Topic: $300 To Spend on Tools

If you were developing your shop and looking to spend around $300 on some new tools what would you get?  I have a set of wrenches and sockets that work, but nothing incredibly nice.  Here what I am thinking about

Dewalt Electric Impact
Harbor Freight Air compressor and Impact
HF 26in Tool Chest
Craftsman wrenches and sockets
HF floor jack.  (I have a small one, but it only has 14in of lift)

I know there is a lot of controversy over tool brands and there is no need to start a war.  I have decided to go with craftsman because of the value and warranty. 

What do people recommend I get? I am leaning toward an electric impact, but I still could go air.  A full size tool chest would be nice though, working out of toolboxs now.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: $300 To Spend on Tools

Pick air or electric for impact. Honestly my air one is way stronger than my battery powered one. Air is nice because of all the other air tools you can buy down the road.

make sure your socket set has a full set of 6-point sockets. When you start fighting with old rusty bolts you strip them faster with 12 point.

The Harbor freight aluminum jacks are really nice, do get that.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

if not in a rush, you can probably find a shop closing sale on craiglist. you can get some quality tools that way.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

TheEngineer wrote:

Pick air or electric for impact. Honestly my air one is way stronger than my battery powered one. Air is nice because of all the other air tools you can buy down the road.

make sure your socket set has a full set of 6-point sockets. When you start fighting with old rusty bolts you strip them faster with 12 point.

The Harbor freight aluminum jacks are really nice, do get that.

So I do want to go air, but I was thinking that electric would be more convent to bring to races.  Air would be smaller though.  I don't really have the space or the budget for a huge air compressor and tank. 

We will get a HF floor jack eventually,  probably worth the money just never got around to it.

http://nwct.craigslist.org/tls/5611622766.html

http://nwct.craigslist.org/tls/5628554109.html

http://nwct.craigslist.org/tls/5624209814.html

I say get the electric impact wrench.   Electricity is more available at the track than air.
I got the Harbor Freight one and have found it to be perfectly adequate.

For tools that you are only going to use at home/shop, air tools will save you some money as well as being lighter and smaller.   But weigh this against the hassle of the air hose versus an extension cord.   It's a lot easier to take a 100' extension cord out to do some work at the end of the driveway than 100' of air hose.

If you decide to go with air, get the largest compressor/tank that you can.   Not only can't the smaller ones keep up, but the noise will drive you crazy (especially the "oil-less" ones).   My first compressor was an oil-less one, which was stolen less than three months after I got it.   I was actually glad, since it gave me an excuse to get a good one.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:

I say get the electric impact wrench.   Electricity is more available at the track than air.
I got the Harbor Freight one and have found it to be perfectly adequate.

For tools that you are only going to use at home/shop, air tools will save you some money as well as being lighter and smaller.   But weigh this against the hassle of the air hose versus an extension cord.   It's a lot easier to take a 100' extension cord out to do some work at the end of the driveway than 100' of air hose.

If you decide to go with air, get the largest compressor/tank that you can.   Not only can't the smaller ones keep up, but the noise will drive you crazy (especially the "oil-less" ones).   My first compressor was an oil-less one, which was stolen less than three months after I got it.   I was actually glad, since it gave me an excuse to get a good one.

I was thinking of getting a cordless electric one.  The Dewalt 20V is a lot of money, but its 700ft/lb with over 1000ft/lb loosening.

I did an A&D over the weekend. The car owner had a cordless Milwaukee Impact driver. It took off wheel lug nuts with no problem. Nice tool!!! But it $250 new. So for the garage, and maybe at the track, yes get a big electric Impact driver.

Shop Craigslist for used Ryobi 18 V impact driver and drill. The lime green ones. Not good for taking off tight lug nuts, but good for taking things apart fast, once you've loosened things with the breaker bar. Find homeowners who want the drill and sell the impact driver cheap. Then buy the bigger batteries at Home Despot (2 for $55). or find a set and get the drill too. Cause you'll need to drill holes in your car at the track.

Shop CL for used Craftsman wrenches
1/2 craftsman breaker bar

Shop CL for Kennedy tool chests, old school less desirable, maybe cheap.

Tap and die sets on CL also. metric or standard depending on your car. Or the craftsman dual set

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

I love my battery impact. I use it at home even though I have air tools.

Battery sawzall is also nice.

rlchv70 wrote:

Battery sawzall is also nice.

But do NOT get the Harbor Freight (Drill Master) one, it sucks big time.   I tried to use mine to cut down a 1.5" diameter sapling, and it failed.   So I got out 150' of extension cord and my Milwaukee Sawzall and that took care of it with no strain.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

The harbor freight 20-ton press. It's cheap and I use it constantly

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

My list if you are too impatient for CL cruising:

Jack...every team member now has one of these and often $69 with coupon:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low- … 61282.html
Ryobi cordless impact wrech is weak compared to the the bigger Dewalt but the batteries were there (I got minr for $69 on CPO tools):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18 … /205885687

A good breaker bar, 4-5 extensions and wobble extension and a few key speed wrenches should all be from slightly better quality than Harbor freight but otherwise we have built and maintained 2.5 Lemons cars for many years with only one or two 13 MM sockets getting killed and I think on 10mm 1/4" socket dying.

Jack stands are another one where you either need to buy well or always keep and eye on them...the broader the base, the less they like to tip while you are jacking the other side.

CHEAP 4 1/2" grinder

Two nice hand-carry tool boxes and a bag for longer stuff.  You can get 24-26" 4-drawer boxes for all the sockets and misc wrenches. a 24-26" top opening with tray for bigger stuff and then the large canvas bag takes prybars, breaker bars, cheaters, jack stands the 32" pipe wrench, 3# hammer, 5# hammer, Ford hammer (mini 10# sledge). etc.

Cheap off brand "rhino" ramps are nice to have, too.

Finally, a rotary tool (dremel) with Dremel's excellent quick change cutting discs, plus a couple of end mills/carbide burs.

OnkelUdo wrote:

My list if you are too impatient for CL cruising:

Jack...every team member now has one of these and often $69 with coupon:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low- … 61282.html
Ryobi cordless impact wrech is weak compared to the the bigger Dewalt but the batteries were there (I got minr for $69 on CPO tools):

A good breaker bar, 4-5 extensions and wobble extension and a few key speed wrenches should all be from slightly better quality than Harbor freight but otherwise we have built and maintained 2.5 Lemons cars for many years with only one or two 13 MM sockets getting killed and I think on 10mm 1/4" socket dying.

Jack stands are another one where you either need to buy well or always keep and eye on them...the broader the base, the less they like to tip while you are jacking the other side.

CHEAP 4 1/2" grinder

Two nice hand-carry tool boxes and a bag for longer stuff.  You can get 24-26" 4-drawer boxes for all the sockets and misc wrenches. a 24-26" top opening with tray for bigger stuff and then the large canvas bag takes prybars, breaker bars, cheaters, jack stands the 32" pipe wrench, 3# hammer, 5# hammer, Ford hammer (mini 10# sledge). etc.

Cheap off brand "rhino" ramps are nice to have, too.

Finally, a rotary tool (dremel) with Dremel's excellent quick change cutting discs, plus a couple of end mills/carbide burs.

We actually have everything on this list except for the jack (we have small one I got of craigslist) and the cordless impact

OnkelUdo wrote:

I would get this one because I already have the batteries from my drill and small impact driver(its the woodworking one for screws)

gtopat wrote:

I can't think of one thing to use it for.

Ok maybe wheel bearings...

I killed THREE HF electric impacts in three years.   All the exact same problems, either FWD or REV will just quit working.  If you are going corded, get a Dewalt or other brand name.

Upgrade to the larger, $100ish aluminum jack from HF.  It has a higher lift, and lifts more per stroke than the $69 one.  Just tighten all the bolts every month or so and it will be good.  Much lighter than steel, and works great. 

Add a BIG hammer to the list.  You will need it, trust me....
Quality timing light.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

mully006 wrote:

I would get this one because I already have the batteries from my drill and small impact driver(its the woodworking one for screws)

I have that. It works OK, though I was expecting a little more when I first bought it.
It can generate enough torque to remove a lug nut that's been tightened to 100 lb/ft.
Anything more and it struggles.
Check your local pawn shops, and let them know what your looking for.
They're a good place to find used tools.

Throw a 3/8" driver in your little impact. I use that more than anything else.
It'll get your wheel nuts tight, and then you go after them with the torque wrench.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

mully006 wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

That one is a beast!!! but it is also long.  My teammate has a shorter, but less powerful one.  Our Chief Mechanic has the one you posted and it really is powerful but so big it rarely gets used on thins like suspension components.

Mick25 wrote:

Quality timing light.

Why?  You got something as archaic as non-computerized ignition?

Honestly, our third build is the first time such an anachronistic tool could be used.  Even GM in 1993 had no use for such a beast.

mully006 wrote:
gtopat wrote:

I can't think of one thing to use it for.

Ok maybe wheel bearings...

Unless they are Germanic, doesn't everyone us a piece of pipe, a hammer and the old bearing?

21 (edited by EriktheAwful 2016-06-12 06:46 AM)

One good, heavy, metal work bench and a vise. Spend any left over money on a sturdy parts shelf. Shop garage sales, estate sales, surplus auctions, etc. I got my work bench for $20 from a neighbor who was divorcing her husband and wanted it gone.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Mick25 wrote:

Quality timing light.

Why?  You got something as archaic as non-computerized ignition?

Honestly, our third build is the first time such an anachronistic tool could be used.  Even GM in 1993 had no use for such a beast.

Plenty of us have cars that still have distributors. Daytona has electronic ignition, but you still have to set the base timing.

Plus a cheap timing light can be used for diagnostics. You can use to to see if the car is actually sparking without pulling wires and risking getting shocked.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I got tools.  Craftsman 311 piece set,  11 piece combination wrenches in and mm, extensions and screwdrivers.  Almost got a harbor freight air setup, but I decided I wouldn't get enough use out of it.

Dont forget S&K and Proto when looking for tools. Their quality as good if not better than Craftsman but most people don't know the name and pass them off as junk. I have a scratch and dent Proto top box that i picked up for home and the quality is right up there with my Snap-On boxes at work. I have the HF low pro long reach steel jack Its awesome and worth the extra $. +1 on the timing light but we still have points on the Lark.

OK, I realize I'm late to this thread since the OP already bought tools, but my few cents in here for anyone going through this themselves:

Go cheap on things you may use infrequently, quality on things that see more use.  The only Harbor Freight power tool I own is a grinder, and it's still in the box.  I recently picked up a 20v DeWalt Impact (ok, my work picked it up for me...) and I totally love it.  It sucks to have an expensive tool that won't do a job, drills/impacts without enough power, things that break, etc.  I bought the HF grinder on sale for cheap, if it fails, I can buy another easily.

Air Compressor from HF was a no brainer, definitely useful for multiple projects.  Agree with getting a larger tank if you can afford it and have the space.  You can also read up on converting various sized propane tanks to expand capacity later if you've got space to keep those.  Read up on keeping moisture out of the tanks, relieve the pressure and drain when you won't be using it for a while.  For me, that's basically any time I fire it up, when I'm done I pull the plug underneath since it will be months till the next use.

For Harbor Freight, watch those sale ads!  Sign up for their mailing list, and if you search online you can even find links to their Inside Track coupons even if you aren't a member.  All you need is the code at checkout.

Others have already said watch Craigslist for tool sales, shops clear stuff out often, people have garage sales, etc.  You'll end up with lots of mismatched brands, but you pay pennies on the dollar.  Engine hoists are a great thing to find on Craigslist, usually half the price of one from Harbor Freight, which is already a good deal with a coupon/sale ad.

Eventually, you'll want to have a complete set of tools for the garage, and another set that you take to the track or maybe the local salvage yard.  This other set should be tools you won't cry over if they break or go missing (not your high dollar SnapOn set). Again, watch the HF ads for basic wrench/socket sets, extensions, etc.  Sears also has a low cost line of tools I've picked up a few of as well.   I've only left a handful of things at the salvage yards over the years, but I learned quickly not to take my best stuff (which at the time was my only stuff).  I don't worry about lending someone a tool at the salvage yard or at the track for this reason.  If it comes back, I've made a friend, if it doesn't, I'm not out that much.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13