Re: What can be done to make Lemons more attractive to spectators?

Race Monitor does output to a TV spectacularly.

Video may be out other than race cast me, but.......What about audio broadcast?

Also Seriously, you want streaming video from Lemons, get some RaceCastMe rigs. The only way it's going to happen is Hive sourced like that.

Heck.....nothing says RaceCastMe has to be installed only in a car......Track cam, etc....

Internet is still the big pain, but spread out it may work a little better.

Everything has to be done a little differently with Lemons. This I guess is no exception.

But Audio Broadcast. What's the bandwith need on that?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

lower the big entry fees local fracks have started imposing.... I invited a bunch of friends/coworkers to come watch based on previous $5 entry fees only to learn it'd been jacked up to $40 for the race.

While I was personally saddened that the People's curse hasn't been put to use in several years now, perhaps a reduced version could be put in place called "G'Home Gnome" or GTFO. After the first day of racing, people could vote for the team that they view as being the largest menace on the field (like noob teams who clearly bring $500 car-my-ass with minimal theming that is clearly way more powerful than they can control ). these people are them publically shamed and unless the judges decide to pardon them, they are forced to go home before day 2.

From what I've seen, the worst teams are eventually asked to leave by halfway through Sunday by that time. However, by that time they've already done quite a bit of damage to their own (and more importantly) other team's cars with their overly aggressive driving. I would be perfectly happy if the other teams had a way to vote them off the track earlier.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

theinvictus1 wrote:

lower the big entry fees local fracks have started imposing.... I invited a bunch of friends/coworkers to come watch based on previous $5 entry fees only to learn it'd been jacked up to $40 for the race.

I think I recall you are in Bakersfield so I am guessing you are talking Buttonwillow. Yeah, that is Buttonwillow's 10 dollars plus Lemons 30 dollar charge. It is too much for friends and family to come see what we do. But, as I think as has been mentioned here before, I think it is so high because Lemons doesn't really want spectators. More spectators means more people, more feral kids, more dogs that might get run over by one of us buffoons and I think they would prefer they just stayed away. I think the fact that it is $30 is the telling factor. Why that figure? Why not $20. Do they really care about making the extra $10? Do they need to? Probably not. But, a 20 dollar bill? Sure. My friends and family might think that is okay to throw away on watching me have fun doing something stupid for a few hours. But, a 20 PLUS a 10? That is too much. No way. We love you bro but you can show us pictures later. $30 is a psychological barrier. I think the insurers of Lemons are happier with fewer people wandering around, which makes Lemons happier.

The doctor is now out.

gunn wrote:

While I was personally saddened that the People's curse hasn't been put to use in several years now, perhaps a reduced version could be put in place called "G'Home Gnome" or GTFO. After the first day of racing, people could vote for the team that they view as being the largest menace on the field (like noob teams who clearly bring $500 car-my-ass with minimal theming that is clearly way more powerful than they can control ). these people are them publically shamed and unless the judges decide to pardon them, they are forced to go home before day 2.

From what I've seen, the worst teams are eventually asked to leave by halfway through Sunday by that time. However, by that time they've already done quite a bit of damage to their own (and more importantly) other team's cars with their overly aggressive driving. I would be perfectly happy if the other teams had a way to vote them off the track earlier.
-g

coughsolstice…cough…What?

As one of the younger generation of Lemons Racers, I had a reasonable thought on how to increase exposure without having to pay for TV and cameras and stuff. 

Why not use social media to expand viewership.  Someone live tweeting the event would be really cool, they could send out updates on who's in the lead, who broke down, any cool penalties that have been handed out, ect.  It would also allow for small snippets of info on different cars and whatnot.  You could even just make a # for each race and have the Lemons community help provide the content. 

There is also options for video content.  Snapchat (it's an app for us young whippersnappers)  has a stories feature where one user can make a series of 30s video or image snaps that can be viewed by anyone who follows the user.  More importantly though, they have a feature where you can submit snaps to an event.  They are then reviewed (maybe?) and the best are put in a collection that all snapchat users can see.  There was one for the the 4th of July and for the Henley Regatta in the UK.  It may be possible to have one created for a 24 Hours of Lemons Race.  This way drivers and team members can use their phone to share 30 second clips of anything cool they see.

I think either of these two options would be a great way to get lots of exposure, to the cool side of Lemons racing (the creativity, the themes, and the good times) without crowds  people at the track, or the expense of hiring a broadcast team.

Just my two cents.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Judge Eric has tried to do the live tweet / live update thing and I loved it.  Racecast has a chat feature for people to banter about while watching the coverage. For some reason, it'll let me on once but then never again reconnect to the chat function after my computer goes into sleep mode.

If there ever were an event to try to live stream with multiple cameras, I'd say the Anniversary Race would be the one.

For the Sadists out there, the 7-CLASS C-car effort a large group of arrive-and-drives are attempting at Buttonwillow at my invitation the week before the Anniversary race would be another good opportunity and test of the technology or setup.  While i'm personally terrified to have all of the potential foibles and inadvertent or otherwise accidental potential safety lapses captured and/or rebroadcast for all eternity, I think the overall amusement of it (and lessons to learn from it) would outweigh that.

I would need someone on the crew to manage all of the cameras, intermittent commentary, and whatever other demands there are placed on live streaming over social media-- but I'm happy to provide a free wristband and food for the weekend to anyone who wants to come do that Friday Sept 30--Sunday, Oct 2. I've also rented a garage so you can sleep in there if you'd like.

Signed,
Spankcissus

Spank wrote:

If there ever were an event to try to live stream with multiple cameras, I'd say the Anniversary Race would be the one.

Uh, yeah, we were happy two years ago when we finally had cell service at the track for those without Verizon.  I can imagine one live stream crashing all of the west coast of Michigan's wireless network until "4-finger Bob" the technician could come out and beat the tower with a large enough rock.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Spank wrote:

Uh, yeah, we were happy two years ago when we finally had cell service at the track for those without Verizon.  I can imagine one live stream crashing all of the west coast of Michigan's wireless network until "4-finger Bob" the technician could come out and beat the tower with a large enough rock.

Um, there was like three or four cars streaming video from Gingerman back in April. It seemed to work alright.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Maverick74 wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
Spank wrote:

Um, there was like three or four cars streaming video from Gingerman back in April. It seemed to work alright.

I am pleasantly surprised at my ignorance.  That new tower must be actually made of technology from this century.

Yes I'm out here in buttonwillow, I tailgated at several Lemons races before I scraped the money together to race.  If it had been $30 back then to watch I fear I would have never caught the Lemons racing bug.

I take my Lemons car to cars and coffee here locally, I get a lot of inquiries about the series which helps spread the wors

Keep in mind the $30 price is a full access pit pass with all the liability and insurance that implies.

It would be cool to have a cheap stay away spectator class, but then that requires crowd control people and all kinds of other headaches.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Maverick74 wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
Spank wrote:

Yeah, actually I brought a big TV, hotspot, and MacBook into the tower and had the streams playing live for anyone who wanted to watch. However I am not sure how entertaining it was for random spectators...Really could use some commentary or a "man on the ground"

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

Would it be possible to transmit commentary via a small FM radio, or to a streaming service, so a roving reporter or two can keep the teams and spectators posted on what is happening?

I was given a credit card sized FM radio at a race one and used it to listen to the broadcast of the race I was at.

I don't think it would make one spec of  difference in regards to the OP, but it seems like you already have the tech to make it happen.  Dude sitting in control tower with a laptop/webcam doing their own racecast feed playing Vin Scully calling the action they see in front of them and also on the racecast feeds. 

Phil would make an excellent Vin Scully  .....There's a caution in turn 2 involving a Cutlass Calais spin.....did you know that in 1981, GM had  backchannel communications to Breznev regarding the A-body cars and their suitability for crossing from Alaska to Siberia....... and it looks like we're green again!.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

The most reasonable would be a live blog. FM would need FCC approval I think. The tracks usually already have one linked to the PA, but that would be up to Jay who gets to touch that, and it probably ain't us.

Or Audio stream, but now everyone needs to have Bandwidth to get it, so on track it's a problem.

And for "Why the Yellow Flag" someone would have to scanner into the ops radio and just listen to it all day because Race Ops is too busy to be hassled by us. He has to listen to like 10-20 flag stations plus tow trucks and everything. It's like ATC in there. And that's assuming it's not all landline or encrypted.

117 (edited by Guildenstern 2016-08-16 04:59 PM)

Apparently you can run micro FM transmitters without FCC.

http://www.gobeyondnow.com/FM_101.htm

You'd need one of these here.

https://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Lo … 1DMBTVWEXK

That's what I was thinking. I knew there were FM transmitter and receiver kits people can buy and make.

It sounds like the unit in the link could cover a paddock.

Phil messed with one at an event at Autobahn.  It worked ok, actually probably better than it should since he picked the same frequency as an actual rasio station that you could pick up a station at the track.  Staff wise I don't think they have enough people to do a commentary for 15 hours over a weekend.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

So this is going to make Lemons more attractive to spectators?  tongue

cheseroo wrote:

Phil would make an excellent Vin Scully  .....There's a caution in turn 2 involving a Cutlass Calais spin.....did you know that in 1981, GM had  backchannel communications to Breznev regarding the A-body cars and their suitability for crossing from Alaska to Siberia....... and it looks like we're green again!.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

BoB wrote:

Staff wise I don't think they have enough people to do a commentary for 15 hours over a weekend.

No and I doubt it's high on Jay's "I should really spend more money on this" list.

That being said, Eric Rood.

I think it would help both with spectators and teams and their families. For spectators they could watch the race and have a clue what is going on. For people in the paddock, same thing, but they'd also understand the nonsensical parts, which would be plenty. Of course there's what's going on on track, yellow and spins and such, and with the help of race monitor the announcer could pick out teams that are dicing for position, comment, ridicule, etc. Then there is "Penalty", where we might get some, "Well look who's back, twice already in the first hour of racing. Let's see how bad this is.", then sticks the mic in the driver's face and commences with the interrogation/excuses/contrition/penalty/bribes/clemency/probation, in other words, Lemons hell.

Or when a team blows up, send them a message that they are wanted at the FM booth ASAP, and have them come over and tell their story of woe, of pain, of humiliation, then ask them whose fault it was.

Or if we ever play TV Show bingo again, announce each time a box is checked and when bingo is called.

Of course there's always Friday, with the parade through tech and BS. "Well it looks like Rooster Juice is back again with their never-finishes-wheels-fall-off Porsche. Let's see what they have to say..." And of course they do a bang up job of sounding like pro racers.

Meanwhile, everyone in the paddock is listening and laughing.

But, it is work, and Jay's people already work at least as hard as we do, at every race. So maybe Montoya or Adrian or Sparky Pete or other Lemons personalities could do stints on the radio for west coast races, and whoever, I barely know anyone from the eastern lands, but they could do it as well.

Of course, we could invite/trick/abduct a regular FM station crew and get/force/bribe them to do this.

Mike

m610 wrote:

Of course, we could invite/trick/abduct a regular FM station crew and get/force/bribe them to do this.

What about the Daily Tourismo Radio dudes. They already have Lemons experience and interview a bunch of LeMons-affiliated team members.

http://dailyturismoradio.podbean.com

(however, they may still need some polish: I mean, they made the interview with Jay Lamm episode #25.... Couldn't they have thought ahead just a week or two?)

I'd watch the crap out of a Magnus Racing-style podcast from the penalty box. They just point a camera at a table in the pits during the race and somehow make captivating livestreams out of just that.

(Especially if someone bribed Phil with psychedlic mushrooms.)

The Sonoma races do that. The mic positioning isn't great, but it's a fun watch. Especially with Judges who demonstrate more Physical displays of aggravation.