Re: SoCal Race-ready Humber Super Snipe -- SOLD!

the wheels in my head are spinning, but the gears are grinding more than 4th gear at the Loudon race in the Prelude...
Gotta sleep on it...

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Opus #28  (still can't win anything...)

My California Zephyr Schedule has me arriving in SanFran at 2PM Christmas day..

Not quite a fly and drive, but nothing that should be railed against...

One of you guys needs to step up and just buy the dang Snipe already...

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural LeMons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!

Spank wrote:

I have a guest house going unused. It's rustic, but has a queen bed and a bathroom and a kitchenette.

And I'm also going to perhaps need a housesitter between holidays...

If someone wants to fly out and drive the Humber back (and flat towing the hyundai (cough cough) I'm happy to host you at Casa Spankford & Son's.

And by "host you" I mean letting you stay at our place but you gotta entertain yourself cuz I'm a terrible host.

Very kind of you to offer....
(Looks like you use up all your hospitality at the Lemons races...!  quite the host at the races!)
Thanks!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Opus #28  (still can't win anything...)

Type44 wrote:

Have to get there before I can buy it.

Cooter wrote:
Type44 wrote:

Have to get there before I can buy it.

You got dibs...

At this point, I am just fantasizing (since it is another 5 months till the next race) about using this to drive to work, so that every day the commute feels a bit like a Lemons race

Anyways, I don't even know how I would get it (cheaply) to the East coast (K-car it forward?), nor how I would get 2 cars to a race...I have a hard enough time with one car....although there seem to be no shortage of idiots on this coast, willing to participate in this race.....
Plus, the big bonus is that I could just drive this car to a race...

Cooter: if you end up buying it, and you need a place to store it for a few months, my mother lives in The City (SF) and you could park it in her driveway....I'm sure she would not mind...(free).  Otherwise, if you decide to pass on this car, I might try to come up with a fiendish plan to acquire it...plus I would need to rationalize it (find an excuse) to then sell the idea to the wife...

mz

I really want it for the Moscow Rally.  My biggest worry is that, unlike most every other poorly conceived fly/bus/train/drive and drive/ride I have done, on this one my 14 year old daughter is coming with me. I usually go it alone, or with an equally common sense challenged friemd.  I'm not sure she will laugh off a breakdown in the middle of nowhere as well as I do.  Any idea what I might need ignitonwise for this thing if it dies on me?  I already know about the fuel issues; what does it have for a fuel filter right now?  Does it have any provision for heat at all?

"Snipe it Forward"

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
16x Loser with the Celica. 5 times loser in other fine machines

Cooter wrote:

I really want it for the Moscow Rally.  My biggest worry is that, unlike most every other poorly conceived fly/bus/train/drive and drive/ride I have done, on this one my 14 year old daughter is coming with me. I usually go it alone, or with an equally common sense challenged friemd.  I'm not sure she will laugh off a breakdown in the middle of nowhere as well as I do.  Any idea what I might need ignitonwise for this thing if it dies on me?  I already know about the fuel issues; what does it have for a fuel filter right now?  Does it have any provision for heat at all?

While I would be willing to embark on such an adventure, I am reluctant to allow a lady of such tender years to be subjected to the very real dangers of this rally in the dead of winter..   Also, there are a number of maintenance items that would have to be completed before driving cross-country:   There may not be enough time to complete them.

1. The windshield wipers need work.   Besides new blades (available from Moss Motors and other British suppliers), the passenger side wiper only moves in small spasmodic jerks.   I think the problem is in the gearbox.   I have a set from the previous Snipe, but I don't know if they are compatible.

2. A voltage regulator (included) needs to be installed.   I had installed a single-wire alternator which worked great.   Then the bearings gave out and I needed a new one pronto.   The replacement turned out to NOT be single-wire, but needs an external regulator.   It is running total-loss until the regulator can be wired in.

3. While the engine starts and runs OK, I strongly suspect that something is wrong and I don't know what.   It might be ignition, it might be the carburetor.   It just doesn't "feel" right.

You ask about ignition parts.   It uses a Lucas DM6A distributor.   Moss Motors carries the usual parts: Cap (872-800), Rotor (872-795), Points (872-862), and condenser (154-000).   It is currently running NGK B6ES plugs, but you might want to consider a hotter one (B5ES) for winter driving.

I think the fuel issues are all resolved.   It only used one fuel filter (NAPA Gold 3002) on the LeMons Rally.   In a mistaken attempt to solve a non-existent problem, I installed a second fuel pump at the tank, so there is no fuel delivery problem.   The pumps are both generic after-market electric pumps.

As for heating, there is a lot of work to do there.   I left the original heater in place, but removed the hot water hoses and just looped them at the engine.   That is trivial to re-connect.   All the duct hoses had disintegrated, so they need to be replaced.   The blower, which mounts near the right headlights needs to be re-installed and re-wired, along with the duct hose (roughly 4" diameter) to the heater.   The interior hoses (roughly 1.5") also need to be replaced.   Even after all that, I don't know if the heating system is functional, since I never used it.

Remember that all the interior insulation and panels are stripped out, which is going to make it impossible to keep warm.   Instead of a dead air space in the doors to provide insulation, all you have is the sheet metal door skin to keep the cold out.   The car originally had 3/4" or more of horsehair insulation on the firewall and floors, but none now.

The engine takes forever to warm up, which is an advantage in hot weather.   The only time it overheated was in Death Valley.   You might want to consider rigging something to cover part of the radiator.

On the plus side, the fact that it is a wagon means you have lots of space for your winter survival gear.

Alan

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in LeMons has won an IOE!"

Thinking this through some more, and I am going to have to pass. While my daughter won't be on the rally, she would have to ride 30+ hours back to Chicago in it. There is just a little too much to get squared away without enough time.  Plus, the risk of being on the side of the road in the winter is just too high. Ice I was solo, I would already have the trip lined up from San Fran.

!

FOR CRAP'S SAKE, SOMEONE BUY THIS CAR.

Instant legend status.

Email sent, hopefully you received it. 

Think it will enjoy living in North Texas if I can figure out how to get it here?

stewf1 wrote:

Think it will enjoy living in North Texas if I can figure out how to get it here?

Well,(gulp) I offer my services in a Snipe-delivery relay race... If it's running and roadable,  I can't promise to pick it up in LA, but If it can get to Phoenix, even Quartzsite, I can see it down to the edge of AZ/NM. I have Snipe-herding experience smile

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural LeMons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!

stewf1 wrote:

Email received and answered.   I am sure it would enjoy living with anyone who appreciates old British iron.   You'll have the only one in town!

Sadly, it appears that something else has come up that I've got to use the $$$ I've been squirrelling away for these types if investments.  Perhaps if it's still available in a few months, I can make it happen...

Stew

Yet another price reduction, this time to $1299.   You can't buy a cage for that price, but here you get the car, cage, and all these extras:

Corbeau race seat with slider -- $free
G-Force camlock harness (New August 2014 -- 3 years left) -- $free
9 pound fire extinguisher w/quick release bracket -- $free
Four spare wheels and tires -- $free
Two unmounted spare tires -- $free
Factory workshop manual and parts catalog -- $free
Spare twin Stromberg carburetors and manifold -- $free
New spare car cover -- $free

And several boxes of miscellaneous spare parts.

Make my neighbors happy and get this unsightly, er, beautiful piece of British craftsmanship out of my driveway.   Then I can start work on restoring my Triumph TR4.

Someone texted me and asked for some interior photos, so here they are.
These are all 800x600 pixels, but if anyone wants full-resolution versions
or closeups of something, just let me know.

First, the mighty Armstrong-Siddeley 3.0 liter inline 6 hemi:

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9769b.JPG

And then the interior of the car:

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9773b.JPG

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9774b.JPG

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9775b.JPG

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9777b.JPG

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9778b.JPG

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9781b.JPG

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9783b.JPG

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9784b.JPG

It even has the original wood dash!

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9785b.JPG

The rear with the plywood "floor" in place (for neater hauling):

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/snipe/IMG_9789b.JPG

Has the steering column been replaced with something more impact-friendly, or (this would be weirder) does some 1990s airbag steering wheel just magically fit the Humber splines? Trying to understand what I'm seeing here!

There were complaints that the original large steering wheel made it feel like driving a bus.
This one is from a 1990s Volvo 850.   A little machine shop work mated the Volvo steering
wheel to the hub of a spare Super Snipe one.   Everyone likes it a lot more.

CowDriver wrote:

There were complaints that the original large steering wheel made it feel like driving a bus.
This one is from a 1990s Volvo 850.   A little machine shop work mated the Volvo steering
wheel to the hub of a spare Super Snipe one.   Everyone likes it a lot more.

They think it's the STEERING WHEEL that makes it feel like driving a bus?
not the throttle response, braking, or cornering prowess?

smile

I can't believe that nobody has bought this car yet. This is a steal for a turnkey LeMons car with street registration!

Seems like a candidate to continue the K-It forward/Ramble On legacy. 

Hum Along for the Ride?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)
1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless)
1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites) (Sold -> Houston.  Gone and forgotten)

Type44 wrote:

They think it's the STEERING WHEEL that makes it feel like driving a bus?
not the throttle response, braking, or cornering prowess?

smile

No, those are things that make it feel like driving an ocean liner.   :-)

cheseroo wrote:

Seems like a candidate to continue the K-It forward/Ramble On legacy. 

Hum Along for the Ride?

I liked Spank's "Snipe Away" too... Fun idea... I'm too chicken to drive that on track again smile

This makes selling the Jagvair seem impossible, well Viking burial it is.

Judge's Choice - 2015 PNW - Most Heroic Fix - 2014 PNW 
Jagvair - fast and squishy - 1960 Corvair w/ 1993 Jaguar XJ6 moving bits
Transcontinental Drifters Facebook Page
Don't step on your dick.