Topic: Professionals in Lemons

I have been hearing stories of professional drivers like Randy Probst and Tommy Kendall in Lemons for a while.
Kinda curious how many professional race mechanics or pro race teams are out there.
Im a professional cheater in Trans Am TA2 and figured there has got to be others that like working on crapcans outside of "real" racecars.

Also how much Lemons technology makes it backwards to work cars?? Lol

Pic for relevance

http://i.imgur.com/DN2wssO.jpg

Re: Professionals in Lemons

IMO, your question is definitely more relevant than a census of how many pro drivers there are slumming in our area of amatuer motorsports.

For Lemons racing, I'd speculate that having a professional mechanic is more valuable for a team than a professional driver.
After all, a Juan Pablo Montoya still needs to contend with all the non-professional driving shlubs on the track (and of course the occasional Dave Montoyas).

If I had a guess, I'd say a sizable number (if not the majority) of the teams that race in some of the biggest west coast races have at least one professional mechanic on the team - but I doubt that there are more than a handful of professional RACE mechanics that are into Lemons at all  (just because there aren't that many of you). After all, the number of people who work on cars and are actually car repair/racing enthusiasts is probably far higher than the # of people who are car repair/racing enthusiasts but also happen be dog catchers as a day job (although given the sheer # of people who have raced in Lemons, there has to be at least one).

One more Q for Lemons HQ: how many people have ever raced in Lemons?
I'm guessing that number has to be well over 100K by now.
Regards,
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

The Mock Grass Racing car was originally owned by a NASCAR crew, I just forget which one.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

My impression after 6 years and 20 or so races is that there is, on average, usually at least one professional driver at each race.

Our team has a professional mechanic, and he is as valuable to our success as our drivers.

The interesting thing to me is how many guys are walking around with SCCA or NASA patches on their suits. 

Ultimately, this series is flat out fun for any level of competitor.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

I know that a group of mechanics who worked for Riley & Scott racing built a car a few years ago. Don't know which car,  a friend who worked for the team  mentioned it to me.

FPRbuzz wrote:

The Mock Grass Racing car was originally owned by a NASCAR crew, I just forget which one.

They were from the Jimmy Johnson Lowes team and I think the guy worked in the shop for a little while

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

I guess why we don't have more in there is because of contract issues that won't allow them to put themselves in any other hazardous risk, but alas who knows. I did stand next to the fence talking to John Andretti one day at CMP

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Weren't the Pratt and Miller guys the ones who tried to slip in some cheaty car with fancy asslifters and ended up being one of only two cars that have ever been claimed?
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/17-24-Hours-of-LeMons-claimer-rule-Picture-courtesy-of-Murilee-Martin-626x426.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/yes-24-hou … heres-why/

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

We have plenty of pros racing in Lemons. It turns out that having one or two very fast drivers on a team isn't such a great advantage in Lemons, because raw lap times don't help as much as good team organization. Actually, it turns out that pro drag racers do all right in Lemons, because they're good at the wrenching and general organizational stuff.

What does help is when you have a pro crew whose members are used to working together, which has happened from time to time with NASCAR pros from Charlotte coming down to CMP. For example, when Gary Nelson showed up at CMP with a Crown Vic and an all-teenager driver crew, they ran away with Class B thanks to the zero-mistakes operation they had going on (plus the fact that nobody recognized Nelson, nor did anyone realize that those 17-year-olds were all genetically engineered racing monsters who drove the way they were ordered to drive).

Zach Veach (Andretti Indy Lights now with another team) drove with us at Barber in 2015 where he holds the indy lights track record. It just happened that we had one of the fastest cars on the track, Marc's V6 MR2. He had a blast and was a cool addition to the team, lap times were ridiculously fast, still around 4 seconds a lap faster than any Lemons or Chump car has been around that track. He also drove the Accord fast and clean and I would race with him again anytime.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

In general, I only consider those whose primary form of income is from racing as professionals.  There are a lot of people who race but the number of people who actually make their living from it is fairly small.  And a lot of them don't have free time on the weekends when we are racing because they are working.
Cory Kruseman is a open wheel guy who races and owns a driving school.  He's driven my car in the past.   He really, really enjoys it.  Chris Dyson runs his dirt cars from time to time and he's said he'd really like to do Lemons.   JJ Yeley wants to drive with us when his schedule allows.  He gets a big kick out of hearing what we've built.  Shaggy at TRD thinks we're nuts but thinks the series is great.  He tried to get some technical help from within Toyota when Spank was building the ToyoHog.  Joe Custer at Stewart-Haas told me he made the guys sell their LeChump car (chevy station wagon I believe) because it was drawing focus off the cars they get paid to work on.  In general, whether those guys are driving or crewing, it's their job to do that.  It's a grind to race week in and week out.  Not a lot of them are having a ton of fun doing it but they get paid well.  You wave something like Lemons under their nose and it looks like the opening scene from a Jackass movie.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

edchap13 wrote:

Also how much Lemons technology makes it backwards to work cars?? Lol

The Jagvair drivetrain is becoming so familiar, I might transplant one into my '51 Chevy 3100. Then I can get booed at car shows also.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

13 (edited by therood 2016-04-13 10:52 AM)

jimbbski wrote:

I know that a group of mechanics who worked for Riley & Scott racing built a car a few years ago. Don't know which car,  a friend who worked for the team  mentioned it to me.

It was the BoomPowSurprise Ford Probe. Bill Riley and Peter Baron, among others, won the 2010 season-ending 24-hour race on New Year's Eve in Palm Beach with it. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a ringer or two in the car with them. Not sure who the guy next to Riley is in the picture below.

http://www.murileemartin.com/LM10/LM10-077.jpg

http://www.murileemartin.com/LM10/LM10-269.jpg

They built a second Probe, then Riley and Jeff Braun built matching Miatas for ChumpCar, which they still race. Bill Riley, by the way, is part of ChumpCar's board of directors, for whatever that's worth.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I've had 2 GT Academy finalists drive my car, Andre Gomes and Nick Barbato.  Barbato still does drive with us and is working towards a world challenge drive.  Nick's uncle Bob Doyle has driven our car as well, he is an IMSA driver and won the 6 hours of the Glen in GTD a few years ago.  Both Nick and Bob will be back in the car at Loudon probably.  And I have the head mechanic from CCC Manhattan, GJ Dixon, who is a multi time national champ AutoXer and won Chevy Rev it up national championship, he has been with the team since day 1.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

The PEAK Mustang guys had a few pro drivers run with them in Lemons, too. When it was the Little Douche Coupe, Cruz Pedragon raced it and I think Danica Patrick's dad might have been on the team? Not sure about that last part.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LIL11/LIL11-UG-0004.jpg

Also, one of the drivers of this extremely janky Pontiac Grand Am was an old USAC racer who raced in the Indianapolis 500. And when I mean "old," I mean the guy was like 82. I couldn't tell you his name for the life of me, but when the younger guys on the team told me who it was and I had never heard of him, they looked like I'd killed their parents or something. This might be the hooptiest car I've seen in Lemons, BTW. The rear suspension had literally no travel at all. Like zero. As you can see, it rained in this race, so this car was a serious Penalty Box recidivist, including the octogenarian Indy racer.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LAI12/103-AmericanIrony12-UG.jpg

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

16 (edited by therood 2016-04-13 11:07 AM)

The guy who ran the PEAK/Douche Coupe was an Indy engineer of some repute, also, I recall. His name is Eric and, again, his last name escapes me entirely.

EDIT: His name is Eric Debord and he co-founded Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, apparently.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

17 (edited by coolhand454 2016-04-13 11:53 AM)

therood wrote:

The guy who ran the PEAK/Douche Coupe was an Indy engineer of some repute, ...

That is surprising because just about every race I see it in the car was in the paddock spot barely running.

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

18 (edited by dale.furno 2016-04-13 01:38 PM)

therood wrote:

The guy who ran the PEAK/Douche Coupe was an Indy engineer of some repute, also, I recall. His name is Eric and, again, his last name escapes me entirely.

EDIT: His name is Eric Debord and he co-founded Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, apparently.

I'd be upset if I were a co founder and didn't get my name in the team name.

though the story does check out http://www.dreyerreinboldracing.com/team.aspx

and they have an impressive driver lineup.

I also forgot about Fairlylame. They've got Tad Merriman who is an engine engineer at Hendrick.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

There are two professional race drivers who got paid for driving in Lemons. Tanner Foust and The Stig (I'm assuming there's a pro in there) when Top Gear USA ran at Sonoma in December.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

21 (edited by Spank 2016-04-13 02:13 PM)

Then there's This Guy

I think he'll say the highlight of his career was passing Tsog's SIMCA at Road America

Or maybe it was push-starting a Porsche

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/russian239/2012-08-21_10-04-10_424_crop.jpg

billybobster wrote:

There are two professional race drivers who got paid for driving in Lemons. Tanner Foust and The Stig (I'm assuming there's a pro in there) when Top Gear USA ran at Sonoma in December.

"Ran" at Sonoma.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:
billybobster wrote:

"Ran" at Sonoma.

If you mean they didn't try very hard... 'tis true. I was disappointed. Made me question the whole concept of "reality" shows. They seemed so real... to me.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Then there's This Guy
I think he'll say this will be the highlight of his career

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/12341088_10201107253999448_6162693600841968901_n_zps1oktnegy.jpg

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

billybobster wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
billybobster wrote:

"Ran" at Sonoma.

If you mean they didn't try very hard... 'tis true. I was disappointed. Made me question the whole concept of "reality" shows. They seemed so real... to me.

Could have been worse, they could have shown up with their feet up their ass like The Car Show with Adam Carola did.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport