Re: Hell on wheels rally

I got a peek at the entry list for the rally. This is gonna be highly entertaining, although I will likely miss the festivities in person.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Type44 wrote:
Laminar wrote:

Those of you that have seen the route - what's the on-road/off-road ratio here? Any gravel or rough terrain?

My understanding is that it's all pavement, at least if there are any unpacked segments... I'll be rerouting to use paved routes. I'm not gravel-staging 4100 lbs of Jaguar. Even I have my limits of foolishness.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20708720/Jeremy_Clarkson_in_a_Jaguar_XJS_Celebration_model-634x475.jpg

Come on, remember when James Garner raced Baja in a Cutlass, you'll be fine. Take it from Jezza.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Nikkormat wrote:

Is a passenger required?

From what I gather, passengers are allowed, perhaps even encouraged, but not required.

jimmystikx wrote:

How bad would the points deduction be for showing up with a daily beater that I'd be sleeping in the back of?

Actually, the rules indicate positive points will be awarded "for hooptieness of driver...." I'd imagine that may count.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Well, the safe bet is my truck,  the crazy idea is get my Yamaha xs1100 road worthy again an drape a couple boat bags over the back for extra fuel and sleep in random camp sites.....

hi, new here....my brother signed us up for the rally. Now I have to get the new Edsel to run. It doesn't seem to have much compression, so maybe it'll get a ring job. on the plus side, it has a working starter, distributor, carburetor, and valvetrain.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

mharrell wrote:
DawgStrip wrote:

Finally we found an event we can take our Hamster to ! Payment sent and we're in !

Outstanding! I assume you don't have anything as superfluous as a top for that fine ride? It's not likely to rain much anyway.

erm, ever driven in death valley in august?

"rally" haha -- more accurately, it's a 6000 foot hillclimb in 115F weather. AZ folk will be better prepared than most...

i do a lot of desert driving in the summer in wackjob cars, and even i'm afraid of the weather...

therood wrote:

I got a peek at the entry list for the rally.

Is there an entry list posted that we can view?

58 (edited by tomicdesu 2016-05-24 09:41 AM)

fleming95 wrote:

Sounds like it's perfect for those of us who long for the 'balmy' climate of summer Buttonwillow races. . .

indeed

This is right in my wheelhouse having completed several CA to IN trips in various Italian, British, American, German, and Japanese hoopties over the years. Alas I will be having my first kid that weekend. If it happens again, I'll see you guys next year with either a Jag or the old Dodge truck.

MDG wrote:

This is right in my wheelhouse having completed several CA to IN trips in various Italian, British, American, German, and Japanese hoopties over the years. Alas I will be having my first kid that weekend. If it happens again, I'll see you guys next year with either a Jag or the old Dodge truck.

Please be a Jaguar.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

For those of you seeking a car that looks certain to leave you to die on the side of the road but probably won't:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=33183

It has "rally" "provenance".  The AC even worked the last time it had refrigerant in it.

It's in the Bay Area, it's registered through 2017, and I could be convinced to store it until August.

Scott

My wife started ordering theme materials. Shirts are here. Guess I'd better get my ass in gear on the Thing.

It's a short list:
tires
suspension
engine cooling
brakes
front seats
exhaust
bimini top

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

Fraidy Cat Racing checking in. 

Figured I'd give you all a preview of utter domination we are planning.  Prepare to be whelmed. 

https://youtu.be/x3hHtItYbp8

FraidyCaptain wrote:

Fraidy Cat Racing checking in. 

Figured I'd give you all a preview of utter domination we are planning.  Prepare to be whelmed. 

https://youtu.be/x3hHtItYbp8

Surreal to watch the very car I used to DD being hooned around by someone else.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

For what its worth, Alan semi daily-drives it as well.

Damn, I thought our shakedown run to Tucson and back at 80 plus was impressive. I'm not worried about the cooling system anymore. (It was 108F today) I still have to pull the gas tank again to replace the cracked flange on top. Maybe the pound will devalue further before I order smile Jag parts have never been cheaper ...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

It has been decided! Even though is was made after 2000, has AC and leather, I feel a Lemons Rally will need representation of the most versatile vehicle ever created!
What makes it worthy of Lemons...
1) Its a Pontiac with 170+K miles (true mileage unknown as the GM cluster stopped working)
2) It's a GM V6 with Versatrak, so reliability is questionable!
3) It's Theme-Ready as Walter Whites dream Chariot. (I'm the one who knocks)
4) Its being converted to promote in-motion sleeping (Read too damn cheap to pay for hotels)
5) And besides, how many other Lemons have a tent attachment? Concour de Lemons in Luxury!

If we can get the aztek to make it, its gonna be epic!
Leaving the East coast on August 5
http://onelapfordogs.com/aztek.JPG

Brian Gomez
2018 Great Lakes Mistake Dune Buggy Thing - 2018 Retreat from Moscow: 1979 Lemons Chevette - 2017 Retreat from Moscow: 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura - 2016 Hell On Wheels Car Weeeeeaaaaaaaakkkk: 2003 Pontiac Aztek Breaking Bad!

That should be quite a trip!

If, for some reason, the Lemons Rally isn't enough of a challenge for you, here is another opportunity:
https://theawl.com/the-worlds-dumbest-g … .oj93yx7pw

"Every summer, hundreds of thrill-seekers flock to Goodwood Motor Circuit, a historic race track in the south of England. They gather, dressed in themeless costumes, to participate in what some refer to as the greatest adventure in the world. No training or planning is required or even recommended, so participants are as young as eighteen and have been as old as seventy. Their ranks include penniless students, successful business types, and some that are “in between jobs.” But for a month and half, they all share a common goal: get to Mongolia. They’re participating in the Mongol Rally, a 10,000-mile journey in comically unreliable cars from the UK to a city in eastern Siberia.

There are no prizes for being first across the finish line. Instead, teams are encouraged to one-up each other to see who can complete the Rally under the toughest conditions. Anyone can drive a quarter of the way around the world in a Range Rover; it takes a certain industriousness to do it in a vehicle that would qualify for Cash for Clunkers. The Mongol Rally’s website tells teams:

“You must bring the shittiest rolling turd of a car you can find. Use a car you swapped for a bag of crisps.”

That sounds like it is made for us!

My only problem is getting the Super Snipe to England in time for the July 17th start.
I'm afraid that Her Majesty's Customs will say something like, "We thought we got rid of that piece of crap 50 years ago!"

On the other hand, if I have to abandon it halfway to Mongolia, it won't be any great loss.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

EU countries are pretty lenient about letting you drive your car around on foreign (even non-EU) plates. So long as it's registered and insured and you're a non-resident. I think the UK is up to six months.

71 (edited by brattesani 2016-07-17 04:27 PM)

well, I got scared and made my 1 interior mod...  https://s31.postimg.org/nw7wypnh7/IMG_20160717_160531.jpg

-zep

72 (edited by squirrel 2016-07-17 05:14 PM)

that's a mistake...you want to keep the C...H gauge, (or better yet, idiot lights) , then you won't get hyper about the numbers.

Is that the 61 chevy we saw in a previous google earth picture?

Proof that it did indeed sit in one spot for literal years.

also me and my co-pilot are coming in full theme to this, so other people better as well.

https://s32.postimg.org/vd2f613at/IMG_20160717_181302.jpg

less than a month away!

I took the Edsel for a drive into town today, worked fine. I can't wait to get on the road to California, and find the weak links....

Whoops, going the wrong direction.  Engine overhaul.  Leakdown ranged from 35 to 65%.

https://scontent.fhsv1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13567110_632105923611047_2565116406729270971_n.jpg?oh=8b610db315f440f4bf84b1c495efb06d&oe=582F5677

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014