Topic: Helmet sizing

My current helmet is a 2005, so it's time for replacement.  I bought my existing helmet used from a teammate, so it was already "broken in".  It's a Pyrotech, size large and it fits well.   I'm not a huge guy, I'm 5'9" and about 170lbs.  I didn't think I had a huge head, but apparently I do.  I used the sizing chart and ordered a size large in this:  http://www.saferacer.com/zamp-racing-rz … ng-helmet?

It was painfully small.  As in crushing a grape.  I called Saferacer and they said the Zamp sizing is a bit off, so I returned it for size XL which arrived today.  It's a bit better, but instead of crushing a grape, it's now very firmly squeezing a grape.  WTF??  Is my head really that big, or is Zamp sizing really that small?  I know the helmet shouldn't be loose where my head can rattle around in it, but it shouldn't give me a headache. It seems to be squeezing in a lot of spots my old helmet didn't.  I also need enough room to be able to use a hooded cool shirt like this.  http://www.jegs.com/i/CoolShirt/114/CWH-XXL/10002/-1

Anyone else bought a new Zamp recently?  Did the sizing seem way off to you?

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

2 (edited by billybobster 2016-04-14 07:01 PM)

Re: Helmet sizing

Take a look at this thread. http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=31867

One of the issues in helmet fit is round head vs. oval head. Helmets seem to be good for one but not the other. I'm an oval head myself - helmet shop called it "an Arai head."

Via that thread, we got a read on a number of helmets round/oval but not Pyrotech or Zamp. Since I am shopping for a SA2015 currently, I'd like to know myself.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

I bought a new zamp last December and it was wayyy too big.  I used their measuring chart and rechecked my results and then pressed the order button.  It's huge inside.  So much that I just made a 5 hour one way trip to summit racing just to try on helmets.  I didn't want to buy another cheapo helmet and have it not fit or be safe.  So I tried on a bunch of helmets and ended up with a 2015 Simpson Bandit.  Love it!

" the only good thing hipsters have brought about is the canning of non crappy beers"

Just bought my new 2015 helmet but not after trying on some first, seems my noggin went down in size from last year LOL

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

5 (edited by Klayfish 2016-04-15 01:33 PM)

billybobster wrote:

Take a look at this thread. http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=31867

One of the issues in helmet fit is round head vs. oval head. Helmets seem to be good for one but not the other. I'm an oval head myself - helmet shop called it "an Arai head."

Via that thread, we got a read on a number of helmets round/oval but not Pyrotech or Zamp. Since I am shopping for a SA2015 currently, I'd like to know myself.

Didn't see that thread...guess I should read here more often seeing how it was started by our team captain.  He actually had mentioned the oval vs. round head thing to me too.  Guess I didn't realize how cartoonishly round my head must be because it really does feel like my head needs to be shaped like Bert from Sesame Street to fit in it.  I'll have to see if there's a race supply shop close enough to me to try a lot of things on.  I thought using the sizing chart would get me what I need, but apparently not.

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

If you're serious about buying a long-term high quality helmet, I'd recommend trying to find a shop that you can visit and try on different helmets. Everyone's head is different, so even the best sizing chart isn't perfect.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Klayfish wrote:

Guess I didn't realize how cartoonishly round my head must be.

I know how you feel. My head is cartoonishly oval. "Large occipital protuberance" is the medical term. My head has Sir Mix-A-Lot big back.

You know how some people look really good with a shaved head? Not me. I did it once and I looked like one of the aliens with the gigantic craniums in the pilot episode of Star Trek.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).