Topic: What are you towing with your Tacoma

We are considering upgrading to an enclosed trailer. I have a 2005 4x4 Tacoma with the tow package. rated at 6500Lb. Never pulled more than about 4000, and expect a lot more drag with an enclosed trailer. anyone out there pulling an enclosed trailer with the Taco?

John

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

Re: What are you towing with your Tacoma

Upgrading to a useful enclosed usually requires either a real new (2014 up) 1/2 ton or at laest 3/4 ton if you want to get where you're going with any urgency.

I know of 2 full (obviously not a taco) size Toyotas that broke just doing regular truck stuff.  I think the rear wheel bearing issue has been re engineered, but it's rare to see a newish truck break rear springs.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I think your frontal area combined with total weight will make it challenging.  Even a lightly loaded, perfectly balanced 20' with a 2000# car, spares, tools, etc will be a minimum of 6000#'s.  So that is a 600-700# tongue weight which means not exceeding your GVWR likely involves the cab load of you and a cheese sandwich.

I you tow flat and short distances, try it...but get weight distributing hitch first and plan to upgrade rear tires at least to high weight rating...plus air shocks or air bags.

There are lots of budget tow rigs out there but your goals could be different than I think.  A 2wd Suburban even in 1500 trim should do you and up 4 passengers pretty well while towing 7K but watch the rear ration or go up to the 2500.  3/4-1 ton vans, especially conversion vans, are even better becuase they have no street value after they are more than 5 years old.

I've towed a 22' hallmark with my 11 tacoma DCSB 4x4,  and it was absolutely awful. It was so tongue heavy even with the load moved as far back as i could, without a brake controller it was a handful to stop, and it just felt like i was beating the shit out of my truck. I was loaded with tools and furniture, not a car, so I was able to really position the weight ideally and was under 6500 loaded, but it still sucked. I'm sure this isn't the news you want, but better than blowing a bunch of money on a trailer you can't use

Del Camino - Vodden 2015, 97th, Organizers Choice (best cartruck); Sears Pointless 2016, 51stl; Vodden 2016, 33rd; ArseFreeze 2016, 33rd

Speaking of Suburbans, my partner in crime has an 84 ish 2500 2wd w/ 454/T400 for $1500.00.  Under 80K miles, originally a California truck.  No tinworm prioblems.  New tires, rear brakes,  inspected.  A/c needs attention.

You can keep your little truck and tow your enclosed.  Just need another parking space.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Speaking of Suburbans, my partner in crime has an 84 ish 2500 2wd w/ 454/T400 for $1500.00.  Under 80K miles, originally a California truck.  No tinworm prioblems.  New tires, rear brakes,  inspected.  A/c needs attention.

You can keep your little truck and tow your enclosed.  Just need another parking space.

This is a good deal.  Please tell me it has the crushed velour in Whorehouse red or at least baby blue.

But seriously, a vehicle like this where I live adds about $160 a year to my insurance and cost $35 a year to tag.  It will drink fuel and weep at least one fluid it should not, the seats are like worn out sofas in your grandma's house but the things will tow!