Topic: Used Metal sales in CA?

I referred a friend to a place I buy used metal from and he just informed me that (paraphrasing) nobody is allowed to sell used scrap metal in California anymore because of storm runoff regulations.

I just bought metal from them 2 weeks ago-- they claimed they were having a "moving sale" and I got 100lbs at $.25 / lb

anyone else hear anything about this? I can't find anything online, but my google-fu is weak right now.

I'm thinking it is just this particular location not having a license to resell used metal. Apparently they aren't taking in used metal anymore, either.

Re: Used Metal sales in CA?

It's Cali, it could mean almost anything. Maybe it causes cancer?

There's a racing parts supplier in MI that includes a slip of paper with every shipment that reads something like "The state of California had determined that this substance may cause cancer."

3 (edited by fleming95 2016-03-24 02:44 PM)

Coincidentally, I was walking by the salvage area at my job yesterday and was watching the junkmaster push scrap metal into a hopper off of a forklift, with another forklift.

(These were four chunks of newly (mis?)machined stainless about 30" x 16" x 4".  They made a very satisfying 'thunk' going into the hopper).

I asked about putting them on the external racks right next door - they were solid chunks with some tapped holes and such on the edges.

'Nope, the inside is full - if any rain hits these the stormwater guys will have our heads.'.

<soapbox>

Yes, this is in California.  Yes, these pieces were clean, maybe even cleaned for vacuum.  Yes, the rainy season is over.  And, yes, these chunks will be given away and a >$1k profit turned by someone else. 

No, it makes no rational sense.  Carry on regardless!

Scanning this Powerpoint on "Sector Specific General Permit for Scrap Metal Recycling Facilities (Order No R8-2012-0012, NPDES No. CAG 618001)" - http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/rwqcb8/wa … tation.pdf - you can see why companies with scrap metal to get rid of may not want to sell it. It may turn them into scrap metal dealers and trigger all this stuff.

Also note the domain - waterboards.ca.gov - maybe that's part of the punishment for not following procedures.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Hate to break it to the turkeys in Sacramento, but it isn't going to rain again there, so I think the danger is overblown smile

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Had an issue with the storage of antique fire engine parts about 2 years back.  The city environmental enforcer made us cover them.  Remember guys, "we" voted for this.