1 (edited by firegremlin 2016-05-12 01:23 PM)

Topic: Everybody should race minivans.

I was just thinking how awesome our race minivan was.

Especially back when it had a roof.

The advantages are INSANE.

Big brakes. Big motor. Heavy-duty suspension. Heavy-duty transmission. 1500lbs worth of interior, dual-zone AC, and all the other crap that you can take out, and end up with a roomy, quick, well-behaved vehicle that can be easily street-driven, including to the track - carrying all the spares for itself, a passenger, and still have room left over.

Strip, cut springs, cage, install race pads, done.

On one hand, I don't want to build anything, on the other hand, I really want another one.

K Car Stalker

2 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-05-12 01:47 PM)

Re: Everybody should race minivans.

The thing I am looking forward to with the Previa is the extra storage inside for gas cans, ez-ups, tires, etc. Is it going to the race? Throw it in the van. At night I can sleep in it and have a TRUE race car bed. Super sweet.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

The Bad Decisions dustbuster race van simply dusts us off on straight-aways...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiId9mHOiPM

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

4 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-05-15 02:51 PM)

SwarlesInCharge wrote:

The Bad Decisions dustbuster race van simply dusts us off on straight-aways...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiId9mHOiPM

Sadly, without serious investment of time, creativity and some money...that's all she's got in the turns.

Do it with a Aerostar and you even get the possibility of RWD, manual transmission, and V8 sounds.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

Do it with a Aerostar and you even get the possibility of RWD, manual transmission, and V8 sounds.

V8, really?  Don't remember the Aerostar coming with one I cannot see how it fit as the small V6 was really wedged in there.

OnkelUdo wrote:
mechimike wrote:

V8, really?  Don't remember the Aerostar coming with one I cannot see how it fit as the small V6 was really wedged in there.

I don't think they came with one from the factory, but since it's basically an enclosed Ranger, a V8 will fit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig-zShPeUDc

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

The Astro came with a v8 rwd so I've been told.

" the only good thing hipsters have brought about is the canning of non crappy beers"

Junkyards in Colorado are packed with AWD Astros. Swap in a supercharged 3800, DOMINATE in the rain!

And just think about the themes! Knock-off 70s custom van art!

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

The thing I am looking forward to with the Previa is the extra storage inside for gas cans, ez-ups, tires, etc. Is it going to the race? Throw it in the van. At night I can sleep in it and have a TRUE race car bed. Super sweet.

And when you get bored with the storage, toss another engine in the back!

Knoxvegas Lowballers - Team Mom: unfortunately that is my circus and those are my monkeys.
www.facebook.com/KnoxvegasLowballers

Both minivans we've had so far were used frequently as haulers, on the street. Great storage units, too - if anyone operates a race team out of an apartment (like I once did), being able to keep all your dirty oily tools/tires/crap outside, in the racecar, is quite a plus.

K Car Stalker

ViridianVixen wrote:
CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

And when you get bored with the storage, toss another engine in the back!

I prefer my motors next to each other.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook