1 (edited by SpaceFrank 2016-06-06 07:54 PM)

Topic: My Non-Mechanic Brother Needs a Car

My brother needs to buy a car. He is not mechanically inclined, so the prime considerations are reliability and cost of maintenance. I know we all have a skewed definition of reliability, so think reliable in terms of a car you'd buy for your kid at college who never learned how to hold a wrench, not reliable in terms of "well it's great as long as you do A, B, and C every other week and keep an eye on X, Y, and Z." He's responsible enough to get the oil changed at regular intervals, but aside from that he probably won't do much in the way of preventative maintenance.

He has $5000 to spend. He told me he wants something with some ground clearance and cargo space, preferably big enough to put a bicycle in the back. He doesn't want a pickup truck. To me this says SUV, but I'm open to hearing other suggestions. He prefers a manual transmission, but this doesn't sound like a deal-breaker. He doesn't care which wheels get driven. HP and torque ratings are not a concern, but good mileage would be a plus. He's a pretty big dude, probably 6'2" and 280ish. He doesn't drive like a maniac as far as i know, but he is a bit of a bull in a china shop, so something hard for him to break would be nice.

I'm thinking the lowest-mileage 4-banger Toyota Rav4, Isuzu Rodeo, or the like that he can find. Thoughts?

Edit: If it matters, we're looking to buy the car either in Houston or the I-12 corridor in Louisiana (Hammond-Slidell).

Re: My Non-Mechanic Brother Needs a Car

I found this site helpful when considering which makes and which years are better than others.  RAVs for an example, there are years to look for and years to avoid.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/

PT Cruiser, best car you can buy. get the turbo model for extra kick in the privates.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Outback and make sure it is a not a headgasket muncher year...or intetionally get one with blown head gasket and pay a good shop to fix it right aspart of the $5K
Mazda5's have dropped into that price range but are rare
If fuel economy is not a concern, Xterra.

I do not bring up the Rav4 or CRV because at least where I am, if they are in the $5K rane, they are beat to crap or pushing 300K miles.  So they fit the category of "reliable in town with me as support" but not appliance reliable.

Highlander Hybrid or Escape Hybrid.  Great milage, lots of space, cheap, will run forever, can put a proper hitch on the back for bike rack.

Ended up finding him a 1998 Ford Explorer with 4.0L V6 and 156k miles for $2600. Plenty of cash left over for potential problems down the road, but I didn't see any glaring issues. Almost new tires, ran and drove with no issues, and the A/C works. Only thing broken was the cruise control. Single-owner trade-in that hadn't even made it to detailing at the used car lot.

Super reliable but VERY thirsty option.  Also 8-finger Bob the corner mechanic can fix anything on it.

I believe that is an OHV motor but I cannot remember if that has the less than accessible timing chain issue.  Even if it does...I have 17 of them in my local PnP.