1 (edited by yukadas 2016-05-24 08:20 AM)

Topic: $500 Lamborghini?

The body styling of Chrysler's LH platform is a direct descendant of the Lamborghini Portofino.

http://jalopnik.com/that-time-lamborghi … 1539006273

Hey, I'm trying to feel better about the thing in my garage!

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Re: $500 Lamborghini?

"Bonus points for anyone who remembers the Eagle Vision".
Do you lose points for having one?

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

(the setting is an old time hardware store fastener section)

A teammate and I are each standing in front of a pile of 3/8-16 bolts, running a nut down the threads checking for burrs and smashed thread form.  I have recently lost an argument about the merits of Grade 8 hardware in an exhaust flange application.  Not willing to give up the fight, I turn to the Grade 8 drawers and pull out a 3/8-16 x 3.5" bolt.

Me: Do you know what feels really good on these nuts?
Teammate (without looking up): Don't ever say that to me again.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Wikipedia in reference to the Eagle Vision wrote:

The appearance, still based on the cab forward exterior design of the 1987 Lamborghini Portofino concept, with its aerodynamic shape, made for little wind noise inside this large car. The engineering and sleek styling gives the Vision a low drag coefficient (0.31), on par with the Porsche 997.

yukadas wrote:

Me: Do you know what feels really good on these nuts?
Teammate (without looking up): Don't ever say that to me again.

You should review his team membership for not appreciating a great 8th grade line like this smile

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

http://i.imgur.com/DDFnZdj.jpg

Longitudinal front wheel drive for the win!

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Maverick74 wrote:

I keep telling my teammates that the driveline of this car was a Renault design with an Audi transmission copied and improved upon by Chrysler's engineering staff.  I'm glad someone else sees the full potential of this amazing platform!

yukadas wrote:
Maverick74 wrote:

...with an Audi transmission copied and improved upon by Chrysler's engineering staff.

Are you sure those were the right words?

Renault design with an Audi transmission copied and improved upon by Chrysler's engineering staff.

That's almost as good as if  Mercedes added their tech to Chrysler then sold the conflagration to Fiat ....  wink

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

OnkelUdo wrote:
yukadas wrote:
Maverick74 wrote:

...with an Audi transmission copied and improved upon by Chrysler's engineering staff.

I found this on The Wiki and it's what I'm basing my whole opinion on:

Wikipedia wrote:

The LH platform was based on the American Motors-developed and Renault-derived Eagle Premier. According to Bob Lutz, "[t]he Premier had an excellent chassis and drove so damned well that it served as a benchmark for the LH ... the spiritual father, the genetic antecedent of the LH is the Premier." Like the Premier, the LH-cars featured a longitudinally-mounted engine with a front-wheel drive drivetrain, unusual in most American front-wheel drive cars, but a hallmark of Renault's designs. This arrangement meant that the design team had to use a chain to connect the automatic transmission with the front differential, a design reminiscent of the original Oldsmobile Toronado though subject to greater wear and noise.

I don't know how the rest of you read that, by I see "Made it more like a Toronado" and I don't see how anyone could deny the level of pure awesome.

yukadas wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
yukadas wrote:

I found this on The Wiki and it's what I'm basing my whole opinion on:

Wikipedia wrote:

The LH platform was based on the American Motors-developed and Renault-derived Eagle Premier. According to Bob Lutz, "[t]he Premier had an excellent chassis and drove so damned well that it served as a benchmark for the LH ... the spiritual father, the genetic antecedent of the LH is the Premier." Like the Premier, the LH-cars featured a longitudinally-mounted engine with a front-wheel drive drivetrain, unusual in most American front-wheel drive cars, but a hallmark of Renault's designs. This arrangement meant that the design team had to use a chain to connect the automatic transmission with the front differential, a design reminiscent of the original Oldsmobile Toronado though subject to greater wear and noise.

I don't know how the rest of you read that, by I see "Made it more like a Toronado" and I don't see how anyone could deny the level of pure awesome.

Does it come as a surprise that there is a Toronado sitting in a teammates driveway?

cabinboy wrote:

Does it come as a surprise that there is a Toronado sitting in a teammates driveway?

Of course it's sitting in the driveway...the damn thing won't fit in any reasonably sized garage.

that's not even remotely close to the worst thing I've ever said in public, or to another racecar friend

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

cabinboy wrote:

"Bonus points for anyone who remembers the Eagle Vision".
Do you lose points for having one?

This is still one of my favorite things I've ever read on this forum.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Maverick74 wrote:

Is the trans under the engine like an El Dorado or behind the engine like a Legend?

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Behind.  It looks like a normal RWD bell housing, but from there it gets dumb.  The only thing that keeps it from being completely horrible is Chrysler engineering.

18 (edited by yukadas 2016-07-19 08:57 AM)

The best quote from last week.

The Eagle Vision came down off the jack stands for the first time in longer than I can remember.

Me: I think something is broke in the back.  It's sitting awfully high.
Teammate: I think you're wrong.
Me: You don't think it's sitting too high?
Teammate: I don't think it's broke.
Me: Good thing we have the sporty member of the LH family.

I would like to apologize to anyone who is behind us when the green flag flies on Saturday.

http://i.imgur.com/bJyvjW1.jpg

Oh, man. I need to get a picture of that thing the first time it takes a corner so I can capture how ridiculously it's going to lean.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

Oh, man. I need to get a picture of that thing the first time it takes a corner so I can capture how ridiculously it's going to lean.

You think it will survive more than one turn?

cabinboy wrote:
therood wrote:

Was wondering if anybody would pick up on that wording.  You guys aren't doing the Test Day, are you?

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

You guys aren't doing the Test Day, are you?

You're so funny......

therood wrote:
cabinboy wrote:
therood wrote:

Was wondering if anybody would pick up on that wording.  You guys aren't doing the Test Day, are you?

Actually, if we were smart we would run the test day, blow it up and go home and avoid the heatstroke.

therood wrote:

You guys aren't doing the Test Day, are you?

Shall I tell you our theory about there being a finite number of laps contained inside anything from the Chrysler LH platform?

No, we will not be using them BOTH on Friday.