostly of the fence.  wink

bs

Not my video!  :-)

I was in the pits when this went down!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
Work in Progress

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

I'm surprised the Medics hung out with the driver so close to the car right afterwards. 

Also, it is clear they need some bigger hoses.

Yea, they definitely could have used more power!...Like a foam truck or something!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
Work in Progress

What a cluster...parked too close....no SCBAs....no turn outs...no foam...probably no training

Just spraying all the Extinguisher chemical away immediately after they shoot it.

The water hoses were clearly doing very little if anything. You need to smother a Fuel/Oil fire, Water just makes it dance around.

You use the water after the fire is good and dead to cool everything off.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Enough water will cool the reaction enough to stop it.
That was clearly not enough water.
Or, just enough to help spread the fuel

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

rodknox2 wrote:

What a cluster...parked too close....no SCBAs....no turn outs...no foam...probably no training

Not even any helmets on the firefighters! We aren't allowed to fuel a non-burning car without visor-down helmets but here these guys are fighting a fully engulfed vehicle wearing just some suits, no helmets. Yikes.

Thank you for your efforts, fire fighter guys, but take better care of your delicate flesh! I don't want to read about "burned while putting out fire from around guy that was trapped in a burning race car."

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

38 (edited by Spank 2016-03-08 07:17 PM)

FWIW, when that video was initially shared here it's status with youtube was "private" rather than public (it was a shared link), so not so sure how long it will last up there once COTA Lawyers see it up.

That video link still works for me.

Holy moly. I'm surprised at the all-over-ness of that firefight and the lack of head-gear, too. That was an enormous fire. sad

I just swung over to thier forum ...their promoter thinks that fire was handled in a professional way with trained personnel.  COTA gave those responders a single layer fire suit, a pair of gloves and what amounted to a squirt bottle and said have at it.

Our responders in LeMons-west wear their turn outs for the entire race and have a proper fire truck.

The medium well roasted driver would tend to indicate a less than ideal response.

That fire was handled with pure amatuer enthusiasm and not professional preparation.  A 200'ish gal water tank and a 100gpm pump would be a far better setup than that flimsy shit that's barely adequate for a methanol fire on a go-kart from hell Indy/formula car.  S/F...Ken M

The COTA Firemen were still way better than the ones at TWS.  When my car was going up in flames, they pulled up in the fire truck, but someone forgot to fill it with water!

I swear I heard the Benny Hill Theme song playing as I watch them try to put my car out!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
Work in Progress

rodknox2 wrote:

I just swung over to thier forum ...their promoter thinks that fire was handled in a professional way with trained personnel.  COTA gave those responders a single layer fire suit, a pair of gloves and what amounted to a squirt bottle and said have at it.

Our responders in LeMons-west wear their turn outs for the entire race and have a proper fire truck.

The cynical lawyer might note that the other promoter has a quite vested interest in defending COTA in every way, shape and form, since he very likely has a duty to indemnify COTA from any damages or claims. I wouldn't be surprised if the medical insurer seeks subrogation on the medical bills from the other series' insurance policy and/or COTA's policy. The cynical lawyer also would note that most other cynical lawyers would tell anybody in mgmt at the other series to STFU about this because it's either in litigation or pending litigation and your own self-serving words can be used against you when you decide someday that you need to assert a claim against the venue for its failure to satisfy its contractual and/or common-law duties. Running at the mouth has a tendency to cut off future avenues of escape, and a concomitant increase in cost. But then again, I'm a cynic, so take that for what it's worth.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

So the next part is up. And as much as I respected his first part, I equally dislike with this one.

http://sopwithmotorsports.com/blog/shor … ences.html

Actually, it's not really what he's saying that I disagree with, but more how he's saying it. I agree, more regulation isn't needed, we have enough. You can't regulate out freak accidents. However. I truly feel his message should have focused more on promoting racer education and safety training. His situation could have had a better outcome if he had done his prep work and been prepared. That's the message that should come out of this.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I work in Health Insurance and I can tell you that even if no other legal action takes place the injured driver's health insurance plan will try to recover costs from the track's insurance company thru subrogation. That could result in legal action if the costs are large enough, the health insurer thinks there is a solid claim against the track’s insurance, and the track’s health insurance refuses to reimburse the health insurance company.

I don’t think controlling the narrative on negligence in the fire crew’s response would play into that insurance interaction unless it was so bad that the driver sued the track. In that case the driver will just get screwed because the health insurance company gets all their costs covered from what the driver wins in the case before he gets anything. I know when this happens with car crashes the driver normally ends up with a small fraction of the award while the insurance company gets most of it.

Wait so is his argument "If i wasn't forced to wear a harness I could have gotten out of the car faster!"

WOW.

His personal responsibility was to learn how to quickly egress the car from a fully strapped in position. If he couldn't do that, why does he think we should just leave the decision to use a harness AT ALL up to the individual?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

TheEngineer wrote:

So the next part is up. And as much as I respected his first part, I equally dislike with this one.

http://sopwithmotorsports.com/blog/shor … ences.html

Actually, it's not really what he's saying that I disagree with, but more how he's saying it. I agree, more regulation isn't needed, we have enough. You can't regulate out freak accidents. However. I truly feel his message should have focused more on promoting racer education and safety training. His situation could have had a better outcome if he had done his prep work and been prepared. That's the message that should come out of this.

Agreed.  I lost him on this one.  Yes, in this instance a safety net and harness slowed him down.  So harnesses should be optional?  I guess if you know your car will only ever burn, and not crash, then yeah, you could focus on fire safety.  But regulations exist to enforce some minimal level of standards to protect you from things that are likely to happen on a race track.  The fact that one of them happens, and not the other, doesn't mean you were over protected in the wrong area.

This guy should have stopped at blog entry #2, and gone back to practicing how to use the equipment in his car.

bs

I'm inclined to give him a bit of leeway on this.  Burns are very painful.  So either he's in a significant amount of pain or ingesting a significant amount of painkillers.  Either way, he probably shouldn't be blogging right now. 

What I read into this (and posted elsewhere) is that he does have a point. Every accident does not require a new set of rules. Not apples to apples but in the period after the Earnhardt death a lot of sanctioning bodies required HnR devices. USAC shortly afterwards saw a huge increase in broken shoulder blade type injuries. Turns out that HANS does more damage than good when you flip a sprint car. Rule was well meaning but not well thought out. Right idea, wrong application. Rule has been rescinded since then.

I think the point he is trying to make is don't use his accident as an excuse to make more rules unless they are well considered.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I think the point he is trying to make is don't use his accident as an excuse to make more rules unless they are well considered.

Right, and I agree with this point. But the way he delivered it was horrendous. I know what he was trying to say, I even see how he got to the wording he used. But god the way it's written is terrible.

It should have been an article on how the existing rules already cover 90% of possible dangers. How his incident should not be used to try and regulate more. And finally a huge section on what he personally learned and plans to do to prepare for the next time he gets in a car.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Stephen Cox-sopwithmotorsports.com wrote:

If our ideas are good, we won't have to force others to practice them. They'll do it on their own. And if we have to force people to accept our ideas, then perhaps our ideas aren't that good in the first place.

Sounds like an endorsement for the simplicity of the Lemons rule book - and go look at rule 3.F.4 and 3.F.6!  smile   Had they been followed the outcome would have been at least _slightly better - maybe?

The paradox here is that ideas aren't 'good' in a vacuum, so _someone_ needs to practice them (as mentioned above in the HnR/Sprint car post) first.  Someone has to be the test pilot...

And, how the heck would rookies like me know that it's a 'good idea' to encase the fuel lines in the cockpit, seal the firewall penetrations fully, and practise bailout _without_ some form of positive or negative encouragement?  I'll take succinct or verbose 'rules' based on someone else's painful experiences any day, especially if there's a pointback or a citation as to _why_ we're jumping through hoops.

On the constructive side, this sounds like a fuel-line break at the firewall penetration, where a bracket may have worn through the line - was this mentioned elsewhere - and who of us has checked our hoopties at the brackets, p-clips, and factory brazes for wear through or fracture?